600 bucks and a desire for recording

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
SnyderTrigger
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 177
2010/08/30 20:24:55 (permalink)

600 bucks and a desire for recording

Okay. So I have $600, and I was wondering what would be some good things that I could buy with that budget to start out with/upgrade what I already have. Here's what I already have:

• An Edirol UA-20 USB interface
  • An Acoustic-Electric Guitar
  • A cheapy, out-of-the-basement Shure Prologue microphone (dynamic)
  • Sonar 2.0

I'm really looking to just upgrade what I do have so I can do what I'm already doing more effectively/professionally. What are your recommendations? And you can listen to my music at either Myspace, SoundClick OR Facebook. As you can see, I wanna keep it pretty acoustic-based.

Thanks guys!
post edited by SnyderTrigger - 2010/08/31 00:26:29

"Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has done wonderful deeds. His right hand has won a mighty victory; his holy arm has shown his saving power!" - Psalm 98:1

My music: Nick Marsella @ Reverbnation

39 Replies Related Threads

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/08/30 20:57:46 (permalink)
    I really like what you've done with what you've got.

Not sure if you would be interested in adding a midi keyboard to your collection, but I think that would be a worth while addition with some soft synths.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/08/30 20:59:53 (permalink)
    a sonar upgrade would give you a lot of functions, effects and softsynths to add to your projects.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/08/30 21:13:40 (permalink)
    Beagle

a sonar upgrade would give you a lot of functions, effects and softsynths to add to your projects.

What software do you recommend? I was looking at HS XL, but I'm not sure.

What condenser mics would you guys recommend?

"Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has done wonderful deeds. His right hand has won a mighty victory; his holy arm has shown his saving power!" - Psalm 98:1

Beagle
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/08/30 21:48:13 (permalink)
    Nick,
    I have recommendations for mics, soundcards, preamps and others for entry level on my website.

personally I'd not recommend SHS7 for anyone who has used a full version of sonar before - it's a step back in functionality.  I'd recommend Sonar 8.5 at the minimum.

you can upgrade to S8.5 Studio right now for $199.  that price will go up soon (end of the month?)

SnyderTrigger
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/08/30 21:54:51 (permalink)
    It seems like Sonar 2.0 is really no better than Audacity. Haha. I can still upgrade from what I've got, even if it's outdated like it is and still get the upgrade price?
    Beagle
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/08/30 22:23:28 (permalink)
    yes as long as you registered sonar 2.

Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/08/30 23:42:54 (permalink)
    With the balance get a MXL V67G...it's not great...but for $100 it will give you a very versitile mic that's essentially uncolored and neutral.

You didn't mention monitors at all, they really are the most important recording tool. Your budget doesn't really allow much of a choice there.

It's a tough call, but I would upgrade the daw if your computer is up to snuff. There are some essential tools in the newer version that will really step things up.

After you upgrade the other program, and pu a mic, I'd stash the rest and save up a few hundred more to get some decent monitors. There are some really great choices available.

If you want to see what a lot of pro's and semi-pros are using, checkout gearslutz....lots of monitor threads over there.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/08/31 01:34:47 (permalink)
    I think I'm going to definitely look into two major things - a mic and a software upgrade. Other things will come after that (like an external HDD, better XLR-quarter inch cable, etc.)

Thanks guys! Any other input is much appreciated.
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/08/31 08:10:25 (permalink)
    If you're currently using Sonar 2 how old is your computer?  Did you buy it when Sonar 2 was new or have you upgraded since?

You should check the recommended computer specs for Sonar 8.5 before you upgrade.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Beagle
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/08/31 08:47:54 (permalink)
    that's a good point by Karyn.  if your computer won't handle S8.5 then don't get it or you'll be stuck with software you paid for and can't use.

SnyderTrigger
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/08/31 09:38:35 (permalink)
    Beagle

that's a good point by Karyn.  if your computer won't handle S8.5 then don't get it or you'll be stuck with software you paid for and can't use.

Haha, no, I have a Dual-Core laptop with 2GB RAM, and windows vista (meh...). My dad bought Sonar 2 a long time ago, and he let me play around with it. It runs flawlessly on my computer, with no latency at all. It's just very limited as o what you can do with it (like I said, you can probably do less on Sonar 2 than you can with free programs nowadays like Audacity). 

I should be fine, but is there a demo of the software I could get? That would help me a lot.

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/08/31 11:51:03 (permalink)
    The demo should be up on this site.  Don't know which version - probably 8.xxx

Your computer should be fine - I run a similiar system.  Just be sure to have a second drive for audio.

The best bang for the money is probably a good interface w/  preamps.  Can't do anything w/o those things.  Most convertors are good these days - don't know about the roland you have, but if you are happy.  Preamps are generally good also.

If you do any acoustic recording a good general purpose mic is next on the list.  If you are recording your own vocals it is worthwhile to shop with that in mind.  For $600 you can get a good one.  For male vox a Large Condenser is most common.  For many instruments (acoustic guitar and female vox) a small condensor is better.  A shure 57 (-$100) is a great all arounder, tho not for vox.  another "secret" weapon is a good PZM for a clean, realistic sound.

With mics you can go two ways - a couple of good mics or one really good one.  A 57, a fathead ribbon and something like the MXL sited above would give you a good start on a mic closet.  But if you can get one mic that sounds good on YOUR voice it is worth cutting out some of the others.  You never know until you try.

Next is a quality preamp (if you are doing acoustic music, again).  Makes a big difference, esp. once you get your recording chops.  Something w/ transformers, which most interface preamps don't have.

After that, it is all gravy.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/08/31 18:46:33 (permalink)
    What exactly is a preamp? It's a noob question, I know, but I'm confused.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/08/31 21:25:07 (permalink)
    mics have weak signals... so a preamp bumps the signal and at times adds some color to the sound... often a desirable thing.

Your interface/sound card might have a preamp built in..... mine does. That would not prevent you from buying a pre amp.... many good pre's are in the price range of your entire budget.

BTW: you only "really need one" if the mic plugged into the sound card has extremely low volume.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/08/31 21:53:38 (permalink)
    I'd start by getting a decent condenser mic.
    That would allow you to capture more nuance/detail on both the guitar and vocals.

Next up, I'd consider upgrading the audio interface to something like the FastTrack Ultra (which would deliver low round-trip latency)... and I'd upgrade Sonar to a more recent version.

First things first, I'd start by having a mic that'll do a good job capturing your guitar/vocals/etc.
    There are many good reasonably priced choices.
    The Studio Projects B3 would be worth a look.  It's a large diaphgragm mic with a thin diaphragm.
    The B3 sounds good on acoustic guitar because the thinner (3-micron) diaphragm responds quicker to transients than a typical (6-micron) large diaphragm condenser.  IOW, You get the 'size' you'd expect from the large diaphragm... with transient response closer to a small diaphragm condenser.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/08/31 23:52:13 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

mics have weak signals... so a preamp bumps the signal and at times adds some color to the sound... often a desirable thing.

Your interface/sound card might have a preamp built in..... mine does. That would not prevent you from buying a pre amp.... many good pre's are in the price range of your entire budget.

BTW: you only "really need one" if the mic plugged into the sound card has extremely low volume.

Jim Roseberry

I'd start by getting a decent condenser mic.
    That would allow you to capture more nuance/detail on both the guitar and vocals.

Next up, I'd consider upgrading the audio interface to something like the FastTrack Ultra (which would deliver low round-trip latency)... and I'd upgrade Sonar to a more recent version.

First things first, I'd start by having a mic that'll do a good job capturing your guitar/vocals/etc.
    There are many good reasonably priced choices.
    The Studio Projects B3 would be worth a look.  It's a large diaphgragm mic with a thin diaphragm.
    The B3 sounds good on acoustic guitar because the thinner (3-micron) diaphragm responds quicker to transients than a typical (6-micron) large diaphragm condenser.  IOW, You get the 'size' you'd expect from the large diaphragm... with transient response closer to a small diaphragm condenser.

This is all very good advice/information! Thank you! I think my first priority is a new mic. From there, I think I'm going to look into upgrading my software. I'll give you guys a little list of what I'm going to buy when I have time - then maybe you can give me guidance on what I should change. 

Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/09/01 13:21:01 (permalink)
    Presonus Eureka - http://losangeles.craigsl...fv/msg/1928374762.html
    Guage ECM87 - http://www.gauge-usa.com/ (150 plus shipping for a fantastic sounding mic!)
    Upgrade Sonar http://www.cakewalk.com/products/SONAR/
    Midi keyboard of some type for playing/controlling softsynths and/or plugins
    And last I would recommend Jims suggestion on the fast track ultra-

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    guitardog247
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/09/01 14:02:17 (permalink)
    And I am also going to recommend the Fast track ultra, $350.
    And a large diaphragm condenser mic.  I like the M-Audio Nova, $100

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/09/06 19:00:46 (permalink)
    Hey guys, so I did a little research, took in your suggestions, and thought about it. I'm looking real strongly at a package deal off of www.musiciansfriend.com

In particular, what do you think of this one?
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Fast-Track-MKII-Studio-Package?sku=485736

I know it's PT, but hey, it would work with sonar.

Also, here's an even better one - but it maxes out my budget (leaving no room for other things).
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Pro-Tools-Mbox-2-Bundle?sku=702526

Let me know what you guys think.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/09/06 19:51:41 (permalink)
    In particular, what do you think of this one? http://pro-audio.musician...dio-Package?sku=485736 I know it's PT, but hey, it would work with sonar. Also, here's an even better one - but it maxes out my budget (leaving no room for other things). http://pro-audio.musician...ox-2-Bundle?sku=702526

I'd avoid both of those units...  

The FastTrack Ultra and 8R are the USB units with low round-trip latency.
    The mkII unit is a typical USB audio interface (higher round-trip latency).

The Mbox-II's ASIO driver is sub par.  It works... but not nearly as well as the FastTrack Ultra.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Beagle
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/09/06 20:15:50 (permalink)
    you already have a Roland UA-20, the only thing that the fast track or mbox would get you that you don't already have is a preamp - the quality of the converters and the latency is going to be about the same as the UA-20 for either of those units.  IMO you'd be better off just getting a preamp to go with the UA-20 if you aren't going to upgrade the soundcard more than this level (which is OK if that's what you can afford).

unless you need more than 2 simultaneous inputs, I'd look at a decent mic, a decent preamp and monitors and not worry about upgrading your soundcard until you can afford something in the next level.
    post edited by Beagle - 2010/09/06 20:17:37

SnyderTrigger
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/09/06 20:36:22 (permalink)
    Okay. So all I want to do at this point is record my voice and guitar at the same time. I can't do that with my UA-20, so what do I need to be able to do that (I'm guessing a pre-amp...but if I bought the FastTrack, I could probably just skip the preamp, right)? Also, for a mic, what about that AT2020 in the second package I posted? And monitors - would a good set of headphones do the trick? I still would like to upgrade Sonar as well. 

Haha, thanks for all your input guys - I really do appreciate it.

EDIT: Okay, I see what you're saying now, Beagle. But I found a Fast Track Ultra on craigslist for about 250 - is that a good price? I'm thinking I could just dissolve the cost of a preamp into this. 
    post edited by SnyderTrigger - 2010/09/06 20:39:16

Beagle
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/09/06 21:23:41 (permalink)
    why can't you do that with the UA-20?  it has 2 inputs.

yes, a fast track ultra for $250 is a good deal - if it works 100%

and for $250 it would be a decent preamp and soundcard.  it's not the lowest latency, but you won't need super low latency unless you want to record with FX on.
    post edited by Beagle - 2010/09/06 21:25:15

SnyderTrigger
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/09/06 22:00:24 (permalink)
    Beagle

why can't you do that with the UA-20?  it has 2 inputs.

yes, a fast track ultra for $250 is a good deal - if it works 100%

and for $250 it would be a decent preamp and soundcard.  it's not the lowest latency, but you won't need super low latency unless you want to record with FX on.

Well its strange because it has a switch for mic, guitar, and line, which makes the L/R ins of the thing very unbalanced in volume. (so if I have guitar chosen, and I plugged my vox into the other IN, the vox would be extremely low in volume) It's just weird in general. It has a MIDI in/out, so maybe you're thinking of that as the second in. I don't know, its weird.
    Beagle
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/09/06 22:21:27 (permalink)
    two possibilities - one - you're using a condensor microhpone and the UA20 doesn't have phantom power.  that will cause very low input volumes for a microphone.

two - the UA20 might not have a good enough preamp for the mic you're using.  in that case the fast track ultra would be a good replacement, OR you can buy a separate preamp and then use the LINE input on the UA20 as the input for the preamp's output.

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/09/07 01:09:57 (permalink)
    Two different ways to go - all in one or buy good stuff in pieces.  If your computer and interface are ok, I'd suggest buying a few good pieces.  For $600:

I think this is the one 2003 A.  There was a discussion on Gearslut about the mic - it is supposed to be very good.  Do a search there to make sure.  Several of the mic modders were very happy w/ it - before modding.  There was some kind of special going on for less, and w/ a shock mount, bla bla.  Worth a look, tho it might have been the 603A (damn all these numbers and MXL's 500 mics).

[link=http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-2003A-Condenser-Mic?sku=621065]http://pro-audio.musician...ndenser-Mic?sku=621065
    [/link]

Pair it w/

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FOCISAONE

I found one for $400 - they were blowing them out.  Maybe not now.  It has a transformer preamp, separate DI (that you can switch the transformer into), headphone outs, inserts and an optional AD.  Almost perfect for the singer songwriter/guitarist for recording.  Another is the Golden Age Pre for $300.  I haven't used it be have only heard good things about it. 

http://www.zenproaudio.com/goldenagepre-73.aspx

If not one of those, get an interface w/ some good preamps but be prepared to buy one later.  A new condender is the Roland interface Octo whatever. There is a SONAR thread about it and Zo sez he heard (he has cakewalk contacts) that the preamps are better than the VS 700 - which were good.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Lanceindastudio
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/09/07 12:20:31 (permalink)
    Actually Beagle the fast track ultra does yield very low latency performance as Jim has mentioned. It isnt the very lowest, but it is very very low, very usable and much better than the average USB interface.

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    Beagle
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/09/07 12:30:15 (permalink)
    ah, right.  I thought he said only the 8R was the low latency one.  my bad.

Lanceindastudio
    Re:600 bucks and a desire for recording 2010/09/07 12:35:49 (permalink)
    yeah Im not a big m-audio fan usually but this unit has my attention. The OP is really grinding on making a decision so I wanted to make sure that detail was clear because I know it would GREATLY effect my decision on this purchase because I NEED low latency hehe.

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1