2018.11 VST scan stalls on Cronus

Author
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
2018/12/13 07:25:04 (permalink)

2018.11 VST scan stalls on Cronus

I've been using CbB since April and this is the first time it's crashed while trying to load Cronus. For many years the consensus was to disable Cronus in Plugin Manager and it's been disabled for years, yet for some reason CbB tried to scan it. I opened Plugin Manager and it was disabled under DX plugins.

This so far has only happened on opening 1 song which is about 2 years old. It crashed so bad that I couldn't close CbB in task manager. I ended up having to reboot. The file opened fine upon reboot.

Anyone else have Cronus rear its head up again?

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T

4 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: 2018.11 VST scan stalls on Cronus 2018/12/13 07:41:20 (permalink)
    The "Shared Dxi" folder should not be in the scan path. In fact, no DX plug-ins should be in the scan path. The scanner should be setup to scan VST plug-ins only. If installed, Cronus is normally in the DX Audio FX exclude list. V-Vocal is not a regular DX effect.

update:
    After re-reading the OP, it is not clear if CbB failed scanning the plug-in or crashed loading the plug-in in a project. These are two separate things. DX plug-ins are not scanned. They are registered during install. VST plug-ins are scanned, however; if DX plug-ins are in the scan path there can be trouble. The recent scan sandbox should lessen the risk but still scanning DX dlls should be avoided.

Leaving V-Vocal in a project is a gamble. The plug-in has not been updated in years. To avoid a crash on load, try safe-mode and skip V-Vocal.
    gmp
    Re: 2018.11 VST scan stalls on Cronus 2018/12/13 17:50:40 (permalink)
    scook
    The "Shared Dxi" folder should not be in the scan path. In fact, no DX plug-ins should be in the scan path. The scanner should be setup to scan VST plug-ins only. If installed, Cronus is normally in the DX Audio FX exclude list. V-Vocal is not a regular DX effect.

update:
    After re-reading the OP, it is not clear if CbB failed scanning the plug-in or crashed loading the plug-in in a project. These are two separate things. DX plug-ins are not scanned. They are registered during install. VST plug-ins are scanned, however; if DX plug-ins are in the scan path there can be trouble. The recent scan sandbox should lessen the risk but still scanning DX dlls should be avoided.

Leaving V-Vocal in a project is a gamble. The plug-in has not been updated in years. To avoid a crash on load, try safe-mode and skip V-Vocal.

I checked the scan path and Shared Dxi" folder is not in the scan path. Cronus is in my DX Audio FX exclude list. Should I uninstall Cronus? I don't remember what it does, only that it causes problems and seems to have some relationship to V-Vocal, maybe you remember.

I think you're right it crashed while loading the project. I just opened the project again and looked at the bottom right and see no reference to scan, it just says "loading" various things. I guess it doesn't scan unless I tell it to or I install something new I suppose.

The old file I loaded was only 1.5 years old. I do use V-Vocal, but always do small clips and immediately bounce to track, so I'm not sure why it decided to load Cronus when it's disabled. That's the whole point of this post, in case others are seeing the same quirk or if this is just a one off glitch.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: 2018.11 VST scan stalls on Cronus 2018/12/13 18:32:30 (permalink)
    Cronus is main V-Vocal dll. This is disabled on install because V-Vocal is not intended to show up in the list of available plug-ins. In CbB it appears as a Region FX. There is no reason to enable the dll. V-Vocal is not a regular DX plug-in. V-Vocal works with Cronus disabled in the Plug-in Manager.

The scan toast appears based on settings in preferences. Regardless, the scanner is for VST plug-ins only.

The project load toast was added in CbB 2018-07.

The age of the project does not matter. The age of the plug-in does. V-Vocal has not been updated in years and was last bundled with X2.

Not sure why a project would try to load Cronus if all V-Vocal clips were rendered. Maybe not all the clips are rendered. Safe mode may help. When loading a project in safe mode there is a prompt to load Cronus along with the clip name for each unrendered V-Vocal clip, however; there is no prompt to load Cronus if all clips are rendered.

gmp
    Re: 2018.11 VST scan stalls on Cronus 2018/12/13 20:15:42 (permalink)

Great sleuth work. You're right there was 1 clip in an archived vocal that had V-Vocal not rendered. I opened the file using he safe mode and after a long process the very last one was V-vocal listed with the vocal track's name.

It's nice to know there's no bug in the new version. I've known for a long time that if you open a file with a  V-vocal clip unrendered, you're asking for trouble.

Thanks for finally explaining to me what Cronus had to do with V-vocal. I had no idea that was the name of the V-vocal DLL. I guess for some reason Splat and CbB see it as a DX plugin.

Mystery solved

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1