AnsweredA problem with the volume in Kontakt

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
vdvorn
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
2018/03/17 15:30:00 (permalink)

A problem with the volume in Kontakt

Hallo, I am not sure, if the the problem is a Kontakt problem only, or a Sonar problem also.

I use a Kontakt instrument called Trumpet Section from the Kontakt Faktory Library in the project. The problem is that any time I start Sonar the master volume control of the Instrument (a slider in the right upper corner of the Kontakt window) is set to minus 18 db, what makes the instrument inaudible.

I tried everything. First of all I put the volume to 0 db and saved the preset. But next time the same story. Then I followed the advice, went to Edit Mode of the instrument, then Instrument Options, then Controller and set Midi Controller 7 range to up to 0 db and save the preset. Again the same story. Then I proved, if I have some events in the track, which could force my volume to get down. Nothing...

The same story repeats with some other Kontakt instruments.

What could it be? Could anybody please help?
Klos Studios
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/17 19:17:35 (permalink)
Yes, I've been there as well.... very annoying!
The solution:
Go to Edit - Preferences
Go to Project - Midi
Go to "Other Options"
UNCHECK "Zero controllers when play stops"

That will leave the Kontakt volume alone.
I have to do it for every project. There may be a way
to set it up in files, but this has worked for me.

Let me know if that works for you.
Best Wishes

Klos Studios

klos-studios.com

Klos Studios
Sonar Platinum, RME Fireface, StudioCat Computer,
Windows 10
vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/17 19:46:10 (permalink)
Klos Studios,
thanks for the answer. I have unchecked the option, but unfortunately nothing has been changed... Again at the next start the master volume level of the instrument is back to minus 24 db...

I have 2 versions of Kontakt in Sonar, so I will try to put the instrument on another version and will see if it works...
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/17 20:35:00 (permalink)
Hi, vdvorn. Try going to the advanced tab on the Kontakt interface (on an actual instrument, in your case the trumpet). You will see a list where you can set controllers to specific numbers. Set the volume controller to 7. Then put in a CC event at the start of the piece, CC7=100 for example. 

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/17 20:41:42 (permalink)
michael diemer
Hi, vdvorn. Try going to the advanced tab on the Kontakt interface (on an actual instrument, in your case the trumpet). You will see a list where you can set controllers to specific numbers. Set the volume controller to 7. Then put in a CC event at the start of the piece, CC7=100 for example. 

Thank you for the answer, but will it be possible for me to regulate then the volume of the trumpet section on Consol View while mixing? If no, it could be not a very best solution, or?

vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/17 21:06:17 (permalink)
I just checked, that the problem exist on both of my versions of Kontak (usual and portable).

As for changing the volume controller to 100 I did not find the advanced tab, where I can do it...
Blogospherianman
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/17 21:11:05 (permalink)
Sounds to me like you have changed the volume of the Source Midi track for your Trumpet section or accidentally changed the Offset value of the volume of the Midi Source track.  Try the Midi track volume at 127 (Offset mode default is +101 so make sure that is what it says).  Press O to enter offset mode to check.  Midi Track volume will set the Volume slider upon playback regardless of what the slider is moved to or saved as.  With Midi track volume set to 127 (Offset default value of +101)  the Volume slider in Kontakt will read -6db.
vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/17 21:21:30 (permalink)
Blogospherianman
Sounds to me like you have changed the volume of the Source Midi track for your Trumpet section or accidentally changed the Offset value of the volume of the Midi Source track.  Try the Midi track volume at 127 (Offset mode default is +101 so make sure that is what it says).  Press O to enter offset mode to check.  Midi Track volume will set the Volume slider upon playback regardless of what the slider is moved to or saved as.  With Midi track volume set to 127 (Offset default value of +101)  the Volume slider in Kontakt will read -6db.

Thank you for the answer, but unfortunately I can not understand the message. Could you please tell me what to do step by step?
I have the volume of the track set to about minus 12 db, which is good when the master volume in Kontakt is set to 0 db. I have set master volume for the instrument by default to 0 db in Options by it still goes to minus 18 db (not 24 now) at the opening of the project...

PS I have set the volume CC of the midi track to 100, and it did change the volume of Kontakt to minus 6 db, but at the next load of the project it is again back to minus 18 db.

What is better to set as default master volume for Kontakt 0 db or minus 6 db? And how the volume CC of the track interacts with the Console volume slider?
post edited by vdvorn - 2018/03/17 21:47:09
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/17 22:47:45 (permalink)
I prefer to set Kontakt's volume scaling to 0 dB and insert a volume envelope on the MIDI track. That way, I'm in total control from the get-go. Plus I can do some coarse volume automation prior to rendering (fine volume automation happens after freezing the instrument).

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Blogospherianman
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/17 22:50:45 (permalink)
Sorry for any confusion, I'll try to make it clearer. You should have a Synth audio track for Kontakt which is where the audio comes out. You should also have a midi source track where you record the midi data feeding the Kontakt synth. On the Midi source track slide the volume in Sonar (just above pan and velocity) up to 127. You should see the Volume slider in Kontakt slide up to -6db. If it stays there on playback, great, problem solved. if it changes when you hit Play, then you may have automated the volume CC. If so, right click the volume envelope data and Delete envelope and try again. On the other hand, if you move the volume slider on the midi source track in Sonar up to 127 and the volume slider in Kontakt doesn't go all the way up to -6db, then you have likely entered 'Offset mode' and further offset the volume down. For example with the Sonar slider at 100 and the Offset mode Sonar volume slider at 80, Kontakt will snap to -18db just as you describe) To check Offset mode volume slider. Look at the Midi track Volume slider in Sonar, Press 'O' (as in The letter O) to enter Offset mode. When you press 'O' you will see Sonar's volume slider say Volume+. In this Offset mode the Volume+ should be set to 101. If it's not 101, set it to 101. Now press 'O' again. The Volume slider in Sonar should now say Volume (no + sign after the word Volume). This lets you know you are not in Offset mode anymore. Try sliding the Sonar Midi track volume slider up to 127. Again you should see the Kontakt slider slide up to -6db.

In recap, If there is no volume automation data on your midi source track, the midi source track volume slider in Sonar is set to 127 AND the Offset mode Volume+ slider in Sonar on the midi siurce track is set to 101, then the volume slider in Kontakt should remain at -6db. If not, double check all the stuff I just said, OR make sure you don't have other siurce tracks with different volumes pointing to that instance of Kontakt by mistake.

I find the -6db setting to work best as occaisionally I still have to lower the midi track volume to keep drums from hitting red within Kontakt.

Clear as mud? 😄 I hope I explained it better. I did test it on my computer using the same factory trumpet section for the test.
vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/17 23:17:17 (permalink)
Blogospherianman

Clear as mud? 😄 I hope I explained it better. I did test it on my computer using the same factory trumpet section for the test.

I start to feel myself stupid... :)

I open Kontakt Synth as a Simple Instrument track to make less the number of tracks, so I have only one midi track.
What is midi track volume slider? Is it a one from the Console? If so, it has only db marks. Sorry, but I have no idea how to get to the Offset modus. Pressing O in Console view has got all my volumes to 0 and I can not undo it... :)

I will probably restore the minus 6 db level by default in Kontakt, if I will be successful in solving this volume problem. I just can not understand - why is it so complex - envelopes, Consol Slider, volume and master volume in Kontakt. I really would be happy to have only ONE volume for the instrument, which would remain on exactly the same level I put it the last time...

PS I have pressed O one more time, and the volumes gets back to their values. So, I have 0 db for the Trumpet track. Is it 101?

I have also understood what did you mean under the midi track slider. Is it a blue one, which I can move in the automation line? But it looks to work similar to the Console one...

Wow! I have put my track controlls to All, and now I understand, what did you write.
So, I move the slider in the midi track, but the main volume slider in Kontakt DOES NOT move. It looks like the Offset mode is OK.
If not, double check all the stuff I just said, OR make sure you don't have other siurce tracks with different volumes pointing to that instance of Kontakt by mistake.
I have the same story in both of my Kontakt version (I plan to delete one later), so it looks like there are no other tracks with different volumes.

I will try to do everything one more time...

PPS It looks like there is no correlation between the midi track volume rate and the master volume rate in Kontakt. I tried to move the slider in the Kontakt track that is working normal and the slider in Kontakt also does not move...
post edited by vdvorn - 2018/03/17 23:51:31
vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 00:36:14 (permalink)
I can not understand anything! I have just posted my answer, made some editions and finally it has disappeared! It already happened sometimes on this forum and I have no idea what could be the reason...

So, I will try to explain again. I have checked the volume slider in the midi track and when I move it the slider of the master volume of the instrument in Kontakt DOES NOT move. I also proved the offset mode and it shows 0 db (I don't know how to get to 101.

The wrong input from the other track seems also unlikely, since I have 2 versions of Kontakt recently (I plan to delete one later) and the Trumpet section seems to be unstable in both of them...

michael diemer
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 00:52:43 (permalink)
vdvorn
I just checked, that the problem exist on both of my versions of Kontak (usual and portable).

As for changing the volume controller to 100 I did not find the advanced tab, where I can do it...

There are two tabs on the right of the synth. One says Basic, the other Advanced. I have had this exact problem, and setting the volume to 7 (you just select it out of a drop-down list) solves it . Study the synth's interface! It is there! Also, save the synth before closing the project.
If you are unfamiliar with the Kontakt Player, by all means look around, check out every icon and symbol so you know how to do things. In this way you will learn what you need to know (along with help from this great place, of course).

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 01:12:55 (permalink)
michael diemer
There are two tabs on the right of the synth. One says Basic, the other Advanced. I have had this exact problem, and setting the volume to 7 (you just select it out of a drop-down list) solves it . Study the synth's interface! It is there! Also, save the synth before closing the project.
If you are unfamiliar with the Kontakt Player, by all means look around, check out every icon and symbol so you know how to do things. In this way you will learn what you need to know (along with help from this great place, of course).

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPsfawCk7HUcCXJ_g99Yvk91ciu8BSKmgXltyRk
Could you please tell me where are Basic and Advanced tabs?
vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 01:14:20 (permalink)
For some reasons, sometimes I can not send a message in the normal way. I press Submit Post and everything disappears...

michael diemer
There are two tabs on the right of the synth. One says Basic, the other Advanced.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPsfawCk7HUcCXJ_g99Yvk91ciu8BSKmgXltyRk

Could you please tell me where are Basic and Advanced tabs on my screenshot?
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 03:26:32 (permalink)
Fumbled through it in Kontact Player, I don't know how different they are, but may help.
Opens 'Instrument Settings' Orange
Select 'Controller' Red
The click 'Accept standard controllers fr Volume and Pan' Green

As soon as I did that, the Volume fader in Kontact started moving Yellow

What would control 'Gain Fader in Kontact Blue?

vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 03:40:39 (permalink)
Kamikaze
Fumbled through it in Kontact Player, I don't know how different they are, but may help.
Opens 'Instrument Settings' Orange
Select 'Controller' Red
The click 'Accept standard controllers fr Volume and Pan' Green

As soon as I did that, the Volume fader in Kontact started moving Yellow

Thank you for the help, but I have this option already checked, but the fader does not move. It doesn't move also when I move the volume of the midi Kontakt tracks, which are working without that problem.

How did you get this Gain faders? I can not find it in Options...
Blogospherianman
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 03:47:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kamikaze 2018/03/18 04:20:02
Don't feel stupid. Trust me, we've all been there. It's all a learning experience and you'll continue to build on each step as you go. The reason you're not seeing the same thing is because when you inserted Kontakt, you inserted as a 'Simple Instrument Track'. That way will only show the synth audio track. ( you can right click the synth audio track and click Split Instrument track to see the midi track and synth audio track separately, BUT I don't recommend this because the CC7 will NOT be assigned to volume. And Yes you can assign it by right clicking the volume slider in Kontakt and then sliding the un-hidden midi track volume slider, BUT, doing so will result in the CC7 value of 127 becoming +12db... Not ideal.

Best thing to do is load a new instance of Kontakt and when it asks 'Insert soft synth options', click Midi source, Synth track folder and First synth audio output. This will then create a folder in the Track View that contains the Synth audio track AND the Midi source track and will Automatically assign CC7 to volume with 127 = -6db.
(If it doesn't ask about soft synth options you can change those in the Synth browser next to the +{insert synth} and X{delete synth} there's an icon for 'Insert Synth options' ... it says that when you hover over)

Then try adjusting the Volume on the Midi source track and watch the Kontakt volume slider move.

Let me know how these steps go for you.

ps. before you post, it's a good idea to 'select all' and copy the post, that way if it doesn't post you can paste it back and try again. 😉
Kamikaze
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 03:48:12 (permalink)
vdvorn
Kamikaze

Thank you for the help, but I have this option already checked, but the fader does not move.
How did you get this Gain faders? I can not find it in Options...

Do you mean, 'how do you view the gain faders?'

I have no idea how to automate them though

vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 03:51:49 (permalink)
Kamikaze

Do you mean, 'how do you view the gain faders?'

I have no idea how to automate them though

Thanks. So, when you move the gain faders, your master volume slider is also moving? In my case it doesn't work...

Wow! I have one more volume in Master view. And it is set to 33 percent. And when I move it nothing changes.

vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 04:19:47 (permalink)
Blogospherianman
Don't feel stupid. Trust me, we've all been there. It's all a learning experience and you'll continue to build on each step as you go. The reason you're not seeing the same thing is because when you inserted Kontakt, you inserted as a 'Simple Instrument Track'. That way will only show the synth audio track. ( you can right click the synth audio track and click Split Instrument track to see the midi track and synth audio track separately, BUT I don't recommend this because the CC7 will NOT be assigned to volume. And Yes you can assign it by right clicking the volume slider in Kontakt and then sliding the un-hidden midi track volume slider, BUT, doing so will result in the CC7 value of 127 becoming +12db... Not ideal.

Best thing to do is load a new instance of Kontakt and when it asks 'Insert soft synth options', click Midi source, Synth track folder and First synth audio output. This will then create a folder in the Track View that contains the Synth audio track AND the Midi source track and will Automatically assign CC7 to volume with 127 = -6db.
(If it doesn't ask about soft synth options you can change those in the Synth browser next to the +{insert synth} and X{delete synth} there's an icon for 'Insert Synth options' ... it says that when you hover over)

Then try adjusting the Volume on the Midi source track and watch the Kontakt volume slider move.

Let me know how these steps go for you.

ps. before you post, it's a good idea to 'select all' and copy the post, that way if it doesn't post you can paste it back and try again. 😉

Hi, Blogospherianman
unfortunately, I did not mark your second post (I though it was a previous).
I did as you said with the new instance of Kontakt and now the slider is moving. Thanks! I will transfer the data on the new track and see, if the problem remains.

So, does it mean, that the problem was in the way of opening a synth track? And how to explain, that another tracks opened as a Single track are working normal?

As for the posting, the problem is, that my posts disappear AFTER EDITING, and I have no idea how and why it may happen...
vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 04:27:59 (permalink)
IT IS JUST TERRIBLE. When I try to edit my post, or write an additional one the older one DISAPPEARS.

So, I replied to Blogospherianman that I did what he said, opened a new splitted track and the fader now moves. I will transfer the data and see, if the problem remains.

I would like also to say, that this double tracking is very uncomfortable for me, since I do not see any profit, but the number of the tracks are hard to manage...

I would be happy, if the problem could be solved without the necessity to open doubled tracks for every Kontakt instrument.

michael diemer
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 04:37:59 (permalink)
Hmm, my only experience with Kontakt is with Cinematic Strings. The functions I mentioned may be unique to that VSTi. Sorry!

On the other hand, those functions may be hidden. You might need to make them visible. You can choose which features to hide or display, and you may have them hidden.

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

Kamikaze
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 04:39:12 (permalink)

Kamikaze
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 04:43:48 (permalink)
Side Note: I don't use Instrument Volume (Midi), as a I tend not to use the onboard FX, and use ProChannel. changes in instrument Volume changes the level feeding compressors and distortions  

Kamikaze
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 04:48:46 (permalink)
vdvorn

I would be happy, if the problem could be solved without the necessity to open doubled tracks for every Kontakt instrument.

I haven't needed to split tracks, and haven't had your problem. So there should be a cure, rather than a remedy.

When I open Kontact  'The click 'Accept standard controllers for Volume and Pan' is defaulted to off. Was to defaulted to off for you before today? (I'm just guessing here)

vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 04:55:50 (permalink)
Kamikaze

I haven't needed to split tracks, and haven't had your problem. So there should be a cure, rather than a remedy.

When I open Kontact  'The click 'Accept standard controllers for Volume and Pan' is defaulted to off. Was to defaulted to off for you before today? (I'm just guessing here)

It looks like in my Kontakt it is set ON by default. I just opened a new track and it was on...
michael diemer
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 04:57:32 (permalink)
Yeah, the basic/advanced tabs are unique to Cinematic Strings, I'm pretty sure. Your problem sounded esactly like mine, so I assumed what worked for me would work for you.

Still, it really sounds like something keeps re-setting. I would still put in a CC event for starting volume, CC7=80, 100, or whatever you choose.

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

Blogospherianman
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 05:09:29 (permalink)
Kamikaze

Just pointing out that in your photo you are already using the Split Synth Audio and Midi tracks separately as apposed to the Simple Instrument track that Vdorn is using.
Kamikaze
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 05:16:00 (permalink)
The screen print was to show Vdorn the split track view. Adding to your post above.

I do occasionally split tracks, but I mainly use the singe instrument tracks and don't touch midi Volume, and Kontact Player is fine

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1