A Little help from my friends

Author
Athos
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 62
2005/06/09 10:06:51 (permalink)

A Little help from my friends

Hi Guys,
I am working on a blues cover for a local blues player that died recently.. but don't have a drum loop for it, I search the forum for free drum links but wasn't able to find anything that I could use... I need a 4/4 and something at tempo 60 or 50.. I tried using a rock loop but if I reduce the tempo to 50 or 60, It sounds awfull

If anyone knows of a link for a couple of free blues drum loops or if you have any and want to give me one.. I will be sooooo happy

Another thing.. I have a SG and thinking of change the strings to .010 ( .009 currently ). I read somewhere that I should take the guitar to a luthier to do so, since it has to be readjusted because of the increase of strain.. should I? I mean, it's not like I'm replacing .009 with .013 but dont know..

" It doesn't matter on which set up you are playing, your sound is your brain and your fingers" - Eddie Van Halen

9 Replies Related Threads

mikeitup
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: A Little help from my friends 2005/06/10 04:09:12 (permalink)
    I have alternated between 9's and 10's for years w/out taking my geetar to a luthier. Maybe I have been lucky.
    About your pickup. Have you thought of just getting a replacement pickup and coil tap switch?
    I can recommend Kent Armstrong pickups. They are not expensive (1/2 the price of a SD/DM) and sound DAMNED good.

I will have a look at me loops and let you know.

mike

"Far too widdly that is"
    Athos
    RE: A Little help from my friends 2005/06/10 10:04:42 (permalink)
    Hi Mike! Thanks for answering.. yes, I talked with a luthier I know and he told me that there is no need if I'm changing to .010.. but If I plan to use thicker ones, I should go to see him..

About the pick up, I have already replaced my bridge mic.. It's a Dimarzio that has the possibility to switch to single coil.. .I think I will do that, as you said, replace the know with anotherone with a coil switch

Let me know if you find any loops.. Thanks a lot!

" It doesn't matter on which set up you are playing, your sound is your brain and your fingers" - Eddie Van Halen
    Cheesehead
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: A Little help from my friends 2005/06/10 10:29:59 (permalink)
    Athos:

Funny, I asked the guy I bought my guitar from exactly the same question two days ago and he recommended I bring it in to be adjusted. He did have concerns with tension. I have a Strat though and he wanted to tighten down the bridge because of the whammy.

I'd also be interested in blues drum loops...
    post edited by Cheesehead - 2005/06/10 10:32:50
    Athos
    RE: A Little help from my friends 2005/06/10 13:27:43 (permalink)
    Hi Cheesehead.. well actually, it's always better to have it checked, that is what he told me.. but if I was planing to keep on tuning at A=440 there was no need, mainly because my SG does not have tremolo bar.. is that what you mean by Whammy? cause if your strat has tremolo, you definitely should have it checked before going to .010 .. just in case

voice
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: A Little help from my friends 2005/06/11 23:33:15 (permalink)
    Best loops around are Beta Monkeys. You can't go wrong on them. They have some free ones on their site, but not top quality, but you might be able to find something you like. But buy the 3 cd special, if you can, you get to pick what 3 you want, and delivery was super fast.

When all is gone, one voice will come forth.
    DanoInTexas
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: A Little help from my friends 2005/06/12 10:32:28 (permalink)
    You probably don't have to re-adjust the neck just for that. The only need to do that is if you have a high dollar tremolo.

Pickups are a personal choice and they all sound a little different on different guitars. Type of strings used are another factor in pickup selection. Lots of variations available, and the combinations are practally endless.(lots of fun in trying though)

I use a Zoom MRT-3 Drum machine for loops. It has about 400 loops built in and also has pressure sensitive pads to add your own fills or play your own drums if you want. It has different drum kits so your drums don't all sound the same. And it is programmable if you want to create your own loops. $99 US if you are interested.

Trying to help,
    Dano
    Athos
    RE: A Little help from my friends 2005/06/12 15:14:57 (permalink)
    Hey Voice! Yep, I've heard a lot of beta monkeys.. the problem is that I live in Argentina, south america.. could not find them here.. do you know if they ship it to any country? that would be great..

Dano, yes, that drum machine sounds really good.. the problem is that here 99 dollars it's like 300 dolars to you.. just to get an idea.. and the main problem is that I ve spent too much already on a new guitar + amp ehhehe but I will consider it for the future..

Do you know if there is like a software drum machine? maybe cheaper?

Thanks for posting!

redderman
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: A Little help from my friends 2005/06/12 15:29:53 (permalink)
    yeah, beta music monkey they ship anywhere
    Athos
    RE: A Little help from my friends 2005/06/13 10:16:40 (permalink)
    Great, will consider that..

Yesterday, a friend lend me a software called "fruitty loops drum machine"... was late at night so all I did was installing and after opening for 1 minute.. find myself saying WOW I will never learn to use all these buttons

Does anybody know it? is it that hard?
    If so, will think of ordering those crazy monkey loops

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1