8x8 Velocity sensitive trigger pad

Author
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
2017/04/30 15:40:33 (permalink)

8x8 Velocity sensitive trigger pad

I'm looking for an 8x8 Velocity sensitive trigger pad along the lines of the Novation Lauchpad. The Novation mini isn't touch sensitive, and I don't need it to be anymore than just tiggerpads, it can flash if it wants, but I can't really afford a sentient one (more on an emotional level). Whats the cheapest competitor that is touch sensitive, but more basic?

I currently have this, but I don't know if I can run two at the same time.

4 Replies Related Threads

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: 8x8 Velocity sensitive trigger pad 2017/04/30 19:58:48 (permalink)
    I am not sure if you can route multiple controllers to the same VSTi (never tried this, but ideas come to mind), although there is nothing to preclude a second VSTi (clone) driven by a second controller.

Out of curiosity, how are you intending to use this? In an overdub situation, you can work 16 pads at a time, and even live you still have only 10 fingers. 16 pads (now) is still more than most real kits (if intended for drums). I am just wondering if pad choice is a more elegant solution than pad quantity.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Kamikaze
    Re: 8x8 Velocity sensitive trigger pad 2017/05/01 02:24:04 (permalink)
    If input is set to all>Omni,  you can have all your controllers set to the same VST, so in a way, it's the default. I have the Korg NanoKey,  but ants ate it, and only half the keys work. So I know I can have a NanoKey and NanoPad on the go at the same time. But The Editor programme give me the impression it would only see one of each type. I'm not sure, but the way it says show connected devices, makes it look like it could only show one of each type. This had me searching. I found users using the Nanopad for Tractor, and they were having issues with two and having to mess with things to get it to work.

For drums, each part if the kit has more different hits types assign to different keys, Ad2 has about 8 octaves worth. The Hi-hat for instance has 12 hit placements and foot positions. Not that I use all, but a hi hat line often uses at least 3-4 to create realism, but having them all available (well typically 8) helps me find the combination I'm looking for. I often focus to just two parts of the kit at the same time when I play, then add in another layer. So I a Hi-Hat run, then a snare and bass drum run. Or maybe snare and hats, get the bassline sorted and return to the bass drum later.

The bass drum is the only drum on Ad2 that have one hit, but I found that I like it assigned to two keys, so flames are easier to play. With the small pads, this is more so. I set up the pads so they are a mirror image of each for my left hand a right, so my hands don't have to too cross over. So if a snare has two of the same hits assigned to two different keys, I assign on to the right hand and one to the left. My current default pad lay out has a row of 8 hi-hat articulations, and then a row with two kicks in the middle, a snare of each type either side, a rack tom of each type either side and a floor tom of each type assigned to the outside.

So I know I would like at least 32 pads
    Cymbals row
    Toms row
    Hi hats row
    Snare and kick drum row.

As you know I am a lover of Insert Piz Mini Cords, for inputting cords from a single key, and lean towards seventh cords and Jazz Voicings. I assign a cord to say C, then the C above has an inversion, or a different voicing, and then again for the C above that. Then I repeat for each degree of the scale.

With an 8 x 8 pad, I'd assign a c to the first column, with ascending in octaves up the rows, then d, e, etc ending on c again.  This would give me 8 variations on a c cord, with just a triad, an inversion of a triad, and open voicing of a triad (dropped 2) then seventh cords, with open and closed voicings and inversions. (or maybe leave the bottom row to be an octave on single notes in the bass range, with cords above it, so I can accompany the chords with different movements in the bass.  

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: 8x8 Velocity sensitive trigger pad 2017/05/02 01:51:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for the clarification. I am not familiar with these, and searching only really turned up the Novation LaunchPad and Ableton Push for 64-pad controllers. I assume space is a consideration, so the option of a keyboard controller might be off the mark for you. There are a handful of 32-key keyboards out there, but again not "small."

For straight-up on/off, the virtual MIDI keyboard may be an option, but I have not used that other than to check it out. "If" parts repeat enough, the step sequencer may be an option to edit velocities, but I have had varying luck with using it.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Kamikaze
    Re: 8x8 Velocity sensitive trigger pad 2017/05/02 02:04:24 (permalink)
    It's not an issue with space, but a preference for the format. I prefer pads to a keyboard, especially for percussion. Not only in how you play it, but the layout is more intuitive.

I may still gamble on a second NanoPad, at least I'd have a backup. I have a few 2 months to decide, as I'm back in the UK for a visit.  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1