2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes.

Author
bharris99
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27
2009/02/03 10:01:54 (permalink)

2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes.

I have two questions I can't seem to find a answer two:

1.) Can you use the 2nd digital output (adat) for something other than adat? IE: I would like to use it as an effects loop with my TC 3000 reverb unit, or a mastering loop with my TC finalizer.

2.) Does the VS700 come with software to setup multiple head phone mixes like most of the other interface units come with? And if so do the separate monitors mixes got to the two head phone outputs or can you routed them to one of the 10 outputs on the back of the 700r.

thanks

Robert

Attached Image(s)

19 Replies Related Threads

bharris99
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2009/02/04 19:24:07 (permalink)
    Can anyone at Calkwalk answer the question I posted.

Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2009/02/05 09:34:32 (permalink)
    The 2nd digital output on the VS700 is an 8 channel ADAT connection at 44.1/24 bit resolution. Does your TC 3000 or Finalzer support 8 channels of ADAT I/O? I'm not familiar with the software-hardware there. If the units do support 8 channels and allow the passing of a signal with the effects added to it then I think you could. If memory serves, the Finalizer does this on anolog using a look ahead feature. I think you'd have to go ADAT in and ADAT out on the units for a loop.
    ORIGINAL: bharris99

I have two questions I can't seem to find a answer two:

1.) Can you use the 2nd digital output (adat) for something other than adat? IE: I would like to use it as an effects loop with my TC 3000 reverb unit, or a mastering loop with my TC finalizer.

2.) Does the VS700 come with software to setup multiple head phone mixes like most of the other interface units come with? And if so do the separate monitors mixes got to the two head phone outputs or can you routed them to one of the 10 outputs on the back of the 700r.

thanks

Robert

Craig DuBuc
    bharris99
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2009/02/05 10:33:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice. I just looked at both my I/O options on both of my TC’s units and they both have ADAT options. So I’m assuming I should be able to get it to work.
    Thanks . Any thought on the monitor questions.
    Crg
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2009/02/06 07:51:42 (permalink)
    2 TC devices, one set of ADAT I/O on the V 700R. One at a time? I don't know if you can chain them. More specifically, the ADAT options on the TC stream 8 channels? I'd have to see the setup on the TC devices.
    Have you emailed Cakewalks Tech. support? TC's tech support? It seems it would easier to just use a couple of anolog I/O's on the V700 for this. Plus with the Finalizer, you might want to put it on the end of the signal path if you're using it as a hardware processor, just before your burner or final track. The external insert feature comes into play if you are looping in and out of Sonar. A few issues could come up.
    On the monitor question, I'm not sure.

ORIGINAL: bharris99

Thanks for the advice. I just looked at both my I/O options on both of my TC’s units and they both have ADAT options. So I’m assuming I should be able to get it to work.
    Thanks . Any thought on the monitor questions.

Craig DuBuc
    bharris99
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2009/02/06 11:30:45 (permalink)
    I probably should have been clearer. I was planning on using digital 1 on the TC reverb for an effects loop on my guitar, and digital 2 (ADAT) on the TC finalize for mastering at the same time. I have not mastered with sonar as of yet been using a Roland 2480 fom the past several years and this was how I had it set up on that unit.

Thanks again,
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2009/02/06 15:08:51 (permalink)
    Basically all the various I/O (ADAT, AES, Analog 5-6, etc) all show up in SONAR and are accessible for any routing. If you want to connect an aux on channel or bus to any pof these I/O for FX loops you can do it. If you want roue a bus out Ouputs9-10 to a headphone distribution system inaddition to the dedicated phone jacks, you can do it.

You essentially have all the routing flexibility that SONAR has and each and every I/O on the V-Studio system is accessible for these purposes.

Does this info help? If not I'm happy to elaborate.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    UnderTow
    Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3848
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2009/02/06 16:44:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Crg

More specifically, the ADAT options on the TC stream 8 channels? I'd have to see the setup on the TC devices.

You can hook up a 2 channel DAT device to an 8 channel ADAT device. This might not be the most economical approach but it works.

UnderTow
    Crg
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2009/02/06 20:08:25 (permalink)
    Great! I wasn't sure if TC's equipment was "seeable " by Sonar. Difference between Lightpipe and ADAT?

Craig DuBuc
    bharris99
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2009/02/06 20:08:42 (permalink)
    I think I get it, but I am still a little confused on the monitor system. How may separate monitor mixes can I create for other musicians.

Robert
    post edited by bharris99 - 2009/02/06 20:13:04
    Crg
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2009/02/06 20:29:26 (permalink)
    How many outs can you route to? How many are free? In Sonar you can route to any out. If you have an analog stereo out to your headphone distribution you have one stereo feed and no seperation if you want to feed multiple muscians at once. How many musicians are you routing too? If you're seperating per musician-channel where he's playing, you'll need that many outs. 8 channel ADAT out to ADAT in headphone amp or mixer? How ever many people you want to feed a seperate signal to, either digital or analog, you'll need that many outs-mono-times two for stereo. I don't why you'd want to seperate feeds all the time anyway.???

Craig DuBuc
    xpesrx
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2009/03/03 06:53:38 (permalink)
    I dont think sonar does separate MIXES... of course, currently I am a few versions behind.
    Yes, you can route signal to any output that you want - for example track 1 can go to Output 8
    or submix A can go to outputs 3&4... but I don't think you can have 5 individual mixes of the same instruments going on in Sonar at the same time whether routed to separate outputs or not?

Is that what you are wanting to do?

----------------------------------
    www.ChantelarStudios.com
    www.ReformationProductions.com

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2009/03/03 10:40:13 (permalink)
    On my 8 channel i/o unit here at home I can create a send on any input channel and assign that to any bus. Any bus can be sent to any hardware output - in my case 8. So, I could create 6 separate mono feeds (or 3 stereo headphone outputs) and still have my monitor master going to my speakers. And there is a separate stereo digital out I could jerry-rig if needed.

I suppose the V-700 works the same way, plus all the digital in out. I don't know how the headphone outputs work, but I suppose they are in parallel w/ a hardware output rahter than separate bus (or Cake would have made a bullet point about this). There are 8 analog outputs. Plus the spdif out, plus ADAT out. They should show up in SONAR (a lá Brandon) as physical outputs. The TC stuff uses 2 of the 8 channels of ADAT as I remember. But you could get a cheap ADAT ADA (the beringer unit comes to mind) and use that for 8 more physical analog outputs. That gives you 14 outputs for headphone submixes plus a master for the control room. Of course, working at 88.1 or 96 gives you half the ADAT i/os. But I've never found it necessary to make 7 headphone mixes. That is a pain even on a big mixer. The drummer, the singer (if they are doing a real take not scratch) and one or two for the rest of the rhythm section. But if each musician wants a separate feed with "more of me" and they want to pay for the set up time and for me to keep tweaking it, that is fine, too.

If you need more outs, add a second V700 i/o - doubling the number and all running through USB (according to Cake). But the v700 ain't itself a replacement for a large 32X8X8 mixing board and separate audio interface to match. SONAR replaces the board and patching - just be able to run it at low latency.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2009/03/05 05:36:27 (permalink)
    You can create multiple headphone mixes with SONAR and the VS-700, but the routing is all done inside SONAR. Here's an example for setting up separate headphone mixes for a singer, a drummer, and a guitar player ...

- In SONAR create three new busses and label them Vocal Cans, Drummer Cans, and Guitar Cans.

- Route each of these busses to a seperate hardware output.

- Next create sends from the Vocal track to each of the headphone mix buses and adjust send levels as the musician requires.

- Repeat creating sends from each track to the busses as required.

HTH
    xpesrx
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2009/03/05 06:08:21 (permalink)
    You can create additional sends...awesome! Thanks Seth.
    That may already be well known but my software is a bit behind..... plan to upgrade with this VStudio package

----------------------------------
    www.ChantelarStudios.com
    www.ReformationProductions.com

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2009/03/05 08:07:28 (permalink)
    Xpersx,

Yep, three is no limit of sends that a track or bus can have. This means you can create as many headphone mixes as you want, and you can make then as complex as you want. Of course you will still need a headphone distribution system if you want to use more than two seperate headphone mixes, but you can send all those mixes out the seperate hardware outs to that system so that everyone can get their own mix.

That's awesome that you will be upgrading to the VS-700. I checked out your website and it looks like a perfect system for your studio. I wish you many happy recordings with it!
    dahjah
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2013/01/28 09:57:56 (permalink)
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
    ]

You can create multiple headphone mixes with SONAR and the VS-700, but the routing is all done inside SONAR. Here's an example for setting up separate headphone mixes for a singer, a drummer, and a guitar player ...

- In SONAR create three new busses and label them Vocal Cans, Drummer Cans, and Guitar Cans.

- Route each of these busses to a seperate hardware output.

- Next create sends from the Vocal track to each of the headphone mix buses and adjust send levels as the musician requires.

- Repeat creating sends from each track to the busses as required.

HTH

This is awesome, was looking for this information, can this setup be saved for later use in other projects?
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2013/01/28 13:11:16 (permalink)
    Yes, you can use track templates to save the whole setup or parts of it; track templates also save the busses which tracks feed into. Missing busses are created upon import of track templates. You only got to figure out which parts of your set-up you are going to re-use in various ways and create smart templates.

BTW, press and hold ALT while clicking the bus also selects all tracks that feed the bus (nice option to create a 'bus template').

Mind you, head phone mixes through Sonar are subject to latency. No problem if you use a fast DAW which can do it at low buffer settings. I prefer to do direct monitoring via the Octa-Capture, VS-700 and ADAT I/O for the tracks I record. You need separate template files for each interface, though, so set-up becomes more of 'damn, how did that work again ...???' thing
    post edited by FreeFlyBertl - 2013/01/28 13:12:55

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    dahjah
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2013/01/28 16:06:11 (permalink)
    Nice that's good, thanks FreeFly 
    peter434
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: 2nd digital output setup, separate monitors mixes. 2013/01/29 09:17:32 (permalink)
    "Mind you, head phone mixes through Sonar are subject to latency. No problem if you use a fast DAW which can do it at low buffer settings. I prefer to do direct monitoring via the Octa-Capture, VS-700 and ADAT I/O for the tracks I record"

This is exactly this problem of latency ! Maybe I'm out of the point, but in the VS 700 direct Mixer, it seems that we cannot configure any auxiliar routing  and it's a pity.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1