A-500S versus KeyRig49

Author
john6448
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 193
2010/11/11 13:30:03 (permalink)

A-500S versus KeyRig49

I might be getting an inexpensive keyboard for Christmas. I need to be extremely cost-conscious. That means accepting less than ideal.

What I'm looking for:
1. Most important, the best key action I can get with Mod and Pitch Bend. Controller knobs, sliders, pads, less important to me at this point.
2. I don't want to throw my money away on something that will break or not work in year or two. Of course, my cost constraints may force to do so.

I had been looking at the M-Audio KeyRig49 as the best cheap option at $99, but Guitar Center is running a 20% off any single item $199 or more this weekend, so I am expanding my possibilities to the $199 price point since I'd only actually be spending $160. I figure it may well be worth spending $60 more if I can get a significant upgrade.

Options as I see them now:

KeyRig49 $99, does anyone who's used one think this is just a waste of money? I can check the action at GC.

M-Audio Oxygen 49, won't reach GC's discount level, but if the key action and quality is superior to the KeyRig it's an option. I can also check the action at GC.

Cakewalk A-500S $199, unfortunately I can't find it anywhere local to demo it. Two questions here:
First, I'm wondering if the key action is significantly better than the KeyRig49.
Second, I'm curious how people find the unique Mod/Pitch Bend control.

I've also found the Korg microKey 49, but apparently it isn't actually available yet, so again I can't demo it myself.

I'd appreciate any input. I've done a lot of research, so at this point I'm just asking for opinions from users or others who've been down this road recently. Of course, I'll consider input from anyone who wants to offer their opinion.

post edited by john6448 - 2010/11/11 14:39:15

John B.
------------------
Sonar X2 Producer
Primary Use: Orchestral MIDI with Softsynths 
2.5 GHz Core2 Quad 8300, 8 GB RAM 
Windows 7 64-bit
VSL Special Edition
Cinematic Strings 2

2 Replies Related Threads

john6448
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re:A-500S versus KeyRig49 2010/11/12 15:50:23 (permalink)
    In case any of you fellow money-strapped hobbyists are walking the same path I am, I ended up getting the M-Audio Oxygen 49 for just a tad more than the KeyRig or KeyStation. I found the key action to be better for my tastes. It's still a cheap option, just a better cheap option for me. I'll give it a whirl for a couple of weeks.

John B.
    ------------------
    Sonar X2 Producer
    Primary Use: Orchestral MIDI with Softsynths 
    2.5 GHz Core2 Quad 8300, 8 GB RAM 
    Windows 7 64-bit
    VSL Special Edition
    Cinematic Strings 2

robbyk
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 705
    Re:A-500S versus KeyRig49 2011/01/21 14:28:54 (permalink)
    john6448
    Cakewalk A-500s... Two questions here:
    First, I'm wondering if the key action is significantly better than the KeyRig49.
    Second, I'm curious how people find the unique Mod/Pitch Bend control.
    I'm also looking at purchasing the A-500S vs the keyrig this weekend primarily for use with the Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO4) and I have the same two questions which have not received a response.

Mostly though, I'm a little concerned about the Pitch Bend Modulation Lever as opposed to 2 pitch / mod wheels.

Please note, I'm moving up from the Korg nanokey. I'm a guitarist teaching myself to play keys at an early advanced age (for example: http://robbykband.bandcamp.com/track/remember-when ) and enjoying it. But I don't think I warrant anything too extravangant yet. I just want to continue to learn orchestration over the coming year and the nanokey is limiting with no sustain pedal input nor pitch bend mod wheels.

Does anyone have some advice?

Thanks kindly!

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
    Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
    Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
    Studio
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1