A side-address mic?

Author
copperlix
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
2006/12/18 11:58:45 (permalink)

A side-address mic?

What is a side-address microphone? I was looking at the Shure KSM27 and the description said it was a side-address mic. What I am looking for is a good PA mic for a small choir. Does anyone have any experience with either the KSM27 or with some other mic that might be good for a small choir?

Jay

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

5 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: A side-address mic? 2006/12/18 13:46:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: copperlix

What is a side-address microphone? I was looking at the Shure KSM27 and the description said it was a side-address mic. What I am looking for is a good PA mic for a small choir. Does anyone have any experience with either the KSM27 or with some other mic that might be good for a small choir?

Jay

It's simple, a side-address mic picks up sound from the side not the end like a hand held vocal mic. For example with a Shure SM-58 you sing into the end of the ball, with the SKM27 you sing into the side where the pattern icon is.

However, to mic a choir you might need a different mic depending on how large the choir is. The KSM27 has a cardioid pickup pattern, meaning that is only picks up sound in one direction. If you point it at the center of the Choir you might not pick up the folks on each end very well. This can work if you put the loud singers on the ends and the softer singers in the middle but it may not be the best choice. If you get it back far enough and can get a lot of gain from the PA mixer or preamp that you use that might work also. The directional pattern is good for preventing feedback. If you can afford it you could also use two of them to get more coverage and that would also get you true stereo if the PA is stereo.

If the PA speakers are far enough away that feedback is not a problem you might want to try a mic that picks up in all directions (omni directional). That will pick up all the choir at about the same volume. Just be aware that it will also pick up any other sound around the area and you will have to position it so you don't get feedback (away from PA speakers).
    copperlix
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: A side-address mic? 2006/12/19 18:53:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for your answer. It makes sense now.

I don't want an omni directional mic, because this small choir often has to perform in a small area, with the PA speakers fairly close to the mic. Even if the speakers are in front of the mic, facing away from it, there is sometimes a feedback problem. I need a mic with a wide angle pickup pattern, but not omni. As I read the specs of various mics, I never am able to get a good graphic of the polar pattern of the mic. The only choices I ever see are text explanations of cardioid, hypercardioid, figure 8, or omni. How do I find a good mic with a wide polar pattern with a response that is uniform throughout the pattern?

Jay

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: A side-address mic? 2006/12/20 01:11:03 (permalink)
    The problem is that different frequencies react differently in patterns. Low sounds might get picked up more from the side than higher sounds, etc.

You don't mention a budget (the akg is $300 or so?), but you might try to find a variable pattern mic, which could prove more versitile. CAD makes the 179 or some desitgnation like that which is an LCD with 3 patterns. It is in the same price ball park, too, and has a good reputation.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: A side-address mic? 2006/12/20 11:02:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: copperlix

Thanks for your answer. It makes sense now.

I don't want an omni directional mic, because this small choir often has to perform in a small area, with the PA speakers fairly close to the mic. Even if the speakers are in front of the mic, facing away from it, there is sometimes a feedback problem. I need a mic with a wide angle pickup pattern, but not omni. As I read the specs of various mics, I never am able to get a good graphic of the polar pattern of the mic. The only choices I ever see are text explanations of cardioid, hypercardioid, figure 8, or omni. How do I find a good mic with a wide polar pattern with a response that is uniform throughout the pattern?

Jay

There is a limit to how you can engineer those patterns, they are not perfect or uniform. Any cardioid condensor mic should work fine for your needs. Just play with the distance from the group till you get a good balance without feedback. The closer you get to the group the more volume before feedback you will get and the more distance the better balance you will get, try some different positions till you get it as good as you can. It doesn't even have to be on center, be creative. You might get a good sound by placeing the mic off to the side pointed in at the group that might help control feedback by getting more of the back of the mic toward the speakers.
    tunekicker
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1261
    RE: A side-address mic? 2006/12/24 19:02:06 (permalink)
    If you need more sound rejection from behind, try a cardioid mic. If you need rejection from behind but at an angle, work the hypercardioid.

Peace,

- Tunes
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1