A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane

Author
FirmamentFX
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 250
2008/05/24 14:16:43 (permalink)

A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane

Well, I converted to Kontakt 2 years ago after 5 months of nightmar-ish Gigastudio issues, but recently I have had to reinstall it to get the editor (to export a load of samples from gig files).

So this afternoon I installed GS3, did some exporting, and as soon as I tried to copy the exported samples from my "working" sample disk to my "production" sample disk, I found myself with a BSOD and BAD_POOL_CALLER for the first time in 2 years.

Ah... memories. And to think that I once ran a live show from Gigastudio.

Thank God for Acronis Disk Director. As soon as I have done the rest of the samples, I'm snaping back to a "pre giga" image.

Cheers!

Martin

18 Replies Related Threads

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/24 16:24:08 (permalink)
    What soundcard do you use?

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    FirmamentFX
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/24 16:43:59 (permalink)
    2 yeas ago I was using a Tascam FW1804 (with GSIF2 Drivers). Now I am using an M-Audio Delta 1010.

I just restored my system disk and lo and behold I can do file operations without getting blue screens... I have to install Giga again though to finish off my conversions.

Cheers,

Martin
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/24 17:19:03 (permalink)
    I don't miss that program at all. I had 2 versions of it, the original gigasampler and then gigastudio. Complete waste of money for me, never got either working reliably. The only thing that ever really worked was the S-Convert program or whatever it was called to convert sample library formats & strip out wave files.

The Poodle Chews It.

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/24 19:30:04 (permalink)
    I still use GS3. I feel stuck with it since I can't afford to purchase anything else.

I have to reinstall it about once every 2 months because I'll load it up and it never gets past the splash screen. I have to do a "gigaclean" and then a reinstall of the main program (thank goodness I don't have to reinstall the sound libraries).

it's a complete PITB, but like I said, I feel like I'm stuck with it.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Dan DAmico
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 381
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/24 20:06:10 (permalink)
    I use GS3 all the time, without any problems.

Q6600
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4
    4GB DDR2-800 RAM
    Delta PCI Soundcards
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    Beagle
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/24 20:29:36 (permalink)
    I certainly wish I could say that!!!

keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/25 09:50:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FirmamentFX
    Well, I converted to Kontakt 2 years ago after 5 months of nightmar-ish Gigastudio issues, but recently I have had to reinstall it to get the editor (to export a load of samples from gig files).

If it's not too late to save you from the madness... Why not just import the GIG files into K2? That will certainly extract the samples for you!

You could also get a conversion program to extract specific samples -- such as Chicken System's translator, which comes an an "NI edition" -- http://www.chickensys.com/products/sw_iteminfo.php?sw_name=Translator+Special+Editions

Dan DAmico
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/25 09:57:18 (permalink)
    Do you know what is causing it to hang at the splash screen? Has it become corrupted in some way?
    I used to have some problems with Gigasampler way back with Windows 98, but GS3 on XP Pro has been solid for me. I have noticed that when I install additional plugins or make driver changes, I may have to reconfigure the software or hardware settings in GS3, but I assume that's because it isn't compatible with something.
    I use it mostly for piano and orchestral libraries, and I don't use additional plugins (other than those included with GS3) within GS3. If I need to use other plugins I record the audio to a track in Sonar and add the plugins within Sonar.
    It's also picky about which drivers load first. I don't use the rewire function, but instead do it the old way of launching GS3 first, then launching Sonar from within GS3. I just became used to that process from previous versions and it seems more solid than using it as a rewire synth.

Q6600
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4
    4GB DDR2-800 RAM
    Delta PCI Soundcards
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    FirmamentFX
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/25 11:52:08 (permalink)

If it's not too late to save you from the madness... Why not just import the GIG files into K2? That will certainly extract the samples for you!

You could also get a conversion program to extract specific samples -- such as Chicken System's translator, which comes an an "NI edition" -- http://www.chickensys.com/products/sw_iteminfo.php?sw_name=Translator+Special+Editions

I do that with odd gig files that I find I need "on the fly". The only problem with the larger libraries is that it will not export sample folders - many of my libraries have Kontakt "conversions" which require you to either a) load up the EXS samples (I never buy EXS or "multiformat" versions if I can help it), or b) export the samples with the correct folder structure for the NKI's to read without "searching" for samples.

The one (annoying) exception is the VSL horizon series. The master install disks (with the multiformat versions) are in storage in the UK (I am in France at the moment) so I am stuck with converting *all* the gig files. The Kontakt programs (and I assume the EXS ones too) reference folders like "Einzelnoten", "Phrasen" etc etc etc, which is lovely, but not in the gig folder structure.

So, *every* time I load a horizon Kontakt 2 program (I have Opus 1 and 2, Epic Horns, Concert and Overdrive Guitars, and Saxophones) I have to search for samples. Once it is in a project it is fine, but when I start a fresh one I have to do it all over again. I don't resave the programs with the new references because the obsessive compulsive in me *wants* to get the folder structure right (one day), but the VSL manuals are next to useless...

Do you know what is causing it to hang at the splash screen? Has it become corrupted in some way?

My system doesn't hang at the splash screen... I just get BSODs with BAD_POOL_CALLER whenever I try and perform a (Windows) file operation on a folder that at some point in the past has been used by Gigastudio or the Editor.

Gotta love those kernel mode drivers... Bet they weren't signed by MS

I used to be a staunch defender of GS when it was just as stable, if not slightly more so, than Kontakt. Kontakt has come on in leaps and bounds though, and with scripting negating the need for the performance tool or any of that malarky, it is the clear winner for me.

I have not gone, and am not going, down the Vienna Instrument route because part of the joy of Kontakt for me (with the exception of the player instruments) is being able to get down to sample level and fiddle around with the samples themselves.

Sorry - I didn't want this to turn into a giga-rant... If you are managing to use it with no problems, then long may it continue! Me though - on 2 separate systems (and no, there is no way than can be corrupt - they are restores of almost fresh install images!!) I have had errors.

As I said, I once used GS3 live on a show (pantomime in 2006) - trying to conduct the actors on stage with one hand whilst restarting the computer after *another* BSOD mid-show with the other is not a memory I wish to dwell on

Cheers!

Martin
    Beagle
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/25 14:06:15 (permalink)
    Sorry Martin - I think he was responding to me. I'm the one who posted I have trouble with GS3 hanging at the splash screen.

Dan - no I don't know why it does that, otherwise I'd try to resolve it instead of reinstalling every couple of months.

I end up opening GS3 before sonar as well, but even then, it's still REWIRE - you still have to insert it into the project as a REWIRE before you can use it inside sonar.

Dan DAmico
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/25 20:11:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Beagle

I end up opening GS3 before sonar as well, but even then, it's still REWIRE - you still have to insert it into the project as a REWIRE before you can use it inside sonar.

I'm not clear on what you mean. I never insert it into a project. I just route the midi data to GS3 through the Giga midi outputs in Sonar and load the GS3 channels with samples. When I want to record the output into a Sonar audio track I route it into Sonar using the Delta mixer. Are you doing it some other way?
    post edited by Dan DAmico - 2008/05/25 20:32:20

Q6600
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4
    4GB DDR2-800 RAM
    Delta PCI Soundcards
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    Beagle
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/25 20:40:29 (permalink)
    so what do you choose, exactly as your MIDI output? without inserting GS3 as REWIRE, it doesn't show up as a valid output in sonar, at least not for me. I always start GS3 up first and it starts up in Standalone mode (says so at the bottom of the screen using my GSIF soundcard). then I open Sonar. I can check the available MIDI outputs, but there is nothing listed except drum maps available. I have to insert GS3 as REWIRE before GS3 is available in Sonar as an output to sonar.

are you doing something different that I'm not?

Dan DAmico
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/25 21:43:02 (permalink)

are you doing something different that I'm not?

On my system, Gigastudio just shows up as a midi output in Sonar, even I I don't have Gigastudio launched. It's been a while since I installed all the programs, but I don't recall doing any special. When I chose my midi outputs in the Sonar midi dialog box, they were there as a choice and I selected them.

Q6600
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4
    4GB DDR2-800 RAM
    Delta PCI Soundcards
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    Beagle
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/25 22:16:30 (permalink)
    AHA! It shows up as a MIDI output in XP, but I never thought about looking in MIDI devices as an output! there it is! I'll try that and see if that doesn't give me better luck than running REWIRE! thanks!

Dan DAmico
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/25 23:54:52 (permalink)

AHA! It shows up as a MIDI output in XP, but I never thought about looking in MIDI devices as an output! there it is! I'll try that and see if that doesn't give me better luck than running REWIRE! thanks!

You're welcome. I hope that works for you.

Q6600
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4
    4GB DDR2-800 RAM
    Delta PCI Soundcards
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/27 13:15:47 (permalink)
    GS3 here on 2 different machines (dedicated ) using MidiOverLan with no problems on either.
    post edited by Steve_Karl - 2008/05/27 13:19:00

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    Beagle
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/27 13:46:43 (permalink)
    Steve - what do you use for your dedicated machine(s) (specs)? And do you have ANYTHING else on those machines except windows and GS3?

FirmamentFX
    RE: A Bad Trip Down Giga Memory Lane 2008/05/29 21:26:43 (permalink)

Sorry Martin - I think he was responding to me. I'm the one who posted I have trouble with GS3 hanging at the splash screen.

Yes - sorry I didn't see that earlier! :-)

I am very happy for people who actually have the thing working, because I think that in theory - and occasionally in practice - it is a fantastic program. I don't think GS has stayed ahead of the curve though... Kontakt and possibly even Independence have superceded it (in my view at any rate). They have both proved that there is no real tangible benefit to "kernel mode" drivers for software...

GVI was a good idea, but too little too late... If it was a freebie for already licenced users then it would have been fantastic, but I disagree with paying for an "update" that only makes a program do what it really should have done in the first place...

Happily most of my libraries are now converted to K2, and those that are not available with "native" updates I am bringing them in line with the VSL K2 programs (just editing and copying/pasting zones and then matching volumes), so my library, whilst comprised of many libraries, is reasonably "standardised" (you should hear Epic Horns with SAm Horns - 12 horns blasting out beautifully )

Cheers!

Martin
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1