Helpful ReplyA good read on the art of mastering

Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2016/05/23 17:49:03 (permalink)

A good read on the art of mastering

Not really insightful or technical or anything like that, just a good read on what mastering is for the layman.

http://pitchfork.com/feat...rt-of-mastering-music/

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
kakku
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1646
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/06/03 23:49:29 (permalink)
That was an interesting read, thanks (although I did not read all of it now I plan to do so later).

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
kakku
sven450
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 945
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/06/04 09:41:05 (permalink)
that was cool. thx.

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
Roland Octa-Capture            
Win 10 
i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
Some songs
Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
Originals:
 https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/06/04 16:35:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2016/06/05 13:32:47
Perhaps instead of reading articles trying to not explain how to master and to perpetuate the myth that it is a real dark art that only a few understand try reading an article that explains it instead.  I found this:

http://www.emusician.com/how-to/1334/master-class--the-art-of-mastering/45065

Also the Bob Katz book on mastering is also an excellent read.

It is not hard nor impossible to do.  I have mastered many CD's very successfully.  Yes there are some tricks involved for sure like any other part of the process but they can be learned and practiced.

Mastering a track is different to mastering a whole album that is for sure.  The good news is that if the mix is excellent very little mastering is actually required.  Very slight EQ, compression and limiting will do the trick.  It becomes much harder when the mix is bad though.

I find working with reference CD's is also important.  It can save a lot of time and stop you from going down the wrong path.  The client will have a very definite sound in mind that they are wanting you to achieve so it pays to find out what it is.

Also many great mastering engineers have also said that digital processing now is so good you do not have to come out into the analog world to do it either.  That is a myth.  With all the wonderful analog emulations we have around now it is very possible.  I have mastered all my CD's for my clients digitally and they sound excellent.  It is what you do with those processes that is far more important.  The only caveat here though is it pays to spend some serious money on quality plugins.  In some cases as much as what a DAW would cost but if you do it regularly and get paid for it then it is well worth it.

You do need a nice room with some nice speakers in it though.  You can master your own music too but you just have to leave plenty of time between the mix and the mastering.  I do like mastering other peoples mixes as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/06/05 15:46:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2016/06/19 19:47:27
Jeff Evans
Perhaps instead of reading articles trying to not explain how to master and to perpetuate the myth that it is a real dark art that only a few understand try reading an article that explains it instead.  I found this:

http://www.emusician.com/how-to/1334/master-class--the-art-of-mastering/45065

Also the Bob Katz book on mastering is also an excellent read.

It is not hard nor impossible to do.  I have mastered many CD's very successfully.  Yes there are some tricks involved for sure like any other part of the process but they can be learned and practiced.

Mastering a track is different to mastering a whole album that is for sure.  The good news is that if the mix is excellent very little mastering is actually required.  Very slight EQ, compression and limiting will do the trick.  It becomes much harder when the mix is bad though.

I find working with reference CD's is also important.  It can save a lot of time and stop you from going down the wrong path.  The client will have a very definite sound in mind that they are wanting you to achieve so it pays to find out what it is.

Also many great mastering engineers have also said that digital processing now is so good you do not have to come out into the analog world to do it either.  That is a myth.  With all the wonderful analog emulations we have around now it is very possible.  I have mastered all my CD's for my clients digitally and they sound excellent.  It is what you do with those processes that is far more important.  The only caveat here though is it pays to spend some serious money on quality plugins.  In some cases as much as what a DAW would cost but if you do it regularly and get paid for it then it is well worth it.

You do need a nice room with some nice speakers in it though.  You can master your own music too but you just have to leave plenty of time between the mix and the mastering.  I do like mastering other peoples mixes as well.

Hi Jeff,

Been a while....hope all is well, miss you brother....and I'm glad to see you still posting and helping people on here. :) I just wanted to share a few things which you'll probably have a laugh about.

Though you and I usually see eye to eye and you know my respect for you and your experience is second to none, I have to peacefully disagree with some of the stuff you mentioned above. I'll tell you why.

First, I think Katz book is over-rated and can lose a common person in 0.2 ms. LOL! I think you have to have a college degree to understand it, which I do not. However, though I am not a total idiot, I see his book as a smoke-screen that didn't teach me anything other than how eccentric Bob is as well as how he has the ability to sort of intimidate through intelligence while pushing his specialty gear. It's HE who has sort of made mastering more of a dark art than it needs to be.

I love the guy, have talked to him and even had him master one of my albums. I just don't think he is as good of a teacher as you or me when it comes to explaining things. I'm sure others will disagree with me since I'm a nobody and he is a Grammy winner. I give credit where it's due....he's a great mastering engineer. I just didn't get much out of his book or his teaching ability.  Anytime you have to read and re-read something over and over only to come away with "huh? I don't quite get it?" it's not delivered correctly. I'll be the first to admit I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.....but I don't see the need for wisdom and know-how to be masked behind big words and technical jargon that doesn't actually show cause, effect, or outcome. That's just me though.

You mentioned mastering not being hard to do/not impossible. Though this may be true in your realm and in mine, I do not think this is true for most of the home recording people of today. I've mentioned this several times, but when someone mixes a song and presses that export button, in their mind, they are done. Where do they even start if they don't know where to listen? How do you begin to master something that is already "done" in the ears of that particular beholder?

Most don't have the rooms or even the know-how to do this properly. Heck, if you get a chance to visit the songs forum, there are songs that are totally obliterated by people trying to master that over-master everything. That's not a bash, just an observation. Should people pay to have it done? Nah, only if they are releasing for sale. However, I just about always like hearing mixes that people DON'T attempt to master because they ALWAYS sound better. After a while, I get sick of loud mixes loaded with sub low end that just sound ruined.

And lastly, you mentioned reference CD's. I've never been more unhappy with reference material than I am today. I can't compare 70's classic rock to what I record in 2016 as much as I'd like to because I enjoy those mixes. I can't even compare mixes of today with the ones I create today because I simply don't like them, no matter WHO the grammy engineer is.

Today, we live in a world of no rules. I believe that mixes and masters are being done based on earbuds as quite a few do not sound good on real systems or in cars without extensive post mastering. I've stopped comparing and referencing mixes with what I do today simply because, if you listen to music today, everyone is doing their own thing. I hear hissy cymbals being acceptable, I hear loads of sub low bass, I still hear clipping and excessive loudness and a "who cares" type attitude from some music.

Also, referencing is difficult because we aren't using the same instrumentation. I know YOU know this, but others may not take it into consideration. I find it hard to even get a happy medium based on someone else's mix UNLESS you are working with similar material and instrumentation.

I'll never forget a client I had one time that insisted I master using a curve from another band. I told him that there was no way to reference that band let alone cop their curve with positive results. They made me do it using HAR-BAL. The results were beyond disappointing resulting in a new re-master. Even using the original band as a reference would have failed this band simply because their instrumentation was WAY different and so was their mix.

I sincerely believe this to be true with everything. I have gravitated towards "being me" and doing things until they sound right to my ears. I think I am a pretty good judge of mixing, mastering and making good decisions. Using reference material that has nothing to do with the instrumentation I am working with has done nothing but deter my performance past and present.

However, all of this is moot if someone doesn't know what a good mix is to begin with. But even there, a mastered work of a pro band has never really helped me. What HAS helped me is proper sound identification, flat monitors, and years of experience which includes loads of trial and error.

So in closing, I really don't think any of this is easy for people that aren't where guys like you and I are at this time. There are so many variables that contribute to this, it can make your head spin. Though in a sense, I DO agree with everything you have said being ME, (other than Katz) in the shoes of someone else not knowing what I know, I'd have to disagree. Hope you don't take any of this the wrong way as I have nothing but love and respect for you.

Speaking of mastering, I have quite a few things I have posted regarding it that I could share if anyone is interested. ;) You may not get any better at mastering, but I can assure you, you won't get lost with anything I say. LOL!

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Jeff Evans
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/06/05 16:22:53 (permalink)
Hi Danny no offense taken at all.  I always love your point of view too. 

I think with the Katz book yes I agree it does get very technical.  I should have pointed out that the stuff in the book that I found very good was more basic stuff like how to master a whole bunch of tracks and things like getting them to flow from one to the other.  Going from loud band tracks to acoustic tracks etc where there may only be one or two guitars and vocals.  It is easy for the acoustic stuff to end up louder than the band tracks.  You need to be a bit careful in that regard.  Stuff like that.  Other stuff like track order etc.. Amount of silence at the end of faded tunes compared to abrupt endings etc.. So although there is a lot of very deep technical stuff in there, that book also has some very good and basic stuff in there too.

With references I think I have been lucky in that regard in that the music where the client did give me a reference, the references sounded real nice.  On one recent album I mastered I had a very clean and pristine mix to begin with so I started going down a more clean and pristine route.  Making things sound clean and crisp etc.  It sounded great but the client hated it!  He gave some references and the whole sound of the reference was dull and retro and warm sounding.  The penny dropped then for me.  All I had to do was go that way too and in the end we ended up with a very nice sounding master and they were blown away.  It was the reference that shaped my direction.  I learned that even though a mix may have started off clean and pristine and it sort of was telling me that I had to keep going in that direction, (or so I thought see)  the reference shut that idea right down and then I started moving in the direction of the reference.  After a while I really got what the client was on about and actually love the sound of the tracks now.  So he was actually right and I was wrong.

I agree some references sound horrible and if I get a reference like that then I may not take it so seriously either.  I agree with you on that too.  I think then you have to do your own thing more and hope they like it.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/06/06 08:58:48 (permalink)
Danny hit the nail on the head - we amateurs hit export, and in our minds, we are done.  

But I would like to know what my tracks would sound like mastered.  Sounds expensive.  Suggestions?  I don't have the engineering skills, nor the interest, in learning that part myself.  I don't mind paying someone, but I have no idea what kind of expense I'm inviting....

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/06/07 08:19:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Voda La Void 2016/06/07 08:47:51
This site lets you get a free sample:
http://www.sageaudio.com/register.php
This  one has its rates posted...
http://www.audio-mastering-mixing.com/Mastering_Rates.html

Discmakers have been around a while:
http://www.discmakers.com/soundlab/pricing.asp

I have never used any of these...Me being just a hobbyist working within a limited budget...

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
sven450
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 945
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/06/07 13:13:04 (permalink)
Great conversation.  Thanks Danny and Jeff for being awesome.  Danny's point about reference material is spot on.  Music, like today's fashion or food or any other art, is all over the place.  There are no rules, there is only the creativity and know how to do what you want, and do it properly.  

For someone like me trying to mix and "master" my own songs, this can be very tough.  
Glass half empty:  no rules* makes learning the rules very tough
Glass half full: no rules makes options open for creative ideas and possible originality

* obviously there are some rules, but it is the wild west out there in terms of acceptable expectation

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
Roland Octa-Capture            
Win 10 
i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
Some songs
Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
Originals:
 https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
sharke
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/06/07 14:26:40 (permalink)
I have found the Katz book interesting in small doses - if I have half an hour to kill in the book store I always take it down off the shelf and have a nice sit down :)

But I have to admit I do get lost fairly quickly and couldn't imagine reading and absorbing the whole thing from cover to cover.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Danny Danzi
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/06/08 16:59:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Voda La Void 2016/06/17 13:51:21
Voda La Void
Danny hit the nail on the head - we amateurs hit export, and in our minds, we are done.  

But I would like to know what my tracks would sound like mastered.  Sounds expensive.  Suggestions?  I don't have the engineering skills, nor the interest, in learning that part myself.  I don't mind paying someone, but I have no idea what kind of expense I'm inviting....

It's really not even an amateur thing, Voda. If I can be honest with you...I myself sometimes have a problem mastering my own material simply because I'd never hit that export button if I wasn't happy. I usually leave limiting and final eq curves for mastering, which in my case is usually a slight high pass, maybe a little low pass or a mid bump or cut. I do such little mastering on my own stuff because I've done it all in the mix.

Realistically speaking, you guys have too. You don't need all the mastering that I hear in some songs. The other thing to consider is how far we go with the term "mastering".

It's more work for me to "master" an entire album making it sound coherent and leveled while choosing the right song to create the actual mastering curve than it is to literally master a song.

See, the other part of the mastering stage that gets missed is how we literally prepare an album for production. PQ sheets, ISRC codes, UPC/EAN codes, fade ins, fade outs, final limiting, dither, sample rate conversion, segues, and all the stuff that DOESN'T get talked about. Most music today does NOT need extensive mastering. Mastering is what ruins it.

The other stuff is what gets overdone. We get so close to our own material, we can't always make the right calls. It's really true. Then again, if you go through stages when you do this stuff and change hats while staying focused, you can usually do fairly well. But like I said before, even I sort of shake my head when mastering my own stuff...and I sort of know what I'm doing. :)

As for "what your stuff would sound like" I'd say "different" than if you did it yourself. I had a client once that did his own mastering for years and decided to try me. I thought I gave him an awesome master, and I mastered the song 3 times. He sent me his mastered version and wound up using his own.

In my opinion, his master was loaded with bass and excessive compression. BUT...that was what HE wanted and what HE felt he needed. So he will never use my services again and in his eyes, I failed him. In my eyes, he was too close to his own material to understand his track sounded over-processed and ruined.

Some people just don't know what to listen for. Louder isn't always better. More bass isn't always better. A mix that is not as loud that is mastered correctly, will go up and up and up without distortion. A mix that is mastered loud, stops at a certain point and will turn into distorted, jumbled audio if you keep turning it up.

A mix that is mastered with too much bass, will distort. A track mastered with the right bass can always have a little brought in via car eq to enhance if needed, and it should not distort. Doesn't everyone post master via car eq on everything anyway? LOL! I personally don't....all eq's in my vehicles and gear are set to flat and never move. If I have to move them, the mix/master needs to be improved. ;)

The other thing to consider is, most mastering facilities that offer free stuff or deals on things, are bogus. No matter who they are. They are using a general curve and boosting the volume making you think you got a good master. You can do what they do with a high pass, low pass and Sonar's Concrete Limiter. These free guys that give you 30 seconds or whatever for free crack me up.

For what it's worth, it would take me the same amount of time to master a 30 second clip as it would a 4 minute songs. The reason being....it's not the length (ugh, sounds sexual lol) that determines anything. The same eq curve I'd create using the same array of mastering plugins would take the same amount of time, roughly.

I still have to create the curve and choose the effects....and before I do that, I have to pre-master the song. This takes about 40 minutes to an hour or more depending on the song if I am REALLY doing my job. No mastering engineer that takes pride in his or her work can really do things the right way in under 30 minutes...and that's pushing it.

I'm probably too meticulous in what I do and could probably make more money if I cared less and used tools that auto removed artifacts and auto-leveled the audio. When I have, though some of those methods work for some things, something always seems to suffer because of using stuff like that. With my method, nothing suffers and no stone is un-turned.

But, by the time I scan the song(s) while keeping a log and the times where I've edited for pops, clicks, artifacts, hums, other oscillations and then manually level the audio so that I don't have to over compress, I've probably put in at the least, 20 minutes. And that's if things are super minimal. I've never done a pre master that was 10 minutes. It's always 20-40 at the least due to removing EVERY bad peak by hand.

Could I do it using a limiter? Sure...that's what all the others do....and your audio CAN suffer from this.I could use an auto hiss remover on things....but then we wonder why a piece in the middle where there is an acoustic guitar or something that can benefit from a nice high end frequency, now sounds more dull.

Nothing should ever be treated automatically. This is where you lose your dynamics if you are not careful and can pick up other artifacts. I'm always aware of every little snare hit, rim shot, stick hit on a drum mic, guitar pick against a body, singer's teeth hitting the mic and all the other things the engineer failed to address. That's what a mastering engineer is supposed to listen for. Do it right, or don't do it at all. I can sleep sound every night knowing I've never ripped off a soul and have poured my all into their material.

As for it being expensive? For the most part, the good mastering guys charge about $100+ per song depending on what needs to be done. I don't think that's expensive when you consider how in depth one has to be to do this stuff. We are the last guys to touch the audio before it gets sent to duplication. We are chosen because we are trusted to make a difference for the better and anything less will not be acceptable.

I get paid for my ears alone due to the things I can hear that others may not. I can't tell you how many times I've saved people just because I heard things that were crucial that they either couldn't hear, or didn't realize at the time. You most likely will NOT get that type of service from guys that are offering discounted mastering. Then again, guys like that are fine if you are not releasing a product for sale. However, you have to ask yourself "how important is my music?" ;)

-Danny

My Site
Danny Danzi
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/06/08 17:01:36 (permalink)
sven450
Great conversation.  Thanks Danny and Jeff for being awesome.  Danny's point about reference material is spot on.  Music, like today's fashion or food or any other art, is all over the place.  There are no rules, there is only the creativity and know how to do what you want, and do it properly.  

For someone like me trying to mix and "master" my own songs, this can be very tough.  
Glass half empty:  no rules* makes learning the rules very tough
Glass half full: no rules makes options open for creative ideas and possible originality

* obviously there are some rules, but it is the wild west out there in terms of acceptable expectation

Well said, sven. That is exactly how I look at things. Keep the rules set on things that you know are blatantly obvious. Experiment and be you on everything else. :)

My Site
Voda La Void
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/06/17 13:35:41 (permalink)
Thanks, Danny, for such a complete post.  Given me a bit to think about.  I'll probably look to mastering once I get this project completed, this time.  And I'll have to be careful about who I choose, because I definitely want to avoid the auto-magic processing flow chart system.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/06/27 15:01:24 (permalink)
This thread is great!!

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
Jeff Evans
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/06/27 16:08:40 (permalink)
That last long post from Danny was great. SO much true information. Just want to share from another perspective. I have mastered my own material often and as I have said I find I can leave a week. That is the hard part I think. Who wants to wait around for a week. I hear it much fresher then and can make some usually good EQ and limiter settings.

I like the idea of putting the compressor over the mix and leaving it at that for the pre mastered mix.  Some light conditioning (I love that word. a good Danny word to describe something) ie mixing into a 2 buss compressor can be interesting and I find leads to a loud but dynamic and snappy master later on.

I think it is also interesting to get into the mix knowing you are going to master later on. If you have a clear idea of the sound of the final master you can well shape the mix to achieve it earlier on. And add some 2 buss compression over it to start with.

My car system sounds huge and excellent but I know it is not accurate. But I do know how the bottom end of very nice commercial masters sound and it is the perfect blend of depth eg deeper sounding bass and punch just up from there. When my teeth rattle in the car with say one of my mixes I know I need to get back in the studio and tame some excessive deep subby notes coming from somewhere etc..

Danny is so right about how a well mastered punch snappy dynamic mix will go louder up and up without breaking up. And PA's are one area where this really also holds true. I have been testing PA and speakers a bit lately and doing it with a well mastered CD.  My Steely Dan reference. Either of the last two CD's is a perfect reference. And to me it does not matter about the genre you are either going to do a live mix, or mix a track in your studio, a really nice reference like that will still tell you a lot about how the speakers and the room acoustics are sounding. Turn this up to no matter how loud even extreme high volumes and this CD still sounds nice and sweet! And it kicks even better up there! It feels like there is no limit as to how loud things could be turned up.  (just for reference those CD's are mastered around -11 dB FS rms (1 db louder than the K-12 broadcast reference) with a DR of around 10. Just enough snap to keep everything alive and well.)

It usually takes me an hour to master a track. And the time can go quick. I think all you have to do is really focus and listen in to the details of the music.  Do what Hi Fi enthusiasts can do. Ignore all the music for a moment and really listen to the sound of things.  How much compression is there and does it need any more and if so what type.  Is the EQ all sounding great. Now let’s make it louder with a limiter but do it carefully. How snappy (transients again!) is everything before and after limiting etc.. (Just use PSP Xenon and tell it how much louder you want to go!! LOL!)

What I find a bit distressing is when the client you are mastering for insists you just go that little bit louder but in doing so you know and can hear you are losing a bit of dynamics and punch. It is starting to sound like that sound Danny suggests, that not so good can’t get louder without the mix sounding distorted and crunchy. Turning that up loud just results in an unplesant sound hitting your ears.

sharke
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/06/27 19:54:35 (permalink)
Jeff Evans 
I like the idea of putting the compressor over the mix and leaving it at that for the pre mastered mix.  Some light conditioning (I love that word. a good Danny word to describe something) ie mixing into a 2 buss compressor can be interesting and I find leads to a loud but dynamic and snappy master later on.

One of the first things I do in a project, not even at the mixing stage but at the initial composing/arranging stage, is to through a compressor (The Glue) on the master bus. I've heard a lot of people say it's a good idea to mix into a 2-bus compressor but I like to write into it as well, especially when making music that has a strong kick keeping the groove. Just getting that little bit of needle bounce from the kick gets my foot tapping from the very start and definitely inspires me to keep working on the track. 

James
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/06/30 12:00:13 (permalink)
Wow...another great thread guys.  Great stuff!

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/07/04 17:10:41 (permalink)
This is a great thread. 
We have so many great engineers and producers here. It is so helpful to read about their experience.
For me, I highly recommend doing mix comparisons until you really understand your own system.
There are many modern songs that sound great IMO. The idea is to listen to pro mixes in your different environments so that you understand your mixing environment. 
Then, when you put up your own mix don't be afraid to compare. You might learn a lot about yourself. 
There is really no way to copy another's mix but maybe you will hear a tighter bottom end or cleaner highs. 
Maybe you will see how others like to mix drums vs. vocals depending on the genre. 
The main point being there really is tons to learn from others.
Engineers and producers develop their good ears through experience with includes their own work and also listening very carefully to others. 
That's why I like the song forums. It is fun and interesting to hear what others do. 

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/07/05 04:56:50 (permalink)
Gosh, mastering isn't a black art...yes it takes a while to learn...but as you long as follow a few rules and or a formula...you can master mastering.  It took me 15 years lol, but I'm confident I could master almost anything.
First, use a Linear Phase EQ and cut some top and bottom end...around 40hz and 18khz...but listen and you will hear.  Use a spectrum analyser to help you hear what your cutting.  If the mix is too muddy, cut some at 400hz.

Next, set-up your gain stage on the master buss...just remember each track you add to a mix adds to the overall level of the track.  If you aren't going over too much, you wont have any problems, but when you master you need at least 3-4 db of headrooom...after I've mixed I usually have to turn the main bus gain down anywhere from -3 to -9 db.

Then if you're really tricky like me, I like the Pro Channel tape emulator to help soften the transients...remember lightly as you go.  Then if you're like me and you've used the console emulator, place this over the top of the tape emulator.  Next use the Pro Channel EQ set to pure.  And brighten the top end, and add some bass, carve out any problems.  Watch the analyser again and it will tell you where to add to the mix...but also use your ears to learn what you are listening for.

Next a compressor, I like H-Comp by Waves because it has 4 different characteristics.  The release also can be set to the BPM of the host.  When setting the attack time, think about the drum transient or the thickest transient you're trying to compress.  Oh and then re-gain the compressor making sure you're not going over -3db...sticking with the -3db of headroom rule.

Next, I like to be tricky and I use Waves Kramer Master tape...this helps fatten transients, an issue in the digital realm.  Again set the gain up, and here's the trick...return any gain you've subtracted at the compression stage via the output level (it might be the record level...I can't quite picture it in my head).  The wow and flutter can be used to help with the transients and the hiss control helps the high end perk through...now this of course does create hiss, but this is the analogue emulation aesthetic, and is part of the flavor.  I've done extensive research on this as part of my Phd ;).

Next an EQ probably stick with the Linear Phase EQ...and hunt for the formant of the track...I can't give you rough EQ settings because its different for each track, but listen when the track has a bit of sparkle...I'd say air but the formant may be lower.

Finally a brickwall limiter, and again Sonar's Concrete Limiter is excellent, I use the soft-clip because it's part of the analogue emulation aesthetic.  If you find you have too much bottom end, back off the bass on the main EQ...it's better to let the soft-clip give bass punch, because it's what everyone loves from that era.   

Here is a master I prepared earlier https://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks/when-every-song-is-sung-ill-still-love-you
its a cover of a lost George Harrison track, which Ringo did a version of and George sued.  I've applied the above formula to this track. Now, I've could have squashed this track more and joined in the loudness wars, but I prefer to stick with the new luffs rules and this track conforms to this.

Danny is right, about one thing, which is if you're going to send a signal in and out of the box...then the above formula won't work.  For obvious reasons.  But in this day and age, and with a proper analouge emulation technique you don't need to.  http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2016/07/04/want-to-graduate-in-the-same-iconic-studios-the-beatles-recorded-their-albums-in/ read this if you want to understand why.  It's in the the console paradigm is dead, we're now teaching the analogue emulation technique...although they don't say that...it's in between the lines.

Finally, remember I've only given you the formula...for each section of the formula there is a variation...and again this is I think what Danny is talking about.  And learning to hear what you're listening for, without a person like Danny teaching you means you will spend 15 years like me hunting.  So in this way, both Jeff and Danny are correct.

Enjoy Peace and Love Ben   
post edited by BenMMusTech - 2016/07/05 05:18:19

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
robbyk
  • Total Posts : 705
Re: A good read on the art of mastering 2016/07/05 21:45:38 (permalink)
I'm not sure if this will add a lot to the dynamics of the thread but I follow Rob Williams a bit and the prosound formula, much of it is free (mixing, mastering) and I find it a nice addendum to Groove 3 tutorials and all my YouTube subs...

Just yesterday, he sent me this, http://prosoundformula.com/how-to-master-a-song/ (30 minute video)

Scroll down to "Download the 7 Step Mastering Formula Infographic" and it's a nice and free pdf file, which I find informative...

I may take a crack at mastering if I get the time and e.g. ARC and the Lurssen Mastering Console, etc. just for my own enjoyment (but use a mastering engineer for promising work).

But, so much to do in the summertime :)

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1