Helpful ReplyA Solid Migration Plan to another DAW

Author
LeBassist
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
2018/01/13 21:11:19 (permalink)

A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW

Just thinking out loud...

1) Capsulize your previous CW work.  Get an export method down-pat. (I have DOS stuff, so lots of work to do)
2) Find your new DAW.  (Seem's like Studio 1 v3 is a fav for Win & Mac).
3) Take your butter Plugins (I have a love grip on Z3TA & Dim, and anything Anderton did,<thks Craig>)
4) Learn what you new DAW like in the was of work flow
5) Figure out where we are all going to meet-up?

This is a crude start, perhaps i'll start a twitter account/tag #byebyeSonar
There must be a best practices about change management on, let's call it enterprise software

I'd would love to be a fly on the wall in the decision to kill SONAR.  Really want to know what's happened...  Was there a critical flaw, too much to overcome?  Did a key player up and quit? Did they try to reach out to Greg Hendershott (the creator of Twelve Tone, now Cakewalk...  Thinking of a Steve Jobs come back!)

How about a kick starter to buy Sonar?  There are 141K people who read the demise Cakewalk post.  141k x  $20 =2.8 Mil! I think that should pull anybody out of the hole.

Maybe too many thoughts in one post.

There's a hold in my life!

bRAD

I7, X3, Korg M3, HPD-15, SR15, Fishman Triple Play, MOTU, Lots of Racks, Samples, Guitars and Basses
dlion16
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 391
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/13 22:34:08 (permalink)
sadly, sonar is dead. i could see burning through 2.8 in a shorter time than it would take to write a DAW from scratch with the best programmers ($$$$), thouroughly qc it, have tech support and marketing in place... i don't see it.

i demoed six or seven DAWs and chose cubase. i began a new project when it was down to S1 and CB, the test project just sounded better in CB. if i want to migrate old projects its isn't too tough (see sweetwater article), or i can work on them in sonar as needed...

SONAR Platinum Lifetime 64-bit; Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen.; KRK Rokit 5; ASUS P9X79; INTEL I7-3820 3.6 GHZ;
850 WATT POWER SUPPLY; EVGA NVIDIA GTX560 TI 1GB;
Windows 10 Home 64-bit; 32GB RAM;
2 Internal SSD Drives, 3 External USB drives.
igiwigi
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 437
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/13 23:01:47 (permalink)
Cubase Is the only intelligent answer
I have ditched Platinum and just kept the lp  plugins and ZTa from the command centre
No good hanging on to the past
Paulchen14666
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/13 23:13:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby burgerproduction 2018/01/15 17:05:42
I tried a few daws and nothing made me 100% happy...I bought the crossgrade for studio one and sold it a few weeks later again...
Samplitude seems to be cool...I will keep it for mastering and the independence has very good sounds,but it is very different, too.
Meanwhile I use reaper(60$ is a great prize) as 2nd daw. Sonar will be my main daw as long as possible, but reaper is a fine thing to work with...I can drag the clips directly from the sonar window to the reaper window so it is very easy to work with both. Yesterday I copied a whole project in a few minutes with time changes, fx etc...

Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/14 00:42:53 (permalink)
Sonar is likely to continue to be fully operational on my Windows 7 platform for a year or two, so my migration strategy is a gradual long-term one. I will continue using Sonar Platinum for as long as possible. I will revert to Sonar X3 if Platinum authorization becomes a problem.

Meanwhile, I have already purchased Digital Performer, which in the short term will be my secondary DAW. In the long term it can eventually become my primary DAW if continuing with Sonar becomes imposible. But, right now, as a secondary DAW I did not want something too similar to Sonar, so I chose one that is very dissimilar.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/14 04:35:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mitch_I 2018/01/14 18:56:04
My opinion is . . . if you loved Sonar, you will really like Cubase . . . it mostly does what Sonar did, but the terminology is just different, and it takes a while to adjust to that. You really need to decide what you need from your DAW, so you can move on to the right one. For me, it was important to have excellent midi, and staff view experience.

I have programmed all my old Sonar keyboard shortcuts to be the same in Cubase, so the workflow is very much the same. If you use Melodyne a lot, it may not be the best choice, since Cubase has their own (Vari Audio) solution for that, which will take some time adapting to. Remember how you hated Sonar's Audiosnap ? . . . to change the tempo of a project containing pre-recorded audio ? . . . get ready for a pleasant surprise in Cubase.

I've now moved many Sonar projects over to Cubase, and I think they sound better . . . I wasn't expecting that, but they just sound better, for whatever reason.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/14 06:18:41 (permalink)
Assuming that Sonar is still working ok, then to hastily ditch it for something untried doesn't seem like a good stategy to me.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/15 06:06:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby burgerproduction 2018/01/15 17:06:48
LeBassist

Having been through all of this and come out the other side with still a bit of sanity left, let me give you some advice. Don't blindly choose a DAW because it's the fav. A lot of people have done that and it seems nuts to me. There are quite a few good DAWs out there and everyone will try to convince you that the one they went for is the best. The best way is to try out as many demos as you can and try to give each demo time before giving up. A lot of people seem to be hungup on Sonar and the Sonar way of doing things. Every DAW you try will have its own unique ways of doing things and it's own quirks etc. So put Sonar out of your head. We all work in different ways so some DAWs are better for some and others are better for others. So find one that works best for you by trying them out.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/19 16:17:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/01/21 01:22:59
Sonar may well continue to work for years. But it may not. The problem is predicting when it won’t work any longer. So I asked myself how long it would take to learn a DAW as well as I know Sonar. I’ve been with this program since 1993 and while I’ve dabbled in many other DAWs, I’m not fluent in any bar Sonar. I figure it’s going to take some time. While Sonars development remains at zero is the perfect time to learn a new DAW

So after much examining, trying this and trying that, I’ve gone with Cubase 9.5 Pro. However, rather than wait for Sonar to stop working, I’m just going to stop using it and get stuck into Cubase. In fact this is going to be the first time I have a PC that won’t have a piece of Cakewalk Daw loaded on it.

I’ve placed myself in the same position I was in when the X series came out. Couldn’t get to like it and kept going back to 8.5.3. So I was not really learning the new X series. Solution; force myself to do it by uninstalling 8.5.3. It didn’t take too long to get into the swing of things with the X series once the major distraction of 8.5.3 was gone.

Same now. Not having Sonar installed will push me into spending all my time on Cubase without a cozy fallback to rely on.

If Sonar resurfaces as some new product or gets a new lease of life some other way, i’ll have the latest Sonar you can have so I’ll have the same options available to me as any other Sonar user. In the meantime I’ll have a DAW with plenty of features that’s still being developed.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
jude77
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/19 16:41:44 (permalink)
LeBassist

1) Capsulize your previous CW work.  Get an export method down-pat. (I have DOS stuff, so lots of work to do)
3) Take your butter Plugins (I have a love grip on Z3TA & Dim, and anything Anderton did,<thks Craig>)

That's a very organized plan.  Here's mine so far:
1.  What? SONAR is defunct?!?!?!  How cow, I need a new DAW!!!!  RIGHT NOW!!!!!
2.  Bought Studio One because it was on sale at a great price.
3.  Can't bond with Studio One.
4.  Bought Samplitude because it was on sale at a great price.
5.  Can't bond with Samplitude.
6.  Return to SONAR.

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/21 01:29:16 (permalink)
jude77
LeBassist

6.  Return to SONAR.

Take a look at Tracktion T6 (free) or Tracktion Waveform. https://www.tracktion.com/products/t6-daw

It is object oriented, but a completely different workflow from Sonar.  It is an intuitive one screen workspace, but there is a lot under the hood to dig into. There are manuals and videos to cover most of the features...
https://www.tracktion.com/training/videos

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
jude77
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/21 03:27:54 (permalink)
abacab
jude77
LeBassist

6.  Return to SONAR.

Take a look at Tracktion T6 (free) or Tracktion Waveform. https://www.tracktion.com/products/t6-daw

It is object oriented, but a completely different workflow from Sonar.  It is an intuitive one screen workspace, but there is a lot under the hood to dig into. There are manuals and videos to cover most of the features...
https://www.tracktion.com/training/videos

Very Cool.  Thanks!

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
igiwigi
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 437
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/21 15:27:08 (permalink)
Keep saying CUBASE is the way to go and the only Intelligent answer
Just takes a little to get used to ,but If you have the brains to work out Sonar, then Cubase is no different.
It has Sys ex support for keyboard players to get their onboard sounds sequencing nice.
If you want just vst use ,then Mixcraft is a great option.Very easy to master.
abacab
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/21 17:04:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2018/01/24 22:43:04
Cubase is probably an excellent choice for some, but probably not for everybody.  I really like the Elements package for $99, plenty of MIDI stuff in there, if you don't really need all the Pro bells and whistles!

I tried the demo of Mixcraft last year, and found it fairly easy to use, with plenty of similarity to Sonar plus some nice new features.  My only issue with it is that it is Windows only, and has no competitive niche to keep it around for the long run.  I would hate to put all my marbles in that basket and up like Cakewalk did again, someday...

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/21 19:31:45 (permalink)
I am working to make a bit different "migration plan" possible:
a) download 11M DAW
b) open your Sonar project in it, check it is fine (that is the part I try to prepare...)
c) continue using Sonar, with a good feeling that in case Sonar stuck you can run another DAW to finish your project(s)
d*) at free time try to learn a bit another environment, just in case you will be forced to switch fast

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/21 20:18:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/01/21 21:58:20
igiwigi
Cubase has Sys ex support for keyboard players to get their onboard sounds sequencing nice.

This implies that unless you have Sysex support you cannot get your external keyboards sequencing nice which of course is not true at all. I have got 8 external synths and with Studio One trust me I am getting everything sequencing nice! 

Sysex only allows you to dump sounds into your synths on the fly and edit them on the fly which is not something you always have to do. If you are someone who either creates patches or edits them, then you can still do this with Studio One and just sequence the final sound you end up with.  One of my synths is a Roland JD800 and I can easily edit patches on the fly as well manually while Studio One is sequencing it.

You can use an editor program for your synths and often the editors use Sysex to communicate with the synths. Studio One allows you to run an editor tandem with Studio One itself i.e. the editor and Studio One can address the same synth at the same time. 

Sysex support (or lack of) alone is not enough reason to not even consider a DAW.  Studio One for some may be a million times better and nicer than Cubase.  Many Cubase users have migrated to Studio One in fact. 

The real trick in a migration plan is be prepared to learn a new DAW. Many here are ranting that they will never be able to do it but that is not true.  After 6 months of learning a new DAW and using it you will be just as fluent as you were in Sonar.  You will totally forget Sonar and basically never look back.  The human brain is pretty powerful.  Stop underestimating it. 

It gets back to the power of your subconscious mind. Keep telling yourself that you will never be able to learn a new DAW as well as you know Sonar and then you never will.  Start sending the right messages into your subconscious instead which is I can and will learn a new DAW and I will be as good as I ever was in Sonar or better. You might just surprise yourself.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/21 20:38:06 (permalink)
i got cubase pro 9.5, the "industry standard" Pro Tools and I already had ableton. These are the three with the most professional users and since young people tend to go with what they hear their favorite artists use i figure they have a good chance of surviving the red sea DAW wars.

Cubase is a beast

azslow3
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/22 09:52:51 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Sysex support (or lack of) alone is not enough reason to not even consider a DAW.  Studio One for some may be a million times better and nicer than Cubase.  Many Cubase users have migrated to Studio One in fact.

By itself, a lack of something is not a big problem (especially when not required for particular use case). But
From Presonus Q&A
It's unbelievable that Studio One still does not record sysex. It's basic MIDI 1.0

When someone start to ignore one standard, independent from the intention (not common, almost obsolete, etc.) it will not take long till something else is "half made" or declared obsolete. F.e. one day 32bit was dropped. Sure, everything is done as a "care about users"

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
awake1994
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/22 16:24:43 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Studio One for some may be a million times better and nicer than Cubase.  Many Cubase users have migrated to Studio One in fact. 

Better and nicer depends on usage, not generally ;)

SPlatinum / SL16.0.2 / Win10 on iMac
Frank-US
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/23 15:57:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby backwoods 2018/01/23 16:46:06
Jeff Evans

Since no former Cubase customer give us a call to let us know, that he will leave us, I can't judge the fact that many have switched. Actually, I personally know just one (Teddy Riley) but he switched back to Cubase, as for him the feature set was not deep enough.
Due to nesscary processes, I can only see customers migrating from other DAW's to Cubase. Studio One unsers are amongst them and therefore are no exception.
Where I agree is, that the DAW should fit the customers demand.
Not the market position, not the price or the brand.
Both products Sonar and Cubase have their history and a fully fleged feature set that has developed over time. Which can't be re-build in a short time period by others.
And I'm convinced that this is the main reason why quite a number of Sonar useres took the plunge and have chosen the crossgrade offer and Cubase in the meantime.
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/23 20:36:29 (permalink)
Cubase has always had a deep and solid foundation to midi back in the Pro 24 days. I used it for composing music for theatre back then running on the Atari. (1985) I later started with Cubase myself as my main sequencer.  Cubase also works very nice with its own midi hardware. Such as the Midex 8. Offering LTB which means super tight timing with the overall system clock and hence the audio side of the program too. Cubase is a very solid Midi based sequencer that is for sure.  I understand why it is considered an Industry Standard. 

Charlie Steinberg and Gerhard Lengling were connected at one stage in history. Gerhard I believe learning sequencer programming from Charlie Steinberg initially. Gerhard went on to develop C Lab notator which over time developed into the version Logic we know today.  Charlie developed Cubase as we know it today.  Two great DAW's developed by two great people.  Lengeling went onto later to develop Garage Band which is also great program.  Especially for younger students learning the basics of music production. 

By simply switching platforms onto a Mac, one can also enjoy Logic which is also a deep and super powerful beast of a program as well.  All it takes is to connect a powerful audio interface to an iMac (USB or thunderbolt) and you have the basis for a super powerful and trouble free music production system.  Most audio interfaces sport hardware midi ports. Thunderbolt is excellent for super low latency making integrating virtual instruments a breeze now.  Logic sports excellent midi timing with is use of Active Midi Transmission though great interfaces such as Emagic hardware like Unitor 8. Logic's audio and midi timing and sync are rock solid too. 

Studio One handles external midi timing with accuracy and tightness. Especially in relation to audio/midi timing.  The gapless audio engine has inherited a dose of both of those inventors.  It has an excellent audio/midi engine especially for looping.  All three DAW's handle that well as are many others entering the scene now. Programs like Studio One can grow fast from the experiences of what has happened before them. It too has not stopped development and will more the likely witness a powerful jump in features with a pending V4 update.

There are some rather interesting DAW's too such as Mixbus which is gaining all the time. They are building on the midi side of that program. It has a very different approach to its design. Well worth considering. Offers a mixer, multitrack analog environment rather well. Might appeal to some more. Other players such as Digital Performer, Samplitude and BitWig are adding to the choices now. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
azslow3
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/23 20:58:19 (permalink)
Frank-US
Where I agree is, that the DAW should fit the customers demand.
Not the market position, not the price or the brand.
Both products Sonar and Cubase have their history and a fully fleged feature set that has developed over time. Which can't be re-build in a short time period by others.

Re-building is sometimes less problematic then historically collected dirt inside the code, especially if the one who produced it is no longer there (or simply no longer remember why it is there). At least that is usual problem for me
No doubt Cubase has collected some Sonaries  (and will collect more). But I guess far from everyone. And it comes from "customers demand". For me that was:
a) no API (the only show stopper, the luck of it means no accessibility and no general surfaces support)
b) no ARA (I know there is own "product", but it is not Melodyne)
c) dongleware (not as much inconvenience as the measure of trust...)
d) Twelve Tone -> Cakewalk -> Roland -> Gibson -> RIP. Steinberg -> Pinnacle -> Yamaha -> ???

abacab
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/23 21:16:19 (permalink)
azslow3

d) Twelve Tone -> Cakewalk -> Roland -> Gibson -> RIP. Steinberg -> Pinnacle -> Yamaha -> ???

LOL, clever! 

abacab
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/23 21:17:33 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Cubase has always had a deep and solid foundation to midi back in the Pro 24 days. I used it for composing music for theatre back then running on the Atari. (1985) I later started with Cubase myself as my main sequencer.  Cubase also works very nice with its own midi hardware. Such as the Midex 8. Offering LTB which means super tight timing with the overall system clock and hence the audio side of the program too. Cubase is a very solid Midi based sequencer that is for sure.  I understand why it is considered an Industry Standard. 

Charlie Steinberg and Gerhard Lengling were connected at one stage in history. Gerhard I believe learning sequencer programming from Charlie Steinberg initially. Gerhard went on to develop C Lab notator which over time developed into the version Logic we know today.  Charlie developed Cubase as we know it today.  Two great DAW's developed by two great people.  Lengeling went onto later to develop Garage Band which is also great program.  Especially for younger students learning the basics of music production. 

By simply switching platforms onto a Mac, one can also enjoy Logic which is also a deep and super powerful beast of a program as well.  All it takes is to connect a powerful audio interface to an iMac (USB or thunderbolt) and you have the basis for a super powerful and trouble free music production system.  Most audio interfaces sport hardware midi ports. Thunderbolt is excellent for super low latency making integrating virtual instruments a breeze now.  Logic sports excellent midi timing with is use of Active Midi Transmission though great interfaces such as Emagic hardware like Unitor 8. Logic's audio and midi timing and sync are rock solid too. 

Studio One handles external midi timing with accuracy and tightness. Especially in relation to audio/midi timing.  The gapless audio engine has inherited a dose of both of those inventors.  It has an excellent audio/midi engine especially for looping.  All three DAW's handle that well as are many others entering the scene now. Programs like Studio One can grow fast from the experiences of what has happened before them. It too has not stopped development and will more the likely witness a powerful jump in features with a pending V4 update.

There are some rather interesting DAW's too such as Mixbus which is gaining all the time. They are building on the midi side of that program. It has a very different approach to its design. Well worth considering. Offers a mixer, multitrack analog environment rather well. Might appeal to some more. Other players such as Digital Performer, Samplitude and BitWig are adding to the choices now.

Interesting background info ...

Frank-US
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/24 10:37:52 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

Charlie Steinberg and Gerhard Lengling were connected at one stage in history. Gerhard I believe learning sequencer programming from Charlie Steinberg initially.

Yep, that story is true.

Jeff Evans
Programs like Studio One can grow fast from the experiences of what has happened before them. It too has not stopped development and will more the likely witness a powerful jump in features with a pending V4 update.

You're right here. If the foundation is done, features can be added much faster. Until the cycle of code erosion chimes in.
I'm not saying that Studio One is not a fine program. I'm just saying that it is hard to catch up with the ones, that are a long time in the market.
Frank-US
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/24 10:49:09 (permalink)
azslow3

Re-building is sometimes less problematic then historically collected dirt inside the code, especially if the one who produced it is no longer there (or simply no longer remember why it is there).

Usually code (that even has been written from scratch) is getting old and cumbersome after 3 to 4 years. There has to be a constant re-write under the hood. So, being longer than four years in the market, the advantage of "fresh" code is gone. Every company has to deal with that problem.

azslow3
No doubt Cubase has collected some Sonaries  (and will collect more). But I guess far from everyone. And it comes from "customers demand". For me that was:
b) no ARA (I know there is own "product", but it is not Melodyne)

B) Is on our list
D) Won't happen 

Best,
Frank
azslow3
Re: A Solid Migration Plan to another DAW 2018/01/24 12:20:33 (permalink)
Frank-US
B) Is on our list

So it seems like upcoming API has convinced more DAWs then S1 oriented first release 
It is going to be the first technological move which Sonar will be unable to follow

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1