5400 RPM Hard Drive

Author
PeteNova
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
2010/07/31 15:27:56 (permalink)

5400 RPM Hard Drive

Hi
  I'm in the process of completing a CD project and my computer fried the other day.  The hard drive was fine (thank God) but two memory slots fried.  Instead of spending a couple of hundred for a new motherboard, I went out and bought this computer.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Desktop+with+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+Quad-Core+Processor/9685029.p?id=1218146395806&skuId=9685029
Everything looked good and I got a decent deal on it, but I didn't learn until I had it for a couple of days that it has a 5400 rpm hard drive not the recommended 7200 rpm.  That info wasn't on the spec sheet and I just assumed that all hard drives on more recent computers were at least 7200 so I didn't really think about it.  So far it hasn't been a problem but I'm still loading stuff and I haven't done any tracking on it yet, just mixing.  Will this be a problem?  Should I upgrade?  That would kind of suck but I'll do it if I have to. I'm surprised that with 6 gigs of memory, a terabyte drive and a quad core processor that they would throw in a 5400 rpm drive.  Any advice or suggestions?
Thanks
Pete
post edited by PeteNova - 2010/07/31 15:30:29

6 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:5400 RPM Hard Drive 2010/07/31 15:31:43 (permalink)
    As long as you have a 7200RPM hard drive for your audio, you will be alright. That's amazing that it came with such a drive in it though...II thought you where talking about a laptop, but its a desktop and there usually come with 7200rpm drives.
    You could just take the 5200 rpm drive out and replace it, if problems occur, but as long as your audio driver is 7200RPM, you should be fine.

If your really unhappy, see if you can return the pc?
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:5400 RPM Hard Drive 2010/08/01 14:58:33 (permalink)
    Hmmm... 6  gig of memory and a 5400 rpm drive? Usually the only place you can even find that kind of drive is in a laptop these days, where it is used to decrease power consumption for longer battery life. Have you checked out the power supply on this machine? Are they only cutting costs on the hard drive, or did they do it because the power is insufficient. It may matter if you intend to add drives or a high power video card.
    kmcm
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:5400 RPM Hard Drive 2010/08/01 20:34:56 (permalink)
    I'm truly suprised that a notebook hard drive should be in a desktop machine - have a chat with your supplier and see if a swap + a few $ is possible.  They will probably say no - due to warrantee etc: but you never know.

The other option is to buy and install a small SATA hard drive and load your Windows and Programs on that - make this your C: drive. 

Then use the TB hard drive for all your files and folders/archive - (D: usually reserved for optical) - first available after that is usually E,: F:, drive.  Card reader may hog the, but just go for last letter available.

Try to pick the fastest drive you can afford. You only need enough space on it to hold the OS + Programs/Applications/VST's/loops/samples, and believe me 80GB is more than enough.

Even though the 5,200 is slower, once the OS and Programs are loaded and running from the fast drive, the read/write- send/fetch to and from the slower drive is not that important.  Make sure that 'system performance is set to applications, and make your paging file about 2x your RAM size. Don't move the paging file away from the fast drive.

If you know a bit about the "Tree - Branches" of files and folders, it may be best to move some of your program presets destinations to the slower drive, eg; final destination of projects/completed works/final mix/music and doc archive etc: all pointing the 'save' to the TB drive.

Go through all your programs 'options' or 'global' dialogues and point the larger "saves" to the TB drive

Hope this helps - Kevin
    post edited by kmcm - 2010/08/01 20:48:21

Music Creator 5 - Gigabyte X48 motherboard - 4MB dd3 Ram - Intel Duo 3GHz - Windows Vista - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro - 4 x Sata2 Hard Drives in Striped RAID Array - Studio monitor amp and speakers - Yamaha Electric / Midi Piano

Kevin @ Brisbane Australia
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:5400 RPM Hard Drive 2010/08/02 00:05:22 (permalink)
    PeteNova

Hi
      I'm in the process of completing a CD project and my computer fried the other day.  The hard drive was fine (thank God) but two memory slots fried.  Instead of spending a couple of hundred for a new motherboard, I went out and bought this computer.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Desktop+with+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+Quad-Core+Processor/9685029.p?id=1218146395806&skuId=9685029
    Everything looked good and I got a decent deal on it, but I didn't learn until I had it for a couple of days that it has a 5400 rpm hard drive not the recommended 7200 rpm.  That info wasn't on the spec sheet and I just assumed that all hard drives on more recent computers were at least 7200 so I didn't really think about it.  So far it hasn't been a problem but I'm still loading stuff and I haven't done any tracking on it yet, just mixing.  Will this be a problem?  Should I upgrade?  That would kind of suck but I'll do it if I have to. I'm surprised that with 6 gigs of memory, a terabyte drive and a quad core processor that they would throw in a 5400 rpm drive.  Any advice or suggestions?
    Thanks
    Pete

I think you'll be fine.

Don't worry in advance.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    planetearth
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 763
    Re:5400 RPM Hard Drive 2010/08/02 02:45:46 (permalink)
    They're throwing slower hard drives into machines now to save some money. A 5400 RPM drive is not necessarily a laptop hard drive; it may be a full-size drive running at a slower speed.

Ultimately, you'll want the biggest, fastest drives you can afford. You probably can't return this machine without a "restocking fee", so you might just want to accept the fact that you saved some money on it, and spend another $120 on two good SATA-II drives--one for your instruments, and a larger one for your recordings (keep Windows 7 on the drive that came with the PC). Newegg.com and other on-line retailers have great deals on them--just check the RPM speed before you buy!

A few words of advice: Stay away from Seagate for anything over 500 GB, and don't get Western Digital "Green" series drives. They're reliable, but slow.

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:5400 RPM Hard Drive 2010/08/02 07:01:45 (permalink)
    When the 10,000 RPM drive arrive, 7500 RPM drives will be no good for making music? ...Then the latency will be negative.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1