A Walk With a Fungi (Psychedelic rock influenced by Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb)

Author
Ignitetheairwaves
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 104
2011/05/06 12:09:13 (permalink)

A Walk With a Fungi (Psychedelic rock influenced by Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb)

My buddy and I just finished writing and mastering this track and were hoping to get some feedback and constructive criticism if possible.  What do you guys think?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=842288&songID=10608555

Any recommendations on levels or EQ that blatantly stand out or should be adjusted?

This was produced with Sonar 8.0 Producer, with Reason 4.0 Rewired.  The drums are from reason, so is the sub bass and electric piano in the intro.  The guitar tones come from a Digitech GNX3 pedal, which is cheap but very nice.

We have lyrics, but think that the song is good just the way it is.  The lyrics are:

There is a light
Distant, surreal
It is your guide
The music can heal

Let it draw you in
Let the pain and discord wash away
Just close your eyes
And follow me

Let it free your mind
Let the pain of this world melt away
There is nothing to fear
Just close your eyes
Just close your eyes
And you will see

Thanks for listening :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=842288

edirol ua-25, dual 19" samsung monitors, shure ksm27 mic, m-audio 88 key, fender guitar and bass, m-audio bx5a monitor speakers.

3 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:A Walk With a Fungi (Psychedelic rock influenced by Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb) 2011/05/06 13:44:41 (permalink)
    Not that I know anything but here are my observations after two consecutive listens.

Seems well played and captured has as you mention a Floydesqu sound and feel.

The Wind noise is to loud when the guitar comes in then stops abruptly, would be better to fade behind the guitar then fade away to nothing.  The two guitars could do with some separation in the sound-stage.

The the verb on the drums is OTT in my opinion.

The opening section after the intro sounds like it need something probably the lyrics.

My ears and my meters tell me its is very right channel biased.

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:A Walk With a Fungi (Psychedelic rock influenced by Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb) 2011/05/06 18:02:20 (permalink)
    this is pretty cool!  I'm a child of the 70's-80's so this type of music is right up my alley!

the wind sound should be ducked a lot more when the guitar starts in the intro.  it gets overpoweringly loud.  you've not got a lot of stereo space working here.  I realize you're minimal on instruments, but you still could make better use of the stereo field.  the drums are really the only thing panned and everything else is mostly centered/mono.

I'd really like to hear the lyrics on this once you get that done.

good job, I really like the backdrop you've created, can't wait to hear the finished work!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:A Walk With a Fungi (Psychedelic rock influenced by Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb) 2011/05/08 14:56:35 (permalink)
    It's a pretty nice vibe you've got going there. Definitely needs some more realistic drums to do it justice though. It's a nice long and steady build which is cool. The hihat is a little chrunchy compared to the other drums on these wee speakers which kind of puts it in a different space. Not sure if you intended that or not.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1