Helpful Reply2 Questions: Where are my plugins?? Where is direct monitoring?

Author
daeser1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
2010/07/21 18:26:52 (permalink)

2 Questions: Where are my plugins?? Where is direct monitoring?

First off, i recently got a new DAW and so i installed my Sonar 8 Pro on it. I made sure to check every single plug-in during installation so that I'd have everything on there. But a bunch of my Cakewalk plug-ins are gone. Almost all of my Cakewalk audio effects are gone. I only use Sonar for recording audio and now i can't even do that. Should i just reinstall or is there a reason why these plug-ins don't show up on my new DAW.

Example of plug-ins I'm missing:

cakewalk delayed echo, Chorus, compressor, dynamic processor, expander gate, perimeter EQ, tap sim, reverb, spectra fx.

I've also run into a few different with direct monitoring?

1) There is no direct monitoring switch on the device and it seems that Sonar does not have a direct monitoring option on it. I use to be able to monitor my mic input on my last interface (Edirol UA-25EX), but that's because it actually had a switch and a nob that were both labeled "Direct Monitoring." How do people who use the profire 610 (with Sonar 8 pro) hear themselves as they record?

I thought i had solved this problem by enabling the tracks "echo" option, but the echo starts to become more and more delayed as each track is recorded. Eventually it becomes impossible to use. 

My specs:

DAW:

· Intel i7 930 · X58a motherboard
· SATA-III, TI Firewire, USB 3.0
· 6 GB DDR3 1600MHz
· 750GB & 1TB Hard Drives (32MB cache)

· Windows 7 x64 (64Bit) quad core

Interface:

· M-AUDIO ProFire 610
· 24bit/192KHz

Program:

· Sonar 8 Pro.
post edited by daeser1 - 2010/07/21 18:38:05
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
Re:2 Questions: Where are my plugins?? Where is direct monitoring? 2010/07/21 18:32:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
1. run your vst scanner to the folder locations of the install

Sonar does not have a direct monitoring option on it.

This doesnt make sense. Sonar is software and direct monitoring is done with hardware. Its done before it gets to your computer. Read your m audio manual to see if it has direct monitoring

On the bottom of #32, I describe zero latency recording
http://audio-mastering-mixing.com/FAQ___Q_A.html#32

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
strikinglyhandsome1
Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7224
Re:2 Questions: Where are my plugins?? Where is direct monitoring? 2010/07/21 18:49:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
The Profire 610 monitoring is on the software mixer that you get with Profire. Remember it is software that runs parallel. In other words anything you do on the software mixer for hearing or volume only affects what you hear but does not affect Sonar one iota.

On the Profire software you have analog in (1 2 3 4) and s/pdif in (5 6).
You have faders to increase the volume - as I said it's only what you hear and does not affect Sonar.

Direct monitoring is on when the M (mute) is not lit. It's off when the 'M' is lit. That's your on/off.
post edited by strikinglyhandsome1 - 2010/07/21 18:51:17
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:2 Questions: Where are my plugins?? Where is direct monitoring? 2010/07/21 18:55:13 (permalink)
onar is software and direct monitoring is done with hardware.

I think he's talking about ASIO Direct Monitoring, where you can toggle hardware direct monitoring from the host app, but SONAR does not support it. If the interface doesn't have a switch on it, he probably needs to go into the control panel/mixer that comes with the interface.
daeser1
Re:2 Questions: Where are my plugins?? Where is direct monitoring? 2010/07/21 18:59:00 (permalink)
CJaysMusic

1. run your vst scanner to the folder locations of the install
  Tried it. Didn't work. I also tried reseting all the VST-plug ins, but nothing happened. It seems like it's only missing the Cakewalk audio effects.

Sonar does not have a direct monitoring option on it.

This doesnt make sense. Sonar is software and direct monitoring is done with hardware. Its done before it gets to your computer. Read your m audio manual to see if it has direct monitoring
  Oh, well it does have that "echo" which almost worked as good as a direct monitor. I wasn't aware that programs don't have those. I've looked all through the Profire book, but didn't see anything on direct monitoring. I'm going start a new thread on Hardware for the profire problems because I'm also having other non-related problems with it. Maybe someone on there will know.
On the bottom of #32, I describe zero latency recording
http://audio-mastering-mixing.com/FAQ___Q_A.html#32
  I have all of my buffers at 64. Still having problems with the output delay. My asio reported latency is at 141. Is that good. What other info would help you diagnose the latency issue?

strikinglyhandsome1
Re:2 Questions: Where are my plugins?? Where is direct monitoring? 2010/07/21 18:59:31 (permalink)
1 When using the ProFire 610 DSP Mixer to create monitor mixes, be sure
to mute your DAW application’s recording channels (or, if possible, turn
off the application’s monitor mixing functionality altogether) to prevent two
separate cue mixes from being created (this can cause undesirable effects
such as phasing and slap-back delays). Conversely, if you wish to use your
application’s own monitor mixing capabilities, you will need to bypass the
ProFire 610 DSP Mixer to prevent “double-monitoring” from taking place.
This can be done by simply muting the input channels of the DSP Mixer.

2 Keep in mind that this mixer is for monitoring purposes only. All signals received at the hardware inputs are also sent directly to the recording application without being altered. The Monitor Mixer receives duplicates of these input signals to allow you to create a nearzero latency monitor mix. Changes made to the monitor mixer do not affect your recordings
(or your audio software), since the Monitor Mixer’s output is not actually being recorded.
Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
Re:2 Questions: Where are my plugins?? Where is direct monitoring? 2010/07/21 19:08:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Hi daeser1-
It seems like it's only missing the Cakewalk audio effects.

IIRC, not all of the CW FX are installed by default with S8. You can just go through the install process again and uncheck everything else, but be sure to check those missing FX.

HTH-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
strikinglyhandsome1
Re:2 Questions: Where are my plugins?? Where is direct monitoring? 2010/07/21 19:10:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Yeah, do a custom install and make sure the boxes are ticked for the ones you want.
daeser1
Re:2 Questions: Where are my plugins?? Where is direct monitoring? 2010/07/21 19:45:38 (permalink)
strikinglyhandsome1

The Profire 610 monitoring is on the software mixer that you get with Profire. Remember it is software that runs parallel. In other words anything you do on the software mixer for hearing or volume only affects what you hear but does not affect Sonar one iota.

On the Profire software you have analog in (1 2 3 4) and s/pdif in (5 6).
You have faders to increase the volume - as I said it's only what you hear and does not affect Sonar.

Direct monitoring is on when the M (mute) is not lit. It's off when the 'M' is lit. That's your on/off.

Wow, i messed with these levels for hours, but for some reason right after i read this and tried the digital mixer it worked. I'm sorry if i kinda wasted a thread.  but the manuel was so damn confusing and used different lingo than that, that I'm use to.
So, for the record the Direct monitoring was solved. I used the digital mixer (for the profire interface) and raised the slider on Analog Out 1/2. This gave me direct monitoring of my recordings via my Headphone #1 output.

Well, I'm still having problems with the cakewalk plug-ins..
Anyone ever had this happen after switching to a new DAW?
strikinglyhandsome1
Re:2 Questions: Where are my plugins?? Where is direct monitoring? 2010/07/21 20:04:23 (permalink)
I agree on the manual. For such important features that everyone uses I wonder why these paragraphs are added like extra tips and buried deep into it. Add on the fact that the mixer makes no mention of direct monitoring and you're just going to confuse people. The concept of the mixer being for monitoring only seems strange too but it all works and has its advantages.
daeser1
Re:2 Questions: Where are my plugins?? Where is direct monitoring? 2010/07/21 20:11:35 (permalink)
Susan G

Hi daeser1-

It seems like it's only missing the Cakewalk audio effects.

IIRC, not all of the CW FX are installed by default with S8. You can just go through the install process again and uncheck everything else, but be sure to check those missing FX.

HTH-

-Susan

Ok, so i went into it as if i was doing a regular installation because i think if you hit "browse files" you won't be able to find the plug-ins (and be able to install them). So after clicking on the general installation stuff (ex: location of files to be saved, 64-bit version (or 32 bit version), etc). It then told me another version of Sonar is on the computer and said something about resetting plug-ins. Then i went through all the files that had checks and I UNCHECKED them. Then I found the unchecked plug-ins that i wanted and so I CHECKED them. So, in my mind i didn't double download anything. Is that right? There aren't going to be 2 Sonar 8s on my computer are there? All i checked was the plug-ins that i didn't have.

Also, it appears the cause of this problem had some thing to do with the earlier option of choosing between the 64-bit version, and the 32-bit version. Some of the plug-ins that didn't work the first time said "32-bit only." And so this is my only guess as to why this problem occurred.
I'd just like to thank everyone for your help. I'm glad i got this all behind me because I have a bunch of clients who are just dying to record in my new studio.
I hope this thread helps someone out there.
post edited by daeser1 - 2010/07/21 20:36:22
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1