3 controllers on proj 5 (=problems)

Author
adamsutch
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 44
2006/12/04 00:07:31 (permalink)

3 controllers on proj 5 (=problems)

i am simply trying to get 3 keyboards woking with p-5.
unfortunately i am a little slow with midi routing probs.
i can get 2 going no prob, but cant get the 3rd keyboard to work.
(controllers are fine, as i interchanged them to check this.)
when i hook up the 3rd keyboard, i just change the p-5 setting to port 3, but no sound.
can anybody offer any help? thanks alot!

3 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: 3 controllers on proj 5 (=problems) 2006/12/04 07:53:09 (permalink)
    when i hook up the 3rd keyboard, i just change the p-5 setting to port 3, but no sound
    The Track Inspector, with its MIDI Input Port/Channel filter, is very versatile, but that also adds a layer of complexity to multiple controller hookups. I'd suggest that you first go to the Options menu, and disable the MIDI Override Follows Current Track setting for now. MIDI Override funnels all ports and MIDI input to a single track. Next, make sure that you haven't inadvertently clicked on the Override button (Track Pane; upper-left) while selecting tracks during your setup.

The type of controller, and what it's transmitting, may come into play. Most controllers transmit over MIDI Channel 1 as a default. Some can be changed to other Xmit channels, others can't. An onboard sequencer might use Channel 2, a drum machine, Channel 10, and a guitar controller, 11-16. As a test, set Port 1/Port2/Port3 to 'Omni', but make sure that none of these are set to 'All Ports - Omni'. Project5's default behavior will pick up all controllers and send them to a new track.

In summary, if you want three isolated controllers confined to 3 distinct tracks: no MIDI Override engaged, disable the 'following' Option, and set each subsequent track to 'Port X (name of controller) - Omni. From there, you can start isolating to MIDI channels, and experiment with controlling multiple tracks, or having multiple controllers triggering a single track.

For more information on external controllers, audio hookups for hardware synths, and sending MIDI out of P5, check out the Project5 Wiki. A good diagnostic tool can be found here at TenCrazy.com. Download the MFX PortDiag, install it, and load it as a MIDI FX to each track in question. It'll indicate in plain English exactly what's been funneled into each synth track.
    adamsutch
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: 3 controllers on proj 5 (=problems) 2006/12/04 21:16:24 (permalink)
    b Rock, thanks for the help.
    still not working.
    midi override follows current track is unchecked.
    havent clicked on the overide button (my first thought also).
    i have it set up just as you decribe: --i set each track to port 1, 2 and 3, omni.
    i am using 3 m-audio axiom keyboards, --i confirmed that they all work.
    any other ideas b4 i download that tencrazy diagnostic tool? thanks alot.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: 3 controllers on proj 5 (=problems) 2006/12/04 22:20:03 (permalink)
    am using 3 m-audio axiom keyboards, --i confirmed that they all work. any other ideas ...
    Not really; just a hunch. Are they all under USB, and are you powering them all over the USB bus? Is there a USB hub involved, powered or unpowered? Any other USB devices connected? If you can, try running each to it's own USB port as a test. If you have a compatible power supply for one or more of the Axioms, use that. Temporarily disconnect any other types of USB devices. Lose the USB Hub, if you're able to while still connecting three controllers.

If you have a MIDI cable and a compatible MIDI In port (or two, or three), that might solve your problem. I have a feeling that multiple USB drivers for the same controller might be competing with each other, or you're sapping the USB power supply. It may only output 500 mA total for all of your connected devices.
    post edited by b rock - 2006/12/04 22:38:47
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1