1 pair of XLR's on the mixer. 3 pair of speakers

Author
Somanyquestions
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
2017/10/09 07:28:15 (permalink)

1 pair of XLR's on the mixer. 3 pair of speakers

Another day, another question ;)

How do people use several pairs of monitors if your mixer only has 1 monitor XLR output?

My situation would be 1 pair of studio monitors, a pair of PA monitors and a pair of normal speakers.

So the studio speakers would be for mixing and playback, the normal speakers for playback (how it would sound in one's livingroom and the PA for rehearsal. So is there a way to switch between these sets instantly, without removing cables? I can imagine there must be some kind of hardware switch for at least the XLR sets but what about the "normal' speakers that usually just have an open cable you need to insert in the back of your reciever? I can't really find a solution for that

As always, any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit: I'm looking at the Driverack 260 as i need something similar anyway for my PA system. Would this switch between at least my mixing monitors and the PA monitors?
post edited by Somanyquestions - 2017/10/09 08:15:27

10 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: 1 pair of XLR's on the mixer. 3 pair of speakers 2017/10/09 13:53:02 (permalink)

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Somanyquestions
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re: 1 pair of XLR's on the mixer. 3 pair of speakers 2017/10/09 14:45:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for your answer. But 900 dollars is way, way beyond my budget for this. So i hope there are cheaper options. I find it hard to believe that everyone who runs 2 or more speakers paid 900 dollars to do this.
    covecamper1962
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: 1 pair of XLR's on the mixer. 3 pair of speakers 2017/10/09 15:11:24 (permalink)
    I use this:www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLW333

But it is only 1/4" Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS). They do have adapters to go from XLR to 1/4" , but it could introduce noise or ground loops depending on what you are connecting.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: 1 pair of XLR's on the mixer. 3 pair of speakers 2017/10/09 16:35:19 (permalink)
    Somanyquestions
    Thanks for your answer. But 900 dollars is way, way beyond my budget for this. So i hope there are cheaper options. I find it hard to believe that everyone who runs 2 or more speakers paid 900 dollars to do this.

If you buy the Hosa until I'll make you TRS to XLR adapters for only $700US.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: 1 pair of XLR's on the mixer. 3 pair of speakers 2017/10/09 19:13:17 (permalink)
    Is there a brand and model of the mixer in mind or is this just a general question.  For specific mixers this sort of information enables people to help much more so.  Block diagram and manuals can be downloaded and checked.  

Generally though there are probably enough outputs to feed your main speakers for the PA, a set of other outputs of some description to drive studio (active I assume) monitors (e.g. Control Room Out) and the foldback sends driving your foldback system. All without patching. And there will be separate master controls feeding each of these scenarios. It would be a simple matter to adjust the send level to the required outputs. 

A lot of decent PA/studio mixers would have built in features that would be similar to what the Dangerous Music Source can do. That is good for connecting to a DAW to give all that input output monitoring connectivity for a computer plus a variety of other input sources.

A powerful combination if you can afford it would be the Dangerous box and a nice live mixer feeding a PA and monitors. Then the computer could be patched directly into the PA mixer.  Otherwise your interface attached to your computer will work fine as it is next to the PA mixer.

I have often done multitrack recordings and operated a PA at the same time.  What works real well there though is to use a fast interface on your computer. All the input sources go to them first then into the software.  With a good interface extreme low latency is possible and it is fine to have the PA being fed from special buses within the software. Without any perceivable delay. More interesting PA monitor mixes can bet set up that way. But sources can also go direct to the mixer and use the direct outs from the mixer to feed the DAW as per the more often conventional way. 

I would be looking for the PA mixer have the capability of sending separate channels digitally to your DAW as well. This will make multi tracking a snap too. There are some e.g. Presonus and these all work as a full PA mixer and with Studio One capture software making it simple and easy to capture everything live. 
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2017/10/09 19:34:22

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: 1 pair of XLR's on the mixer. 3 pair of speakers 2017/10/10 12:37:49 (permalink)
    I've been using a Samson C-Control for 2 or 3 years.  No XLRs, but it works great.  I don't use all of the features - mainly the multiple speaker/source selection capability.  $99 new ...

oops.  Discontinued.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: 1 pair of XLR's on the mixer. 3 pair of speakers 2017/10/10 14:21:31 (permalink)
    Even my little Yamaha 6 channel MX mixer has Balanced out for mains, Balanced out for studio monitors and RCA out that can feed a home stereo. Hard pressed to find a mixer that doesn't. The Monitor out has it's own volume but the RCA is always on at Unity. TRS is balanced same as XLR. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Unknowen
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1276
    Re: 1 pair of XLR's on the mixer. 3 pair of speakers 2017/10/11 19:13:21 (permalink)
    Somanyquestions
    Another day, another question ;)

How do people use several pairs of monitors if your mixer only has 1 monitor XLR output?

My situation would be 1 pair of studio monitors, a pair of PA monitors and a pair of normal speakers.

So the studio speakers would be for mixing and playback, the normal speakers for playback (how it would sound in one's livingroom and the PA for rehearsal. So is there a way to switch between these sets instantly, without removing cables? I can imagine there must be some kind of hardware switch for at least the XLR sets but what about the "normal' speakers that usually just have an open cable you need to insert in the back of your reciever? I can't really find a solution for that

As always, any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit: I'm looking at the Driverack 260 as i need something similar anyway for my PA system. Would this switch between at least my mixing monitors and the PA monitors?

I use this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLW333

Hay look,
    Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
    jackson white
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 283
    Re: 1 pair of XLR's on the mixer. 3 pair of speakers 2017/10/16 17:13:29 (permalink)
    This is a bit more $$ but the extra features (mono/stereo, mute, solid build) have proven to be quite useful in a small project studio.

http://new-old-sound.com/products/31-mcone-b

Patched in with TRS > XLR cables, no noise issues. 

--------------------
    Some pieces of wood with wires and bits of metal stuck in them, silicon and plastic
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: 1 pair of XLR's on the mixer. 3 pair of speakers 2017/10/21 00:31:51 (permalink)
    I use a Mackie big knob.
    I have 2 sets of powered/active mixing monitors in my control room and then I have a 3rd set of unpowered monitors running through a small peavey mark 4 PA to my drum room so they can hear talk back function (which I have on the big knob) This way I don't have to run in there every 5 minutes to tell them whats going on.

Its also nice to switch between monitors 1+2 in the control room while mixing and mastering.
    Listening through different speakers is essential in my opinion. it gives you a great variation (between the KRK's and the JBL's = My active monitors).

I bought my big knob from guitar center used for 49.99 AS IS.
    There was a button that needed to be sprayed out/ it wasn't staying down.
    Those things are a nightmare to open up though. actually opening it up is not the problem, pulling the circuit board is.
    Mackie used these cheap hex head screws that strip very easily. If your not careful, your screwed (ahh, no pun there)

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1