2 questions please

Author
ascottdesign
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 957
2008/09/30 19:25:09 (permalink)

2 questions please

A couple of questions please.
After spending several hours without any problems, while editing a 16 track midi audio project there has developed severe drop-out on a couple of tracks. I reduced the project to 6 tracks to se if this would help....It didn't. Might it be because I'm recording on 24 bit instead of 16.??? The processor is an AMD Athlon with 2.61Ghz and 4 Gigs of ram
I thought I would bounce the tracks to audio to preserve resources but regardless of how I try, it gives me the message (No audio data on specified tracks Can anyone please shed any light.
Thanks in anticipation

26 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/09/30 20:16:45 (permalink)
    Alan, when you are mixing and editing, you can, and should, bump your latency to a much higher value.
    When you are recording, less than 10ms is good, but for mixing, 50ms or more is fine. Latency is not an issue in this phase, and it gives your CPU some breathing room. The CPU can get pretty busy, especially with a lot of synth tracks running.
    As for the bounce, select the MIDI track AND the synth audio track. You need both to produce a bouncable track.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Nutty
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2056
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/09/30 20:33:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RobertB
    As for the bounce, select the MIDI track AND the synth audio track. You need both to produce a bouncable track.

This is the first time I heard this (of course I haven't produced anything this far yet). What if you have other midi tracks that will be bounced separately...do you not need the synth audio to bounce the other track?

The though just crossed my mind when I read this.
    post edited by Nutty - 2008/09/30 20:35:13

Nutty /Annette
    http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    RobertB
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/09/30 20:42:09 (permalink)
    You will always need the synth audio track to bounce, Annette.
    When you select the MIDI track, you are telling the synth what to play.
    When you select the synth audio track, you are telling MC what to listen to.
    The synth audio track is really an input, just like the audio track for a mic. This is kind of tricky to grasp, because it all happens in the virtual world, inside the computer.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/09/30 20:52:36 (permalink)
    As I was working on my most recent remix & recording,,, I was tracking and listening..all of a sudden it stopped, and a little red box popped up saying DROP OUT... I didn't know what was happening cause this has never happened before...... then I found out...... the computer was internet connected and was downloading a new update na dupdating virus definitions.... always see what's running in the background...... that might overload the cpu...

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Nutty
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/09/30 21:09:39 (permalink)

The synth audio track is really an input, just like the audio track for a mic. This is kind of tricky to grasp, because it all happens in the virtual world, inside the computer.

Okay, but if you have some midi files that were not included in the first bounced to track or whatever, would you have to insert a new audio synth for those tracks? I mean once you bounce the audio synth with some tracks is it gone bye bye for the remaining tracks? Yes I have a college degree, I just have a hard time getting my thoughts across these days

Nutty /Annette
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    Nutty
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/09/30 21:10:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Nutty

Okay, but if you have some midi files that were not included in the first bounced to track or whatever, would you have to insert a new audio synth for those remaining tracks if you wanted to bounce those tracks later or separately? I mean once you bounce the audio synth with some tracks is it gone bye bye for the remaining tracks? Yes I have a college degree, I just have a hard time getting my thoughts across these days

EDIT" I don't know why it is putting this inquotes?????
    post edited by Nutty - 2008/09/30 21:13:47

Nutty /Annette
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/09/30 21:28:17 (permalink)
    Maybe you're hitting the "Quote Original" button?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Nutty
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/09/30 21:28:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nutty

EDIT" I don't know why it is putting this inquotes?????

And I don't know why it's posting double messages. Man, this is really making me look bad. Now you know why I ask so many questions!!!! Believe it or not, I wrote legislation and regulations for our government department (Customs), before I got sick. I think that is why I ask so many questions, because you have to know it all before you start putting it on paper. I think I've tranfered those "skills" over. So, I'm not really dumb, I've julst lived in a bubble for a long time.

Nutty /Annette
    RobertB
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/09/30 21:29:06 (permalink)
    lol. I don't know how that happens. Maybe somethng to do with "fast reply"?
    The synth audio remains usable. You can bounce tracks 'til the cows come home if you want (or until you run out of tracks).
    If you so desire, you can bounce individual MIDI tracks, using the same synth audio track, to individual audio tracks.
    By selecting the synth audio track, you are merely telling MC where the sound is coming from.
    Again, it's tricky, because it all happens inside the computer, and you can't see what is happening.
    This would be a good concept to diagram, because so many people have a hard time understanding it.
    I'm going to have to list you as a co-writer on my tutorial, if I ever get it put together

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Nutty
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/09/30 21:30:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 57Gregy

Maybe you're hitting the "Quote Original" button?

There was en end quote that I deleted. I couldn't find a dangling beginning quote so I thought I was fine. And then it duplicated the message. Oh well...just another weird occurance.
    post edited by Nutty - 2008/09/30 21:32:47

Nutty /Annette
    Nutty
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/09/30 21:37:12 (permalink)

lol. I don't know how that happens. Maybe somethng to do with "fast reply"?
    The synth audio remains usable. You can bounce tracks 'til the cows come home if you want (or until you run out of tracks).
    If you so desire, you can bounce individual MIDI tracks, using the same synth audio track, to individual audio tracks.
    By selecting the synth audio track, you are merely telling MC where the sound is coming from.
    Again, it's tricky, because it all happens inside the computer, and you can't see what is happening.
    This would be a good concept to diagram, because so many people have a hard time understanding it.
    I'm going to have to list you as a co-writer on my tutorial, if I ever get it put together

Okay, being the visual person that I am..the audio synth does not disappear when it bounced with the tracks. Then that would make more sense.

The tutorial should be easy, I'll just go through "My subscrition" and it's all there LOL...Glad I'm useful for something here other tham a bit of comic releif. Cause if somebody asks as many questions as I do, you can only laugh about it after a while. And I seriously do try everythng before asking. I don't do "I'm to lazy to look for it"...kinda posts. I may have forgotten that I already asked a question, but that a completely different matter.

Nutty /Annette
    RobertB
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/09/30 21:50:29 (permalink)
    the audio synth does not disappear when it bounced with the tracks. Then that would make more sense.

That is absolutely correct. When you bounce, you are making a copy of the sound that is produced by the synth audio.
    ie, you are recording it to a new track.
    And to think you gave up recreational quantum physics for this.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/09/30 23:32:37 (permalink)
    ..."I wrote legislation and regulations for our government department"...

A gov'ment job, eh? Wish I could get one of them. Super benefits, little to no chance of getting fired. And with the gov. jobs in the states, it would seem you get paid more the less you do. My kinda job

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    ascottdesign
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/10/01 04:21:43 (permalink)
    Bob, I see and now understand what you mean about having to the select the synth audio track to make the bounce happen. Great got that working. Still hunting around to find out how to change the ms value.
    Been searching about in OPTIONS>AUDIO which gives me the Audio Options box and have tried various msec buffer sizes without any success.
    1) Am I altering the correct thing?
    2) Is the problematic track recoverable?
    3) Is it not strange that only one track in the project is affected?

Alan
    ascottdesign
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/10/01 04:25:19 (permalink)
    Herb, yeah have now got into the habit of pulling the plug on the internet before going into MC4. These uploads for virus protecton can be a real pain in the bum.

Alan
    Nutty
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/10/01 08:31:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gamblerschoice
    ..."I wrote legislation and regulations for our government department"...
    A gov'ment job, eh? Wish I could get one of them. Super benefits, little to no chance of getting fired. And with the gov. jobs in the states, it would seem you get paid more the less you do. My kinda job
    Later
    Albert

Yeah I am lucky. I was one of the few that actually worked, but I saw a lot of those types you mentioned. I did a fair bit of work with US Customs. Anyone that has a NEXUS or FAST driver card, I was behind a lot of those programs. I wrote the "legs and regs" as we called it.

The benefits are good; I won't deny that. For myself I am applying for medical retirement, which allows to full retirement benefits and 70% of my income. It's just 10 years early.

You should definetely see if you can get in Albert!

Nutty /Annette
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/10/01 08:34:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ascottdesign

Bob, I see and now understand what you mean about having to the select the synth audio track to make the bounce happen. Great got that working. Still hunting around to find out how to change the ms value.
    Been searching about in OPTIONS>AUDIO which gives me the Audio Options box and have tried various msec buffer sizes without any success.
    1) Am I altering the correct thing?
    2) Is the problematic track recoverable?
    3) Is it not strange that only one track in the project is affected?

Alan

Hey, Alan, I could answer your question for you if I could remember what soundcard and driver mode you're using, but I don't remember. if you'd post those I can help you out.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    ascottdesign
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/10/01 08:47:10 (permalink)

Alan, when you are mixing and editing, you can, and should, bump your latency to a much higher value.
    When you are recording, less than 10ms is good, but for mixing, 50ms or more is fine. Latency is not an issue in this phase, and it gives your CPU some breathing room.

When you are recording, less than 10ms is good, but for mixing, 50ms or more is fine.

Sorted it Bob, Thanks mate - What would we do without you???
    ascottdesign
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/10/01 08:51:39 (permalink)
    Hi Beagle,

Bob's instructions worked a treat. But thanks anyway for your kind offer.

BTW: Soundcard M-Audio and Assio driver
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/10/01 10:33:39 (permalink)
    that's fine, no worries! glad you got it going

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/10/01 12:10:25 (permalink)
    The reason it is difficult to adjust the buffers in M-Audio ASIO is because it is set by perameter, and not the buffer slider.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    JD1813
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 813
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/10/03 13:04:26 (permalink)
    The synth audio remains usable. You can bounce tracks 'til the cows come home if you want (or until you run out of tracks). If you so desire, you can bounce individual MIDI tracks, using the same synth audio track, to individual audio tracks.
    By selecting the synth audio track, you are merely telling MC where the sound is coming from. Again, it's tricky, because it all happens inside the computer, and you can't see what is happening. This would be a good concept to diagram, because so many people have a hard time understanding it. I'm going to have to list you as a co-writer on my tutorial, if I ever get it put together That is absolutely correct. When you bounce, you are making a copy of the sound that is produced by the synth audio.
    ie, you are recording it to a new track.
    And to think you gave up recreational quantum physics for this.

Robert this issue again touches on the same concepts I'm still struggling with, and I for one would love to see some sort of diagram to help "see" what is going on inside the computer during these processes. I too have begun to wonder if I should always keep all the separate synth tracks I create even after bouncing them to separate audio, but I always do as I think "well just in CASE I want to go back and do a remix.." and so I usually have a bunch of tracks "hidden" so they don't hog the screen of those I'm actively working on. But sometimes keeping track of "hidden and muted" tracks seems like a pain. Sorta like trying to get an Alesis QS7 synth keyboard to record properly.....

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

Technology drives me to drink. Fortunately, it's a short drive..
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/10/03 13:12:44 (permalink)
    JD...good to see you again.... you've been away for awhile... hope all is well...

If you want to delete or remove tracks with synths.... I guess that would be OK to do....However...I'd keep the midi source tracks...just in case I wanted to go back and do something else with them.... another option is to save the project under 2 names.... one with the synths and the other just the bounced audio...

This a momentus day in the history of Cakewalk.... I used the bounce to audio feature in MC4 for the very first time...and it worked.... WOW!!!!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    JD1813
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/10/03 13:40:43 (permalink)
    Hey there Herb good to be back! I was just doing some more work yesterday and was again screaming "theres got to be a better way....!" after losing a few hours of work! But I guess it all comes down to retainability...! I've come to the conclusion that there just isn't a recording process EASY enough for me!! But what can ya do... I'm seriously considering drastic action... just not sure I know what that's gonna BE yet! HaHa

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/10/03 16:34:49 (permalink)
    Hey JD, once you've bounced the MIDI to audio, right-click in the track properties area (I think that's where it is) and look for the 'MSR' listing. In that menu you can archive the MIDI track so it does not use any resources at all, and the MIDI track is still available if you want to edit it or change patches layer. Then you hide it. The same routine can unarchive it.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    JD1813
    RE: 2 questions please 2008/10/03 16:36:47 (permalink)
    Greg: way cool ! I'll try it out, thanks!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1