A Hymn I recorded last night, " Holy Holy Holy"

Author
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
2011/04/28 14:11:39 (permalink)

A Hymn I recorded last night, " Holy Holy Holy"

I have not really recorded this type of song for awhile. Yesterday I decided to go back to some of my roots and record this.

Holy Holy Holy

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

9 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:A Hymn I recorded last night, " Holy Holy Holy" 2011/04/28 21:31:42 (permalink)
    For a minute I thought I had opened two version of the song....playing at different times.... but.... no.

So that makes it some timing issues. This is evident in the first 10 seconds or so.  The reverb is way too heavy..... sounds like a cathedral.

I like your voice, but the rest of it needs a redo...... if it's redone properly......

Just my opinion.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:A Hymn I recorded last night, " Holy Holy Holy" 2011/04/29 04:15:59 (permalink)
    Hi, Tim,

Very nice job on this beautiful hymn!

Excellent playing and arrangement, and your vocals and harmonies really sound fantastic. I also hear the minor timing anomalies that Herb mentioned, but they are mostly noticeable during the intro, and can be easily fixed with a nudge or two, here and there.

Really great work!
    Bob
    Guitarhacker
    Re:A Hymn I recorded last night, " Holy Holy Holy" 2011/04/29 08:35:28 (permalink)
    Tim.... I didn't mean to come off sounding brash..... sorry if I did... when I read this again this morning, I realized it might seem that way.

Quite often I will record and release something that really needs more work..... before I actually put the required work into it to finish it correctly..... and the guys and gals here let me know it. I'm anxious to let the world hear it, so I rush it out and the flaws show.

So in this same way, there are things here that are very good, and some things that are not quite so.  Drag it back to the studio and work on those issues.

The timing can be fixed easily with split/split/nudge  or midi editing if it's midi.
    There are chord/note conflicts (to my ears) in a few places, again, an easy fix..... envelope the dissonant note/chord out.....or not.
    The reverb does sound cathedral-ish and I think detracts from the intimacy of the song. I would remove it and start with a shorter....smaller room reverb and just use enough to give it some space and depth.

This is a great song of the faith, as our music minister at the church likes to say..... so go ahead, spend the time to get it right, and you will have a masterpiece in your list of credits.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/04/29 08:36:36

BMI/NSAI

Starise
    Re:A Hymn I recorded last night, " Holy Holy Holy" 2011/04/29 11:19:16 (permalink)
     Hey thanks guys. I have pretty thick skin and I rather expected to have some critique when I came here so never any offense taken at all!

I recorded this(and just about everything else I do) in about three or four hours and then I ran out of time.  So I haven't really invested much into it yet......... I did add the reverb to cover up some less than perfect harmonies.I added a long perfect space plate. Timing has always been one of my main issues. In this instance I played the piano improve style and attempted to add more structure to it ...It almost worked....I should have time corrected the improv first.

I am noticing that most folks with a more critical ear do not really like reverb . Its like ketchup....some people like a lot of it and others prefer either little or none. The more we use it the more we are aware of the fact that the sound is processed. To the non-enginneer it might be more acceptable because it sounds real to them.

Thanks guys and I hope to keep listening to those tracks you post!

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

Guitarhacker
    Re:A Hymn I recorded last night, " Holy Holy Holy" 2011/04/29 20:26:00 (permalink)
    Oh man....I'm glad to hear you have a thick skin.... many do not.

I happen to love reverb, but it is probably one of the most misused FX there is. And using it to cover a bad performance or other issues is very common. Problem is, it doesn't work.

Fix the problems and them use a very little bit of reverb.

On a voice.... my rule of thumb is to bring the verb in to the point where you can hear it, then back it off until you can't..... that is usually the right amount.... just a starting point/rule of thumb sort of thing.

If you happen then to add an overall reverb to the master buss, that reverb will add to the slight verb you have in the tracks..... so what was almost undetectable becomes obvious.... so it's a case of dial it back and play with the levels until it's right...again.

If it sounds like you're in a cave or a cathedral, it's probably too much. On the other hand, obvious reverb can be used as an effect on some instruments very well. I like a noticeable verb on my guitar..... with a hint of slap-back as well.

BMI/NSAI

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:A Hymn I recorded last night, " Holy Holy Holy" 2011/04/30 17:08:10 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Oh man....I'm glad to hear you have a thick skin.... many do not.

I happen to love reverb, but it is probably one of the most misused FX there is. And using it to cover a bad performance or other issues is very common. Problem is, it doesn't work.

Fix the problems and them use a very little bit of reverb.

On a voice.... my rule of thumb is to bring the verb in to the point where you can hear it, then back it off until you can't..... that is usually the right amount.... just a starting point/rule of thumb sort of thing.

If you happen then to add an overall reverb to the master buss, that reverb will add to the slight verb you have in the tracks..... so what was almost undetectable becomes obvious.... so it's a case of dial it back and play with the levels until it's right...again.

If it sounds like you're in a cave or a cathedral, it's probably too much. On the other hand, obvious reverb can be used as an effect on some instruments very well. I like a noticeable verb on my guitar..... with a hint of slap-back as well.

+1!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:A Hymn I recorded last night, " Holy Holy Holy" 2011/05/02 21:41:16 (permalink)
    Very nice piano playing. :)  I agree with backing off the reverb...You have a nice voice but it's a bit hard to hear this way. 
    Starise
    Re:A Hymn I recorded last night, " Holy Holy Holy" 2011/05/02 22:19:51 (permalink)
     Thanks Janet.........I tried to remove the reverb and correct the timing but my project for some reason didn't save correctly. This song is dead. Maybe later I'll get the chance to redo it.

Twitter @Rodein

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:A Hymn I recorded last night, " Holy Holy Holy" 2011/05/02 22:37:45 (permalink)
    A fav hymn of mine.  You've given this great heart and judiciously 'verbed back the lead into the mix.  That is perfect for me ... since Holy Holy Holy is a reverberant theme on High and any upfrontness would feel feigned, proud, Vinyard-esque, and CCM-oid to my heart.  IMHO!

My ears detect that the instruments need some slight EQ pruning around the heavy 640 hz and/or 1.2kHz range.  Other than that ... this is awesome for my ears.
    post edited by Philip - 2011/05/02 22:39:11

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1