Helpful ReplyFriday's Tip of the Week #167: Behold! Dual Mono Becomes Stereo!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 21
Author
JoseC.
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 471
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/08 07:47:19 (permalink)
Good tip, but instead of using Fit to Time, you can just ctrl + stretch the midi notes to fit double number of measures, can't you?
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/08 10:18:34 (permalink)
Yes, good point...that would be an alternate way to do it. The only real advantage of using Fit to Time is if you spewed out a long MIDI file and it's off the edge of the screen, or not a specific number of measures. You can use Time as the format and just double it.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/08 11:43:19 (permalink)
So, if I have a project in 3/4 time and want to add to it (track wise), in 6/8.....
How would I double that, change time signature and still keep the tempo or would that be double too? (It's 84 in 3/4)
???
Thanks
Michael

i7 4790k 4Ghz 16gb+4HDD, Win10, ASUS G74s Laptop i7 2670QM 2.2ghz-16gb, Win10. CbB, Mixbus4, Studio One3 Artist, Z3ta2, RapturePro, GPO5, GS2, EP4, IK TR5, AT4, MP2, Melodyne Stud4, PSP(22), PS kits, BFD2, GA4, 18i20, PreSonus MP20A(BurrBrown), ISA One, Warm Audio WA76, ADK Thor, M160, RAB1, MA200, MA101fet, E100s, e835, EquatorD5, YSM-1, GoldDigger, CherryPicker, Kurz K2500, Aura Spectrum, ControlPad, PRRI, 17 ac & elec gtrs-mandos+bass, lap steels, banjo, fiddle, harmonicas+perc
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/08 13:24:04 (permalink)
That makes my head explode. Try a couple approaches and let us know what works!

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/08 13:49:08 (permalink)
Ooops! We can't have that! LOL
I am experimenting with it already..... and certainly I'll post if/when I succeed.
Michael
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/13 14:14:01 (permalink)
Week 128: My New BFF Shortcut

This tip has a story behind it because it's a revision of the original, with  info contributed by scook. But before getting into the details, let's set the stage.

We all have our favorite shortcuts, like the magic D shortcut to teleport you from track-land to console-land, and N to turn snap on and off. I also have custom shortcuts that call up different snap values—very handy.

Lately, I’ve found another really useful shortcut. This is one of those “maybe everyone knows about it and I’m just late to the party” things, but if not, I think you’ll find this week’s tip extremely helpful.

In the Track View options menu, you can choose two different Now time rewind behaviors. If “On Stop, Rewind to Now Marker” is checked, when you stop the transport the Now time will return to where you started playback. When in Track View, it’s easy to know you’re in this mode because the Now time line moves, but the “play head” stays where the Now time started. Nice and obvious.

If “On Stop, Rewind to Now Marker” is unchecked, upon stopping the transport the Now time stays where you stopped. In this mode, the Now time head travels along with the Now time line, again making it easy to know which mode you’re in.

When editing a track, I’ll often want the rewind option checked so I can listen, make some edits, then go back to where playback started and audition the edits. But after making those edits, I then want to play through to the next section and upon encountering something that needs a fix, have the Now time stop there instead of rewinding. So I went to the Key Bindings in preferences, didn't see a shortcut assignment, and decided to create one.

Sub-tip: I keep forgetting that you have to choose the Key to see what it's assigned to, not on the function to see which key controls it.

I set up a Key Binding where Alt+Space Bar checks or unchecks this mode because of the convenience of having the Alt key next to the spacebar...

...and then I posted the tip. But after posting, scook pointed out that a factory binding already existed (Ctrl+W) and that another option was leaving Rewind to Now Time permanently enabled, and using Ctrl+spacebar to leave the Now time where you stopped. (If you want to find more fun stuff, SquireBum added that these shortcuts are documented in the Transport shortcuts section of the Help>Keyboard Shortcuts menu.)

I figured that I should just delete the tip since it really didn't offer anything new, but realized maybe not everyone knows about this option, and what it does. So it was at least worth mentioning.

But then I tried the alternate methods, and liked the Alt+spacebar option better because of the ergonomics. Specifically, I find Ctrl+W to be a physically awkward keyboard shortcut. I suppose it's okay if you don't need to use it much, but when you're enabling/disabling often, it's distracting.

Spacebar with Ctrl+spacebar is much better. However, there were still a few aspects I didn't like. When editing I'm doing spacebar-intensive stuff, so having an Alt key on either side of the spacebar is super-convenient. Being left-handed I can toggle the Alt key to the left of the spacebar with my pinky (righties can toggle the Alt key to the right of the spacebar), and work the spacebar with my index finger. That way I don't have to move my hand from the space bar. 

Also while it may seem like a small thing, I use the QWERTY keyboard and shortcuts a lot. With RSI issues the fewer keys I need to hit, and the more I can keep my hand from having to contort, the better. Also, I prefer doing as much as possible by feel instead of having to look at the keyboard so I can keep focused on the screen (which is why I'm getting more and more into a touchscreen laid out like a mixer panel, but that's another story). 

And stopping at the desired new stop point with Ctrl+spacebar goes against 30 years of muscle memory with "press space bar to play, press again to stop" because the Ctrl key has to be pressed before the spacebar and held while you press the spacebar. Using the Alt key, my index finger has a big target in the middle of the spacebar; although I could re-train myself to anchor my pinky on the Ctrl key, then my index finger has to hit a smaller zone on the left side of the spacebar. Also unlike Ctrl+spacebar, Alt+spacebar allows changing the mode while the transport is running, so as soon as I get past my edits, I can hit Alt+Spacebar (the transport doesn't stop) and stop at any time after that just by hitting the spacebar.

I almost didn't write the next aspect I like because it seems silly, but when using Ctrl+spacebar, you don't see the play head move along with the now time when Rewind to Now Time is deselected. With Alt+spacebar, or using Ctrl+W, you do. To me, the visual confirmation that I've moved out of editing mode and am now playing forward to the next section underscores that I'm making progress. I know, I know...it's silly. But once you get used to seeing the play head move or not seeing the play head move, you kind of expect it.

So try the various options to determine which one you like best. Meanwhile, I'm sticking with Alt+Spacebar because it's kinder on my hands and more ergonomic. If that wasn't an option, I'd use Spacebar+Ctrl spacebar. I would not use Ctrl+W. And for those people who hate keyboard shortcuts, you can always choose from the Options menu.

TranceCanada
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 198
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/13 14:39:57 (permalink)
That's awesome, I had no idea this was an option.  The fact that the now time didn't revert back to where you started playback has bugged me for so long that I just figured that was a part of what I needed to live with in using Sonar, I am so excited to start using this all the time

Cakewalk: Sonar Platinum x64 (Lifetime), Producer X3e, Producer X2
Soft Synths: Z3TA+2, Rapture Pro, Xpand2, Serum
System 1: HP Envy23, Win10 x64, Core i7-3770 3.1Ghz, 8GB Ram
System 2: Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Win10 x64, Core i5-4300U 1.9Ghz/2.5Ghz, 4GB Ram
Audio: M-Audio M-Box Mini 2
Controllers: Edirol PCR-M80
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/13 18:10:38 (permalink)
I wish more guys treated their DAWs as instruments and learned them like you guys. Especially Anderson and scook.
Thanks for the help in rising above the basic knowledge.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
The Grim
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/13 18:43:56 (permalink)
exactly the way i have always done it in studio one (alt/space) and then set up sonar the same, couldn't imagine not having it, and the alt/space combo  is easy and quick, changing on the fly is a breeze
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/13 23:57:37 (permalink)
I like W and ctrl+W because I use W as return to zero. I have for so long I can't remember another way except with a hardware controller. Using ctrl to toggle the key's behavior just makes sense to me.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
rebel007
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 926
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/14 01:03:12 (permalink)
I bless the day I chose Typing over French in my year 8 electives. This was 1975 and I thought this would be one of the most useless life skills I would ever learn in school. Never did I imagine computer keyboards would be so prevalent. To be able to touch type and have the muscle memory to know where every key is on the keyboard without having to ever look is a skill anyone who has ever learned knows how valuable it now is.
Dosnt stopp thee typoos  oar the bad gramma thow.
Always keen to learn new keyboard shortcuts

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/14 01:35:45 (permalink)
Alt-spacebar seems like a good replacement for ctrl-spacebar. Changing modes for what the spacebar means is more "state" to keep in mind.

W10 pro, Sonar Platinum, Alesis Multimix 16 FW, MOTU Express 128, Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, i7 8700K, 16 Gigs, ssd + 2 X 2T disks, D50-MEX, JV80, A90EX, M1REX
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/14 10:47:47 (permalink)
gswitz
I like W and ctrl+W because I use W as return to zero. I have for so long I can't remember another way except with a hardware controller. Using ctrl to toggle the key's behavior just makes sense to me.

Me too. Hitting "w" once during playback is my pause button. Likewise "w" during stop rewinds to the beginning. I'm going to review Craig's tips with Sonar running to see what I could add to better control the very important stop/start/pause/rewind aspects. 

Great tips Craig for not only showing new ways, but causing me to rethink how I use Sonar.

Dave
Songs

Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/14 12:48:07 (permalink)
gswitz

...and that to me is one of SONAR's strong points: there are often several ways to accomplish the same function, so you can use what works best for you. It's really a revelation for me to look over the shoulders of SONAR users and realize they all use the program in completely different ways, with completely different workflows. 

listen
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 593
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/14 14:39:00 (permalink)
Good Stuff!!!!!

- Listen -
FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/15 09:18:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pentimentosound 2017/01/15 19:14:34
So this is the tip that never ends...I assigned Alt+ < to rewind and Alt + > to Fast Foward. Those keys are right next to the right-hand Alt button, so they're really close physically. 

thedukewestern
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/16 08:51:21 (permalink)
GREAT TIP

Be the first one who thinks that you can

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 64 bit - clean install January 2016, Focusrite Pro 40, Outboard Pres, Native Instruments Komplete, Izotope, PSP, Melodyne, Vegetarian
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/18 10:40:49 (permalink)
Thanks, for tip 

Id raised this point a few months back when loudly yelling profanities at Sonar for not knowing when I wanted to stop/rewind and when I wanted to pause/continue was disturbing the wife, LOL, I'm trying to keep these to a loud dohhhhhh!
(I guess the Bakers aren't developing mind reading artificial intelligence yet?, or electrodes to attach to my head?). 

I knew about the ctrl space thing, and reversing it by menu option, the problem being forgetting last selected menu option, and/or holding ctrl key, at a given moment, as I believe Craig also suffered from. I had gotten some different options/answers at the time, like the ctrl W thing. Ill try the alt thing to see if I can get used to that, as I also find jumping to Ctrl W somewhat awkward on the fly, but neither seem to meet my desire, (which may be reading my mind, LOL), perhaps a control device is what I may need, but this may not fully meet desires either. 

Alternatively, I have been trying to minimize blood pressure and yelling profanities by looping around the section I'm editing so at least W will toggle between start of looped section, or start of project, as one way or the other if you hit space bar twice inadvertently you jump to start of project.

Question: Can the control bar previous marker function be assigned to 1 shortcut key? (i.e., not the current 3 Ctrl/Shift/Page down, which is really awkward on the fly), this could help my anger issues, allowing play/pause/continue with space bar, or as set, and quickly jumping back to a marker set at beginning of edit section with the assigned key, I'm thinking "X" key could be convenient, (and aim assist put elsewhere), I guess then at some point you may be left cleaning up a lot of unwanted markers. 

Otherwise, as a possible feature it would be nice if shortcut/bindings could also recognize a mouse, like you can in a video game, so you could assign some of the multiple mouse buttons to some of these shortcut functions, as most all single keyboard keys are already assigned to a shortcut (except O and U)?

Lastly I'm keeping a long piece of 4" x 4" acoustic foam close by for venting frustration. LOL.     

Cheers, thanks again for tip.

PS, I had tried using a device called a ShuttlePro V2, (like a large mouse with 15 assignable buttons and a shuttle/jog wheel}, which claimed to work with Sonar, and many other software's but couldn't seem to assign these functions to it either.      

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/21 01:50:19 (permalink)
Week 129: Jamstik Meets SONAR

If only guitar players could access the same wide world of sounds as keyboard players can with synthesizers and samplers…and they can, thanks to the perseverance of companies like Roland and Fishman that make MIDI guitars. But even the strongest MIDI guitar proponents know there are limitations—like tracking, glitches when trying to record into a MIDI sequencer, and cost.

Jamstik from Zivix is an interesting solution that flies under the radar. Although intended more as a way to learn to play guitar with the company’s apps, the way it accesses those apps is through MIDI. Yes…the same MIDI that speaks to SONAR.

THE BASICS

Let’s get these out of the way first, and then cover some tips on why it’s a suitable companion to Rapture Pro and SONAR.

Jamstik is not a guitar. It feels mostly like a guitar because it has real strings, a neck, and frets, but it doesn’t make any sound—on the plus side, you don’t have to change or tune the strings. Also, given that it has five notes, it’s really a “first-position chords” guitar. You can’t go much past a barre G or first position A played as C, and of course, playing leads high up on the “neck” is out of the question. Also, it’s about $300, but you won’t find it at GC or Sweetwater; it’s more of an Amazon.com, Best Buy, Marbles, or buy direct sort of thing. And while the tracking is exceptionally good because really, there’s nothing to track (and the velocity response is good as well), the more cleanly you play, the better. Compare the screen shot below to what comes out of a MIDI guitar—big difference.

However, Jamstik is Mac-centric. Although there are iOS and Mac apps that let it do string-bending and adjust response, there’s no Windows-compatible app to make these features available. However, you don't need to app to transpose or change octaves, initiate a Tap mode, or change MIDI modes.

Finally, because it’s physically small, you’ll need to use the included strap, and it’s a little harder to work your way around the neck than a guitar. However, it doesn’t take long to acclimate yourself and if you want to lay down a MIDI part based on playing rhythm guitar, you’re good to go.

THE TIPS

Jamstik generates a bunch of controller data that’s not relevant to what we’re doing. So, in SONAR you can disable everything except Notes under Preferences > MIDI > Playback and Recording > Record to thin out the data stream.

Glitches really aren’t an issue, because the Jamstik uses infrared sensors to detect when your finger is on a fret. However, you can generate sub-20 ms notes that while not problematic, aren’t needed. Use the Process > Deglitch function to get rid of them and clean things up.

And of course, the controller is only half of the MIDI guitar story; the synth is the other part. One reason why people have a hard time with MIDI guitar is that synth patches often can’t be programmed optimally, and this is why Rapture Pro is such a great companion. Jamstik is multi-timbral, so each string can go to its own Rapture Pro Element if under Rapture Pro’s Options, you choose “Set Program as Multitimbral.”

Program an element to give a cool sound with one string and under “Perform,” choose 1 for voices—then it responds like a real guitar, where a string can play only one note at a time. After you’ve nailed one Element, copy it to the other Elements. Or not…or lower some Elements by an octave, while raising others.

Note that you don’t have to use multi-timbral mode, so if you want to play something like a pad, you can create a layered sound in Rapture Pro and drive it in Poly mode.

Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/21 09:32:42 (permalink)
Thanks Craig - glad to see you. 
Nice tip. I'm a dreadful guitarist (as a keyboard player I usually get by with one of several guitar libraries that serve my needs via MIDI). But this looks intriguing. Question - what is the MIDI input type (USB, 5 Pin ?).

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/21 10:52:05 (permalink)
USB

Brando
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/21 13:24:05 (permalink)
Thanks Craig

Brando
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/22 02:53:50 (permalink)
Sorry to be so brief, at NAMM

Brando
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/22 09:24:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/01/22 09:37:16
No explanation needed. You're insanely busy as always. Enjoy (the last day of) NAMM.

Brando
Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/22 09:45:40 (permalink)
Hi. So this will work in Windows, but not with all all options available?
If so, it would probably work wonders for my extreme lack of keyboard skills 
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Brando
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/22 10:33:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/01/22 11:12:32
Zargg
Hi. So this will work in Windows, but not with all all options available?
If so, it would probably work wonders for my extreme lack of keyboard skills 
All the best.

Together we'd make one fine musician.

Brando
Anderton
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/22 10:41:12 (permalink)
Brando
No explanation needed. You're insanely busy as always. Enjoy (the last day of) NAMM.

I will! And I nailed down something extremely cool for Cakewalk that should surface in a a couple months.

Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/22 11:13:20 (permalink)
Anderton
Brando

I will! And I nailed down something extremely cool for Cakewalk that should surface in a a couple months.

Nice! Looking forwards to whatever it might be.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Brando
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/22 18:14:18 (permalink)
Anderton
Brando

Looking forward to it

Brando
Keith Albright [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1117
Re: SONAR X August: 31 Days of Tips 2017/01/23 08:29:34 (permalink)
Also note that Jamstik sends MIDI over BTLE.  Microsoft had recently announced we were working on Windows 10 support of BTLE.
https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/09/21/midi-enhancements-in-windows-10/#fCloY7DwxelBEgPs.97

Keith

Keith
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 21
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1