17" Laptop for SONAR?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
wthrman
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: 17" Laptop for SONAR? 2005/09/16 16:30:02 (permalink)

Hi Wthrman,

actually if your refering to the 17" P4 laptop they sell its a clevo D900 series.
which actually sucks really bad for audio. this is the same as the Sager 9000 series or the one we sell (D900)
it does rock for gaming and video editing!

Scott
ADK

Hi Scott,

Why do you say that model sucks? (just curious?) I've been using it for a few months now for several large projects and it's been great.

See ya,

Ron
jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
RE: 17" Laptop for SONAR? 2005/09/16 16:46:47 (permalink)
HI Ron,
try running the ADK Sonar test.

http://www.adkproaudio.com/downloads.cfm

Scott
ADK
samahmusic
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: 17" Laptop for SONAR? 2005/09/16 17:02:21 (permalink)
using a sager 17" from www.discountlaptops.com and it is kicking much *ss. I have a desktop dual opteron, and it's performing better than that computer. As a matter of fact, I'm selling that computer, [complete with a Lynx 2 card] so my confidence level is high with the Sager laptop. running Sonar, Cubase, all the spectrasonics stuff, Kontakt, Lounge Lizard, Absynth, etc............tons of vst's and other efx plugins, lots of audio and it's been great. Using the Sager NP 4750 V2 model, specifically, with 2 gig RAM. Also using a Glyph external netdrive via firewire, which has been flawless, as well. Audio interfaces I've been using are the Echo Indigo and the Apogee Mini Me, when I need to record. both have been great, via pcmcia [indigo] and usb [apogee]. Ultimately cost me less than a blown up Athlon 64 3700, with 2 gig RAM from Best Buy would have cost, and that would have had a 4200 rpm HD. The Sager has a 7200 internal. Great warranty and customer support, as well.
Hope that helps

www.samahmusic.com
jcschild
RE: 17" Laptop for SONAR? 2005/09/17 12:38:07 (permalink)
Hey Rock,

the 4700 series still uses AGP video and does not suffer from the PCIE issues that make the Clevo D900 suck so bad.

which is sold by Sager as the 9800 series, Alienware (the only 17" they have), and many others including us (only for video editing or gaming)

to say that, that laptop performs better than a dual opteron is, well ... ludicrous.

Scott reams benchmark test shows that as does our test. the 2 arent even in the same ball park.

Scott
ADK

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
RE: 17" Laptop for SONAR? 2005/09/17 13:14:53 (permalink)
i also have a viao fs570 with the bright screen .. and it is now my principle DAW .. i pretty much
don't use my desktop.

my only complaint about the FS570 is that the built-in realtek audio chip is a gigantic piece
of crap. .. i was hoping to use it for full portable usage .. but i have to drag my Mbox around ..
which is OK .. but that's my only ding on it.

other than that .. super stable .. i love the screen.

jeff
samahmusic
RE: 17" Laptop for SONAR? 2005/09/17 14:22:34 (permalink)
hey scott, "ludicrous" is a pretty strong word for this response to me. A few things. First, I sense that U must be offended because I bought my dual opteron desktop from U and now my laptop, which I bought elsewhere, works better for me. I never mentioned your name or company's name here, so I was simply responding to the post and being specific as to where I got the laptop, which is what the post was about. I think your machines are fine, but my post has nothing to do with U or ADK. Second, my laptop is outperforming my desktop, period. I don't know why, and I got great results from both your tests and Scott Reams' test as well, but in the real world use of both, my laptop has been better, and what do U think people are more interested in, or at least people interested in making music and not having great test results? They are interested in which is working better while making music. Don't forget, I do this for a living, so I think this post is valuable to anyone who cares more about the real reason to use all this hardware/software, as opposed to having the "biggest, fastest" computer. It's all about getting the song done, and in the end, my laptop is getting the job done better. My test is which computer is allowing me to continue to make money as an artist and a producer, not which computer gives me better numbers on your tests.
Real life.

www.samahmusic.com

jcschild
RE: 17" Laptop for SONAR? 2005/09/17 14:40:47 (permalink)
Hey Rock,
nope not offended at all, but you could have had a faster laptop.
yes strong word!
its just the statement that a laptop out performs an opteron. even as fast as the new Sonomas are (which are faster than a P4)
i only compared it to the older 533 2.8G Xeon. and that was just a low latency VSTi test. our laptop still couldnt do the 80 track 96k a Xeon could

all testing aside and real world only. you have a very portable studio with that laptop. this is far easier than lugging around a 50lb rack for sure.
and that laptop aint bad.

but in "real world" applications you would not be able to live gig running the same # of live samples as you would an opteron.
in a live studio setting you would not be able to track 24 tracks 96k live much less mix 100.
in a live setting you could not record 120 44.1 tracks at once.
in an editing mode, you could not run 200 effects and 100 samples and 150 tracks (mind you most dont, but for orchestration)
as a giga box used for orchestration you would not be able to run 600 voices.

what i do believe is that for the way you work and what you do is serves you far better than a 50Lb gorilla.

truth be told todays laptops have become very powerful and many who once required a desktop will no longer need one.
when the new dual core Yonah (Intel) (2006)and the AMD 939 X2 laptops come out (next month)
the number of people needing a desktop will be even less.
a true portable studio is now a reality!
~sigh~

Peace
Scott
ADK
BluerecordingStudios
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 916
RE: 17" Laptop for SONAR? 2005/09/17 16:48:55 (permalink)
For me a true portable studio is reality for about half year....See my specs....
samahmusic
RE: 17" Laptop for SONAR? 2005/09/17 18:52:30 (permalink)
those are great specs, scott. Anyway, to stay on the original question, U can definitely do what U need to do with the laptop I mentioned before. [Sager 4750] I use it and really push the envelope, and it has been great. I've finished probably 15 projects on it over the last 2 months already and haven't encountered any problems yet. I didn't have any real problems with Scott's machine, I just have been on the road and needed to get something more portable, so sometimes that's how U find a better solution. The ADK dual opteron is great, too. (anyone looking to buy it complete with a Lynx 2 card? U can go to scott's site to get the specs. ;)
I know I'm not supposed to do that. Anyway..................
Hope that helps.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1