Helpful Reply500Hz and 1kHz - most common frequency collision areas?

Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2016/05/31 20:13:00 (permalink)

500Hz and 1kHz - most common frequency collision areas?

I've been using MMultiAnalyzer a lot to EQ my tracks for better separation, and what I've found is that the most common areas it's collision detection feature alerts me to are the areas around 500Hz and 1kHz. Give or take a hundred Hz or so, these are the regions which seem to require the most attention. Is there any particular reason why this should be? Has anyone else noticed this? Like I find I'm frequency cutting 500-600Hz in instruments to make the bass cut through a little more.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
mikedocy
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1157
Re: 500Hz and 1kHz - most common frequency collision areas? 2016/05/31 23:07:22 (permalink)
The 500 to 1KHz region is important because it is usually where the vocal or melody resides.
It can help to remove a little of that frequency range from the instruments to keep the melody on top.
It depends on the song and arrangement. Sometimes, removing that frequency range from the instruments doesn't sound good. In that case the arrangement needs to change. Example: Change the piano to either a lower or higher octave so it doesn't clash with the melody/vocal, or scrap the piano part completely and make a new part.

I have had a similar problem with direct recorded bass guitar. The mix sounded great on big speakers but the bass was weak on small speakers. The solution was to add a 500 Hz bell curve to the bass. Adding 500 to the bass sounded better than removing a little 500 from the instruments. It depends on the instrumentation and arrangement. Try it both ways and let your ears decide what is best. 

mesayre
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 195
Re: 500Hz and 1kHz - most common frequency collision areas? 2016/06/01 01:33:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2016/06/04 07:47:10
This isn't exactly a scientific answer, but pseudo-scientific...

Every now and then I rediscover this handy little chart. It's been floating around for a decade, so perhaps you've seen it:
http://www.audio-issues.c...ation-youll-ever-need/

Lots of instruments have their fundamental frequencies in the mid hundreds - some of them you might not even expect, like cymbals.

If my memory is serving me correctly, many instruments (eg brass) also carry much of their acoustic power in their second harmonic. Bass really relies on second harmonic to cut through, in my experience. And that's right there in the mid hundreds too.

Once you start throwing in guitar amp distortion, you get all kinds of sidebands, too, and the mids get very crowded indeed.

Mike Sayre
Composer, Horn Player

Sonar Platinum, Win10x64

My new album, Music for Icebergs, is now on iTunes
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: 500Hz and 1kHz - most common frequency collision areas? 2016/06/01 07:51:46 (permalink)
For me, it's more likely to be 400 Hz and 2 KHz, but the principle's the same. As Mike notes above, the phenomenon is simply due to many tracks contributing to the same 300-500 Hz range. 

Consider acoustic guitars and pianos, for example. Both were as designed to be full-range solo instruments. Which is fine if you're playing guitar around the campfire or piano in the parlor, but when thrown into a dense rock mix you have no choice but to thin them out to avoid spectral crowding.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
sharke
Re: 500Hz and 1kHz - most common frequency collision areas? 2016/06/01 10:36:39 (permalink)
Yeah I find I have to cut a lot out with pianos. When detecting frequency collisions with bass there's always a very dense collision around the 500-600Hz mark and I always feel there's some good stuff in the bass there so I cut some out of the other instruments. I think it makes the bass "nose through" the mix a little more. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: 500Hz and 1kHz - most common frequency collision areas? 2016/06/01 13:38:37 (permalink)
only cut what sounds bad.

maybe those frequencies actually sound GOOD on certain parts,
and a blanket rule simply whimpifies some of your best tracks.

'collision' detection....
there's a real mind phuck of a term.......

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

sharke
Re: 500Hz and 1kHz - most common frequency collision areas? 2016/06/01 16:45:13 (permalink)
batsbrew

I only use Collision Detection on tracks I feel could use some separation, and if it tells me that there are a lot of collisions around 500Hz I will make a cut around there on one of the tracks, and it definitely helps distinguish them both. I wouldn't make the cut in the same place on both tracks.

James
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: 500Hz and 1kHz - most common frequency collision areas? 2016/06/01 17:34:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mesayre 2016/06/04 10:25:59
For me it is more like 300 Hz and 2KHz and above.  But yes there is a lot of information around 1KHz sometimes.

But we are still not addressing the real issues.  These overlapping problems tend to exist because the parts are over playing.  If two parts are always overlapping each other then the better place to sort these types of problems out are in the arrangement itself.  Why not ensure some parts are not playing when other parts are.

Parts can weave in and out of each other much more so.  They don't have to overlap.  Listen to Steely Dan for the ultimate in economical parts. (Even in the most complex of their tunes you can still walk right around in the mix and touch the black backdrop behind the music!)  Then when you get this happening you don't have to EQ the crap out of something to make it work.  In fact you can leave it alone and allow it to sound fuller and better.  Even add to the sound by making it sound fuller again and then after that you can turn it down a little. (Maximum illusion, minimum voltage)

Several parts can come together to make an identical statement too and that is powerful as well.  Then it is more about balancing them (for that section only) volume wise and not so much eq cutting.

When there is too much going on and too may parts are playing at the same time then more of this EQ cutting crap has to used in order to make it sound OK but then you end up with a whole lot of thin sounding parts.  And the result is still unclear.  (because there is still too much going on !)

What many of you don't realise is that if any of you had the opportunity to work with a really great producer on one of your own songs what they would do first is cut half of the stuff you guys have tracked right out leaving space and only the real important stuff behind.  People are too scared to cut stuff out and leave space behind. They think it does not sound full and is weak but the opposite is true.  It sounds fat, strong and clear.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: 500Hz and 1kHz - most common frequency collision areas? 2016/06/02 01:40:07 (permalink)
Thanks, Jeff, for another very enlightening post. I really enjoy your detailed to-the-point explanations.

Having the arrangement take care of the mix is a great, but unfortunately takes a lot of time/pre-production and also convincing people. Just last night I had a drummer eventually realizing (after the 3rd round of "downsizing" his groove) that if he completely leaves out the ghost notes on that verse, it doesn't get thinner but the opposite is happening as now the subtle rhythmic throbbing of the synths was no longer masked by his ghosts and snare rattle and the whole section developed different dynamics and feel ... so I reckon it applies across all instruments and not only to the studio as this was during a rehearsal session for a live show.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
batsbrew
Re: 500Hz and 1kHz - most common frequency collision areas? 2016/06/02 10:04:17 (permalink)
sharke
batsbrew

I only use Collision Detection on tracks I feel could use some separation, and if it tells me that there are a lot of collisions around 500Hz I will make a cut around there on one of the tracks, and it definitely helps distinguish them both. I wouldn't make the cut in the same place on both tracks.

sharke, i kinda figured that,
but thought i'd put it out there for anybody who hasn't really gone there before...

there are so many dumb ideas being floated out in the interwebs, some people don't do their homework,
but this is actually a GREAT idea when used properly, exactly like the way you described.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Rbh
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2349
Re: 500Hz and 1kHz - most common frequency collision areas? 2016/06/02 23:44:05 (permalink)
I think I recall a Ken Scott interview where he noted that 200 hz was the ugliest frequency on the spectrum. He said he never failed to cut 200 hz out of almost everything. I isolated a few tracks with a steep 200hz band pass - and I'll be damned -  it IS ugly.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
12 Gig
Appollo
CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
 Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
batsbrew
Re: 500Hz and 1kHz - most common frequency collision areas? 2016/06/03 11:51:04 (permalink)
200 hz is where most of the thump in your music comes from.
you need 200 hz.
on certain things.

a lot of times, if you have buildup of 100hz, and do cuts, you can boost at 200hz on the same tracks and get 'warmth' back....

so it all depends on the individual track, how you mix them, and how other tracks interact at that particular freq.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: 500Hz and 1kHz - most common frequency collision areas? 2016/06/03 16:24:33 (permalink)
Dang, so there is no one size fits all?

Who knew?
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: 500Hz and 1kHz - most common frequency collision areas? 2016/06/03 16:35:05 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

What many of you don't realise is that if any of you had the opportunity to work with a really great producer on one of your own songs what they would do first is cut half of the stuff you guys have tracked right out leaving space and only the real important stuff behind.  People are too scared to cut stuff out and leave space behind. They think it does not sound full and is weak but the opposite is true.  It sounds fat, strong and clear.

This is one of the reasons I have a really good producer/friend mix my projects.  He can choose what to keep and what to omit, where I have too many parts that i love.

Rbh
I think I recall a Ken Scott interview where he noted that 200 hz was the ugliest frequency on the spectrum. He said he never failed to cut 200 hz out of almost everything. I isolated a few tracks with a steep 200hz band pass - and I'll be damned -  it IS ugly.

If you're a Ken Scott fan (and who isn't), pick up his book "From Abby Road to Ziggy Stardust."  An amazing book, and I couldn't put it down until I'd read it twice (and created a KS playlist on my phone, as he detailed a lot of specific amazing work).

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: 500Hz and 1kHz - most common frequency collision areas? 2016/06/05 16:17:50 (permalink)
I often hear people citing an arrangement as the problem in a mix when in reality, I can't disagree more. I've heard  some busy mixes in my time where there were counter melodies, and technical riffs along with orchestra sections. Though I can see where this may be a concern to some, I highly doubt the majority of us are dealing with Trans Siberian Orchestra mixes.

Frequency masking is the biggest culprit along with not making the right calls simply because a person doesn't know when to tweak or when a sound needs to really be discarded. Proper compression as well as panning, control of panning of effects and eq-ing of effects is crucial. We all too often forget to mention this and right away blame an arrangement. An artist should be able to create and play what they want, even if it clashes with something. It is our job as the engineer to make it work, not just remove it as a clutter track.

I'll give you a tip to totally prove my point. Any time you think the arrangement is causing the problem, put a high pass to the extreme on each instrument in the mix to where all low end is removed. From there, mix and pan the instruments to where you can hear them all. Then, gradually release your high pass a little on each instrument. As soon as you notice masking or something disappearing to where you need to raise a fader on something, you have found a source of masking. Eliminate the masking, not the track or the arrangement.

The only time I have messed with an arrangement is when it was so cluttered and against the grain, that it sounded like 5 different songs were playing at the same time, and the track made no sense. OR....when a keyboard player is playing left hand on top of the bass guitar track. Other than that, I have never had to mess with an arrangement or tell someone to change something. It has to be really extreme for me to even try to persuade a client to change their song. So I always attack the mix and exhaust everything regarding it before I go after the arrangement. ;)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1