Can a video person please help me with some basic questions?

Author
Poco
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 746
2010/12/08 23:16:38 (permalink)

Can a video person please help me with some basic questions?

I have been using SONAR for years for audio only, and feel like I know my way around this part of the system.  I am trying my first video project (mostly to fix screw-ups with the audio portion of the video of a live performance).

First let me say that I did look at the manual, but it is sorely lacking any real, usable instruction on video editing.

1.  The video that I was given to work with is an avi file.  Is this a good format?
2.  When I export the finished project, is it possible to export it to a different quality\resolution that it was when I got it?  If not, how do I ensure that I export it in at least as high a resolution as it was when I started?
3.  Can I actually edit the video stream to create crossfades, edit out dead air, etc? or can I only alter the audio portion?  If so, did I miss something in the manual, or is there a good reference that you can point me to?
4. Should I request the video in chunks, or as one big file?

Thanks,

Poco

God People - God Music
Where there is no peace, it is not peaceful.

8 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Can a video person please help me with some basic questions? 2010/12/09 00:41:31 (permalink)
    AVI is fine, or was.  I'm not current on video formats

2.  I'm not sure.  I use vegas.  I can't even remember is SONAR renders video or just gives it as is.

3.  No.

4.  That, as always, depends.  Chunks, probably.

if you are doing video it would be worthwhile to pick up the studio version of Vegas.  It is about $50 and does most editing chores easily.  The papa version comes with lots of effects, but you don't need those for doing audio w/ video.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Can a video person please help me with some basic questions? 2010/12/09 11:00:42 (permalink)
    Depending on the codec inside the avi, avi's work great. If Sonar can open your avi then you're good.

Regarding 2: Yes, you can export an avi with the same quality. When you export, go into the codec settings and choose "none".  That will just use the video as-is without re-encoding it.

And as AT said, the baby version of Vegas will be  your friend if you're going to be doing sound for video in Sonar.
    Mage_et_lent
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    Re:Can a video person please help me with some basic questions? 2010/12/09 11:17:56 (permalink)
    If your system is not that fast, I recommend making a copy of your avi in a smaller resolution, so you can see more single pics of your video, if you want a precise synchronization.

Personally, I use Blender (a 3D free program) for mixing video, cross fading and many effects.
    You can add your audio too, once you are ready with Sonar.
    creynolds
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 189
    Re:Can a video person please help me with some basic questions? 2010/12/09 11:31:36 (permalink)
    Hi Poco

I am a pro TV editor of some 30 yrs. Simple advice:

Assuming its a simple single camera shoot and that you kept rolling throughout the gig.
    Import the audio you have into Sonar and mix and fix it to your hearts content. You can do this with a reference picture if you feel the need. Sonar is pretty tolerant of video formats and should load whatever you have codecs for. Just import the Video and it will play as Sonar rolls.

Remember:
    You can't move the video footage, trim or cut it in Sonar, so forget that and move your imported gig audio to the pictures to get them in sync. Mix and overdub away. When done export the audio mix to a file and import that into your video editing software and then do the same with the pics if not already there.

Reallign the two in sync, in your video editor software and then cut the two (video and audio) at the same time to retain sync when removing the dead time (or 'editing' as we editors like to call it ;-). Some software will allow you to lock the sync between the audio and video tracks or create a subclip that acts like a single shot that were born in sync.

Most of all have a cracking time and take regular breaks.

C

Rain Recording Nimbus. Sandybridge 2600k, 16gb Ram. Quadro FX 580, Roland Quad Capture. Avid Artist Mix and Transport. Loads of other cool stuff.
    Poco
    Re:Can a video person please help me with some basic questions? 2010/12/09 13:24:39 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it, and I am sort of glad SONAR does not do video editing.  It's just not my thing.  The guys that shot the video use the mondo version of Vegas, and here's how the workflow will go:

1.  They make all the video edits (it was a four camera shoot)
    2.  They export all of the songs as seperate AVI files (it was a live concert)
    3.  I import the AVI into SONAR, sweeten, re-record (one solo mike was completely dead), add strings, etc.
    4.  Export to AVI using the same filename as the one it came to me with, and according to the Vegas guy since it has the same name as what is already in the project, it will automatically sync up with what's there.  They won't even use the video I send back, just the stereo mix.  One nice thing about this concert, is that it was simultaneously recorded on 16 tracks, so I have a lot of latitude with the audio for CD and audio for video mix.

Best,

Poco

God People - God Music
    tarsier
    Re:Can a video person please help me with some basic questions? 2010/12/09 18:00:27 (permalink)
    They won't even use the video I send back, just the stereo mix.

In that case, why worry about exporting a video? Will they just accept your stereo mix as a .wav file?

Poco
    Re:Can a video person please help me with some basic questions? 2010/12/10 13:41:30 (permalink)
    tarsier

They won't even use the video I send back, just the stereo mix.

In that case, why worry about exporting a video? Will they just accept your stereo mix as a .wav file?

According to our video dude, if I give him avi files with the same name as what he gave me, when he imports it back into Vegas, it will automagically synchronize.

God People - God Music
    tarsier
    Re:Can a video person please help me with some basic questions? 2010/12/10 14:46:47 (permalink)
    That makes sense. Carry on.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1