Helpful ReplyA History Lesson

Author
DW_Mike
Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6907
2010/09/16 17:06:33 (permalink)

A History Lesson

[font="arial; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-size: 16px; border-collapse: collapse; "][font="arial; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-size: 16px; border-collapse: collapse; "]

Mike?
post edited by chefmike8888 - 2010/09/16 17:07:41

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
DW_Mike
Re:A History Lesson 2010/09/16 17:08:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Stupid forum software.

Mike?

GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
DW_Mike
Re:A History Lesson 2010/09/16 17:09:15 (permalink)
Quite fascinating...history is

You probably know all of these.  I think this is fun.  Enjoy!

An oldie that you may not have received before....

There is an old hotel/pub in Marble Arch,  London which used to have
 gallows adjacent. Prisoners were taken to the  gallows (after a fair trial of course) to be hanged. The horse drawn dray, carting the prisoner was accompanied by an armed guard, who would stop  the dray outside the pub and ask the prisoner if he would like ''one last drink." If he said yes, it was referred to as "one for the road."  If he  declined, that prisoner was "on the wagon." 
So there you go.

More  history:
 They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families
 used to all  pee in a pot & then once a day it was taken & sold to the tannery. If you had to do this to survive you were "piss poor." But worse than that were the really poor folk who couldn't even afford to buy a pot. They "didn't have a pot to piss in" and were the lowest of the low.

More history:

The next  time you are washing your hands and complain

because the water temperature  isn't just how you like it,
think about how things used to be. Here are  some facts about the 1500s:
Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and they still smelled pretty good by June.  However, since they were starting to smell, brides carried a bouquet of  flowers to hide the body odor. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet  when getting married.

More history:
Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot  water.
 The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water,  then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children. Last  of all were the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it. Hence the saying, "don't throw the
baby out with the bath water!"

More history:
Houses had thatched roofs, thick straw piled high, with no wood

underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the
cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it
rained it  became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof. Hence the saying "it's raining cats and dogs.."  
There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed.  Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some  protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence. 

More history:
The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt.

Hence the saying, "dirt poor." The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the  winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to help keep their  footing. As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened  the door, it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in  the entrance way. Hence: a thresh hold.

(Getting quite an education, aren't you?)

More history:
In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a  big
 kettle that always hung over the fire. Every day they lit the fire  and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme: ''Peas porridge  hot, peas porridge cold, pea porridge in the pot nine days old''.  
Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made
 them feel quite special. When  visitors came over, they would hang up their
bacon to show off. It was a sign  of wealth that a man could "bring home the bacon." They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around talking and ''chew the  fat."
More history: 
Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high  acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing  lead  poisoning and death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next  400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.    
More history:
Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got  the
 middle, and guests got the top, or ''the upper crust."

More history:
Lead  cups were used to drink ale or whiskey. The combination would
 sometimes knock  the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would  take them for dead and prepare them for burial. They were laid out on the  kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat  and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of  ''holding a wake."

More history:
England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places
 to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening  these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the  inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through  the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the grave yard all night
(the grave yard shift.) to listen for the bell; thus,   someone could be ''saved by the bell'' or was considered a ''dead  ringer.''

And that's the truth...Now, whoever said history was boring. 

GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re:A History Lesson 2010/09/16 17:10:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpful

woW

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

DW_Mike
Re:A History Lesson 2010/09/16 17:15:21 (permalink)
chefmike8888

[font="arial; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-size: 16px; border-collapse: collapse; "][font="arial; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; font-size: 16px; border-collapse: collapse; "]

Mike?

You can say that again.

Mike?

GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
SteveStrummerUK
Re:A History Lesson 2010/09/16 17:17:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpful

He he - sorry Mike, the 'wow' was in response to your forum software sucks thang

Just read the history though - excellent stuff

Do you know where we get 'Rule Of Thumb' from?

DW_Mike
Re:A History Lesson 2010/09/16 17:21:03 (permalink)
I remember hearing that one before but cant recall the story.

Do tell.

Mike?

GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
SteveStrummerUK
Re:A History Lesson 2010/09/16 17:26:20 (permalink)

I'm reliably informed that in ye merrie days of olde Englande you weren't permitted by law to beat your wife with a stick which was wider than your thumb.

Spoilsports     <<ducks>>

UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re:A History Lesson 2010/09/16 17:35:51 (permalink)
Thanks for the lesson.  I feel smarterer and wiserer already. 

I may just use my newly discovered intelligence for some nobel purpose.  I think I'll help Dr. Hawking work through some of his theories.  I'll need to work quickly, though, before this mental enhancement slips beyond the grip of my short term memory.

What were we talking about?
DW_Mike
Re:A History Lesson 2010/09/16 17:58:08 (permalink)
you weren't permitted by law to beat your wife

Ahh ok.
Was it wife or children?

@ Bubba: You're welcome. I like to be helpful when I can.

Mike? 

GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:A History Lesson 2010/09/16 18:24:12 (permalink)
The real insanity of history is quite a scary thing. Especially on a "local" level. You must remember though that many familys learned and built the better way and improved it and were never included in history. The silent majority.

Craig DuBuc
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re:A History Lesson 2010/09/16 21:02:27 (permalink)
Crg

The real insanity of history is quite a scary thing. Especially on a "local" level. You must remember though that many familys learned and built the better way and improved it and were never included in history. The silent majority.

The origin of "The silent majority" according to Wiki:

The phrase had been in use for much of the 19th century to refer to the dead—the number of living people is less than the number who have died. Phrases such as "gone to a better world", "gone before", and "joined the silent majority" served as euphemisms for "he died".

Of course it was later made famous by Richard Nixon, but he didn't mean dead people.

Luckily, I'm still in the minority.

Janet
  • Total Posts : 8094
Re:A History Lesson 2010/09/16 21:29:25 (permalink)
Almost the interestingest thing I've read for a few days. Thanks!  :-)
Moshkiae
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6111
Re:A History Lesson 2010/09/16 22:19:37 (permalink)
Hi,

Now that you have read that, you really ought to go back and read some Shakespeare and then read Restoration theater ... where a lot of these things are mentioned in the dialogue as "wit" and "jokes" in conversations.

Very little of Shakespeare and Restoration Theater is actually described as "filler" and many an insult and jokes are centered around many of these bits and pieces. The problem is, of course, that we think of those words with our own minds in this time, and thus a lot of jokes do not make much sense today, but would then!

Tom Stoppard is pretty much the big scholar in this area and he has used much of his cleverness in several of his plays, and of course, the best one is not quite "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" but the one that won a few more Oscars and was called "Shakespeare in Love".

The bath/water thing was much more so for the lower classes than it was for the upper classes, who had a lot more of the luxurious benefits than most people.

One other example that is neat, was actually in the story of Medea, going back to Greek times and Sophocles. The messenger states that the dress was poisoned and that it killed Glauce and eventually Creon ... and that is not necessary and could/should have been understood that a "story" was fabricated so they would prevent some truths from getting on and about. And a "messenger" would be a low class person that would get paid pretty good to say anything that he/she was told, depending on their master and so on.

So, here is the catch ... in those brick castles and buildings, tapestries were hung in the walls to absorb the moisture, and help make the place a bit warmer. All heating was done by candles and oil, many of which usually stood on various metal or brick objects and were often away from the reach of the children so there would be less danger of problems. However, since some of these at night would be on top of a metal stand about anywhere from 2 to 3 or 4 feet tall, the chances of getting one of these turned over and then having a big fire ... could be an issue. So, the story goes by me, since I wrote that poetry play, that Glauce was trying her new dress sent by Medea and that while she whirled around with her beautiful new dress, she knocked over one of these lit lamps ... and since there are carpets all over to keep the place warm ... voommm ... the whole place is on fire and she is burned up and Creon also succumbs trying to save her.

In a way ... there is a lot of history ... that we simply don't look at as if it were real to them ... we look at it as if it was today ... and believe what was said regardless of time and place. And what/how it was said and used was very different from today with heating being a normal function in most places and not as big a peril as it was then.

History is excellent ... and the same thing goes for a lot of music, with the exception that we tend to look at yesterday's music as just music and it not having any depth or concern related to the time and place ... most of which is not true 40 years ago except for pop music and most top ten and top of the pops!
post edited by Moshkiae - 2010/09/16 22:22:00

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:A History Lesson 2010/09/17 01:14:54 (permalink)
Mike?

Great history lesson.

Bapu would have doled it out in pieces. Hence boosting his post count considerably (even though he cares not, bless his heart).

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:A History Lesson 2010/09/17 01:18:59 (permalink)
Janet

Almost the interestingest thing I've read for a few days. Thanks!  :-)

Except for THIS?
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1