A Good Run: new tune

Author
MannyNY
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 732
2009/03/27 19:08:34 (permalink)

A Good Run: new tune

Just finished up a new tune called “A Good Run”. The lyric is a simple statement – for as long as I’ve been around, things have always been pretty good for me –I’ve had some problems to deal with (divorce, illness etc.) but all in all, things have worked out for me (great kids, some really good friends and a wonderful woman to keep me smiling).

I was lucky enough to have an old friend of mine play drums on this – this is the first time I have “real drums” on a tune of mine and it’s a great feeling. The drummer is the same drummer from my first band (when I was 14 years old – 45 years ago!) and that makes it really special for me (thanks Joe!). He’s in Texas (I’m in New York) but we recently got in touch – I sent him the track, he played to it and sent back the drum track –I just sync’d them up. It's a rough mix - I'll probably try to improve this as well.

The lead vocal is a bit of a disappointment– I’d hired someone to sing it but he jerked me around – it’s unbelievable that people will be so irresponsible even when they’re being paid. Oh well, so I sang it the best I could. No need to tell me the vocal is lacking – I’m well aware of that. But it was a fun tune to sing and maybe someday I’ll get back to it and fix what’s broke. The track is pretty loose but I kind of like it in this case – I was hoping to capture a bit of a casual, old time sitting around and singing thing. My friend Laura is doing the backups with me.

Click below to check it out.

A Good Run

Here are the lyrics:

A Good Run – words & music Manuel Ytuarte

It’s been a good run, better than most get.
A promise each sunrise, a comfort each sunset
It’s been a long road and I’ve walked that fine line
It’s been a good, good run.

Been dealt a fair hand, there’s little I regret
I’ve held my child close, no stronger does love get
For every dark day, then always the sun shined
It’s been a good, good run…

Bridge:
Never been a lucky one like some seventh son of a seventh son
but I‘ve had a dream or two of mine come true just like any one.
Wouldn’t trade this life of mine for another place or another time
Cause here I find, satisfied mind.

Ever the winds change and ever the tides turn
Fortune may follow or fortune may fade
Maybe my luck holds or maybe this all folds
But it’s been a good, good run

(instrumental)
Wouldn’t trade this life of mine for another place or another time
Cause here I find, satisfied mind.

It’s been a good run, mmm mmm mmm.

21 Replies Related Threads

robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/27 19:49:44 (permalink)
    Manvil the anvil! :-) You know this reminded me of the end of the movie "Walk Hard" where he wrote the greatest song of his career that summed up his life? Not the song itself per se, but the sentiment. Nice simple mix, and presentation, simplicity is the ultimate sophistication... I enjoyed this immensely!

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/27 20:35:28 (permalink)

from what you said i thought the vocals would sound pretty bad.
    or the mix lacking etc.

that is not the case. i like your vocals. the production is nice too.

there is a heart and feeling in this song. its very catchy as well.
    ive listened twice now. that should speak for itself.
    very well writen song too. give your vocals credit please
    thats a great part of the song.
    jimmy
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/27 20:42:09 (permalink)
    I can't imagine anyone else singing this now, Manny. It fit the song and who else could put the same emotion to it? Personally, I think this a great tune and mixed nicely. Way to go!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/27 21:50:06 (permalink)
    nicely done.... your voice has that gritty sound that is kinda "delta blues" in it's roots.... it fits this song nicely...very unique. You're mostly in key and on pitch...so I don't see a problem.

The song is good and nicely done.

the clapping...tamborine really bothers me.... take it out...it's a distraction......

I think this song would be much better without it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/28 07:36:59 (permalink)
    Hello Manny,

This is sounding mighty sweet. Really lovely song with a colorful soulful arrangement..(love that organ/gibson guitar blend)...That return to the minor chord is a VERY clever hook. i'm not sure how you did it but that organ/harmonica-ish break near the end was very nice. Vocals sound quite good on this end. What a great way to start my Saturday!

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/28 14:54:10 (permalink)
    Manny, you are one talented dude. I found this to be completely entertaining.

Excellent my friend.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Bert Guy
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1042
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/28 16:08:49 (permalink)
    Manny,

Very good personal song. Having your old bandmate play on a song that reflects on your life so far surely must happily close the circle.

Your voice has a mile or two on its odometer, but its plenty good, here. I really think you sing well enough to sustain an album of singer-songwriter type numbers like this one.

The song itself is good at communicating the underlying feeling, and, it fits the AABA song form you employed like a glove. I consider this form more sophisticated than the more common verse/chorous/bridge form. (I've been waiting patiently for years for a good idea for an AABA song.)

Cheers,

Bert
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=587673
    post edited by Bert Guy - 2009/03/28 16:17:19

Silence is so accurate

http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=587673

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/28 16:44:13 (permalink)
    Nice one Manny, very well written song, delivered with panache. I'm with Herb on that clap/tambourine down the centre - I reckon a just brushed snare would suit better.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/28 17:10:02 (permalink)
    WOW what a excellent production on this piece. As for your voice I wouldn't change a thing, it adds character and completes that storytelling vibe. Background harmonies sound super and sit sweet in the mix. Love the lyrics and your performance on the guitar. Great job on the drums, can't believe this is your first time mixing live percussion, nice. My only crit is the fake opening harmonica kind of kills that live vibe everything else was giving me. Although when it was accompanied with other instruments, It was the perfect fill. All in all what a SUPER sounding mix and tight performance. FANTASTIC JOB, thanks for the listen Manny

LATER
    Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

gdugan
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1118
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/28 20:44:49 (permalink)
    Manny, this is a fine piece. Great writing. Your vocal and the production as a whole are terrific.

The only crits I have are:
    1) the opening harmonica does kind of stick out
    2) The meter changes don't work for me in this tune. I think it really needs to be a straight 4, at least after the 1st chorus.

I really enjoyed this. Thanks for posting!
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/28 20:49:02 (permalink)
    This is beautiful! Great voice and love the arrangement! Nice pleasant surprise when it all kicked in there after awhile. Loved it!
    MannyNY
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/29 12:01:07 (permalink)
    Hey, a bundle of positive feedback (or a prime example of collective-consciousness-sarcasm?)! I’d expected to get tossed into the shredder but I seem to have come away unscathed. Thanks to all that listened and commented

Robby – thanks for checking it out and the kind words – Walk Hard, hmmm haven’t seen that movie but my gut feeling is that it’s got to hurt. Yeah, this is a bit on the sentimental side for me – don’t usually do that first person perspective thing – maybe I’m just getting old. Well, that’s not really a maybe is it? “Manvil the anvil” – I never tire of hearing that.

Jimmy – thanks (twice) – I don’t believe in an afterlife but if I could be reincarnated and come back with a real singing voice I’m sure I’d be a better person. And even if I was a bad person, I’d sing really well while doing bad things.

EDP – many thanks for listening, taking the time to comment and the positive feedback.

GH – thanks for tuning in. I think the drum kit (a stereo mix which included the tambourine) was too loud and a distraction just as you said. I toned it down but didn’t remove it – I like it, but it was a bit much – I didn’t have control over the individual drum tracks. I’m still trying to sort that out. I appreciate the constructive crit!

Rick – now that’s a real nice compliment “great way to start my Saturday” – Much appreciated.

Mark – thanks – notice how my guitar work is buried in the mix? I wonder why? If I could play like you, it wouldn’t be buried. If anyone finds this cryptic, listen to Mark’s Sweet Blues - great sounding guitars (the bass sounds wonderful also).

Bert
    – many miles on everything I’ve got. Hopefully a few miles left, but if not, well at least I finished this damned song. Thanks.

James – thanks – yeah, there are a few choices that don’t seem to be to everyone’s liking – you should have heard it before I took Guitar Hacker’s advice - sounded like a tambourine solo.

Kev – the fake harmonica – yep, not quite convincing but I guess I’m just so used to having that sound in my tunes I don’t even notice it much anymore. However, a guy posted a week or so ago – a harmonica player (I actually bought his CD after listening to a few tracks) – now if I could only get that sound, I’d quit my day job.

Gary – thanks – again the harmonica – ouch! As far as the timing I do like it like this but again input is always appreciated and thanks for taking the time give me some feed back.

Mama Bear – muchas gracias. In much the same way that my guitars are mixed low – the piano is barely audible and for good reason. Where were you when I needed you? I’m teasing of course.

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/29 12:04:05 (permalink)
    Manny - All I can say is that this worked for me man! My only nit is I think the claps may be a bit loud or use something different. No big deal. Your voice fits this well. I wish I had it! Good lyrics and a good song. Nice touches with the various instrumentations too.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    ed_mcg
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/29 13:43:33 (permalink)
    This is a great tune, Manny. Your vocals are perfect for it. There are couple things that folks noted, the harmonica, etc. But, it's the song that matters here.
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/29 16:09:33 (permalink)
    Hey Manny, I loved this song. You've got a real good voice, too. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing and I certainly wouldn't be paying other people to sing if I had a voice like yours. Waddaya doin' in New York tho? You sound (and look) like you belong in Nashville. I mean that in a good way:)

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/29 16:53:44 (permalink)
    WOW!! This production is amazing. I would kill to get my tracks sounding as good as this, great work. I would normally run a mile from this style of music, but i was mesmerised by this. Your vocals are very unique and sound as if they were made for this song. The guitars are stunning in tone and the way you played them. I was'nt bothered by the claps, i liked them, but i would lower them about twenty five percent so they don't dominate. Excellent work all round.
    drumstixkev
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/29 17:11:42 (permalink)
    Hey Manny,
    Back for a second listen. This has to be one of my favorite tunes on the forum. Just a FANTASTIC song and mix.

LATER
    Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

MannyNY
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/30 07:41:14 (permalink)

Larry – thanks so much. Production, hmm, yes not quite what it could be – I could take a lesson from you two, but I am after all, an old dog.

ED – the feedback is much appreciated and thanks for checking it out.

GR – thank for the thumbs up. I’m not sure what I’m doing in NY other than putting my last child through college. After that, I’m heading west. I grew up on Marty Robbins, Frankie Lane and fell in love with western movies themes. Can’t seem to shake those roots.

Kev Thanks, thanks. I’ve had about 11 listens to ME (of yours) – maybe that’s your trick, keep it so short that people loop it on their player (that’s what I did).

Blipp

I just realized that you’re teasing me (“your production is amazing”) – I went to your site – your production sounds are perfect – as clear and balanced as one could want. I am going to make a few changes once my friend sends the separate drum tracks. Thanks!
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/30 07:45:53 (permalink)
    Manny,

I think you are being too hard on yourself for the vocals. I like them quite a bit. They have the feel I think you are trying to express in this song. The mix sounds great. I would like to hear a bit more bass guitar if one is there. Beyond that, well-written and well-mixed song. I enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing,
    Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    MannyNY
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/30 08:15:58 (permalink)
    Thanks Tom, I mean it. Vocals should be effortless (or at least sound that way) of the 16 tunes I’ve posted I have others singing on all but two – I prefer this approach. I know that “I can get away with it” sort of vocal, but I enjoy the song more if I have relinquished the singing/storytelling to someone more capable – I will replace my vocal eventually, I just need to find the right person. And yes, both bass and drums will be worked on this week.
    Thanks again.
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: A Good Run: new tune 2009/03/31 08:38:11 (permalink)
    great job....love this tune! very well put together and all the great song elements are here....love the 7th song 7th song line!!

Manny this is a 5 star!!

Congrat!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1