Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
2011/01/27 14:23:50 (permalink)

A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool?

OK...

I got an idea... I've been going back and forth between 8.5 and X1a comparing some things...

This one? One of my main peeves and may be simple to "fix"?

Remember when we had the issue about which side (if any) should remain selected after performing a split? Cakewalks solution was wonderful... We can set this to our liking now...

So how about this idea? For me, The smart tool is essentially the same as how I've always worked with the draw tool and it's set of customizations (up thru 8.5.3)... Right now, the smart tool ONLY locates when clicked in the upper half of the clip and only selects in the bottom... this forces an extra click all day long for me...

The draw tool however would work fine... except it no longer can edit fade in/out's...

So if either fade in/out editing could be added to the draw toolset (I haven't investigated all the key-cluster commands to see if it can do as the draw tool did in 8.5) or...

An option to alter the behavior of smart tool so that clicking in the upper half BOTH locates AND selects... and as with the draw tool in 8.5, if you click-drag within a clip, it highlights/selects just as smart tool does now....

So again I wonder what it is that makes the smart tool any smarter than the draw tool was in 8.5??? The pop-up menu?

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1

64 Replies Related Threads

roughly
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 479
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/27 17:14:31 (permalink)
    +1

always me and keni seem to agree --
    just give us a choice 

www.callthecow.com
    listen
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/27 21:29:24 (permalink)
    Keni

OK...

I got an idea... I've been going back and forth between 8.5 and X1a comparing some things...

Remember when we had the issue about which side (if any) should remain selected after performing a split? Cakewalks solution was wonderful... We can set this to our liking now...

So how about this idea? For me, The smart tool is essentially the same as how I've always worked with the draw tool and it's set of customizations (up thru 8.5.3)... Right now, the smart tool ONLY locates when clicked in the upper half of the clip and only selects in the bottom... this forces an extra click all day long for me...

The draw tool however would work fine... except it no longer can edit fade in/out's...

So if either fade in/out editing could be added to the draw toolset (I haven't investigated all the key-cluster commands to see if it can do as the draw tool did in 8.5) or...

An option to alter the behavior of smart tool so that clicking in the upper half BOTH locates AND selects... and as with the draw tool in 8.5, if you click-drag within a clip, it highlights/selects just as smart tool does now....

So again I wonder what it is that makes the smart tool any smarter than the draw tool was in 8.5??? The pop-up menu?

Keni

I seldom if ever used the draw tool as aforementioned - as I have been using the smart tool I am kind-of liking it - and I have been able to do fade in and outs with the smart tool. 

Now you may be talking about some other type of fade in and out - and thus the description of the drawing tool as you provided was insightful and now I am going to open up 8.5.3 and work with the draw tool

i am continuing to be educated - I am a reader  but I missed this when going through the manual and/or I was doing it another way and never looked deeper or explored beyond how i used it....

- Listen -
    FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
    Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/27 21:39:23 (permalink)
    One does not need a draw tool for fade ins and outs. There is a fade control in the track clip beginning and end at the top. Never had to use a draw tool for this.

Best
    John
    listen
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/27 21:41:12 (permalink)
    John

One does not need a draw tool for fade ins and outs. There is a fade control in the track clip beginning and end at the top. Never had to use a draw tool for this.

Me either ; and that is why I was surprised when he was saying all that the drawing tool could do...

- Listen -
    FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
    Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/27 21:55:29 (permalink)
    Yes one could do that with it and it has always been able to do that but even with a CS as I have for doing that I use the built in fading of Sonar. First of all its simple to replicate it and one can do all tracks by adjusting the one control if you use quick groups or you can select the tracks you want to fade and you only need to fade the one.

Best
    John
    Keni
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 10:13:52 (permalink)
    listen

Keni

OK...

Keni

I seldom if ever used the draw tool as aforementioned - as I have been using the smart tool I am kind-of liking it - and I have been able to do fade in and outs with the smart tool. 

Now you may be talking about some other type of fade in and out - and thus the description of the drawing tool as you provided was insightful and now I am going to open up 8.5.3 and work with the draw tool

i am continuing to be educated - I am a reader  but I missed this when going through the manual and/or I was doing it another way and never looked deeper or explored beyond how i used it....

I think you misunderstood me...

I know I can do fades with the smart tool, what I CAN'T do is locate and select in a single click... It now requires TWO clicks... One to locate then a second to select... In the past, the draw tool did EVERYTHING the smart tool does... so I don't get it... Other than this one draw back (for me), I don't see what's so magic about it???

The draw tool no longer has the abilities it used to!

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    Keni
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 10:17:47 (permalink)
    John

I guess you guys don't understand.... I know how and where the fade controls are... and in the past, the draw tool allowed me to do everything that the smart tool currently does.... But the smart tool costs me an extra mouse move and click to locate and select... Now two clicks with a move in between instead of the single click I used to be able to do...

Can anyone tell me what's so fabulous about the smart tool that wasn't available with the draw tool in 8.5???

When you do a lot of editing, that extra click and mouse move gets very redundant and pointless....

I just can't believe how many issues this new version has worsened (for me).... and for no gains in my world!

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

Keni
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 10:20:47 (permalink)
    Maybe this will make my point more clear?

I want to either have the fade control added to the draw tool (and pray that the other key clusters commands are still available for it - I've got to investigate that more)...

Or even better? change the behavior (make it user selectable???) so that locate and select are once again a single click!!!

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 10:52:40 (permalink)
    Keni, something I'm not getting is that you're saying "...But the smart tool costs me an extra mouse move and click to locate and select..."  Where's the extra click?  You just have the cursor either in the upper half or the lower half, depending on what you want to do.

?

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 11:13:38 (permalink)
    Keni I don't think you understand how to use the smart tool.

Best
    John
    Keni
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 11:54:37 (permalink)
    OK...

somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong...

I wish to select a location to split.... and I wish to complete the operation with two commands (clicks/etc) using a combination of the mouse (locate/select) and split using the keyboard (S key is assigned for the task)...

I can do this in 8.5... One click locates the time as well as selecting the clip so that I can execute the split with my hands free of the mouse...

How can I do this with smart tool? From what I find I must first locate in the upper portion of the clip, then mouve the mouse to the lower part of the clip and click again to select... then finally hit the S key to split The X1 way

REAL Sonar? (;-)) I can click to locate the time, and press the S key to split.... Is'nt this obvious???

If there's an easier/faster way that allows me to do this I'll be more than happy to learn.... But please don't start with telling me any methods that include splitting with the mouse.... Not dependable enuf for my taste...

Much thanks for any tips, hints and learning you can help me with...

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

John
    Forum Host
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 12:00:12 (permalink)
    Try using this select the clip then place the tool at or near the bottom where you want the split and hit the alt key.

Best
    John
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 14:12:50 (permalink)
    John

Try using this select the clip then place the tool at or near the bottom where you want the split and hit the alt key.

It's actually even quicker. There's no need to select the clip first. Just hold the Alt key and then click on the clip where you want the split. Remembering of course that it will follow any snap-to settings you have set.

For multiple tracks at once select the clips then hit 'S'. The split will happen at the now time.
    F@ker
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 14:13:10 (permalink)
    ....So again I wonder what it is that makes the smart tool any smarter than the draw tool...

Keni

What makes it "smart" and why it's called the smart tool is because it will change into the tool you want to use (within its design parameters) according to where you place it in the view; I'm just saying...
    Keni
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 17:19:05 (permalink)
    Why can't I seem to get anyone to understand this time...

I did mention above not to offer me splitting via mouse... I want my hand OFF the mouse when I split!!! This is one of my big issues with X1... they;ve forced me to keyboard when I want to use mouse and mouse when I want to use keyboard!!!  VEry annoying...

We all have our methods of work and when I'm working and often with only one hand as I'm likely to be playing at the same time so there might be a guitar in my lap or I'm turned sideways to play keys...

So deciding when it's easier for me to work the keyboard or mouse should be left to me as in all prior versions... Now I'm being told what's best for me and it's NOT! (In Capitol letters!)

Too many things have been moved to where I'm forced to move from mouse to keyboard and back to keyboard... With all the hubub about "shortcut" keys, here's a stopper for me.

You have to picture how I prefer to work and what's comfortable to me... Cakewalk has always been that... until now trying to force me to do it "their way"...

In 8.5 I simply clicked to set my location and pressed the S key.... It was simple, it worked for me and this does NOT!

It could be fixed in many ways to accomodate others such as I with no change to those users who like things the way they are... A simple user selection to decide if smart tool separates the locate and select function.... Or by bringing back all the Draw Tools abilites....

I guess the smart tool isn't smart enuf to figure out how I work.... And this is a very annoying spot for it to be as I must do this over and over all day long... <sigh>...

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

Keni
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 17:21:19 (permalink)
    F@ker

....So again I wonder what it is that makes the smart tool any smarter than the draw tool...

Keni

What makes it "smart" and why it's called the smart tool is because it will change into the tool you want to use (within its design parameters) according to where you place it in the view; I'm just saying...

BTW... The Draw Tool always did everything that the smart tool now appears to do.... So it's just a new name other than this issue.

If I placed it at an edge I got the trims... the top edge gave me the fades and anywhere else I clicked located and selected at once!!! Now I must click twice to do this...

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 17:46:07 (permalink)
    Keni.......... I must be completely mis-understanding something here.

You said you click to set your location, I'm assuming you are clicking with the mouse. perhaps that's what I'm missing? Are you not setting location with the mouse?

If you aren't then I need to know how you are working. I do nearly all my selecting, splitting etc using my CS but I assume others aren't.

Anyway. If you are clicking with the mouse to set location all you have to do is hold the Alt key while clicking and the clip splits, 'cos it's the 'smart' tool.  That's why I suggested the method.

If you're not clicking with the mouse what are you using and I may be able to help..........
    Keni
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 17:57:43 (permalink)
    I can see I'm still not getting thru to anyone...

Yes, my hand is on the mouse and in this case I force myself to move it to the keyboard because I don't want to split using the mouse! It's that simple... (In this case)

why can't it simply select in BOTH upper and lower regions? It used to... and I could still opt to do a drag-select-area within the clip just as I can in the upper portion of the smart tool.... The NOT smart Draw Tool knew to switch to drag-select when I did this... this way it would again locate and select so I could then simply hit the S key to split...

I even go so far as using a Trackman Marble (thumb ball) to minimize mouse movement once the cursor is located where I want... But I've had isses, so I now avoid working that way! ...and now Cakewalk is telling me I can no longer use their' product in as versatile a manner as I have been in the past...

Some may like this new UI (and I for one wouldn't care if they'd left all we had before and simply ADDED the stupid thing)... Would it have hurt to leave the tools we had and ADD the smart tool for those who like it's ways? They give us some of the tools but with far limited abilites to what it had in the past...

Now we're all gonna be shellin' out for updates simply to get back what we had before as they slowly bring these things back to the program....

I'm sick!

Thanks for tryin' everybody...

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 18:04:11 (permalink)
    The Smart Tool does more than the Draw Tool depending on which veiw you are in.

Craig DuBuc
    rbowser
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 18:11:41 (permalink)
    Keni - Use 8.5.  That's what I'm doing.  Happily productive, letting the cobwebs grow on X1 until it's fixed.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 18:13:26 (permalink)
    I can sense you are frustrated Keni but I'm still not getting exactly what you are trying to do. I am trying to help.

If you're not a mouse user you are leaning against an open door here. I've finally got rid of mine completely and now have a keyboard with touchpad, but I do most of my work with a control surface so I do appreciate how not everyone uses a mouse. I do my splits with a combination of jog wheel/mode keys to move the now time where I want it select the track/clip with the select button on the CS and split with the 'S' key. That just works for me far quicker than any other method.

I appreciate there's a bit of a learning curve with X1 but isn't that what this forum is partly for. All I'm suggesting is trying the 'new way'. If it really doesn't work out for you I don't know what to suggest. It seems that Cake have set out the direction they are heading I can't see them bringing back much that's been changed although I could be wrong of course.

I just can't see the difference between clicking while holding the 'Alt' key down and clicking and then pressing 'S'. Both ways require a click and both require a keypress. The 'new' method just does them both at once so is arguably quicker.

Sorry if that doesn't help.........
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 18:40:05 (permalink)
    It's actually even quicker. There's no need to select the clip first. Just hold the Alt key and then click on the clip where you want the split. Remembering of course that it will follow any snap-to settings you have set. For multiple tracks at once select the clips then hit 'S'. The split will happen at the now time.
    I know. I've been over this before. Its not that hard to do things in X1.

Best
    John
    rbowser
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 18:46:45 (permalink)
    Keni is saying he wants it to be a one-hand operation.  He doesn't want to use both the computer keyboard and mouse at the same time.  He's wanting it to work in a way it doesn't.  So. -

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 18:54:05 (permalink)

I can see I'm still not getting thru to anyone...
    You are but you're not using what we say.
    Yes, my hand is on the mouse and in this case I force myself to move it to the keyboard because I don't want to split using the mouse! It's that simple... (In this case)
    I hope you keep your hand on the mouse and use your other hand for the keyboard.
    why can't it simply select in BOTH upper and lower regions? It used to... and I could still opt to do a drag-select-area within the clip just as I can in the upper portion of the smart tool.... The NOT smart Draw Tool knew to switch to drag-select when I did this... this way it would again locate and select so I could then simply hit the S key to split...
    Because that is not how it works. BTW if you must have a split from the top or the bottom use the split tool.
    I even go so far as using a Trackman Marble (thumb ball) to minimize mouse movement once the cursor is located where I want... But I've had isses, so I now avoid working that way! ...and now Cakewalk is telling me I can no longer use their' product in as versatile a manner as I have been in the past...
    It seems you are ranting about X1 and not getting with the program as it is. X1 is not 8.5.3. You had to learn Sonar 8.5.3 now you need to stop ranting and learn X1.
    Some may like this new UI (and I for one wouldn't care if they'd left all we had before and simply ADDED the stupid thing)... Would it have hurt to leave the tools we had and ADD the smart tool for those who like it's ways? They give us some of the tools but with far limited abilites to what it had in the past...
    Again if this is another rant about X1 then you really are not asking for help but moving your own agenda along. Its getting old fast.

Now we're all gonna be shellin' out for updates simply to get back what we had before as they slowly bring these things back to the program....

I'm sick!
    At last we agree. But I'm not having any trouble working with X1. Nor do I see any need to go back to the old days.

Best
    John
    Keni
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 18:55:53 (permalink)
    Crg

The Smart Tool does more than the Draw Tool depending on which veiw you are in.

Absolutely! .....NOW!

I was talking about the draw tool in 8.5......... Tell me what smart tool does that I couldn't do with Draw previouslY (other than this issue of course)...

At least in the TV, there's nothing new, only less than before...

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

John
    Forum Host
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 19:02:48 (permalink)
    Keni is saying he wants it to be a one-hand operation. He doesn't want to use both the computer keyboard and mouse at the same time. He's wanting it to work in a way it doesn't. So. - RB
    He can with X1 by using the split tool. Or any other tool in the tool bar. All done from the mouse.
    CW wanted to speed up the use of these tools by allowing key combos with the mouse and position. This was used in 8.5.3 with the MIDI tools improvements. What he is asking for is a return to the way it was in the old version. He is not asking if we want a return.  It is just him and him along without thinking maybe some of us like it better now. It could be due to an inability to learn or adjust or just downright obstinate to new ideas.  

Best
    John
    Keni
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 19:04:39 (permalink)
    rbowser

Keni - Use 8.5.  That's what I'm doing.  Happily productive, letting the cobwebs grow on X1 until it's fixed.

RB

Absolutely once again!

Thanks RB... I have been using 8.5 all along, but I've migrated a few and started a few projects in X1 to keep up with things... I will not put my clients thru the extra problems (and me screaming)... I just did a remote recording of basics for a band in a shop/barn out in the mountains... All quickly and easily done with 8.5 with zero problems...

But I know that it's always grow or die with these products, so I'm trying to move along with it and keep Cakewalk's focus including people that might not work the same as the many... That's been Sonar's saving grace for many users... We've been able to work in our own way.... Until X1

But these issues are not things that can't be addressed relatively easily if the Cakewalk team believes enough people want it. Then they move it higher on their' priorities list and maybe I'll get back what I've lost before old age makes me too feeble to use it anyway. I don't know as it was a long ride getting all those elements avaialbe to us... customized tool displays... custom colors... and more ways to skin the cat than there are cats!

So I beat on these issues and hopefully make the plight known to Cakewalk in hopes that "we can all get along"... I'm very happy so many like the new stuff, but I can say that from the responses I've seen here, there are MANY people who are not happy!

So here's to keeping this stuff alive and obvious to the Bakers so that they'll want to make me "go away" and throw in the old stuff with the new!

Thanks...
    Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

Keni
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 19:08:12 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

I can sense you are frustrated Keni but I'm still not getting exactly what you are trying to do. I am trying to help.

If you're not a mouse user you are leaning against an open door here. I've finally got rid of mine completely and now have a keyboard with touchpad, but I do most of my work with a control surface so I do appreciate how not everyone uses a mouse. I do my splits with a combination of jog wheel/mode keys to move the now time where I want it select the track/clip with the select button on the CS and split with the 'S' key. That just works for me far quicker than any other method.

I appreciate there's a bit of a learning curve with X1 but isn't that what this forum is partly for. All I'm suggesting is trying the 'new way'. If it really doesn't work out for you I don't know what to suggest. It seems that Cake have set out the direction they are heading I can't see them bringing back much that's been changed although I could be wrong of course.

I just can't see the difference between clicking while holding the 'Alt' key down and clicking and then pressing 'S'. Both ways require a click and both require a keypress. The 'new' method just does them both at once so is arguably quicker.

Sorry if that doesn't help.........

Yes... It may be faster, but I don't want to split while placing the cursor until I decide it's positioned where I want it... and I don't trust mouse movement to occur during operations that the mouse is involved in... My old hands are just too shaky... ;-)

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

John
    Forum Host
    Re:A Possible Fix For The Smart Tool? 2011/01/28 19:13:13 (permalink)
    Tell me what smart tool does that I couldn't do with Draw previouslY (other than this issue of course)...
    Adjust fade in, Adjust fade out, Crop clip start, Crop clip end, Crop clip start and move fade in, Stretch clip, Crop clip start and also move clip data, Lasso select entire clips, Select by time, Click to select clip; drag
    to move clip or selection, Split clip, Move data within clip, Click to set the Now time and clear the selection;drag to select by time.
    That is what the smart tool can do in X1 with audio.  With MIDI it has a lot of things it can do there as well.

Best
    John
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1