Helpful ReplyA-500 PRO Total Confusion (used with Ableton Live)

Author
Anamkhai
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2013/04/13 13:10:48 (permalink)

A-500 PRO Total Confusion (used with Ableton Live)

Hello everyone, do not panic, I'm the only one panicking right now.

I bought a A-500 Pro a year ago, and I really like it even if the keys are smaller than on a regular keyboard, I use it all the time.

My usual working flow goes like this : 

I use Ableton Live, when I need to record something, I just record and play on the keyboard, everything works fine, amen.
When I want to automate something on a track I'm working on, I just go into map mode, click the button I want to assign and press a controller on the A-500 and everything works fine and I can record my automation.

Now, I have never been inside of the A-Pro to try to understand any of the feature it has (presets / changing values / channels, all of this... because basically I hate trying to figure out this mess that really never looks intuitive to me as I'm an artist and not a programmer ! :D )

I'm now having the need to understand more about the A-500, but not in a way that I read the manual that spreads informations without examples that I have no idea what to do with, so I'll try to be as clear as I can with my little questions and I really hope someone can take the time to answer me without telling me to read the manual ! I'm sure parts of this have been covered already, if yes, I'd love to get a link to the covered parts, also, i'll put a number for each of my questions since I feel I'm going to have quite a few, so feel free to answer to the numbers you know by putting what questions you're answering too ! 

1. I use some lovely IK-Multimedia plugins that unfortunately do not let you map a controller in one click (can't go in map mode and just touch the knob I want). The way these plugins work as far as I understand is that I have to manually enter the name (channel ?) of the controller in a window. So my first question is : How do I find out what channel correspond to what knob ?

2. Is there a way using the programs or something to configure the A-500 manually so when I open a specific synth I like it can be all pre mapped right away ? Or do I always have to go into map mode in ableton and manually move the buttons I want to assign ? Please please, tell me in details if you know :D

3. How do YOU use the advanced features of the A-500 that i don't understand at all with ableton live ? Do you have tips ? Stuff you advise me to do !? (not just read the manual please :D )

My brain just has a strong resistance with understanding the secrets of midi underground and advanced features (and even basic midi stuff I guess). 

Thank you very much for any help ! 

PS : I still manage to compose a track with my newbie midi knowledge : https://soundcloud.com/an...-race-demo-soundtrack/
icontakt
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4266
Re:A-500 PRO Total Confusion (used with Ableton Live) 2013/04/15 09:12:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Dyonight 2013/07/04 20:53:08

Hi, welcome to the forum. So you didn't read the manual and decided to post here for help? Good decision. You've saved a lot of time.
I'll try to have my explanation as easy-to-understand as possible. Ready? 

First, switch on your A-500 Pro and press the left arrow button until you see "CTRL MAP" on the LCD display. Next, turn the Value knob and choose "12," which will display "Live SOLO" momentarily. I'll explain the detail later, but you have just selected a control map (#12) Roland has prepared specifically for Ableton Live.

Now, on your PC, go to Program Files\Roland\A-PRO EDITOR and double-click AProEditor.exe, which launches the A-PRO Editor that allows you to edit the maps stored in the hardware. To edit a control map using this editor, you first have to send the map to edit from the hardware to the A-Pro editor, which can be done easily by selecting "12" from the Control Map pull-down in the upper right corner and clicking the Receive button (press Continue). After clicking the button, the display on your A-500 Pro shows "Transmitting…" and the Title field of the editor says, “Live SOLO,” which means the map data was successfully transmitted to the editor.

Next, click the R1 knob on the editor, which opens a dialog box. As you can see, the Assign Message pull-down is showing “Channel Message” and the Control Number field is showing “16,” which means that the R1 knob of your A-500 Pro, when tweaked by you, sends the Control Change #16 to your PC (DAW). And if, for example, you assigned the R1 knob to the Live’s first track’s pan knob, it means that you have bound CC#16 and the pan knob. If you change the control number on the editor from 16 to something else, the R1 knob will no longer be able to control the track’s pan knob. Clear so far?

Before moving onto the next step, I want to know which control map in the A-Pro hardware you've been using. This is easy to check. When you switch on your A-500Pro, press the left arrow button until you see "CTRL MAP" on the LCD display, which you already did earlier. Which map is shown there? By default, A-Pro automatically selects the map 0 (Sonar ACT Map) when powered on. A-Pro has 20 control maps (0-19) and they contain different mappings (for example, the maps for Live use CC#16 for the R1 knob, while Sonar maps use CC#74). Don’t ask me why they use different maps, but you should probably use the Live maps (12-14) for convenience. And, if you want the A-Pro hardware to automatically select one of Live maps on startup, follow these steps:
1. Simultaneously press the ACT button and the left arrow button.
2. Turn the Value knob and choose “System Setting,” then press the Value knob.
3. Turn the Value knob again and choose “LAST ACCMAP,” and press the Value knob to exit. By this, the map you’re using when powering off your A-500Pro will be automatically called up the next time you power on the device.    

If you’re wondering whether you’ll have to edit the default MIDI messages using the A-Pro editor, I’ll show you one example. Let’s go back to the Live SOLO map and click the Express (P2) on the editor. As you can see, nothing is assigned to this control. This means, if you have an expression pedal and want to use it to control, for example, rotary speaker speed in an organ preset, you’ll have to assign CC#1 (modulation) to this control. So, if you don’t use pedals and are happy with the default message assignments in the Live maps, you won’t have to edit anything. If you do edit and want to save the map as a file, go to File > Save As on the editor. By the way, files for the default maps #1-18 are downloadable from the Roland official site. If you use these files, you won’t have to do the transmission from the A-Pro hardware to the A-Pro Editor.
http://www.rolandus.com/support/search/A-500PRO
A-PRO Series Preset Control Map v1.10 

Now, let me answer your questions.

Question 1
Clicking on the knob on the A-Pro editor opens a dialog box, which shows its MIDI channel.

Question 2&3
I’m afraid I don’t use Live (I use Sonar and Studio One), so I cannot answer these questions. Maybe you should check or post in the Live forum? 

I don’t know if I explained everything you need, but lastly I want to mention about the A-Pro’s two input ports: A-Pro 1 and A-Pro 2. When you play the A-Pro keyboard, information such as note, pitch, and after touch messages will be sent through A-Pro 1. When you tweak the knobs, sliders, buttons, and pads, the various messages assigned to them will be sent through A-Pro 2. ALWAYS choose “A-Pro 1” for your MIDI track inputs, and chose “A-Pro 2” for the input port (and “A-Pro” for the output port) in the control surface setting page in Live.

Hope this helped.

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
Anamkhai
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:A-500 PRO Total Confusion (used with Ableton Live) 2013/04/15 10:33:43 (permalink)
Hello and thank you for that answer ! I'm going to read it now and try to figure it out, but i guess I should havec included that I'm using a mac ! :p
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1