A problem with my new Audiophile USB

Author
songwriter18
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
2005/06/08 20:58:09 (permalink)

A problem with my new Audiophile USB

The Audiophile USB is installed to my laptop and shows up OK on the control panel stuff. But it doesn't record and I am getting a bad message. I also wonder if I have the right lashup for the Audiophile.

The new unit is an M-Audio Audiophile USB.

The computer is a Toshiba Satellite laptop, 2455-S305, running Windows XP Home. P4, 2.40GHz, 60 GB HDD, 512MB DDR. A Yamaha PST-275 keyboard synthesizer has been attached via a USB cable. I have ordered Midi cables to take the keyboard directly to the Audiophile. The external sound has been an inexpensive Altec-Lansing unit, with a subwoofer, connected to the headphone jack of the Toshiba. A EuroRack UB502 is attached to the Line-In jack of the Toshiba. A Shure PG58 mike is attached to the EuroRack.

As to software, I have Home Studio XL but it is not important to this phase of my work. I am doing all audio at the moment and use Total Recorder for recording and playing single tracks. I use MixCraft 2 by Acoustica for mixing several audio tracks and burning CD's. As to sound units, I have Audiophile vanilla and Audiophile Midi available, as well as Total Recorder and SoundMax. I reinstalled Windows XP and did not get an audio unit reinstalled. I downloaded SoundMax from Toshiba but suspected there was something wrong with it. The recording level of audio from the Shure mike via the Eurorack was clipped at about 50% and I could not adjust it in any fashion. It had worked satisfactorily prior to the reinstall, using input from the MIC jack on the Toshiba. I didn't want to futz with this problem, so I upgraded to the Audiophile.

This is such a jumble that I almost would toss it. But I will try to salvage something.

Total Recorder will not record anything from the Eurorack Line-In now, although it would, albeit poorly, before I installed Audiophile.

I do seem to have a little problem. The MixCraft volume control routine said, "There is a problem with your sound hardware. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel and Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware." I got this same message from another routine, maybe Total Recorder. So, I went to Printers and Other Hardware and did not have an Add Hardware button to click, just an Add Printer option. Which got me nowhere.

Does Audiophile require a certain type of recorder? What might be an inexpensive instance of such? Or is there something wrong about Audiophile even though it looks OK in Device Manager?

As to Playback, I can get sound through the Audiophile headphones and I suppose that the Altec Lansing would also if I got the proper adapter. I suppose playback is OK and the problem is in recording.

Would it help to ask what would be proper acoutrements to the Audiophile. What for audio recording? It seems to me that Home Studio does not do audio in the most enjoyable manner. What about an inexpensive monitor better than the $35 Altec Lansing from WalMart?

Anybody want to tackle this kludge?"

4 Replies Related Threads

songwriter18
    RE: A problem with my new Audiophile USB 2005/06/08 23:45:29 (permalink)
    I've had no hits on my yucky Audiophile problem and I don't blame anyone. In fact, I wonder if it might not be an XP problem rather than an Audiophile problem. I had no problems until a malware attack caused me to have to reinstall XP. Perhaps something went wrong with the reinstall. And, on the other hand, I also installed Service Pack 1 and 2 and some other stuff, and maybe something went wrong with that. Anyhow, the first signs of the problem were after all these reinstalls.

Perhaps I should again reinstall. This is not guaranteed to be an easy thing. I had to argue with Microsoft's outsource in India last time. I don't think Toshiba gave me XP cds when I bought the two laptop computers. When the first one went bad I thought I had lost the XP CDs and I paid $100 for another one. When the second computer went bad I re-used my purchased CD and after explaining and arguing, the Indian Outsource let me do it. If I reinstall, I suppose I will have to reactivate. If Microsoft won't let me use the XP CD for both computers, as they did last time, I guess I will try to get Toshiba to do what they should have done at time of purchase: give me an XP CD.

Anyhow, it may not be a problem with Audiophile.

Any comment now?
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: A problem with my new Audiophile USB 2005/06/09 00:16:20 (permalink)
    Wow! I've just read your posts three times, and I still can't get a "picture" of your setup...My initial inclination is that you're complicating matters by overdoing certain steps...

First of all, do you know--for a fact!--that the M-Audio USB install was successful? It's tricky with XP because Microsoft doesn't "recognize" the drivers as "certified". Try uninstallng the Audiophile (using Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs) and reinstalling...Take care to follow the installation instructions to the letter. Make sure the Audiophile is turned off and NOT connected to your USB port on the computer before beginning the install. During the install you will get to a window telling you to "power on" the USB device & connect the USB cable to your computer (or vice versa, I can't remember)...Anyway, once you're connected wait for the Windows "New Hardware Detected" window to appear...Click on "Search for latest drivers" (or whatever it says) then click on "I have disk" (or whatever it says) and let Windows find the drivers from the disk...Only after the Windows "New Hardware Detected" process has completely finished should you click on the "next" (or "finish") button of the M-Audio auto-installer. It's a bit confusing when reading the manual's "installation" section but I figured it out thru trial & error...

After you have ascertained a successful install, open CW & go to Options->Audio->General...Click on "Wave Profiler"...CW will look for the Audiophile drivers and configure them to work with your system.

Let me know if any of this works!

Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: A problem with my new Audiophile USB 2005/06/09 01:37:02 (permalink)
    Okay, having read your original post again here's one point of contention...You have the EuroRack plugged into the "Line In" of the computer soundcard? No, no, no...The EuroRack output should be connected to the "Line In" of the Audiophile. The Audiophile's USB connection sends audio out from the soundcard to whatever DAW system you are using (presuming it is configured properly)...Send the Audiophile's audio "Output" to the "Stereo Tape Input" of the EuroRack...That way you can monitor your previously recorded tracks whilst adding new material...Your instruments (keyboards, guitars, etc.) and mics should be plugged into the proper mic/line inputs of the Eurorack...Everything should work fine like that...

However, if you are trying to monitor your audio through computer speakers, we may have a problem...The speakers are, more than likely, active speakers (meaning they need a power supply to drive the built-in amplifier section--nowadays, usually a USB port)...They must also have an audio source connected (Same USB connection?? I'm not sure)...I openly admit I have had absolutely NO experience with this...I have always monitored externally via mixer "control room" output->power amp-> reference monitors...

I have never used the PC speakers included with every computer I have owned for any DAW work at all...I do have a set of PC speakers connected to an old computer that I use for listening to various internet radio stations but they are plugged into the "Line Out" of the audio card of the MOBO...That computer isn't used for any DAW work so I'm not concerned with the sound quality of the PC speakers...

I will have to do some research (and deep thinking) about using the PC speakers for DAW applications with an external soundcard...I suppose you could purchase an adapter (probably a Y cable with 2 RCA plugs connected to "Tape Output" to a 1/8 stereo female mini phone connector you would plug the speakers mini phone plug into)...I'll have to give that some thought...(And I know very little about the EuroRack UB502's output capabilities...)...Perhaps another, more qualified, member of this forum could offer more insight than I have...

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    songwriter18
    RE: A problem with my new Audiophile USB 2005/06/09 14:06:13 (permalink)
    Thank you, Papa. Wilco. Will comply. I will reinstall. I did not do one of the things that you said I should do. And I am doing things that you say I should not do. I also will need to get adaptors to interface the Audiophile with what I have been using. My line-in plug will not work with the Audiophile jack, and neither will myAltec-Lansing sound system.

What monitor system, inexpensive, would work well with the Audiophile?

Life calls me to other things, so I shall not be back right away, but I will use your good advice.

Thanks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1