A quick look at Presonus Studio One

Author
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
2017/11/29 22:40:11 (permalink)

A quick look at Presonus Studio One

For you guys who are trying to decide which DAW to chase next here are my very first impressions of SO.  Keep in mind I've only used it a few hours and everything could change tomorrow.

1.  It seems to sound more open that SPLAT.  I don't think it actually does, but it seems to.  Go figure that one out.
2.  SPLAT was BEAUTIFUL.  SO seems "cartoony".  SPLAT made me feel more like a pro.
3.  Things are small in SO.  It's hard for me to see track names.  WAV files are teeny.  I'm sure there is a way to make them really larger in So I just haven't found it yet.
4.  SO is EASY.  You drop.  You drag.  You record.  You delete.  easy-peasy
5.  There is no FX bin in SO in the trackview like in SPLAT.  To find out what FX are on a track you have to click twice on it's counsel fader.  I miss that.
6.  SO has slightly quirky keyboard commands.  For instance "undo" is ctrl y rather than control x.  To rewind rather than pressing "W" you press the comma key on the number pad on your keyboard.

Just a few first impressions.  I feel like in time I'll get happy with SO, but darn I'm gonna miss SPLAT!!

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver

5 Replies Related Threads

RSMCGUITAR
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1318
    Re: A quick look at Presonus Studio One 2017/11/30 00:19:46 (permalink)
    It's actually ctrl + z to undo... which is the same as Sonar and most other programs.
    Eddie TX
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1104
    Re: A quick look at Presonus Studio One 2017/11/30 02:28:17 (permalink)
    jude77
    For you guys who are trying to decide which DAW to chase next here are my very first impressions of SO.  Keep in mind I've only used it a few hours and everything could change tomorrow.

1.  It seems to sound more open that SPLAT.  I don't think it actually does, but it seems to.  Go figure that one out.
    2.  SPLAT was BEAUTIFUL.  SO seems "cartoony".  SPLAT made me feel more like a pro.
    3.  Things are small in SO.  It's hard for me to see track names.  WAV files are teeny.  I'm sure there is a way to make them really larger in So I just haven't found it yet.
    4.  SO is EASY.  You drop.  You drag.  You record.  You delete.  easy-peasy
    5.  There is no FX bin in SO in the trackview like in SPLAT.  To find out what FX are on a track you have to click twice on it's counsel fader.  I miss that.

You may already have found how to do these things, but just in case ...

3. You can adjust the height of the tracks in the track window by dragging the header part at the left, where the track names are. Drag the slider at the lower right corner of the track window (looks like a yellow equals sign) to resize the waveforms.

5. Click the up/down arrow icon at the lower left of the screen to see fx/send bins above the faders. I like how you can resize the fx bin so that you can see all your plugins on the tracks. (I like plugins :-)). (BTW, that's one thing I don't like about Cubase -- last I checked, there was a limit on the number of plugins you could have on each track. Like only 6 or 8. Horrors!)

After using it for a little while, I found the S1 interface a lot more user-friendly and manageable than Sonar. 

Cheers,
    Eddie

Sonar X3 Producer / Win 10 
    The future exists in all directions.
    synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: A quick look at Presonus Studio One 2017/11/30 12:44:43 (permalink)
    Eddie TX
    5. Click the up/down arrow icon at the lower left of the screen to see fx/send bins above the faders. 

Hi Eddie,

I just checked this out and I think you are referring to the up/down arrows in Console view.

I cannot see a way to display the FX Bin track view.

cheers

andy

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    DarinBad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 461
    Re: A quick look at Presonus Studio One 2017/11/30 12:48:52 (permalink)
    synkrotron
    Eddie TX
    5. Click the up/down arrow icon at the lower left of the screen to see fx/send bins above the faders. 

Hi Eddie,

I just checked this out and I think you are referring to the up/down arrows in Console view.

I cannot see a way to display the FX Bin track view.

cheers

andy

If I understand you correctly:
    Click the 'I' button in the upper-left of arranger view, to show the Inspector.

AsRock Z77 Extreme4
    CPU INTEL CORE I7 3770K
    32 GB RAM
    RME Fireface 800
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: A quick look at Presonus Studio One 2017/11/30 14:33:13 (permalink)
    I just spent a few hours total with the new S1. I found out how to display the FX right above the console. Pretty neat. There are buttons on the bottom left and right that change the view/show more (not sure how to describe this) but it reminds me of a combination of Sonar's Skylight UI and Screen Sets put together.

I really like the way that you can size 'all' waveforms at the same time!

And not at home to check but I sure hope that they follow Windows commands with cut/copy/paste

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1