A question for the Sonarites around here

Author
ucacjbs
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 866
2005/10/14 10:47:43 (permalink)

A question for the Sonarites around here

Hi folks,

I've a question to ask of those Sonar users out there. Somewhere in the depths of my memory, I've a feeling that I read somewhere that Sonar can import P5 patterns. Is that true, or did I dream it?

Given my recent efforts at software feature recall, I would imagine that my memory is wrong again, but I thought I'd ask. I'm currently trying to get some MIDI data out of one of my P5 projects to share with someone, and since I don't seem to be able to get P5 to dump MIDI data directly, I've got a convoluted set-up that includes the MIDIOut DXi, Hubi's MIDI loopback, MIDI-Ox, ReWire, P5 and Home Studio that allows me to transfer the MIDI data in real-time. It works, but it certainly isn't pretty. Kind of like the second sentence of this paragraph. Too long. Ouch. (See, I made up for it with some shorter ones at the end).

Thanks in advance for any replies,

ben

post edited by ucacjbs - 2005/10/14 10:57:07

9 Replies Related Threads

Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: A question for the Sonarites around here 2005/10/14 11:38:05 (permalink)
    Never even seen Sonar before, but I'm almost 99% sure that it opens .PTN files...so yes it would identify P5 patterns.

fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: A question for the Sonarites around here 2005/10/14 11:48:50 (permalink)
    Yes, Sonar does import .PTN patterns since version 3 or 4.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: A question for the Sonarites around here 2005/10/14 12:05:43 (permalink)
    Yeah, the only question being: why, when choosing to import midi, do you have to select P5 pattern in the drop down box in the file browser? Why doesn't it have a 'show all midi/ptn' option? Annoys me when I have to change the drop down every time.

Does the loop browser in Sonar show midi loops? I'll have to check that out later...
    ucacjbs
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 866
    RE: A question for the Sonarites around here 2005/10/14 12:05:45 (permalink)
    Thanks chaps. A few more bricks fall out of the great wall of 'Don't buy Sonar'.
    James D
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: A question for the Sonarites around here 2005/10/14 14:31:08 (permalink)
    Yes you can play P5 patterns in Sonar, and any P5 patten you want. The easiest way to do this while in Sonar, is to select the track you want to use the P5 pattern with, place your now time at the proper measure in the track, and then click on the loop view icon on the toolbar. The loop folder will open and you can now navigate to the Project5 directory and drill down the the P5 patterns folder. Open the pattern folder of choice and then double click the pattern you want and it will load in Sonar at the location were you have your now time stationed.

I know...I know... Give me an example.

Lets say I inserted BFD as a DXI, so now I have BFD on an audio track and a midi track is created as the source track. ( when the box appears, select midi source track). I highlight my midi track in sonar and place my now time on measure 4, when I double click the P5 pattern I selected from the loop folder, it will appear on the BFD midi track at measure 4.

Make sure you check these boxes

Got it!!

Good!!

Peace
    post edited by James D - 2005/10/14 14:52:10

Enjoy the sweet sound of music forever!
    Sonar5
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: A question for the Sonarites around here 2005/10/14 18:06:50 (permalink)
    Does the loop browser in Sonar show midi loops? I'll have to check that out later...
    Yes, but God help you if you'd like to hear what they sound like before you drop them on a track. There is no preview.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: A question for the Sonarites around here 2005/10/14 18:27:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

Yes, but God help you if you'd like to hear what they sound like before you drop them on a track. There is no preview.

It is strange why Cakewalk seems to bypass certain features of P5 (I know taking all the good stuff from P5 would be bad for business)...I mean, why can you still not replace a synth as easily in Sonar as you can in P5? Hell, why can't you replace or add a synth during playback? Why no loop preview? I could name other things, but these in particular seem obvious and commonsense additions to Sonar....
    James D
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: A question for the Sonarites around here 2005/10/14 19:06:07 (permalink)
    There is not perfect Sequencer, if there were there would be nothing to complain about.

I am happy with the way it works and what doesn't work, I perform a work a round.

To audition the P5 patterns in Sonar, I use my PC keyboard and mouse with synced hand movements. Sounds funny right. but check it out.

I place my right hand on the mouse and my left hand on the keyboard. With my thumb on the space bar, my pinky finger on the "Ctrl" key, and my third and fourth finger on "Z" and "W" respectively. So when I make the pattern appear in the track by double clicking it, I audition it by pressing the spacebar with my thumb. If I like it I good, If I don't, I press "Ctrl + Z" to remove it and "W" to return the now time back to the beginng and the ndouble click another pattern.

I am used to auditioning them this way, so I can audition a bunch of patterns and not think of how I am doing it.

Just be creative.

Peace

Enjoy the sweet sound of music forever!
    Sonar5
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: A question for the Sonarites around here 2005/10/15 14:31:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ucacjbs

Thanks chaps. A few more bricks fall out of the great wall of 'Don't buy Sonar'.

LOL
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1