Helpful ReplyA (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/02 17:48:42 (permalink)
Don't think I am being a bit snobbish here but I wish you had BFD3. You would go nuts! 

Best
John
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/02 17:59:59 (permalink)
I do intend to upgrade from Eco to 3 at some point but it's pricey and I've got quite a few quality drum options as is so I can definitely get things done. These new AD kits are sounding very very cool. I just wish the interface wasn't so weird. I like the old interface better. More compact, less blinking/flashing/unnecessary weirdness. I have the attention span of gnat on speed so that type of stuff is rather disorienting and frankly does not seem very professional to me.

But it sounds good... really good... and I haven't even done any tweaking yet.
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/07 18:37:18 (permalink)
Okay... just a quick update.

I've spent most of the day doing the tracking I originally said I was going to do at the start of this thread (well some of it then I started doing reinforcement tracks for other stuff... but yeah, been tracking most of the day).

My report... nothing really, which is good. Everything is working fine. I was tracking like a lunatic and there were no hiccups, blurbles, warbles or other glitches. No weird noises or distractions. No graphical glitches (aside from one time where the was a divider line in the console that didn't redraw after scrolling around but it corrected itself almost immediately). Everything was fast and responsive.

Essentially my HUGE project that was started in X3 (and was getting a little sluggish in X3) is snappy and doing what it's supposed to (touch wood). Opening, closing and saving this behemoth seems to be quicker without the temprorary whitescreens (if I have the AV disabled but if not the whitescreens are maybe a second or two whereas before they were sometimes 5 seconds or more).

Generally the massive feeling of apprehension I used to have about doing stuff in X2 was drastically reduced with X3 and now in Platinum is, thus far, melting almost completely away. Don't want to get too cocky though but it's a nice feeling.

In this session I was mostly tracking but there was some cloning, rough mixing, Ctrl copying VSTs from bin to bin (which has caused crashes for me in the past even in X3)... all of which was smooth. I even changed some track outputs (changing from one bus to another) with transport going which normally would be a bad idea but it only resulted in a split second moment of silence and then transport continued.

The only new "feature" that I really made access of today was the new Docking method. Yesterday I had posted a thread asking how the heck we were supposed to drop VSTs into the multidock because just dragging it to the dock was not working... at all. John helpfully let me know we now need to hold Ctrl while docking. At first this didn't make sense to me and I wondered why the heck they would change something like that. Well as I was working today I remembered how often I've just been moving things around (with no intention of docking said things) and had them hook into the dock inadvertently. This of course pops open the dock and/or switches the currently in focus dock item to the new item. Then you have drag the thing you didn't want docked out of the dock and set your session back up as it was. Not a big deal but it was rather distracting when you are in the "zone". Now that we have to hold Ctrl to dock that no longer happens. I do not know if this is the reason why they did this but I'm assumign it is and if so it is a subtle but very nice touch. I'm sure some people won't like that but maybe there is a feature to change it back to the old way.

Anyway... that's probably not an exciting report but to me not exciting when doing mundane general tasks is pretty much what I want. I'm sure I'll pee myself with glee once I get a chance to try out some of the more flashy toys and I'll be sure to let you all know about my crotchular moisture when that transpires.

Cheers.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: A (not so) Complete Beginner's Adventures With Sonar Platinum... 2015/03/07 18:50:36 (permalink)
You are right Beep. It is the reason ctrl + drag does it now.  It was annoying to many the way it was. So CW changed it. I think its much better now. 

Best
John
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1