A Budget Demo

Author
webbs hill studio
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 742
2012/06/26 04:53:05 (permalink)

A Budget Demo

I posted this clip not because it`s a great song or mix but because it was pretty typical of what I do here.
this band don`t expect to sell any records or even hear themselves on the radio but most band bookers and promoters I know want to see if you can cut it live before they hire you and it`s a step up from the IPhone clip.
It was meant to be live but they soundchecked at 104db in my 7m x 5m tracking room and refused to turn down so had to overdub the lead vocals.

It was mixed to the bands satisfaction (especially the guitarist!)

The other reason I think bands do these budget demos is credibility:
“hey mate,what have you been up to?:
“i`m playing in a rock band”
“yeah right”
“no,seriously dude,check this out”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohKehG3bMFo&feature=em-share_video_user

once again,i`m not happy with the mix and not looking for constructive criticism as the flaws are obvious and have a few up my sleeve I’m quite proud of but this is what you get for 500 bucks and the customer is always right,reckon they got good value and thoroughly enjoyed being rockstars for the night,even though the whole process took an hour and a half.
cheers

Solar Powered Sonar 2,5,7.2, 8.5.3 
Stealth Audio by Vin Curigliano              
Intel I7 2600 @3.8GHz ,P67A(rev3)8gb DDR3, 3x1tb WD , WIN 7 PRO 64 SP1,
Mackie Onyx 1640F, Focusrite Sapphire 6,Sapphire Liquid 56 and Octopre MK11)ART S8,4x20'Viewsonic ,Alesis M1 MKII ,Richter Dragons MK4,Shure,Rodes,Sennheiser,AKG,Fender,Gibson,Peavy,Marshall,Ampeg,Roland,Bose,,Yamaha,Rogers,Pearl,Behringer,,,,,,,,                  

4 Replies Related Threads

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:A Budget Demo 2012/06/26 05:34:45 (permalink)
    I don't know what to say. Awful song. LOL. I can imagine you sitting in the control room going "Jeeeeesus...". But hey, getting paid to do what you love... worth sitting through once in a while.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    webbs hill studio
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    Re:A Budget Demo 2012/06/26 08:43:38 (permalink)
    the thing is that it was a fun night ,in a bourbon and coke way, and i prefer to record standing up at the desk in the tracking room(this night with my Bose Quiet Comforts on over earplugs)as i love being in the room rather than a talking head in a window.it humanises me as an engineer and if it`s too loud, i`ve learnt to trust my mics,placement ,preamps and the wav shape-the sound is up to the musician and thats why i posted this and it`s where it gets subjective.
    foxwolfen:brutal but honest-it probably does sound awful to you and yes the mix makes me cringe but this was the standout song in their set,they rehearse hard,it`s their baby,they`ve nurtured it and they love it and are proud of it and only the "likes" on youtube (and their mates) will decide whether it`s good or bad-someone out there is probably right into the lo-fi,garage,thing.
    to me,peoples musical tastes are as bewildering as their sexual peccadilloes.
    i may be jaded but mostly all i hear on "indie" radio these days sounds to me like cunning pastiches of previous decades and this band reminds me of no-one so they must be unique!
    it`s a funny old game this and i`m yet to record a singing dog but would not hesitate to quote on it
    " But hey, getting paid to do what you love."
    well said, but it took years of of cheap,crappy,unreliable equipment and ignorance to get to this point and i still get a flutter when i press record even though with Sonar/Focusrite/Custom PC i`m now Bulletproof!!
    cheers

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:A Budget Demo 2012/06/26 12:24:47 (permalink)
    I'm not going to comment on the song, as it seems to be par for the course in this style.  Unique?  I don't think so, but the production isn't bad.  When the band overrides the producer/engineer, you get what you pay for.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:A Budget Demo 2012/06/27 10:46:05 (permalink)
    Egad!!!

The guitar is way too loud, bass and drums are balanced okayl but a bit muffled. More punch needed there. Even after overdubbing the vocals they still can't be heard. This song would probably sound okay if it was mixed properly.

String Jammer
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1