A little guitar and bongo number

Author
jetmech
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
2008/10/21 01:31:37 (permalink)

A little guitar and bongo number

After a little over two years of guitar lessons at the ripe old age of 50, I think I'm starting to understand this music theory stuff a bit better.

I'm also trying to learn the ins and outs of Sonar and digital recording at the same time. Some times I think I've bitten off more then I can chew, but it sure is fun when it starts making some sence.

Anyway, here's something I recorded recently with me playing two seperate guitar tracks and Sonar Jazz World loops for the bongos . Let me know what you think.

It's called "Sanctuary"

Sanctuary

Sonar Home Studio 6XL
Pentium Core 2 Quad Q6600 4 Gigs Ram
Windows XP Pro (SP3)
KRK Gen 2 Rokit 8 monitors
Toneport UX2 interface
EZDrummer/Pod Farm
Axiom 49 midi keyboard
Various amps and guitars

12 Replies Related Threads

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: A little guitar and bongo number 2008/10/21 11:47:07 (permalink)
    Well, I had to stop in and listen as I read one guitar and bongo. I'm a big fan of simplicity in music. Not bad for a 50 yr. old!! LOL! I'm 55 son!! Ya know, for only 2 yrs, of guitar practice, this is a well performed tune! I think I was still figuring out the fingering for a 'D' chord then!! Recording wise, my ears wopuld've liked to hear a little less effect used on the guitar, but that's just a personal preference only...

Welcome to the forum Harry and this is a great first posted song. I love the chord changes in this and the composition as well . It certainly sounds like you've been playing a helluva lot longer friend! Be proud of this!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    jetmech
    RE: A little guitar and bongo number 2008/10/21 12:17:51 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for taking the time to listen. I'm glad you enjoyed the tune.

I stopped by your sound click web site and listened to Universal Travel and all I can say it WOW! I hope I can some day reach that level of musicianship. Was that all recorded on Sonar?

As far as the effects I used go, I use a Line 6 Toneport interface and play thru the included Gearbox effects so they're applied prior to recording. I'm not a big fan of the effects included with Sonar Home Studio so that's why I use the Gearbox stuff. Unfortunately, I can't manipulate the effects after recording so that is a draw back. Line 6 sells the same effects as a VST plug in, so I may step up and purchase them soon. It would certainly give me way more flexibility.

I recently learned some 9th and 11th cords, and it's opened up a whole new musical world to me. I tried to use some of them in this song so I appreciate that you noticed the cord changes. I've got a terrific instructor who has insisted on teaching me theory. It makes the going a bit slow at first, but once things start making sence, it's pretty exciting.

Thanks again for listening. I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of Slow Marching Band's sound click tunes.

Sonar Home Studio 6XL
    Windows XP Pro (SP3)
    Toneport UX2 interface
    EZDrummer/Pod Farm
    Axiom 49 midi keyboard
    Various amps and guitars
    Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: A little guitar and bongo number 2008/10/21 15:03:10 (permalink)
    Blimey

That's completely inspirational I just figured there's no hope of me ever playing a guitar because I'm the same age and along you come and blow my theory out of the water.

This is an excellent little ditty and a really nicely recorded clean jazzy sound.

I'm really impressed even though you've completely destroyed my feeble alibi...

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: A little guitar and bongo number 2008/10/21 15:14:27 (permalink)
    Awesome tone you got there
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: A little guitar and bongo number 2008/10/21 15:30:38 (permalink)
    Nice soothing song. I would bring up the bongos a tad though. Sweet playing.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    jetmech
    RE: A little guitar and bongo number 2008/10/21 18:57:50 (permalink)
    Jonbouy, i
    t's never too late to learn! I'm only sorry I didn't start sooner. I stopped by your site and gave Easy Piecey a listen. Really cool tune. I like the eastern influence on the sax part. Very nice composition and mix. There are some amazingly tallented people in here. Thanks for giving my tune a listen.

jamesyoyo,

I'm glad you liked the tone. I'm a big Pat Metheny fan and I am constantly trying to emulate his tone. I hope I came close.

No How,

Thanks for listening. I'm still trying to finialize the mix. I'm using KRK Rokit 5 desk top monitors and I don't think they're really representitive of what I can expect to hear on a typical stereo system. After listening to it in my car a few times, I'm thinking a few tweaks are in order.
    post edited by jetmech - 2008/10/21 21:34:15

Sonar Home Studio 6XL
    Windows XP Pro (SP3)
    Toneport UX2 interface
    EZDrummer/Pod Farm
    Axiom 49 midi keyboard
    Various amps and guitars
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: A little guitar and bongo number 2008/10/21 19:45:23 (permalink)
    +1 on turning up the bongos a bit. I loved the tone on guitar - you're spot-on in emulating a Metheny-like tone. Nice job.

Cheers,
    Doug

Taylor_514CMy Music:

drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: A little guitar and bongo number 2008/10/21 20:17:56 (permalink)
    That was a really relaxing tune. A nice sounding mix and excellent tone on the guitar. I've been playing guitar, well trying to play for some time now and I still only know three chords. GREAT JOB!

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    RE: A little guitar and bongo number 2008/10/21 21:02:15 (permalink)
    Beautiful piece. I agree that the congas need to be louder, and I would humbly suggest lowering the slap echo on them.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: A little guitar and bongo number 2008/10/21 21:24:09 (permalink)
    Harry, nice playing for only a couple years. I'd bring the bongos up a little. The panning seemed odd, but I think the pan was ok, but maybe the guitar tracks need widened so the two guitars feel more simultaneous. Perhaps just adding some perfect space or other verb to the master would bring them onto the same stage.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    jetmech
    RE: A little guitar and bongo number 2008/10/22 10:44:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the positive comments and suggestions.

I think I'm going to try and pan the congas hard left and the rythm guitar hard right with the lead in the center. That may help the congas stand out a bit more. Right now I have them centered, with the guitar tracks paned left and right. That may be why the congas sounds a bit lost in the mix.

Sonar Home Studio 6XL
    Windows XP Pro (SP3)
    Toneport UX2 interface
    EZDrummer/Pod Farm
    Axiom 49 midi keyboard
    Various amps and guitars
    spacey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: A little guitar and bongo number 2008/10/22 21:44:53 (permalink)
    Very nice tones. Enjoyed listening.

Michael
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1