A suggestion for the next Cakewalk instrument

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jamester
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: A suggestion for the next Cakewalk instrument 2007/05/30 22:36:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nick P

That may be the whole point of developing and marketing this drum software as a separate product in the same way DimPro and Rapture are separate. Possibly include an "LE" version packaged with Sonar/P5, but the main program with all its content could be sold separately.

Exactly!

SD2 is of no concern to me, as I don't use Sonar anymore. The whole point of RGC/Cake's direction with DimPro and Rapt is that they're 3rd party for use in any sequencer. I agree with everything that Nick said in the post before, about DimPro and Rapt needing a third specialized instrument to complete the trinity of synth/sample awesomness.

And while a strong, full-featured library should be included (of course), the emphasis should be on a "less is more" approach towards generic ROMpler-esque duties, and a "more is more" angle towards combined sampling AND synthesis...just like DimPro does for the "workstation" concept, so should this for the "drum machine" concept.

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
Trusty
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 590
RE: A suggestion for the next Cakewalk instrument 2007/05/30 22:54:59 (permalink)
For the record, I wasn't praising SD2. I don't and haven't ever used it for anything...ever. I don't care that much for it at all.

I'm with the drum sampling/synth people...but please, no ultra giga-clog-my-harddrive-with-sounds-I'll-never-ever-use library... I just withered my drum one shot folders down to 76.9 MB for only the best of the best. Sequencer is a take it or leave it for me.
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
RE: A suggestion for the next Cakewalk instrument 2007/05/31 03:20:34 (permalink)
Trusty - I have to disagree. With hard drives getting bigger, faster, cheaper, who cares about a 7 gig library? As long as the sounds are used well in kits and everything is easily searchable with a browser, I say bring on the mega-gig libraries. To me, Battery 3 exemplifies this type of well-organized "mega" library.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
MurderDethKill
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1904
RE: A suggestion for the next Cakewalk instrument 2007/05/31 05:01:05 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jamester
And while a strong, full-featured library should be included (of course), the emphasis should be on a "less is more" approach towards generic ROMpler-esque duties, and a "more is more" angle towards combined sampling AND synthesis...just like DimPro does for the "workstation" concept, so should this for the "drum machine" concept.

So what your suggesting James, is SessionDrummer PRO - with added content, filters, oscillators, EG's, and a Midi Matrix.

Right?

Or would it be this-->
post edited by MurderDethKill - 2007/05/31 05:08:59

My site i guess;)
Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
jamester
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: A suggestion for the next Cakewalk instrument 2007/05/31 12:54:54 (permalink)
Pretty much MDK...I want to see RGC's *improvement* of the RMIV concept!

It's been a while since I've played with RMIV, but for one thing there's no sample-based synthesis; synths and samples are each their own bag, either/or, no? For another thing the entire browsing/menu system is needlessly slow and cumbersome IMO. And what's with a 6x3 layout? Uh, 4x4 please, industry standard! (minor, I know)

The RMIV is good stuff, but it's long overdue for an update/improvement. I keep seeing rumors that Peter is planning on doing just that, but I've been hearing that for a long time, and Linplug keeps putting out new instruments instead.

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
furiousfive
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: A suggestion for the next Cakewalk instrument 2007/05/31 14:53:21 (permalink)
Linplug mentioned in their May newsletter than RM V is being planned for release later this year. So we'll see what happens (or doesn't) soon enough. :)
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1