3 Complete mixes for your critique/enjoyment/whatever

Author
acoustigod
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 104
2011/01/16 13:02:49 (permalink)

3 Complete mixes for your critique/enjoyment/whatever

Ambola - Alice Sweet Alice

The first song is rock and is called Anabola or Ambola or some such thing. Scott from Alice Sweet Alice gave it to me about a year ago to mix, when I was just starting out. I decided to take another stab at it.

This song was particularly hard to mix because the recordings were quite bad. The vocals were not recorded very well - the natural EQ was way off, there was no compression done beforehand, Scott did lots of breathing before he starts a phrase in the song and there were all sorts of other defects due to the recording :(

A lot of the guitar tracks also had massive clipping. You'll notice that a lot of rhythm parts don't have much in the way of dynamics. Again, they weren't really recorded correctly.

Nonetheless, I really wanted to challenge myself and make something out of it. I think you'll be pleased:

http://soundcloud.com/fecharacterguide/anabola5

Sometimes - Jonathan Roung

This is a acoustic/country true. It could be melo alternative maybe. I dunno. Anyway, it's a great vocal performance and very good arrangement:

http://soundcloud.com/fec...nathan-roung-sometimes

Stargazing - Jonathan Roung

This is acoustic/country rock tune. Not as strong as "sometimes", but still quite good. This was also a challenge to mix as the guitar recordings and vocals were pretty bad.

http://soundcloud.com/fec...athan-roung-stargazing

All 3 were mixed and mastered by me. Enjoy!

PS: I hate the way soundcloud compresses and lessens the quality of the mixes :( I spend all of this making them sound great and they destroy all the work :/

If someone has a better site to use, I'm all ears.
post edited by acoustigod - 2011/01/16 13:36:18

4 Replies Related Threads

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:3 Complete mixes for your critique/enjoyment/whatever 2011/01/16 20:50:46 (permalink)
    I listened to the 2nd one, the mix sounds really good to me. I'm not sure I'm down with the flanged Sometimes that comes in during the song, it was a cool effect in the beginning. And the shaker seems a tiny bit off the rhythm in places. And I would add something as an accent piece or two? Like a pedal steel? Or mandolin, or fiddle. Good song though and great sounding mix.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:3 Complete mixes for your critique/enjoyment/whatever 2011/01/17 07:13:09 (permalink)
    I listened to the 2nd and third songs.

Sometimes:
    The guitars and everything sound great to my ears!

Stargazing:
    Again, it all sounded great to me.

String Jammer
    stratrat1
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 212
    Re:3 Complete mixes for your critique/enjoyment/whatever 2011/01/17 08:53:25 (permalink)
    Alice Sweet Alice- If they clipped the guitars in this recording I cant hear any artifacts from it .. So if they were there you did a good job of getting them out !! Drum track cuts thru very well.. I hear the bass but not a lot of low end freq in it... I think warming the bass up a bit would warm the whole tune up.. Vocals are out front and clear... Good mixing job as far as my ears can tell..

Sometimes- Very well mixed !!! I hear everything clearly...no complaints from my ears either !! Good Job
    Stargazing- Very listenable. The best of the three as far as writing ! Acoustic music is much easier to mix that the electric guitar rock.. I think your doing a very good job in both genres.. Two thumbs up !!

Sonar Platinum
    windows 10 64bit
    Intel i7 Quad 950
    Asus p6t 
    24 gigs DDR3 1333
    3 250 gig SSD
    VS-700C
    Soundcraft COMPACT 24 for pres and converters....
    ruralrocker2010
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 616
    Re:3 Complete mixes for your critique/enjoyment/whatever 2011/01/17 10:10:11 (permalink)
    I liked the ambola one. My kind of music. I think I could have used more passion from the singer, but meh, whatever.

oooh stargazing. Nice.

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1