A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir (Updated 5/28/11)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2011/05/25 19:25:02 (permalink)

A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir (Updated 5/28/11)

Martin Luther
1528 AD

A Battle Hymn based on Psalm 46: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10243383

3 producers:

Reece: BeagleSounds: Main vocals, vocal pomp, groove sketches, timpani, bells
Clifford: TruckerMusic: Hip-hop groove, arrangement, chord and melody counters
Philip: That Heavenly Choir: Host producer, Backing vocs, guitars, instruments,

Please crit!

Note: While many baroque elements 'modernized', we tried to keep it short, pop, and true to the widest target audience. 

Hopefully, you can share a suggestion.  Thank you.
post edited by Philip - 2011/05/28 13:04:35

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501

42 Replies Related Threads

ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/25 20:26:23 (permalink)
     Great job youz 3, lovin' it!  I like the Hip Hop Classical blend. Great job on Vox Beag

Me

twisted6s
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2001
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/25 20:28:52 (permalink)
    Quite an inventive mixture of genres Philip, Bravo

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
    https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/25 20:29:54 (permalink)
    I was raised a Lutheran and for obvious reasons this has always been the Lutheran theme song. I've heard this song performed in many styles, but never like this. I'm not quite sure if Martin is rolling over in his grave at this very moment, or just grinning from ear to ear (Probably the later).

What a masterful production. It's really nice to hear Reece performing a bit outside of his comfort zone, and comfortably I'll add. I really enjoyed the well performed timpani and bells.
    Cliff brought quite an interesting groove to this arrangement and Phillip did a great job of instrumentation and production.

A fine production by all. Thanks for sharing.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/25 20:36:34 (permalink)
    Now that's COOL!  :)
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/25 20:39:54 (permalink)
    WOW, very original! A fantasic sounding mix on my end. Reece and the kids did a wonderful job on the vocals. GREAT colab/production/ performance by all. KUDOS gents!

Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/25 22:32:10 (permalink)
    Grant - thanks so much for the kind words!  This song went thru a lot of different iterations before we finally settled on this version, but I think we certainly captured the mixed bag of tricks to throw ol Luther into a head spin!  thanks again for the listen and comments!

Tony - thanks for the listen and kind words!  we truly appreciate it!

James - I'm sure Luther would agree that times are different now!  He might not recogize the song at first, but he might enjoy it once it grew on him! thanks for the listen and the kinds words!  we appreciate it very much!

Janet - I told ya!    thanks!!!!

Kev - thanks so much for the listen and the great comments!  I originally did the vox very dry and "stiff" but I made Philip wait on me for several weeks until I had time to do them "right."  I'm sure someone can pick out problems here and there but I think this version of the vox turned out very "emotive" and full of life for this very different mixed bag of genres!

thanks again everyone!  we all appreciate the great comments!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/26 07:58:58 (permalink)
    Too everyone who has replyed already

Thank you.

I was humbled to be asked to work with both Philip and Reece. I really enjoyed my experience here.
    I do want to say thank you to the both of them for letting me put my 2 cents in. They did the bulk of the work here.... I just went along for the ride.....

It was very difficult to put this groove together because I wanted to go somewhere contemporary but still be respectful to the original intentions by Luther. Not really sure if I got there but that was my intention anyway.

To everyone else who has or will respond with critiques, criticism or other insight into this....Thank you.

Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/26 08:40:20 (permalink)
    Phew....where do you start? the market for modernised traditional hymns may be tiny, or may be a bestseller - whatever, you are at the forefront!

Great imagination with this, Cliff, somehow the pop beats work within the hymn framework. Reece, very well sung, actually your voice is quite similar to Philip's, though i'm sure he would agree you have a little more polish!
    Philip, great production, everything is clear and well placed. your signature child voices and panning guitar lines are all there. whilst not my favourite from the Heavenly Choir ( i will always be a sucker for your truly off the wall moments), this is a massive hit! well done gentlemen!!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/26 11:20:16 (permalink)
    Hi Philip, just when you think you've heard it all . Is it my imagination or is that rap vocalist saying "Burg " as in Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott ? Anyway hats of to all participants.

Greetings, Rik
    post edited by morenoise - 2011/05/26 11:40:51
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/26 12:36:57 (permalink)
     Very eclectic....... a lot of hymns are being rewritten/modernized and in a great number of them some part of the melody from the main hymn was changed. Still recognizable though.

I this song you all managed to keep the melody 100% and add new elements to it. The mix was clean and well done Reese!

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Philip
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/26 13:17:24 (permalink)
    MGH: I couldn't agree with you more.  I tried vox-ing this after some 'conflicts of interest' but Reece's "polish" spun circles around mine, -- ha ha!  There are phase issues with Reece's vox because of the choir and Reece's backing samples.  And the guitars are obscenely loud in places.
    So we aimed for pop, listenability, Luther's struggles with devils, etc., and lost a lot of 'personal vibe power' in the process.

This is my 2nd and last hymn for awhile.  Extreme bias by 3 producers toying with Luther's devils has left me exhausted and amazed.  Then came the suicides, loss of loved ones, uncanny tornadoes, sicknesses, and persecutions upon us (I think I can speak for the 3 of us).  Some songs are holy ground and I seriously hope we didn't offend anyone with our joyful noise.

Clifford actually saved/stole the show here as I hoped for a patient groove meister to build a foundation for my chord progressions and counter-rhythms

Unfortunately, His DAW broke down just after he finished the 'perfect groove'.

Fortunately, I have that groove as a perfect re-listenable treasure, hopefully for years to come. -- ha ha!

Morenoise: Thanks so much for your listen.  There are all kinds of eclectic smears, like the "Burg" you mentioned: that screw'd voc at the intro would be me; there are many other eclectics that got weeded out by 'us'.

Starise: Thanks so much for your most excellent perceptions and crit.  Being true to 3 producers and the 'spirit' of Luther is daunting and difficult.  My modernizations were of course, overly-Philip-esque and quirky.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/26 13:25:39 (permalink)
    Wow, what a marvelous mash up of genres, and very well performed all the way round.  Congratulations on tackling a really tough project in a different and imaginative way, and making it all work.  Great job, guys!
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/26 13:41:20 (permalink)
    This is excellent... I'd would like to hear more low end..
    well done all...

Truckermusic
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/26 13:51:25 (permalink)
    MGH
    thanks for that....It is so different to try and crete beats for an already time honored musical work as opposed to just slapping your own beat together and moving on...I was a bit un-nerved at first......

what helped was that Reece already had a great scratch vocal layed down and Philip already had a harmonic game plan.....I just worked around that,

Reece did a bang up job on retracking the vox  and Philp did a supeer job at shouldering the production work.

I must say that I really respect both Philip and Reece for all their input and dedication at making this all work as one . Like I said... I just tried to keep up.

Clifford
    post edited by Truckermusic - 2011/05/26 15:04:53

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Beagle
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/26 22:48:43 (permalink)
    Mark - thanks very much for your comments!  I echo what Cliford says above.  I have great respect for him and Philip on this production.  there were times we were not seeing eye to eye but that's because we're all perfectionists in our own right.  but we finally got it in and Philip did a great job on the mixing, too, IMO.  Clifford's groove track was outstanding and really glued the song together.  before that it was just putty!

Rik - nein.    thanks for the listen!  I truly appreciate it!

Tim - thanks for the listen and great comments! 

Phil - yep, this was actually not as easy as one might think for just re-working an old hymn!! 

Frank - thanks so much for the listen and comments!  I'm sure Philip will take your comments in consideration when he works on the mix based on yours and others' comments in this thread!

I appreciate you all!  thanks again!

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/26 23:16:33 (permalink)
    That sounds great!  There is a lot happening and every instrument / sound seems to have it's own space.  Everything is so crisp and the panning is very well thought out.  Very imaginative and original.  Nice job!
    Beagle
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/28 09:46:44 (permalink)
    Thanks Geno!  we really appreciate the listen and the great comments!

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/28 09:58:21 (permalink)
    Nice Job guys mix sounds fine here.

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/28 10:29:53 (permalink)
    Well that was quite unlike anything I've ever heard...

Sounds like everyone had a lot of fun with this, and the mix sounds fine to me. Not my cuppa musical tea really, but the performances and creativity are to be applauded!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/28 10:39:01 (permalink)

Very nice job to all of you! I rather enjoyed that.

Nobody has mentioned this...Am I the only one with a childhood memory of the classic, animated adventure? I used to watch it every Sunday morning before rushing out the door to Sunday school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUrQfzZrqFA&feature=related

Pete

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    Philip
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/28 13:11:26 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for listening/commenting, James, Peter, and Wookie,

I certainly appreciate this not being everyone's cup ... tho this has become a fav of mine (due to the lyrical message and the 3 producers).  Its a learning experience to be sure.

Peter, I looked up your url and was blown away ... tho I don't remember this animated series.

---------------------------------
    Thanks Guitartrek and Reece,

Corrections (per NotNat, etc.)

-- Enveloped, increased and muted (8-bar phrases) of low end levels (specifically Clifford's rapture-synth-bass) ... to allow incremental pomp and rests for Luther's Reece's strategic emotives.

-- Decreased vox phasiness by mono-phying, decreasing delay/verbs on Caleb and Reece's backing.

-- Incr (plate) Significant reverb on counter-groans and Philip's LesPaul 'roarings', to allow more timbre on the main vocal.
    post edited by Philip - 2011/05/28 13:13:32

Philip  

Truckermusic
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/28 16:16:41 (permalink)
    To everyone who has commented, listened and left us some notes. I will not belabor what Reece and Philip are saying (because they say it so much better than I)

so i will just say thank you very much.

Clifford

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/28 18:16:15 (permalink)
    I never would have imagined such a combo of styles. This is crazy good!

String Jammer
    Philip
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/28 21:29:00 (permalink)
    Thanks String Jammer,

Your statement weighs quite heavily for these 3 producers, each at wits end trying to redeem the other, each sacrificing their egos to 'come together' as one.

I can't imagine the heart-aches that Danny Danzi has gone through, trying to weld musicians and producers together into one hopeful production and learning every painstaking detail while holistically making it one.

Philip  

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/28 22:07:40 (permalink)
    Nice job fellas.  Excellent production.  Geez Reece, everytime I hear you sing it's better than the time before.  Steroids?

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Beagle
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/29 07:32:57 (permalink)
    John - aoacrawhorc coo schuoaac wwoorc aoacwo anahcaowowh rawhwa aoacwo oaooscscwowhaoc, scro wwrcahwowhwa!

James - yep - very much unlike what most people have ever heard!  it started out with just Philip approaching me of doing this or another song - no preconceived ideas about it.  it evolved into this over many iterations and a little difficulty between 3 very strong opinionated people!  but that's just the way it is with "musicians" roight?    Thanks for the listen and the great comments!!!

Mr. Rabbit!  how are you sir?  thanks so much for the listen and the great comments!  Yes, I remember Davey and Goliath!!!  I used to watch them every Saturday morning on Mrs. Marsha!

Scotty - yes, very odd combination here!  that's really what we were going for in the end, a version which combined a lot of eclectic and traditional!  thanks for the great comments!

Mark - thanks so much for the listen and the kind words!  Man, you've made my day!!!    - not steroids - just voice lessons!  thanks so much!!!

Beagle
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/29 07:34:43 (permalink)
    OH - and Philip is exactly right, we did have several moments of discussion and sacrifice each on our own parts, but it came together in the end and I think we can be proud of the final result!  thanks Philip and Clifford!  this was a journey with a great ending!

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/30 16:02:38 (permalink)
    I think I can say that you guys crossed the line in a lot of ways (all good).  I don't know how you came up with this idea but it is unique in every way.  Really great work by all. 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:A MIGHTY FORTRESS: BeagleSounds + TruckerMusic + That Heavenly Choir 2011/05/30 16:48:07 (permalink)
    WoW!  Great job.  Very interesting mix of different genres

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1