Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
2008/04/13 14:17:09 (permalink)

A Reminder to Everyone...

To back up your work.

I've just lost probably a year's work due to a hard drive crash. I haven't backed up in about a year.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.

63 Replies Related Threads

Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/13 14:54:20 (permalink)
    Oh, man, sorry to hear that! I suppose that includes that new song you're working on?
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/13 15:37:24 (permalink)
    Backup...backup...backup....

we all hear it and know we're supposed to do it.....but we get lazy. As Beag found out, as I have found out, and as you will find out too....it's not if the hard drive will crash...it's a matter of when.

Get busy. Get an external drive and use it. OR....if you're to lazy or busy to spend a few minutes each day backing up your data....do as I have done....sign up for on line backup.... www.carbonite.com I like this because it's automatic. select your folders to be backed up, and carbonite does it automatically, 128 bit encription, and when you change a folder or anything in it...it gets backed up automatically. crash your computer, or even get a whole new machine and you transfer the data right back in to the new computer or drive.

Back up your song data as you work on a tune..... make a major change or edit? .....click save! I don't know about you but MC4 crashes on me unexpectedly. Back up...back up....back up......

OR ELSE!!!!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/13 17:33:47 (permalink)
    yes, it includes the latest song I've been working on both in Sonar and in Finale.

that looks interesting, herb. $50/year isn't very much, either in the grand scheme of things. I gladly would pay it NOW if I could get my files back!

amateur
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/13 19:45:02 (permalink)
    Acronis True Image Home - you can schedule automatic backups, which is handy because we are all guilty of not doing them because we "don't have the time" or we will "do it later/tomorrow/on the weekend"
    Beagle
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/13 19:47:19 (permalink)
    yeah, if I could just get it to do backups from the drive AFTER it's failed!

amateur
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/13 19:54:27 (permalink)
    Any hope of retrieving any files? My D*** laptop crashed last year, but the computer people were able to get the files off it even though it was beyond the blue screen of death
    Mamabear
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/13 19:55:25 (permalink)
    OK, I just backed everything up. Can you just remind us about once a week? lol Actually, one of my sons had BOTH his hard drives die at once. That sort of scares me!
    pantherhawk27263
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/13 20:11:04 (permalink)
    I'd just like to know how the hard drive seems to always know the worst time to crash, the exact moment it can cause the most grief, usually when you are just finishing something. I had the same thing happen, but only lost two projects, but it was still two projects too many to lose. (And have I been backing things up? Nooooooooo.) But I am going to start. Sorry for your loss Reece.
    post edited by pantherhawk27263 - 2008/04/13 20:29:43

"Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music. Music is the BEST!"
    Frank Zappa - "Packard Goose" from "Joe's Garage"
    Beagle
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/13 21:18:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: amateur

Any hope of retrieving any files? My D*** laptop crashed last year, but the computer people were able to get the files off it even though it was beyond the blue screen of death

you might could get files off of it if you hook it up to a USB external case.

mine already was in a usb external case, my failure won't allow it to read the drive at all.

there are data recovery places available, but I think they start at $300. I don't think I can afford that.

Beagle
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/13 21:19:28 (permalink)
    yeah - I don't know. thanks for the empathy, Mike!

Guitarhacker
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/13 22:03:08 (permalink)
    Hey Reece....check this out. I know I've posted this info before but I'll bet you forgot about it...so here it is again just for you...

ALL MAY NOT BE LOST.

This advice is based on a desktop...I've not tried this on a laptop. So for all you people on laptops, save a copy of your stuff to an external drive....they are hugh and they are cheap insurance.

OK Reece....try this. Install a new drive and put your OS on it and get the computer booted & running, or buy a new machine. Take the old crashed drive, get the manufacturers user manual for it..usually available on the mfg's website. Reset the dip switches on the crashed drive to make it a SLAVE drive. Make sure the computer is off and install this drive as a slave on the ribbon cable in the second connector. Hook up the power cables and turn the computer on. The first hard drive will contain the OS and the computer should boot normally. Once it is booted, use MY COMPUTER to see if you can see the second (slave) drive. If you can see it there is a real good chance that you will be able to access the data and if you can access it you will be able to copy it off to a new drive.

This can work because usually the crash involves the FAT and the OS. THe file structure is usually undamaged and the data is still there. Since you are not needing to boot from the drive there is a good chance that your data is in the undamaged files and is retrievable. It's worth a try.

I have done this recovery method several times through the years and it has worked every time.

I hope it works for you.

BMI/NSAI

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/13 23:18:09 (permalink)
    Hey Reece, are you saying that the failed drive is an external, accessed through a usb? I think you might still be able to get data off of it, you might need to install it in a desk top box, and wire it in as a slave, I just recently spoke with someone about this very issue, but memory fails me, as usual. I'll ask when I get to work on monday. Back up to an external drive was supposed to be foolproof, and if it isn't, I'm gonna have to consider one of those back up sites. I'm getting into a situation where it isn't just my material, but also some one elses, and I can't imagine going to several people and telling them I lost their stuff...
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Beagle
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 02:12:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

Hey Reece....check this out. I know I've posted this info before but I'll bet you forgot about it...so here it is again just for you...

ALL MAY NOT BE LOST.

This advice is based on a desktop...I've not tried this on a laptop. So for all you people on laptops, save a copy of your stuff to an external drive....they are hugh and they are cheap insurance.

OK Reece....try this. Install a new drive and put your OS on it and get the computer booted & running, or buy a new machine. Take the old crashed drive, get the manufacturers user manual for it..usually available on the mfg's website. Reset the dip switches on the crashed drive to make it a SLAVE drive. Make sure the computer is off and install this drive as a slave on the ribbon cable in the second connector. Hook up the power cables and turn the computer on. The first hard drive will contain the OS and the computer should boot normally. Once it is booted, use MY COMPUTER to see if you can see the second (slave) drive. If you can see it there is a real good chance that you will be able to access the data and if you can access it you will be able to copy it off to a new drive.

This can work because usually the crash involves the FAT and the OS. THe file structure is usually undamaged and the data is still there. Since you are not needing to boot from the drive there is a good chance that your data is in the undamaged files and is retrievable. It's worth a try.

I have done this recovery method several times through the years and it has worked every time.

I hope it works for you.

Thanks Herb, but it wasn't my C: drive that failed. it was an external USB drive (already just a data drive). I do believe that the data is still there, but I can't access it because it won't read anything from the drive. windows nor dos mode will recognize it's even there.

Beagle
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 02:15:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gamblerschoice

Hey Reece, are you saying that the failed drive is an external, accessed through a usb? I think you might still be able to get data off of it, you might need to install it in a desk top box, and wire it in as a slave, I just recently spoke with someone about this very issue, but memory fails me, as usual. I'll ask when I get to work on monday. Back up to an external drive was supposed to be foolproof, and if it isn't, I'm gonna have to consider one of those back up sites. I'm getting into a situation where it isn't just my material, but also some one elses, and I can't imagine going to several people and telling them I lost their stuff...
    Later
    Albert

thanks albert, but I had tried that as well. no dice. it won't even spin up properly. this is a physical drive failure, not just some of the disk getting bad sectors.

lespaulman35
    • Total Posts : 467
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 04:30:32 (permalink)
    I've had this happen to me to. Twice! Now you get to have fun recording everything again. Not a problem for me since I only make jam tracks of covers.

Gateway GT5228 AMD Athlon 64X2 Processor 4200+ 250 GB Sata II WD Raptor 150 GB Sata II 2048 MB DDR2 Microsoft XP Professional Delta1010LT Audiophile 192 Sonar Producer 8
    Guitarhacker
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 07:57:56 (permalink)
    OUCH!!!

That gives me pause to reconsider my backing up methods for my laptop. I bought one of those 500GB usb drives too, expressly for the purpose of "saving" my data to an external drive. I understand the difficulty of recovery from a laptop drive so I thought I was safe using the usb external.....now I see the danger in that.

So I guess a solution would be....get a second usb drive and mirror the data to both drives...I think there are software programs that would do that automatically.....the chances are slim that both drives would fail at the exact same time. That may be what I do.

BMI/NSAI

Beagle
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 09:46:23 (permalink)
    I sent for a quote from one of the companies in Dallas. Here's the response:

Our standard rate is $149.00 per hour. If you want to expedite the process the rate will be $269 for the diagnostic and $269 per hour.

All recoveries are different but from what you described in your initial query, your project can take anywhere from 3-14 hours ($447.00-$2086.00).

I'm thinking that I'm just going to have to redo everything that's important.

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 10:53:53 (permalink)
    ....$447.00-$2086.00.....

Well, that changes everything. I thought you were talking about a lot of money, but two grand? That's like pocket change to a big timer like you.
    Really, you are in a bad situation, there. A year's worth of work, that's a lot from someone like yourself. But the lesson learned translates to myself, the Hacker, and maybe a few others, ie., don't trust the external drive as a foolproof back up system. I think a round of copy to disk of everthing in the "finished" category is in order, maybe even break out the old tape backup systems we used to use.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 11:10:25 (permalink)
    You might try the fridge trick - cooling makes the drive contract slightly, which sometimes (temporarily) can undo wear damage - no joke or fairy tale, it's good science:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20061027115456243

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 11:48:42 (permalink)
    What i like to do is this copy all to a USB hard drive, then burn a copy on DVD as well then it is very unlikely that all three will fail. Especially if you use a good mirro software to copy to the extra hard drive, then take one out put the other in format the old and re mirror

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Beagle
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 11:51:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gamblerschoice

I think a round of copy to disk of everthing in the "finished" category is in order, maybe even break out the old tape backup systems we used to use.

ouch! - those things were such a pain - so slow! but they worked.

Beagle
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 11:53:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Robomusic

What i like to do is this copy all to a USB hard drive, then burn a copy on DVD as well then it is very unlikely that all three will fail. Especially if you use a good mirro software to copy to the extra hard drive, then take one out put the other in format the old and re mirror

yep - exactly what I should have been doing.

Beagle
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 11:54:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

You might try the fridge trick - cooling makes the drive contract slightly, which sometimes (temporarily) can undo wear damage - no joke or fairy tale, it's good science:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20061027115456243

Thanks, Rob! It certainly can't hurt to try that!

Robomusic
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 12:07:02 (permalink)
    I am so feeling your pain Beag. i lost three original songs i did a couple years back that i can't seem to duplicate, and i so wanted to upgrade them with new track and techiques.

Music Town
    kringle
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 14:54:37 (permalink)
    Beagle,

I was able to do a repair through DOS I believe. My problem was that it was my main drive with windows. It seems like your may be an easier fix if you could only get something to recognise it. You see nothing in Drive Manager? I would try putting it inside as a slave and see what happens. Mine was completely crashed, but I ended up getting everything off it with a couple days of research. The drive was reformatted and is working fine now. Something messed up in the file structure can do that, without any physical drive problems.

Jason

Jason
    http://www.MettaFlutes.com/
    http://www.myspace.com/brotherchristmas/
    Pentium Dual Core 2.8ghz - 2 Gig - windows xp
    125 gig free on hard drive - mc3 - sonar hs7 - delta 44
    Guitarhacker
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 15:27:58 (permalink)
    You know... I have used CD's in the past....because a CD will more than hold the data for a Cakewalk bundle file to most songs. I used to burn the bundle to CD once I was "basically finished" with the song and had mixed it down.

CD's are cheap insurance.....but you know....NOTHING IS FOOLPROOF. Even CD's have a shelf life.

I can buy a whole lot of CD's for the price of another 500GB drive.

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 15:33:56 (permalink)
    Yeah and if your burner does DVD, you can get larger projects on it with audio wave files galore.

Music Town
    Mamabear
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 15:36:56 (permalink)
    OK, I've got a question. Probably a dumb one, but ya'll are used to that! If you save to a CD or DVD, does it just record the audio? Cause I'd like to back up stuff that's in process and a lot of it is just midi at this point. I'd like to be able to separate the tracks, etc. OK, as soon as you quit laughing, you can answer.
    Beagle
    RE: A Reminder to Everyone... 2008/04/14 15:40:20 (permalink)
    saving as a CWB will save everything except the actual plugins themselves. as long as you reinstall the plugins with the same location and same name, then the CWB will open normally. CWB will save all MIDI and AUDIO data.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1