24 bit headroom

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jeffers_mz
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
2005/05/31 14:49:32 (permalink)

24 bit headroom

Where does this extra headroom I keep hearing about come from?

Sure, the signal recorded in 24 bit has a higher numerical value, but so does the noise floor, in proportional amounts.

All I can see is extra selectivity in choosing levels, not any appreciable increase in S/N ratio, and without that, the "extra headroom" looks more like an accounting artifact.

What gives?

46 Replies Related Threads

yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/05/31 16:57:31 (permalink)
    It's not an accounting gimmick.

Well-dithered 24 bit allows for about 150 dB of dynamic range, whereas 16 bit allows about 100 dB. If all your recordings are maxed out so the loudest parts hit zero dB on the meter, then a 24-bit recording is capable of recording sounds as quiet as 150dB lower than the loudest sound, which slightly exceeds the dynamic range of human hearing. It is going to contain 50dB more information than a 16-bit recording of the same thing.

16-bit recordings have a very adequate dynamic range of 100dB, which is not quite as wide as human hearing is capable of percieving, but it is plenty adequate to reproduce most meaningful program material in most playback scenarios. But that is only if you are using all 16 bits.

Let's say that you are recording a fairly dynamic clean-tone electric guitar part at 16 bits. And let's say you have PERFECTLY guessed the dynamic range and set your input gain so that the loudest peak of the loudest power chord comes in at -.01dB, just under digital clipping. Now let's say that the quieter parts of the single-note passages are coming in at -24dB (not unusual). No problem, since you were going to turn up those sections either with compression or distortion or by mixing it that way, right? Except, those 16bit fixed-point samples contain only 12bits of meaningful data in the quiet parts, and 4 bits of nothing (that 24 dB headroom). When you turn up those quiet parts, it is like blowing up a low-resolution photograph to a bigger size-- it looked fine when it was little (although you could hardly see it), but increasing the size reveals its grainyness and low resolution. and the decay and fade-out sections of those notes are even quieter, and have even lower resolution.

Anything that doesn't use all 16 bits of available dynamic range is not going to have a full 16 bit resolution. And when you turn up those lower resolution segments, then fade outs start to take on a "stepped" sound, transients and details start to sound grainy or digital, and your overall quality starts to sound less like "CD-quality" and more like mp3 or old video game quality, because you are essentially making 8- or 12-bit recordings, and then mixing them to a higher-resolution, 16-bit format.

And the above example was just a single-track electric guitar, which is an instrument with a relatively narrow dynamic range that is typically played without much in the way of performance dynamics. Imagine trying to record a symphony orchestra, or a dynamic piano piece, or a jazz combo, where the dynamic swings can vary a LOT, and are not always predictable. In order to avoid overs, you might need to set your levels so that your peaks are coming in at -6dB, and then find that your quietest sections are averaging -50 dB, which means that for the quiet passages (which might be most of the performance in a classical piece), you are actually only recording at 8-bit resolution.

This is one reason why, in the days of 16-bit recording, so many people were using compressors and limiters to bring up the signal before it was converted to digital. Because, if you didn't maximize the recording level, then you were going to lose all of that wonderful resolution and detail that digital offers.

Now we come to 24-bit. 24bit has MORE dynamic range than human hearing, which means that you could set up a mic in front of a symphony orchestra or whatever, set the record level so that the loudest peaks are coming in at -6, and capture more resolution than the human ear can hear. Even the sections that are at -50dB will still have 16 bits full of meaningful resolution, and that's at the extremely quiet parts. So if you want to turn those parts up, you can do so with no loss of resolution when it comes to the final 16-bit version, because you have enough "extra" information to provide additional detail and resolution when you bring up the level-- like blowing up a high-resolution photograph-- it looked great small, and it looks even better big.

If you are making a 24-bit mutitrack project that is eventually going to get mixed down to 16-bit digital, then you have WAY more dynamic range than you will ever be able to fit into your final mix. 8 tracks of 24-bit digital adds up to a total of 192 bits per sample (in the multitrack project) that all have to be mixed and dithered down to 16 bits, which means that 176 bits are going to be thrown away for every 16 bits we keep.

What does this all mean? that if you are making 16bit recordings, then it is critical to maximize your record levels as much as possible, which means that you will always need to run the risk of digital overs, or of unnaturally limiting the dynamic range of a performance that turns out louder than you were expecting it to be.

But if you are making 24-bit multitrack recordings, then there is no need to maximize the recording levels, because you have more resolution than you need. You could set your record levels so that your highest PEAKS were coming in at -45dB and STILL have better-than CD quality sound. So there is absolutely no technical reason to compress or limit the incoming levels, or to obsess about getting your incoming level right up to 0dB, or any of it. You can just set the levels so your peaks are at -6 or -12 and not sweat it, because you still have WAY more resolution than is ever going to end up on the finished product. No clips, no squashed sound, no quantization artifacts, no worries.

That is the headroom part of it. As for the noise floor, that's up to your skill and the quality of your gear. But you're still better off recording at 24-bit, even if it's mostly just getting higher-resolution noise.

Cheers.
    post edited by yep - 2005/05/31 17:02:20
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/05/31 17:13:33 (permalink)
    Think of it this way each time a sample is made, say every 48,000th of a second the A to D converter has to tag that sample with a number to say how loud it is. At 16bits it only has 65,536 values it can use. At 24bit it has 16,777,216 values it can use. So it's a lot more values not just a few more values.

This is important because at 16bit as a wav of samples start reaching the bottom (silence) if there are fewer values down there you hear some distortion on some types of things. For example the decay of a cymbal crash or acoustic guitar strum at the very end. With heardphones on you will hear some crackle or un-natural shifts in volume that make it sound not real. So eveyone tries to keep the level up as high as possible to stay out of the quiet range where things begin to break up.

At 24bit there are so many values the converter and "waste" a bunch of them even on the quiet stuff to make it decay into silence smoothly.

What this means when reocrding is that you don't have to worry so much about having hot levels. Even the low stuff will still sound smooth even when you have to add a bunch of gain. So you can record lower and stay out of the red easy and not have to use compresson or limiting. If you combine that with a higher sample rate like 88.2 or 96K and things start to sound lifelike. However, 48K is still plenty good at 24bit. If I had to choose I would rather have 48K / 24bit then 96K / 16bit. The dynamic resolution yeilds more improvment then sample rate. In fact better converters would be better then 96K. You have to improve the clock and converter to get any improvment out of sample rate. But bit rate always improves things no matter what converters you use.

post edited by ohhey - 2005/05/31 17:20:01
    Carl Jensen
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 621
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/05/31 17:39:06 (permalink)
    Hey Yep,

I didn't have the time to read your response, let alone write one that thorough. Just wanted to say thanks for contributing!

Carl Jensen
    name1432
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/05/31 18:54:01 (permalink)
    - analog noise. it's what you're talking about, jeffers, and you're right it doesnt decrease when you increase your recording bit depth

- digital noise. digitizing audio at any bit depth introduces 6dB of digital noise, in harmony with your sampling rate, which is probably not your song's tempo. In 16 bit audio, that's 6dB out of 96dB; but in 24 bit audio it's only 6dB out of 144dB
    post edited by name1432 - 2005/06/01 01:07:19
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/05/31 22:39:33 (permalink)
    Great, thanks yep, now I have to go out and buy new converters!

Excellent dissertation.

Now where does all this extra resolution go when we make a 16 bit CD? Is it lost?

R

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    name1432
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/05/31 23:59:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: nprime
    Now where does all this extra resolution go when we make a 16 bit CD? Is it lost?

R

not only is it lost, but its loss presents complications -- the links about dithering lead to good info: http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/guides.html
    post edited by name1432 - 2005/06/01 00:03:20
    name1432
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 00:20:54 (permalink)
    any amount of noise can be amplified through subsequent processing, for example compression
    post edited by name1432 - 2005/06/01 00:26:35
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 00:45:46 (permalink)

Excellent dissertation.

R

It is lost but the recording still sounds better if the process was done at 24bit all the way to the final master. You want your tracks to be as good as they can be and your export to be somthing you can do mastering on without killing the quality. Resample and dither should be the last two steps to make the final 44.1 / 16bit CD track.
    jeffers_mz
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 02:32:57 (permalink)
    Ok, coming in, I understood how a 24 bit ladder circuit could register a smaller non-zero voltage than a 16 bit circuit could, but there just didn't seem to be enough advantage there to create the "scads of extra headroom" that I keep hearing about. This ties in with what ohhey was talking about.

From Yep and Name1432's responses I think I have the missing piece of the puzzle, but I want to make sure it's nailed down before trying to move ahead.

From this:

"...24 bit allows for about 150 dB of dynamic range, whereas 16 bit allows about 100 dB...." (Yep)

and this:

"...that's 6dB out of 96dB; but in 24 bit audio it's only 6dB out of 144dB..." (Name1432)

...I'd say my original supposition that the same signal is divided into more (24 bit) or less (16 bit) discrete digital level values is only part of the truth. If I'm reading between the lines here you are also telling me that 24 bit can sample higher absolute voltages without clipping than 16 bit can. Put another way, you aren't slicing the same amplitude spectrum into more or less pieces, you are also skewing it to the right (positive X) in the case of 24 bit. Since I'm not sure I have this, and I am sure I'm not using standard audio terminology, one more way of saying it is that 0 db on the meters is not the same sound pressure level in 16 bit as it is in 24 bit. 0 db in 24 bit corresponds to 144 db and only corresponds to 100 db on in 16 bit recordings?

If this is true, then 24 bit slices have to be smaller than 16 bit slices, for the rest of Yep's and Ohhey's post to add up, but not as small as you might expect. In my case I assumed they were equal to ((2**16)/(2**24)) times the size of the 16 bit slices, but this isn't true is it? If zero voltage equals zero voltage on both scales, and 0db equals 144 in 24 bit, and 100 in 16 bit, then the slice size ratio is the above value times 144/100, yes?

No....well, the idea seems right but sound pressure is logarithmic, and I'm not up to that kind of math tonight but I think I'm getting it. If that's the case then the "scads of headroom" only partly comes from the finer resolution as described by Yep, but also a significant part of it is being able to record a hotter signal?

Yes?

No?

Maybe?

Once I get this down, there's a good chance I'll have a few more q's but this has to come before I can really assimilate the rest.

post edited by jeffers_mz - 2005/06/01 02:37:56
    daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 05:03:49 (permalink)
    it doesn't necessarily mean you can record a hotter signal because you still have to take into account the clip level of your preamps - however, clipping a 16bit audio signal is much easier than a 24bit one. I've heard sooo many dat tapes with clicks/pops all over them due to clipping.

24bit gives you a bit of a safety net - that's not to say you should record a much hotter signal because in reality that headroom can really save your ass.

Kind regards

Dave Rich.

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    name1432
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 09:36:20 (permalink)
    jeff... in trying to answer your recent question i've lost confidence in my original posts, i need to research before i mislead you. i'm another who's not up for logarithms at this moment but i need to learn this so i'll post what i find
    post edited by name1432 - 2005/06/01 09:40:53
    tonyd
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 09:41:12 (permalink)
    When you turn up those quiet parts, it is like blowing up a low-resolution photograph to a bigger size-- it looked fine when it was little (although you could hardly see it), but increasing the size reveals its grainyness and low resolution.

Great post. Although I think a more accurate analogy with digital photography is when the digital image is very dark (~quiet) and you want to increase its brightness and/or contrast. If you do it, you are amplifying the steps between the consecutive grey tones. The grey transitions looked smooth when the grey levels were packed densely together on the dark image. As you increase the contrast, you are just spreading the levels apart (without inserting anything in between!), so the image looks more and more quantized.

If your eyes are better than your ears, try it in Photoshop, darken an image and restore it back to examine the damage, especially on 8 bits. With a 16 or even 32 bit image you will get away with much more.

Do you want to emulate "vintage digital" 8 bit drums? Just bring a 16 bit recording down by 50 dB and record it in a separate track (also in 16 bits), and then play it back at +50 dB (You'll need to chain several busses to get that kind of gain). There. No bit-eating distoriton plugin required. With 24 bit recording, you'd need to take it down a full 100 dB to achieve the same effect.
    wogg
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1819
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 09:48:53 (permalink)
    the way i've been thinking, 24-bit does not allow for higher voltages.

There's some confusion here on digital domain vs. analog.

The output voltage is entirely dependant on the DAC. It could be setup for 1,000 volts output at 0dBFS if they wanted it to be, the minimum sample value would still be exactly 144dB below that, 150dB effectively with dithering.

The same holds true for the input voltage, it depends on the analog circuitry of the ADC.

Generally, manufacturers loosly adhere to standards like +4dBu or -10dBV but they certainly don't have to.

Remeber that dB's are a logarithmic ratio and hold no specific value by themself. They are used for relative measurement, that's it. In the case of the above standards, the ratios are defined based on 4dB above a standard "unloaded" output (equivalent to 1mW into a standard audio load, which I forget the impedance) which works out to 0.775V. The other standard is 10dB below 1V.

Homepage:
    The World of Wogg

yep
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 10:59:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jeffers_mz
    If I'm reading between the lines here you are also telling me that 24 bit can sample higher absolute voltages without clipping than 16 bit can.

Not really, it's more like it allows for LOWER absolute voltages. It allows for more resolution. A really obvious example of this lower resolution (that you can try at home) is to record a really quiet cymbal crash from a sample or drum synth, (or anything else with a gradual decay and low noise floor).
    As the sound fades to silence, more and more of the bits that comprise each sample are used to capture the silence, and fewer and fewer of them are actually used for the sound.

If you turn up the very tail end of the decay, you will be able to actually hear a sort of "stepped" quality to the final decay and then a sort of abrupt truncation of the cymbal sound.. like viewing a low-res digital photograph where you can see the pixellization and "digitalness" quite clearly.
    Now, you can theoretically do this experiment with either a 24bit or a 16bit sample and hear the same effect, but the 24bit one you will have to turn up WAY louder than the 16bit one-- you will probably have to put it through multiple stages of maximum gain, and push your levels to the point of absurdity to hear the low resolution.

No....well, the idea seems right but sound pressure is logarithmic, and I'm not up to that kind of math tonight but I think I'm getting it. If that's the case then the "scads of headroom" only partly comes from the finer resolution as described by Yep, but also a significant part of it is being able to record a hotter signal?

This idea of a "hotter" signal doesn't so much have to do with dB being logarithmic as much as with dB being relative. "One dB" or "Six dB" or whatever are basically meaningless terms- a dB is a measure of change and we need a point of reference to know what it means. When we talk about the dB reading on sonar's meters (or most digital meters), we are actually talking about dBFS, which stands for "decibels Full Scale," which means something like "where zero dB equals a full-scale sine wave at 1k" (I think). When you talk about the sound level in open air, you are usually talking about dB SPL, which stands for "decibels Sound Pressure Level," defined as "decibles change from air pressure of .000002 Newton-Meters" (again, I think). There are a whole bunch of other measures, too, for VU meters, for signal voltage measurements, and so on. What they all have in common is that a change of +6dB equals twice as powerful, and a change of -6dB equals half as powerful (that's the logarithmic part).

You can set your record levels so that any level of dB SPL is equal to any level of dBFS, within the limitations of your gear. So you can use the increased resolution of 24bit vs. 16bit to record louder sounds without clipping or to record quieter sounds in more detail, or, preferably, to do both.

We are all familliar with the experience of tweaking record levels to try and get the hottest signal possible without clipping, only to find either that the performace levels turned out to be louder than expected and are clipped, or turned out to be quieter than expected and are too low.

In simple terms, with 24bit, you DON'T HAVE TO TWEAK THE RECORD LEVELS, because, realistically speaking, there is always always going to be more resolution than you can possibly use in the finished product.

As long as your average levels are showing up on the -50dBFS meters, even as a blip, you are recording BETTER than CD quality on EVERY TRACK.

There are, as always, unusual exceptions such as making a stereo-only, unmixed live recording of really dynamic classical that is destined for a 24-bit medium, but even then, you can record with your peaks at -20dB and STILL capture more dynamic range than humans can percieve without suffering pain and hearing damage. This means that the really quiet stuff that starts to become low-res (such as the cymbal decay above) are going to be below the threshold of silence in any kind of real-world listening environment. This is not true of 16-bit, even if the 16-bit was recorded perfectly.
    yep
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 11:06:55 (permalink)

Excellent dissertation.

R

Basically, yeah. The conversion process from 24bit to 16bit is pretty simple-- the computer just throws away the least important (quietest) 8bits. But your recording will still benefit noticably from doing all of your processing and mixing on 24bit signals, even if the above-mentioned "headroom benefit" is of no use to you at all.

Moreover, the use of good dither actually INCREASES the dynamic range of digital audio through a process that's more complicated than I want to describe right now. So a 16bit master can actually be made to capture and reproduce MORE than 16bits of information, and again, you benefit from working at 24bit for as long as you can. It's like taking a low-res photograph of a higher-resolution photograph-- you get better results than taking a low-res photo of another low-res photo.

Cheers.
    yep
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 11:08:48 (permalink)

If this is true, then 24 bit slices have to be smaller than 16 bit slices, for the rest of Yep's and Ohhey's post to add up, but not as small as you might expect.

No, a 16bit sample is identical to a 24bit sample that has had the last 8 bits removed.

Cheers.
    yep
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 11:19:44 (permalink)
    Oh, and for those who are confused by dB (if you've made it this far)-- dB measurements are "logarithmic" NOT "arithmatic." What does this mean?

It means, with 150dB of dynamic range, the difference between the loudest sound and the quietest sound captured is about 30 TIMES more than with 100dB of dynamic range-- NOT 1.5 times more (as percieved by humans, anyway).

Cheers.
    rolo95
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1607
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 12:26:53 (permalink)
    Yep

Glad you are here at the boards....sharing your
    years of hard time earned knowledge....
    all good things in life dont come easy....

i have enjoyed many of your posts....
    you know what you are saying and thats a blessing..

it takes years of reading...studying and practicing....
    to grab well all those Electronics Terms and theory.

Nice to count with your support here....

"give to the CESAR....what belongs to the CESAR"

Count with me....
    Kind Regards
    Rolo.

post edited by rolo95 - 2005/06/01 12:30:22

-----------------------------------------------------
    THERE IS NO POWER Without KNOWLEDGE !!!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 12:39:23 (permalink)
    yep, small correction.

I believe that a doubling of power is a 3 dB increase, not a 6 dB increase as you stated.

Factoid: to make a signal sound twice as loud requires a ten times increase in power. Thats why a 200 watt amp is not twice as loud as a 100 watt amp.

R

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    yep
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 12:54:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rolo95

Yep

Glad you are here at the boards....

Thanks for the kind words. Glad to be of help when I can. I learn a lot from the folks on this forum, too.

Cheers.
    yep
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 13:26:19 (permalink)

yep, small correction.

I believe that a doubling of power is a 3 dB increase, not a 6 dB increase as you stated.

Factoid: to make a signal sound twice as loud requires a ten times increase in power. Thats why a 200 watt amp is not twice as loud as a 100 watt amp.

R

Technically, +6dB means a doubling of the signal voltage and -6dB means a halving of the signal voltage. You're right that signal voltage doesn't necessarily translate into "power," and my terminology was pretty vauge. I should have said "+6dB means doubling the signal strength" or something similar. 3dB is usually regarded as the smallest change in level that average people will percieve.

You're absolutely right about amplifier power-- to most people, an increase of 10dB SPL sounds "twice as loud," and typicially, that means ten times the electromotive power needed to get a 10dB increase in SPL. So you'd need a 1000W amp to get the same result as two 100W amps. But fear not, guitar players of the world-- adding speakers can add a lot more volume without increasing amplifier power.

This is why recording engineers will often refer to a 6dB increase as "twice the level" (because they're talking about signal strength), whereas people in sound reinforcement will almost always call 10dB "twice the power" (because they're talking about SPL and percieved volume).

Cheers.
    post edited by yep - 2005/06/01 13:40:41
    jeffers_mz
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 18:28:22 (permalink)
    Yep: "No, a 16bit sample is identical to a 24bit sample that has had the last 8 bits removed."

Ok, I think I have it now, but verifying this might get a bit messy....blast the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Ignoring input gain, measuring the signal as it enters the sample and hold circuitry, (they used to use ladder circuits, so if that's changed, "ladder circuit" refers to the new method), a zero volt signal will record as 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 in 24 bit, and 0000 0000 0000 0000 in 16 bit.

The lowest non-zero signal recordable in 24 bit is clearly 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0001 and we'll call that voltage x. Voltage x would record as 0000 0000 0000 0000 in 16 bit, yes?

The lowest non-zero signal recordable in 16 bit would clearly be 0000 0000 0000 0001, which we'll call voltage y. If the 24 bit card recorded voltage y, it would do so as the value 0000 0000 0000 0001 0000 0000.

The maximum non-clipped signal in 24 bit would be 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111, which we'll call voltage z. If the 16 bit card recorded voltage z, a strict interpretation of the quoted passage above would render the conclusion that it would not clip, the last 8 bits would be discarded, and the value would be 1111 1111 1111 1111.

Is this correct?

I know it might seem to be beleaguring a point, but for me this is the fundamental level of understanding, from which all else follows. Get this wrong, and the whole rest of the test is wrong too. (I did that once, it sucked.)

There are conclusions to be drawn and more questions, but I want to make sure I have the relationship down first.
    yep
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 19:17:30 (permalink)
    Yeah, something like that. I actually don't know the value of different amplitudes in binary off the top of my head (believe it or not), but you got the right idea.

Here's a really crude but illustrative example (non-binary). Let's say you have three digits that you can use to assign any numerical value, but it HAS to be either zero or less (a negative value). Call this a "three bit non-binary system." So the highest possible value you could get is 000, and the lowest possible value would be -999 and the medium value would be -500 (or maybe 499 or 501, I forget, but whatever). So in this non-binary "3-bit" system, -999 is silence, and 000 is full volume. There are exactly one thousand possible values.

Now let's say you went to a "four-bit" system. Now you can have values ranging from -9999 (silence) to 0000 (full scale). There are TEN thousand possible values. Let's say you have a sample with amplitube value -5038, almost exactly half of the possible amplitube, and you want to convert it to the previous "3-bit" system. Just lose the last digit (the last bit) and you got -503. Still pretty much exactly in the middle of the scale, just a tiny fraction of a percent off from the higher-resolution value. That's how bit-rate conversion works. You could further reduce that to a "2-bit" system (one that goes from -99 to 00) by simply dropping off the 3 and you end up with -50, still halfway up the scale.

In this case, the conversion doesn't do any rounding, it just drops off the last bit. So that conversion from -5038 (four bit) to -503 (three bit) probably SHOULD have been a conversion to -504, but we're pretty close nonetheless, and probably not gonna lose many album sales because of it. But, just in case you're worried, this is EXACTLY where dither comes in. Dither DOES cause the samples to "average" in-betwen values, and actually forces the system to achieve results that are technically less precise on a sample-by-sample basis, but that are MORE accurate overall.

Dither is a simple thing-- it's just low-level random noise mixed in with the signal to be converted, but it's effects are NOT simply to mask the "digitalness" of low-level digital sounds. It actually IMPROVES fidelity and dynamic range. But that's a topic for another thread.

Cheers.
    post edited by yep - 2005/06/01 19:20:37
    jeffers_mz
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 19:51:02 (permalink)
    Ok, my gut says this is correct, and a very quick, very shallow analysis agrees. If true, the implications are enormous. It's going to take some time to make sure the model works, and even more to apply it across the boards, but I suspect I'll have numerous questions and observations soon.

The quickest example is your concept of what falsely impressed digital noise does to fidelity. A rigid transducer will move in a series of induced steps with a low res digital signal. From a distance it will appear to follow a sinusoudal curve, but up close it will be seen as a series of jerks and halts following the curve.

A one sample spike or dip cannot be followed by the weighty transducer, but it will alter the momentum which in turn can smooth out the "jaggies".

In reality, the transducer is not rigid, and its deformation further contributes to the effect.

Kewl stuff.

Thanks for opening the door for me.
    jeffers_mz
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 20:35:16 (permalink)
    Ok, I sketched it out on scrap paper and confidence levels are soaring. I think I have it. Gotta love this. Absorbing a fundamental principle doesn't happen everyday.

The sound of bank vault doors slamming open advances down the corridor towards me, echoing towards crescendo, untold treasure within is, oh yes I think it is MINE!

All I have to do now is the legwork necessary to SCOOP IT UP!

(dancing a touchdown jig around the computer chair...one lap....two laps...three laps...

...the older, wiser jeffers staring on in disapproving silence, picking his time to wag a stiff finger in my face..."down boy, DOWN!")

...sigh...

Ok, going all the way back to the original question, I have to conclude that there are TWO, significantly different definitions of the word "headroom".

In the analog world, the term refers to the span of signal strengths between the noise floor and a hard clip. In the digital world, headroom refers to the span of values between clip and audible stairstep effect? Yes?

If true, then under the analog definition of headroom, there should be no difference between 16 bit and 24 bit. Clip stays the same, noise stays the same, headroom stays the same, but in pure digital there is no analog noise so other effects become more important.

Which brings me to what Yep and Name1432 mentioned...a 6db induced noise..."digitizing audio at any bit depth introduces 6dB of digital noise"...is this deliberate, what you were referring to recently here Yep? Or is it an artifact of the DA conversion process, unwanted and accidental?

Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/01 21:39:50 (permalink)
    Jeff,

I think Dave Rich probably said the most important thing to remember. The extra headroom can save you in certain situations. This is especially true of live recordings or when recording anything with extreme volume dynamics such as a symphony. For most of us that extra headroom is really a non-issue. You'll probably never benefit from it. On the other hand, if you have a good computer and plenty of drive space then you might as well record at 24-bit. It won't sound any different. Its mostly a distortion issue. As to the noise floor, anything over 90db is not worth mentioning really. This is especially true if you're good about using volume envelopes to pull down the volume during dead-air sections of tracks, which I guess is just common sense and is something I've always done.

Actually, although I said that 24-bit won't sound any different than 16-bit, there's a tad more stereo separation at 24-bit. You may or may not care about that (I know I don't). When you dither back to 16-bit that morsel of extra stereo separation goes away. However, since some folks are starting to use DVD's for audio purposes (SACD's, etc.) these are usually recorded and played back at 24-bit, so in the case of those recordings the 24-bit with its extra stereo separation will still be heard.

Also, what a lot of us do is to record our tracks at 16/44.1 (or 16/something?) and then mix down to a 24-bit stereo track to take into a Mastering program to do the final editing. You generally will do more destructive changes to your 2-track master (normalizing, hard limiting and so forth) rather than to your multi-tracks, so if you bump your 2-track master up to 24-bits before editing it, you can make more changes to it before degrading it.

Personally, I've got a 2-gig system with a half-gig of RAM and I still record at 16/44.1 while tracking. Its just a lot easier on the system and I can use DirectX effects like crazy with nearly as many tracks as I want. If I'm recording a solo acoustic guitar song (which I do a lot of) then I usually record at 24/48, just because I can, and because it "is" my 2-track master if you see what I'm saying.

BTW, I hope I'm not implying by my post that 24-bit recording is useless. I'm just saying that its not a big deal for most people in most situations. Its probably not worth upgrading your system just to record at 24-bit unless you're recording a lot of live stuff or a symphony, etc. It won't hurt to upgrade of course, but if it’s a choice between buying a new box to record at 24-bit and buying a better mixer for instance, I'd certainly spend the money on a new mixer.
    name1432
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/02 03:08:01 (permalink)
    Which brings me to what Yep and Name1432 mentioned...a 6db induced noise..."digitizing audio at any bit depth introduces 6dB of digital noise"...is this deliberate, what you were referring to recently here Yep? Or is it an artifact of the DA conversion process, unwanted and accidental?

Jeff please put no weight on my earlier statement about 6db of noise. I was trying to recall something I read about ten years ago, and I might have gotten it totally wrong yesterday; sorry if I led you down the wrong path. I'm learning from Yep and others in this thread too at this point.

I do wonder if compressing-then-amplifying 24-bit signal could make the noise significantly audible; I'd assumed it could, but now I'm not sure
    jeffers_mz
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/02 05:25:30 (permalink)
    Re-read the whole thread and it's locking into place. I want to say thanks to all who have posted here, for taking the time to help drive new understanding into this tired old mostly analog brain of mine. You guys rock.

I've done quite a bit of work with Photoshop, and the image examples used here go a long way towards solidifying the audio principles in terms I'm already familiar with. I still have some work to do in understanding the mathematic effects of bit rate conversion processes, but at least now I have the fundamental level of understanding necessary to move in that direction.

I'm a little uneasy asking more questions right now, I have "worn people out" in the past with questions, I know you all have other things to do besides completing my education, and a little outside reading on my part will probably translate to significant time savings on you all part in terms of answering questions, but one opportunity immediately comes to mind.

I know you guys with high end equipment, from one end of the chain to the other, including cables, don't have much worry over analog noise in the signals, certainly not like what we had to deal with back in the analog multi-track recording days, but since the center of the bell curve doesn't use high end equipment, there seem to be possible advantage here.

If you record in 24 bit, and set your levels so that the analog noise floor falls just under the maximum 8 bit least significant level, say at 0000 0000 0000 0000 1111 1110, it seems to me that you can forego a lot of NR technique, that once you convert back to 16 bit the noise will just go away.

For other reasons, I spent some time testing the RF "quietness" at this site before purchasing the land. All the utilities were brough in with RF well in mind too. Unfortunately the microwave relay station one mile north of me wasn't "on" at the time I did the testing, and I do have intermittent RF problems when they go active. Lucky for me, the next relay isn't in line with me, and I am between the main and side lobes of the dishes closest to me, but I still get some induced noise here, so it starts becoming an issue. If I can dump the artifacts during mastering, it saves a lot of otherwise convoluted work. I know about shielding and balanced lines, etc, but multi-megawatt microwave signals, even off axis, are what they are.

In the immediate future, I have only a toehold here, in the midterm range I intend to set a dedicated facility in which the control room will be well shielded, and in the long term it will move to the final structure which will be underground. For now, any quick and easy NR techniques increase the utilty I can derive in the interim. From the superficial POV my level of understanding permits, 24 bit recording looks like it might offer some opportunities in this regard.

Thoughts?

post edited by jeffers_mz - 2005/06/02 05:30:28
    yep
    RE: 24 bit headroom 2005/06/02 10:02:40 (permalink)
    Um, no.

Noise-reduction strategies have been discussed at some length on these forums, and you should run a search and reply to one of the threads that has already been started if you want specific advice on noise-reduction. But for a whole bunch of reasons, recording at 24-bit for the purpose of specifically capturing extra noise that you later want to drop is not really likely to be a rewarding or useful strategy.

Remember, when you produce the finished CD, you are not only going to dither to 16bit, you are also going to mix all those 24-bit tracks together to a single track anyway. So you are ultimately going to lose a lot more than 8 bits per track by the time you get from a 12-track project down to a single stereo file.

And if your noise floor really is only in the bottom 8 bits of a 24-bit track (that is, it's -96dB or lower), then you already have a damn good noise floor and should have nothing to worry about.

I think you are in danger of outsmarting yourself here. 24 bit will give you more accurate, detailed, and sensitive recordings than 16bit, and it will allow you to process those recordings with less digital loss of fidelity. That's all. It will record your instrument, your ambience, and your noise more faithfully than 16bit will.

I don't know a whole lot about photography, but I think the analogies with digital photography are useful, because there doesn't seem to be as much "voodoo" to it in most people's minds. 24bit is like taking a higher-resolution photograph, and that's about it (or maybe like taking one with 24-bit color instead of one with a smaller number of colors). You get a more accurate picture of whatever's there. If the lens is dirty or the room is smoky or there's an ugly person in the field of view, it won't make that stuff prettier. It will only give you a better picture of the bad stuff.

Cheers.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1