3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mark s
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1140
RE: 3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note! 2009/04/06 22:51:15 (permalink)
RRabbi:

if you're only using one unit and have no problems, like I did when I only had my 896hd, then don't bother.

When Microsoft "upgraded" their firewire drivers to sp2 they broke them. They are not still fixed into Vista. As a result those of use who have multiple units connected together have difficult, if not impossible, times getting them to sync with each other.

Previously the only fix was rolling back to the sp1 firewire drivers but they do not have multiple cpu capability which is an obvious limitation.

These drivers are working for me on and x2 dual operton system.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

On a side not I'll comment that just in the past couple weeks MOTU is finally recognizing there is something wrong with their daisy chained firewire units and for the first time is suggesting the rollback to SP1. Way to be on top the ball guys!

At the heart of it, this is a Microsoft problem but we're the one suffering through lack of support and acknowledgment from companies we're spending a lot of money with.

nuf said
mark s
RE: 3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note! 2009/04/06 23:07:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mikedocy

ORIGINAL: Lanceindastudio

Hmm I wonder if these firewire drivers might help resolve issues with the presnus users

I tried it with the FireStudio 26x26 but it didn't work. No audio.
The blue sync light on the FS came on meaning that it was connected and device manager showed the FS connected to the TI firewire card but yet no sound.

again: the attempt here is to fix lack of sync with multiple daisy chain firewire users.

If you do not have that problem I suggest that you first find a firewire interface with either a TI or an Agere chipset. As far as I can read, these are the ones that work best with most units, and are recommended by most makers.

If multiple unit sync IS your issue, please register and stop in at MOTUNATION.COM and look into the windows hardware section for the thread "3rd party firewire driver". You'll find in the thread precise implementation instructions and links.

And the usual caveat emptor: My reason for getting this out there is that I might help since they worked for me so far: and that if others do not have as good of luck as I we all might hear what the track record is. So all please try and be a little specific as to what your issues were before you tried these driver,... Please?
post edited by mark s - 2009/04/06 23:20:46
RRabbi
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 923
RE: 3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note! 2009/04/06 23:42:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mark s

RRabbi:

if you're only using one unit and have no problems, like I did when I only had my 896hd, then don't bother.

When Microsoft "upgraded" their firewire drivers to sp2 they broke them. They are not still fixed into Vista. As a result those of use who have multiple units connected together have difficult, if not impossible, times getting them to sync with each other.

Previously the only fix was rolling back to the sp1 firewire drivers but they do not have multiple cpu capability which is an obvious limitation.

These drivers are working for me on and x2 dual operton system.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

On a side not I'll comment that just in the past couple weeks MOTU is finally recognizing there is something wrong with their daisy chained firewire units and for the first time is suggesting the rollback to SP1. Way to be on top the ball guys!

At the heart of it, this is a Microsoft problem but we're the one suffering through lack of support and acknowledgment from companies we're spending a lot of money with.

nuf said

What about, if I'm syncing together (via Wordclock) a Behringer ADA8000 (ADAT) and an Aphex 207d (SPDIF)... My mastering guy told me that the crackling i'm hearing when I load up Sonar 8 PE is maybe caused by the wordclocks taking a while to sync up (can last 10-15 seconds or more)... I can also re-create it if I change the buffer size while Sonar is running. Does the same pops and crackles...

I had thought it was a PCI latency issue, and don't think it's because I have a Ricoh FW chipset... Once the crackling stops, I can record fine for hours.

I think I noticed something tho. Should I always choose timing masters that audio is not passing through? i.e. if my Master bus is feeding the MOTU Main Outs, should I pick the MOTU Phones for the timing master? or vice versa, depending on whatever I'm listening from...?

Dave

David Yanofsky
Green Room East - Moncton, NB - CANADA

http://www.greenroomeast.com
http://www.myspace.com/greenroomeast
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
RE: 3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note! 2009/04/07 01:27:42 (permalink)
You will hear some crackle/pops/etc when units are syncing via workclock... but that process happens in just a couple of seconds.
Once they're locked together... you shouldn't hear any more artifacts.
If you change audio settings in Sonar, the units will have to re-sync... so the noise will be audible (again) for a couple of seconds.

Doesn't matter which audio port you select as the timing masters. They're all using the same clock (MOTU's internal clock).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
mark s
RE: 3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note! 2009/04/19 00:15:45 (permalink)
an update:

installed the avt drivers on my 2gig Pentium M laptop and they are so far working quite well.

Still having issues with the asio drivers even with the 3.6.8.1359 driver. I'll be checking into install procedure and probably pop off a technote to MOTU if I can figure it out. Still, I'm getting under 5ms with wdm. Will still need to stress test it a bit before I can say I'm happy.
VigilantSound
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 474
RE: 3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note! 2009/04/19 21:11:44 (permalink)
Mark s, I have a copy of the 3.6.7.4 driver that does not even include the asio driver. Just FYI. Maybe the same one you got? I did eventually find a good one.

ASUS P5BV-C, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.8 Ghz, Q9300,
4 gigs Ram, Win7-64 bit OSX 10.6
ADK 9000 I7, 6 gigs Ram, MacBookPro I7, 4 gigs Ram
MOTU 828Mk3, MOTU microbookII
SONAR PE X2A, Pro Tools 9.0.6, StudioOnePro 2.5.4
Ableton Live 9, Waves V.9, 

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

mark s
RE: 3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note! 2009/04/19 22:36:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: VigilantSound

Mark s, I have a copy of the 3.6.7.4 driver that does not even include the asio driver. Just FYI. Maybe the same one you got? I did eventually find a good one.

for grins, how big is the file?

I still suspect it's an install issue since I have a similar problem using the 3.6.8.1359 version that came with my 8pre. I put in a tech link to MOTU, I'll see what they say, whenever.
craigt
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 70
Re: RE: 3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note! 2010/02/23 10:55:01 (permalink)
I receive a "link appears to be broken" message when trying to use the AVT link for the bus driver posted in the first post in this thread. My OS is Win 7 64 bit, so I downloaded AVT FirePackage 64 and installed it. FirePackage64 v1.1 downloads from the right column of this page:

http://www.alliedvisiontec.com/us/products/software/windows/avt-firepackage.html However, the system cannot find my Ultralite or its drivers. Also, the Windows drivers do not remain, and I had to uninstall AVT to get back to Windows drivers. It did not appear that additional steps beyond installation are required for the 64 bit driver to work.  Are additional steps required? How can I use the AVT driver?

i7 Pro Studio (Jim Roseberry) i7 950 at 3.06 Ghz; 12GB RAM
3-1TB TB SATA Drives 7200 rpm; Win 7 Pro 64 bit; TI Firewire Chipset; Stein/Yamaha MR816CSX; John Hardy M-1 preamp; Lexicon M300; TC Helicon Voiceworks; Yamaha MO8; St. Blues Mississippi Bluesmaster
Jim Roseberry
Re: RE: 3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note! 2010/02/23 23:13:07 (permalink)
The 64Bit AVT driver package won't work for FW audio devices...  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
craigt
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 70
Re: RE: 3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note! 2010/02/24 10:51:29 (permalink)
Thanks Jim.  

i7 Pro Studio (Jim Roseberry) i7 950 at 3.06 Ghz; 12GB RAM
3-1TB TB SATA Drives 7200 rpm; Win 7 Pro 64 bit; TI Firewire Chipset; Stein/Yamaha MR816CSX; John Hardy M-1 preamp; Lexicon M300; TC Helicon Voiceworks; Yamaha MO8; St. Blues Mississippi Bluesmaster
pmd
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: RE: 3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note! 2010/04/08 15:16:43 (permalink)
Hi,

very interresting this post ! Thanks to all of you.

Therefore, does anyone here make AVT Universal Package_1v0 works on an integrated firewire chipset ?

On my side, install is ok, but when I switch to "AVT driver" on AVT 1394 Bus Driver Installer, my Motu 828MKII fw is no more recognized.

Do you think that only way to make it work is to add a PCi card with TI chipset ?

I also edit a post here more complete on Motunation forum here.

best regards

2 SSD & 1 SATA HDD

Jim Roseberry
Re: RE: 3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note! 2010/04/09 02:44:46 (permalink)
If you're asking whether the AVT drivers circumvent the need to use a good TI chipset Firewire controller, the answer is a definite no.     You still need a good TI chipset FW controller.

The AVT drivers are a replacement for the Microsoft FW drivers... which (under x86) have allowed MOTU users to run multiple units.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
pmd
Re: RE: 3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note! 2010/04/10 15:37:33 (permalink)
Ok thanks Jim,
I understand that, but if my motherboard have an integrated Ti chipset, how can I do to make my Motu recognized when AVT drivers are loaded ?

Best regards

2 SSD & 1 SATA HDD
Jim Roseberry
Re: RE: 3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note! 2010/04/11 12:32:30 (permalink)
Once you've used the AVT installed control panel applet to switch to the AVT Firewire drivers, you might need to reload the MOTU drivers.  I'd first try shutting off the MOTU (while the PC is running)... then wait a few seconds and power the MOTU back on.
If this doesn't work, uninstall the MOTU drivers and reload them.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
pmd
Re: RE: 3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note! 2010/04/11 16:39:16 (permalink)
Hi Jim and thanks for your quick reply.

I test the two methods, but nothing arrived, my Motu is still not recognized ... (of course it is when I switch again on microsoft 1394 bus driver, but it's not what I'm looking for).
Anyway, I'm fade up with, so I will test in few days with a good TI chipset Firewire PCI card controller !

Best regards
pmd
Re: RE: 3rd party firewire drivers MOTU MULTIPLE UNIT USERS take note! 2010/04/23 05:43:10 (permalink)
Hi,

It's working perfectly for 10 days with avt driver and a TI chipset Firewire PCI card controller  

I could decrease now buffer size without any problem, from 1024 to 128, without pops & clics or something else bizar! 

Really, really happy to discover with your help these 3rd party ...

THANKS !
Hope it will save life to a lot of people!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1