A good weekend in store.

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2017/05/11 19:06:18 (permalink)

A good weekend in store.

Tomorrow evening I am off to Tavistock to see Mostly Autumn at the Wharf Theater, I am really looking forward to seeing them again as their last Album "Sight of Day" was so good. Olivia and Bryan (Josh) are expecting a baby soon so it may be their last tour for a while.

Saturday I will be at the Dart Music Festival in Dartmouth. This is always good with an eclectic collection of acts in many venues throughout the town. The problem is there is knowing what to watch, but if something proves disappointing one can move to the next venue.  Last year I saw some very good folk acts, a Welsh male voice choir, which was excellent and a number of rock and pop acts. This year I may try to catch some more of the classical artists. It’s a free festival reliant on donations. Its astounding how many people you hear complain about paying £5 for a program.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud

2 Replies Related Threads

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re: A good weekend in store. 2017/05/12 13:58:15 (permalink)
    Sounds like you're in for a great time!  I hope you discover something/someone new.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: A good weekend in store. 2017/05/15 19:01:22 (permalink)
    Mostly Autumn were excellent as usual. Olivia is heavily pregnant but it did not seem to slow her down much and her voice was on top form. For a band with such a large back catalogue there is always a lot to choose from and the sets were well planned. Old favourites like "Evergreen" mixed in with stuff from the new album and the inevitable but excellent "Heros Never Die" encore. As much as I enjoy these small venues they are certainly a band who deserve to be playing to much larger crowds.

Saturday at the Dart Music festival was dampened by the weather, late afternoon it came in cold and wet. This year there were fewer classical acts which was a shame.

Earlier when the sun was still shining I really enjoyed the mostly original blues-rock of Kris Barras , not so the annoying blokes stood behind who complained they did not know any of the songs  No wonder the world seems to be dominated by tribute bands.

Chaz Thorogood put on a good show in the old riverside fort which seemed particularly popular with some of the younger element. Again it was slightly marred by people talking noisly in the background.

We went to see Daughters of Elvin in the church. Or some of them as the hammer dulcimer and viol players were absent. Its "carefully researched" Medieval music and very well preformed I found it intresting but it did send my wife to sleep! It was a bizare moment when a dancer dressed as a unicorn came out, it seemed a bit pagan for the church. I think they would have been a lot better if they had all the members giving them a wider range of instruments.

We were quite enjoying one of the unoffical acts playing on the street, a trio of cigar box guitar, cajon and digeridoo when they joined by another digeridoo/ percussion duo for an inpromptu jam. This was great fun.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1