6 Weeks until King Crimson in Austin!

Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2017/08/31 00:08:36 (permalink)

6 Weeks until King Crimson in Austin!

I have front row tix.  There are not many videos of this tour on the net, but this cover of Heroes shows just what a huge band Fripp is travelling with.  3 Drummers? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JywkrIiXW8

Mostly tunes from the Pre-Belew era. 

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!

9 Replies Related Threads

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: 6 Weeks until King Crimson in Austin! 2017/08/31 00:39:19 (permalink)
    space_cowboy
    3 Drummers? 

Always good to have extras in case one passes out drunk, gets locked in a car or spontaneously combusts! 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    space_cowboy
    Re: 6 Weeks until King Crimson in Austin! 2017/08/31 01:12:31 (permalink)
    didnt spinal tap have an issue with combustion?

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    craigb
    Re: 6 Weeks until King Crimson in Austin! 2017/08/31 01:27:41 (permalink)
    space_cowboy
    didnt spinal tap have an issue with combustion?

Yep!  Bands I was in from '79 thru '84 had similar problems with drummers.  One went the same way as Bonham, another committed suicide with pills and booze when his girlfriend left him, one died of unknown reasons (unknown to me anyway) but the best was the one that got accidentally beheaded!  He was drunk and walked out into the street where a car hit him then a second car ran him over severing his head from his body - yuck!

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: 6 Weeks until King Crimson in Austin! 2017/08/31 01:59:16 (permalink)
    Plenty of time to get the boat ready.

Seriously, it looks pretty bad down there. Are you still on high ground?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    space_cowboy
    Re: 6 Weeks until King Crimson in Austin! 2017/08/31 04:49:38 (permalink)
    we have survived with minimal damage.  I live in a part of Houston known as the Heights - because it is higher than the rest of the city.  It is on one of our two hills in Houston.  Water got close tho...

Thanks for asking.  I have never seen anything like this!

Moshkito
    Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3765
    Re: 6 Weeks until King Crimson in Austin! 2017/09/02 21:38:08 (permalink)
    craigb
    space_cowboy
    3 Drummers? 

Always good to have extras in case one passes out drunk, gets locked in a car or spontaneously combusts! 

This is where you are supposed to stop thinking "rock'n'roll" and start thinking MUSIC.

Funny thing ... you never complained about 20 violins for Beethoven or Tchaikovsky, have you?

There is a lot more going on in there with them than not, and most of it is stupendous and ... like myself and my friend when we came out ... the first thing he said was ... this certainly closes the book on a lot of cheap music and pop music!

Remember the difference!

This is like the best classical music concert you will EVER get a chance to see! Only difference is that it is not at the MET where it should be.

The CD Live in Toronto has most of the show on it. I don't think that RF will allow a video release until after he leaves us. He's not a believer that the visual can improve the music itself. And, in some ways, I have to agree. Make time to close your eyes for 15 minutes and just listen ... it's glorious!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
    craigb
    Re: 6 Weeks until King Crimson in Austin! 2017/09/02 23:49:41 (permalink)
    Moshkito
    Funny thing ... you never complained about 20 violins for Beethoven or Tchaikovsky, have you?

Absolutely!  There should not be more than 16.  

Moshkito
    Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3765
    Re: 6 Weeks until King Crimson in Austin! 2017/09/03 21:50:51 (permalink)
    craigb
    Moshkito

Absolutely!  There should not be more than 16.  

I think you get the point ... we can not conceive of different things being done ... and KC had toured before with the equivalent of 2 bands already ... doing different and separate material in each one. I think it was the two quartets or something like it.

The 3 drummer thing was, originally for me, probably not worthwhile, but then I thought ... wait a minute ... RF is a master arranger of music, and adds his own above it ... so it should work if it can be defined, but these 3 guys together ... (before the 4th added) can not just be considered drummers ... at times one of them plays the keyboards, and the other one just does percussion sounds, and in the end, the combination is massive.

Again ... if all you can think is Chuck Berry and AC/DC, forget it ... KC will bore you silly. 

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
    craigb
    Re: 6 Weeks until King Crimson in Austin! 2017/09/04 01:31:00 (permalink)
    Chuck Berry and AC/DC?  Sounds like a fun band, I'll have to see if I can find anything from them!  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1