Helpful ReplyAC Mains Past 20 Amps

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Jay Tee 4303
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 246
2014/03/23 09:23:15 (permalink)

AC Mains Past 20 Amps

Distilled wisdom regarding AC mains for home studios suggests noise and hum are best subdued with all audio equipment on one circuit, perhaps even a single receptacle.

At some point, you will exceed the current capabilities of home use 20 amp breakers and wiring, what then?

How do larger studios set up wiring for different rooms? Are there bigger breakers and wiring techniques to allow for more equipment, or better grounding techniques to allow the use of multiple circuits without penalties of additional noise?

IBM PC/XT
1 MB RAM
8087 Math Co-Processor
5 Megabyte Seagate Hard Drive
Twelvetone Cakewalk Version 2.0
rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/23 14:27:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jay Tee 4303 2014/03/25 06:17:50
Most studios will use power conditioners just in case.  Though usually any properly wired building will not have ground loop problems.  20 amps will get you well over 2000 watts of power, plenty for everything in most modest studios.  Though there shouldn't be a problem adding a second circuit either from the main box or splitting a 30-40 amp circuit breaker into two sub panels for separate rooms. Usually the ground point will be shared by everything.  

Daniel Rumley
Rumley Music and Audio Production
www.rumleymusic.com
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/23 14:37:15 (permalink)
I'm tempted to say something, but I think I should wait for Bill (wst3) to explain it so he doesn't have to waste time correcting my mistakes. :-)

Jay Tee 4303
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/23 14:46:50 (permalink)
rumleymusic
Most studios will use power conditioners just in case.  Though usually any properly wired building will not have ground loop problems.  20 amps will get you well over 2000 watts of power, plenty for everything in most modest studios.  Though there shouldn't be a problem adding a second circuit either from the main box or splitting a 30-40 amp circuit breaker into two sub panels for separate rooms. Usually the ground point will be shared by everything.  

Thanks, Daniel.

I have 3 circuits in play presently.

One, 20 amp, original house wiring for the west end of the house, three bedrooms, a bath, and the west walls of the living and dining rooms.

Two, a 20 amp home run installed recently solely for audio use, one two duplex receptacle, feeding a chain of fair to middlin 6 ways, tiered for easy on/off in banks.

Three, a 20 amp home run installed recently with a single duplex in the tracking room, and another in the control room adjacent.

I need to get meters inline to see what I'm drawing now, and also get a few pieces of audio gear off circuits 1 and 3.

I have a  Chauvet light board, several LED parcans, and a DMX transceiver pair on circuit 3, along with a drum machine, bass processors and a wireless receiver (for bass) on circuit 1, but so far, the only noise problems I have are in a pair of Lexi MX200s (which are fed by a send from main interface, with guitar amp signals present) which are analog but headed for fully SPDIF implementation soon....

...some noise issues between tracking and the remote laptop dock, which turn out to be unbalanced 25' runs, coulda swore I laid balanced TRS cables in there, gremlins done it.

...and some 60 cycle hum in the new control room, which has the PCs on house wiring circuit one, and audio racks on studio circuit two.

Think I can resolve most or all the issues easily, but before I do, I need to know how much is already on circuits two and three, and what my options are if I bump my head on either, with ideal configs from a noise POV.

You've given me options there, and I appreciate it, thanks!

IBM PC/XT
1 MB RAM
8087 Math Co-Processor
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/23 15:19:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jay Tee 4303 2014/03/25 06:18:14
This feels like a setup!

I'm actually working on rewiring my studio these days, so this will be brief...

As has been pointed out - short of a large console or tape deck, or large amplifiers a 20A circuit will probably handle all your needs. But since you asked: "How do larger studios set up wiring..."

The current general wisdom suggests that a sub-panel be established, here in the USA it is referred to as a separately derived service, and that has connotations, I'm sure, but I am not a licensed electrician, so I leave the code issues to those who understand them fully.

aside - one thing I know for certain is that if you design your power system to be safe it will be quiet, whereas there are ways to design for quiet that are not safe!

aside - ground loops always exist! They are not always a problem, but they always exist. The term ground is often misused. Ground ought to refer only to the earth, and an earth ground is used only to provide protection from lightning or power grid faults. It plays no part in noise reduction. The neutral is bonded to ground at the service entrance because neutral is usually the return leg, and if it is compromised, or if an energized conductor somehow energizes an enclosure we want an alternate, very low impedance return to ground.

I was trying to be brief, wasn't I?

So, in a large facility a separately derived sub-panel provides "technical power" for all devices that might have an effect on the audio. If the facility is really large the sub-panel will have both legs of the single phase that feeds the building, but a single leg can be used. And multiple phases can be used, but that gets really tricky.

Power conditioners - be wary of power conditioners! Depending on the technology employed they can be the single largest contributor to studio electrical noise!

Surge protectors - there are two kinds of surge protectors, series mode, and stuff that doesn't work when you want it to<G>. Avoid the inexpensive surge protectors that simply strap MOVs across each line to ground.

In my last purpose built studio I used four breakers from the "A" leg to power everything but the console, tape decks, and amplifiers. All of the outlets were Isolated Ground outlets, and I went one step further and brought an insulated ground wire from each outlet back to the breaker box ( this was easy since the panel was in a work room adjacent to the studio space - I would probably never do this again though<G>!)

The big power items were all powered from a separate pair of breakers configured for 220VAC. This was an experiment, partly to see if halving the current would have an effect on magnetically coupled noise (it did), and partly to see if there was anything to the "Symmetrical Power" concept (there is.) Most studios today don't have equipment that requires that much power, so it's probably moot.

Does this answer your question?

And Mike, next time feel free to jump in ahead of me!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
The Maillard Reaction
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/23 15:51:19 (permalink)
:-)

There's an irony for me. I did some remodeling a year and a half ago. I pestered my electricians to give me a three outlet box with a dedicated 30 amp circuit for my rack and CPU then a small change in room layout, after all the paint and trim was finished, caused me to disregard that specific circuit and plug the whole shebangs into a general purpose 20 amp circuit serving the other wall outlets.

Best laid plans...

My home setup only has a 200 amp max house panel capability and it gets spread thin between the house, the studio, and the work shop stuff. I don't know much about power wiring in commercial facilities, other than it can be dedicated and doesn't have to be constrained to a 200 amp max mains connection. 

best regards,
mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2014/03/24 13:47:31

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/23 19:02:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jay Tee 4303 2014/03/25 06:18:40
Buy the fact Jay Tee used the term "mains" I have a feeling he is from the UK or some other location other than North America. The rules are different and so is the way they wire things, apparently.

I owned an commercial building and built a new addition that became my small studio.
One thing about the music community. It will always contain someone of each trade. Bernie was an "A" ticket electrical and a hell of a good guitar player too. He had worked on huge industrial sites as well as the hospital.
It was no big deal to wire the studio. As long as you do a solid job of installing everything and keep all motor loads on the other phase.  Like Fridge and A/C. We had a very quiet system and there were at least 6 breakers just for the live room. This is mostly for running a bunch of Tube amps and there was a PA system too.
I sort of remember that all outlets were on one side of the phase, and all lighting and motors the other. It had elecric baseboards which are 240V so used both phases.

He told me people have issues in certain locations because the Delivery system or sometimes the Transformer is funky.

I had a bunch of custom made surge strips made by a tech friend of mine. He took standard power bars ( metal ones) and added a sh-t load of big a-s Caps in there. I still use those.
My studio is at home again in my original location I put together before I bought the commercial building. I built this house myself and did all the wiring. I ran a special circiut and kept it on the "clean side" of my panel. It's only  15 Amps but that's way more than a home studio will ever use. Only Tube amps draw any sort of power. Monitor system might be next on the list. Modern computers and LCD screens use very little power.

PS- here in Canada you can't have a 20 amp breaker on a standard outlet. All duplex type outlets have to be 110V - 15 Amp. # 14 guage wire. 12 outlets per circiut.

There is a special plug for 20 amps, One prong is sidways. And the wires feeding it will be #12.
It's possibly totaly illegal to instal a 20 Amp outlet anywhere but in a workshop. Don't quote me on that. The rules are always changing, and getting more uptight. Bedroom bedside  outlets have to have these $60 breakers that kick out if you knock your lamp over.

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/23 20:46:26 (permalink)
boy...I'd put #10 wire on that 20a outlet, especially if it's on the other side of things.  But I want to say, here in the US, you can only put one 20a outlet per circuit... but I'm a non-licensed electrician, that sees a lot of generator "backfeeding" into their house system, thru such type outlets, here in Kentucky.  (remember to shut off your mains...right!)  That typically also give you some "hot prongs" on that generator cable as well.  Great for young kids.

I've got a question though... what are the thoughts of using a UPS power supply as a "voltage regulator" and minimal surge arrestor, as compared to these glorified Furman "power strips"?

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Jay Tee 4303
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/23 23:03:01 (permalink)
I'm in the US. Many 20 amp breakers in the box, and electrician didn't blink adding 3 more. (One for the pond pump and lights outside.) I'm learning all kinds of good stuff here, so feel free to continue discussion at length

IBM PC/XT
1 MB RAM
8087 Math Co-Processor
bluzdog
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1928
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/24 08:48:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jay Tee 4303 2014/03/25 06:19:23
mixmkr
boy...I'd put #10 wire on that 20a outlet, especially if it's on the other side of things.  But I want to say, here in the US, you can only put one 20a outlet per circuit... but I'm a non-licensed electrician

This is not true... The NEC requires a receptacle to be rated at 20 amps if it is the only receptacle on a 20 amp circuit. You can have several receptacles on a 20 amp circuit. The rule of thumb for residential guys is 6-duplex receptacles, for the guys that do the math it's 180 va. If you install more than one receptacle on a 20 amp circuit they can be rated at 15 amps. 

Rocky
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/24 09:18:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jay Tee 4303 2014/03/25 06:19:58
I worked in computer networking for a Federal Government Agency.  I'm now retired.  After much investigation and testing the agency settled on Isolated Ground wiring and Hubbell IG5262 (orange color) AC receptacles.  Isolated grounds require a separate, 3rd wire, that goes directly to the ground connection in the main circuit breaker panel directly to the orange AC receptacle.  This eliminates potential grounding problems using conduit or whatever.  This minimized (I won't say eliminated) AC power line problems and grounding, which also reduced noise on the power line. UPS systems were used on the office's file server and communications modem, and high $$ surge protectors on all the workstations (PC's) and peripherals.

If I were building/wiring a recording studio the Isolated Ground wiring/receptacles would be all I would use.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/24 10:07:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jay Tee 4303 2014/03/25 06:20:13
In a properly and solidly grounded electrical system, you should not have problems with more than one circuit supplying the power to the studio. You can even have circuits fed with both phases of the panel and have a studio that runs whisper quiet with no hum. Grounding is the secret. Proper grounding.

If you are planning and building a studio, you can ask the electrician doing the wiring to be sure that all the outlets that are in the studio area are ALL on the same phase from the panel. That eliminates one potential cause of noise.

In an existing building or house......If the studio gear has hum, and the wiring appears to be in good condition..... everything sized correctly, no reversed polarity wiring, no missing or broken ground conductor between the panel to the outlet.... one should then have a licensed electrician investigate the grounding of the service coming into the building.  A loose or missing ground at that location will cause issues. More than one time, while investigating an electrical issue in a customer's home or business I found grounding issues to be at the root of the problem. The ground rod in several cases had rusted and was only making a weak connection to ground. In another, the clamp was rusted and the copper ground wire was not connected solidly, and several were not connected at all to the ground wire. This would indeed induce a voltage and create hum and other issues in a studio which is sensitive to noise on the power lines.

For studios in most homes, the wiring in the USA is romex. 3 wires, in an insulated jacket with a ground. plastic boxes keep the recpt yoke isolated from any conduit which is generally not used in residential construction. Not around here anyway. So if hum is a problem, there are many things that might cause it and all should be investigated one at a time until the problem is located and repaired properly.

And don't forget that a bad or cheap unshielded mic or connecting cord in the gear rack can also be the culprit.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
The Maillard Reaction
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/24 11:00:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jay Tee 4303 2014/03/25 06:20:23
A point to keep in mind, we tend to think about maximum capability of a circuit while the safety guidelines are more concerned with providing a trip point or circuit break at a low enough level that it actually saves a life.

In other words, a small appliance plugged in to a circuit that has a 50amp breaker may kill you with 15 amps because the breaker never switched to safe when a smaller breaker would have.

I think that when you are accustomed to stacking a bunch of gear on circuit that sometimes you can forget what the breakers are for.

best regards,
mike

bluzdog
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/24 11:31:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jay Tee 4303 2014/03/25 06:20:58
fireberd
I worked in computer networking for a Federal Government Agency.  I'm now retired.  After much investigation and testing the agency settled on Isolated Ground wiring and Hubbell IG5262 (orange color) AC receptacles.  Isolated grounds require a separate, 3rd wire, that goes directly to the ground connection in the main circuit breaker panel directly to the orange AC receptacle. 

I've done a lot of those esp. in the '80's. Then 200% neutrals became all the rage in the '90's. I settled on the orange IG receptacles in my space. The bottom line: If your power company doesn't supply you with clean power, If you share a transformer with your neighbors or you have loads that cause harmonic distortion ( i.e. flour. lights ) in your building you will have noise unless you do something to clean it up. You can use an isolation transformer, equipment designed to clean up harmonic noise or a UPS.  For me a UPS is the easiest solution. If your serious you can rent a power analyzer meter that will tell you what's going on with your power over a defined period of time.

Rocky

bluzdog
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/24 11:55:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jay Tee 4303 2014/03/25 06:21:06
mike_mccue
A point to keep in mind, we tend to think about maximum capability of a circuit while the safety guidelines are more concerned with providing a trip point or circuit break at a low enough level that it actually saves a life.

In other words, a small appliance plugged in to a circuit that has a 50amp breaker may kill you with 15 amps because the breaker never switched to safe when a smaller breaker would have.

I think that when you are accustomed to stacking a bunch of gear on circuit that sometimes you can forget what the breakers are for.

best regards,
mike

Absolutely. Ground Fault and ARC Fault protection take it a step further. 10 milli-amps can kill a human if it's applied across the heart.

Rocky
Jay Tee 4303
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/24 12:23:23 (permalink)
Current plan is to pull control room PCs off the house circuit and onto the dedicated circuit w the racks in that room. At that point, control will be on one of the new circuits, w tracking on the other.

Guitar, bass, and the two sets of iso-room preamp/AD/DA gear will still be on the house circuit, however, connectionsbetween the iso-rooms, control, and tracking will be fiber optic only, ADAT via Toslink, which should avoid potential loops. There's a question whether Toslink will work reliably over the required 10 meter runs, but I am hoping that even if I have to use Toslink to Cat-5 conversion, I can avoid loops.

Guitar and bass are inherently noisy,  already gated, and may not need adfitional treatment, will decide that when I see how quiet the rest of the system is.

One interesting note, the 3 Furmann M8-Dx conditioners on the tracking room racks all report dufferent line voltages, usually a spread of 3-6 volts, unpredictable, even though all on the same, dedicated, circuit and duplex.

Mike, your note regarding breaker sizing and intent implies another potential issue, not as serious as personal injury but  of interest to studio operations all the same. If breakers on circuits are meant to avoid injury, not necessarily yielding advertised current supply, when they trip, computers go down with them if not on UPS, and my experience with Windows based PCs shows significant risk to file and operating systems when that happens.

IBM PC/XT
1 MB RAM
8087 Math Co-Processor
The Maillard Reaction
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/24 12:34:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jay Tee 4303 2014/03/25 06:21:25
I haven't used a UPS at my home since I had one burst into flames while I was sitting at my desk with Win NT3.5.

Luckily, I'm calm under fire, so I grabbed it, threw it outside, and got a hose pointed at it before it did too much damage.

I wouldn't try to talk some one else out of a UPS but I decided to pick my poison and take my chances with Windows 7 instead of the option I experienced.

wst3
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/24 12:57:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jay Tee 4303 2014/03/25 06:21:33
not to be contrary, but...

In a properly designed studio you can have a noisy ground system and it won't make a difference, your audio will be quiet. This does NOT mean that you should ignore the technical power system, and especially the ground portion thereof, but you need to realize that you don't even need a ground - except for safety. In a properly designed studio the audio devices do not reference ground.

A UPS does not take the place of a series mode surge absorber. A UPS will absorb a transient, but it won't be pretty, and you will need a new UPS<G>!  The other issue is that some UPS schemes generate a great deal of electrical noise, and dump it back into the power system. In a properly designed studio that won't be a problem, but why add to your potential trouble spots?

You should be able to feed your studio from both legs in your main breaker panel - they both reference the same entrance ground, and therefore the same neutral.

Best advice thus far... if you do not feel 100% comfortable doing, or even specifying the work then get some help from a qualified electrician that understands technical power systems.

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/24 15:18:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jay Tee 4303 2014/03/25 06:21:39
Rules for the average guy:

Any wiring connected to a given breaker has to be rated for the current the breaker can supply.
Use GFCI breakers for the circuit for maximum protection.
Invest in good quality power bars with AC filtering, most come with insurance on your gear.
Never run audio on circuits connected to kitchens or bathrooms.

If you do this, you should be safe, and noise will likely never be an issue. In music studios there's a possibility of grounded and ungrounded equipment being used. If you have the entire circuit protected with a Ground Fault Current Interrupter, it could save someones life and help you avoid serious liability. Make it safe before you make it pretty. If you follow those 4 steps, any noise is likely due to a specific fault that can be hunted down and fixed.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
wst3
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/24 18:42:38 (permalink)
an excellent overview John.

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Jay Tee 4303
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/25 06:35:36 (permalink)
20 years in construction taught me to wire up switches, duplexes, even live strings of lighting, but where I live, electrical work is done by pro's and inspected. I watched close when my standby generator was installed (why I don't use UPS) and didn't see any deviation from how I'd have done it, but I don't do any wiring here beyond replacing outdoor light fixtures.

Lets me sleep at night.

I told the bidders I wanted two 20 amp home runs for good power for audio equipment (and an outdoor circuit)  and got comparable prices with standard residential installs. I suspect bids would have been much higher if I'd uttered the words "recording studio". I picked from the middle of the pack, largely because they also service my generator.

The new audio power circuits are quiet as a mouse, tho I do have problems where equipment in split between new and old, but that may go away when I re-route those supplies.

The biggest question I had has been answered, here and in practice, I wanted to know how the two new circuits were likely to interact, ground and noise wise, and I have the impression the work was done as suggested here, because the system that now splits the two new outlets is quiet to max gain, and the only remaining issues are equipment on the old circuits.

I greatly appreciate the expertise offered here, and hope this will come up in searches for other people who might benefit down the road.

Thanks guys!

IBM PC/XT
1 MB RAM
8087 Math Co-Processor
wst3
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/25 07:47:26 (permalink)
so this may be going a bit far afield for a forum post, apologies if that's the case!

There are two ways to address electrical noise problems in a studio setting - you can deal with it at the source, or at the destination<G>. Noise is a given, and it is only going to get worse!

Noise is not, however, the problem... noise entering audio circuits is the problem!

I would never EVER suggest that you should not start with the quietest possible power system... that's just plain common sense. Less noise means it is easier to suppress it!

BUT, not everyone can start with a clean power and grounding system, so it is important to understand how noise gets in. And how you can mitigate it.

The first problem is single-ended interfaces. I don't want to sound like a snob, but single-ended inputs are a huge problem waiting to happen. Single-ended outputs pose less of a problem, but ANY TIME you share one conductor for signal return and shield you are starting out at a disadvantage.

Sadly, many manufacturers have forgotten the lessons of the past, and connect the shield in a balanced input to the circuit board. This is referred to as the "Pin-1 Problem", and it has been covered in great detail since 1995. If you search for "Pin-1 Problem", and Bill Whitlock or Neil Muncy or Jim Brown you'll find lots of material. The short version is that the shield should always be connected to the enclosure, and never to the circuit board.

Back in the 1990s I rebuilt an old analog console. One of the things I did was install a large copper buss bar, and I connected ALL the shields to that buss bar. At the time I assumed that the buss bar was responsible for the remarkable improvement in S/N ratio. Now I'm not so sure, I think it probably had more to do with removing the shields from the motherboard. One of these days I will test this hypothesis and report back.

What all of this points out is that a balanced interface is ideal, and that proper interconnection between a balanced source and a balanced input, including keeping the shield outside of the enclosures, and using cable with a braided or  Reussen shield instead of a foil shield, and no drain wire, and a tight, uniform twist. All of these things matter.

If you don't have balanced outputs then you can get the same noise suppression by wiring the connection as it it were balanced. There are lots of how-to documents, I recommend Rane App Note #110. Bill Whitlock has also written about how a single-ended source need not degrade performance of a differential input.

If you are dealing with single-ended inputs there is little you can do, other than balancing them. You can use transformers (use an input transformer, there is a difference) or you can build a transformerles input, the easiest way is to use the THAT InGenius(tm) chips. It isn't as expensive as it sounds if you only have a couple of inputs.

And putting to rest a myth that just won't go away... cable shields do next to nothing for typical noise problems. Twisted pairs and differential inputs do most of the heavy lifting. Shielding is only effective at radio frequencies, at power line frequencies the twist is the magic.

Speaking of which, if you are installing new power circuits consider using twisted wire from panel to outlet. It is available, it isn't horribly expensive, and it meets code. There is even a version that is shielded, and if you do have a lot of RF hash on your power lines it is quite effective.

That's probably enough general stuff for now... feel free to ask questions!

In the meantime for Jay Tee - for your equipment that is on the old power circuits...

Can you confirm that this gear is the only gear that is acting up, and if so does it act up when connected to gear on the new power, or stand-alone, or both? There are a number of potentially (pun unavoidable) inexpensive solutions that might help.

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Guitarhacker
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/25 10:15:21 (permalink)
A few points:

Not saying it wasn't done in the past, but, kitchen and bathroom circuits are not supposed to supply any other rooms besides those rooms...period. Code requirement now says "thou shalt not". Kitchen circuits, however, are permitted to supply dining room outlets.

A circuit breaker is not designed to save your life from electrocution. It is sized and designed to protect the wire insulation and prevent the wire from overheating and melting or damaging the insulation on it, thereby causing a fire from an overloaded condition.  A 20a circuit breaker (CB) will trip very close to, and generally slightly above the 20amp load level but that depends too on the duration of the load being applied. Commercial circuits are designed to run either continuous or intermittent. A continuous load should not exceed 80% of the branch circuit rating by code. Example of a continuous load being a lighting circuit in a store that will run for more then 3 hrs continuously. For a 20A CB that equates to a maximum full continuous load of 16a drawn from the circuit.

GFCI protection (ground fault circuit interrupter) is actually designed to prevent electrocution under CERTAIN circumstances, but not all. When the GFCI senses 7ma of current "leaking" from the circuit back through ground, it is designed to trip. If no current is leaking it will trip like any other CB at it's normal factory current rating.  There is no safety advantage to using them in any other places so, use them only where the code requires which is generally where they are close to water (kitchens and bathrooms) and outdoors and in basements and garages. The reason they are not "safer" in other "dry" locations is that often there is no path to ground for that "leaking" current to allow them to work properly.  The current in those cases, is not "leaking" from the circuit... it might be completing the circuit through your chest, going from the hot wire back to the neutral, but if it's not leaking out to ground, the GFCI is not going to trip. The GFCI sees that current flow as normal since it's not leaving the circuit and so it does not trip.

AFCI protection (arc fault circuit interrupter) is designed to "see" the signature of an electrical arc and shut down the circuit. Code now requires these in the USA in circuits feeding outlets and devices in sleeping areas. I'm not sure, but they may also be required now in other areas of dwellings as well. I don't actively work in the electrical construction side of things so I don't keep totally up to date on code changes that don't affect my day to day operations.

The amount or level of current that will kill a human varies from person to person and depends on many external factors such as health, level of voltage present, and probably most important, the conductivity of the skin which also varies throughout the day and with our activities.

We can generally feel 1ma under the right conditions as a tingle. 10ma gets into the area of pain and muscle contractions.  Somewhere along that upward level, the contractions are strong enough that the person is unable to "let go" of the energized object on their own. Depending on health of the person, 30ma to 60ma is the threshold for fibrillation.  Sustained contact results in tissue damage from the current, which produces heat in the tissue. Just like a shorted wire heats up, the tissue heats up and damage occurs at relatively low temperatures.

Ohms law applies.

Anyway..... thought you might like to know.  class dismissed

BMI/NSAI

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/25 13:06:43 (permalink)
Good stuff wst3. 
What popped into my head while you were explaining the pin 1 issue , is how many folks have issues with usb buss powered audio interfaces. Personally I don't recommend using buss power for audio interfaces. 
I owned a buss powered Fast Track pro that I gave up on because of a hi pitched noise. Later reading many posts by others with this issue I realized that this was a common issue with all buss powered interfaces. A special USB cable will solve the problem,, but to me that's not acceptable. 

My studio was wired by a guy who wires hospitals and even though we opted out on the orange outlets ( $$$) he used  isolated grounding. 

The main reason my friend advised keeping motor loads off your studio circuits was more for load draws that happen when they kick in. I have a friend who's lights go dim for a second every time his pump cuts in. Of course this all goes back to how a home was wired. People tend to go with the minimum. My gang likes to overbuild. Where the code allows for the 12 outlets, we use 8 to 10. My friend with the pump issue used #12 wire and the run is 200'. He will be replacing his burned out pump as a result. My pump has #10 wire @ 150' My lights don't go dim. 

Which brings us back to wire size/ breaker size. This is for Canada /USA. 
I'm just quoting from what I understand and not from a professional view so bash me if wrong. 
In a workshop we need heavy duty outlets for power tools and motor loads. 
In a house, all appliances will never exceed the need for a standard 15 amp breaker. 
Therefore household circuits are standardized to handle the potential requirements of each room. It is also standard practice to balance the rooms with the circuit sharing lighting and outlets. Last time I looked this was 12 per circuit. It seems to change. 
#14 wire is also standard as that matches the current requirements of 110v/ 15 Amps. 
If you were to use #12 wire this would absorb more heat from an overload and the breaker might not trip as expected. 
So as far as I understand you match the wire to the breaker. 
#14 = 15 amp 110V
#12=  20 Amp 110V 
Sizes beyond that are then usually 220V . Reason being of course is as the voltage this doubles the available watts without requiring larger wire or breakers. 
Example, most electric baseboard circuits are#12 wire and 20Amp breakers. 

Anyhow ,around here nobody will have 20 Amp Household circuits in living rooms and bedrooms. They would be considered dangerous. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/25 14:03:21 (permalink)
not being a registered electrician, I think I miss stated my previous about one recepticle on a 20 amp circuit.  I was trying to say I THINK on 20 amp recepticle (the round ones, that look like a regular two slotted w/ground) per circuit.  Always open to be told wrong.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Guitarhacker
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/25 15:01:03 (permalink)
Cactus Music
 #12 wire and the run is 200'. He will be replacing his burned out pump as a result. My pump has #10 wire @ 150' My lights don't go dim. 

Which brings us back to wire size/ breaker size. This is for Canada /USA. 
 Last time I looked this was 12 per circuit. It seems to change. 
#14 wire is also standard as that matches the current requirements of 110v/ 15 Amps. 
If you were to use #12 wire this would absorb more heat from an overload and the breaker might not trip as expected. 

Anyhow ,around here nobody will have 20 Amp Household circuits in living rooms and bedrooms. They would be considered dangerous. 

Wire length with a fixed resistance per foot, times the current of the load, equals a voltage drop across the wire distance. If the voltage at the load is too low, the device will not function, and may burn up due to overheating as it tries to run on a lower voltage. This will burn up a pump. A larger wire will display a lower resistance per foot, allowing the voltage to be higher at the load. I deal with this all the time when installing fire alarm signaling circuits and the horn strobes we place on those circuits.  the larger the gauge of wire, the less voltage drop across the wire. Bigger is better, but bigger costs more, so many folks will use the smaller size wire on circuits when cost is a factor, like in house living room and bedroom circuits. Loads tend to be smaller so it's often not a big problem.

Using ohms law E over IR  and power ohms law P over IE, you can calculate the voltage drop and the power dissipated as heat in the wire. Resistance per foot is obtained from the NEC tables and appendix or google it.

I believe it is a common calculation to use 180va for an outlet in factoring the maximum number permitted on a circuit based on CB size. So 12 on a 20a CB would seem about right as the max number. Less is OK too. I try to limit them to 7 or 8 depending on the circumstances when I am wiring something new.

#14 ga cu wire is correct for a 15a CB.  Using a #12 cu wire would be OK too. The larger wire does not "absorb" more heat. The CB will still trip at the correct level of overcurrent. The CB's trip based on 2 things.... one is heat build up over time in the circuit breaker (not the wire) .... this is the reason a circuit for continuous duty (3 hrs or more non-stop) is derated to 80% or 16 amps on a 20amp CB. The other reason it trips is due to the magnetic field created by the current. Some CB's are designed to be used in motor applications and will hold 2 to 3 times their rated current for a very limited time. These breakers have a special marking to indicate this. Usually about one and a half seconds is all they will hold depending too on the level of the current. This is to allow a motor or a compressor to start properly. I have metered 50+amps on a 20a CB on motor start and the CB holds..... but not for long. In a locked rotor condition....click after 2 seconds or less.

A 20 amp circuit is no more dangerous than a 15 amp circuit. Size the wire and breakers correctly and they are both just as safe. I would prefer to have 20a circuits over 15a circuits because they can hold a larger load.

In my old house, some of the wiring is certainly not up to today's code requirements. It's not dangerous, just that the bathroom circuit also feeds other rooms. So a few times, my wife would be using the blow dryer and the hot curlers and the TV was going and a few other things like some lights, when suddenly, the 15a circuit breaker tripped.
post edited by Guitarhacker - 2014/03/25 15:03:07

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/25 15:08:53 (permalink)
mixmkr
not being a registered electrician, I think I miss stated my previous about one recepticle on a 20 amp circuit.  I was trying to say I THINK on 20 amp recepticle (the round ones, that look like a regular two slotted w/ground) per circuit.  Always open to be told wrong.

It's imprinted in the outlet device's plastic so it can be identified in the field. Plus, the neutral slot looks like  "T" rather than a straight slot.

BMI/NSAI

bluzdog
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/25 20:04:30 (permalink)
"Using ohms law E over IR  and power ohms law P over IE, you can calculate the voltage drop and the power dissipated as heat in the wire. Resistance per foot is obtained from the NEC tables and appendix or google it."

2KIL/CMA is the voltage drop formula. K= constant which is 12.9 for copper, I = amps of the required load, L= distance to the load in feet. Circular Mill Area ( CMA ) can be found in the chapter 9 of the NEC.

"A 20 amp circuit is no more dangerous than a 15 amp circuit. Size the wire and breakers correctly and they are both just as safe. I would prefer to have 20a circuits over 15a circuits because they can hold a larger load"

Absolutely... You won't find 15 amp branch circuits in commercial buildings. You would be pretty hard pressed to get a breaker to trip using your body as the load. GFI and ARC fault protection are much better at this.

It seems this thread has split into two separate topics: power quality and electrical safety.

Rocky
post edited by bluzdog - 2014/03/25 20:38:11
wst3
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/25 23:23:44 (permalink)
bluzdog
It seems this thread has split into two separate topics: power quality and electrical safety.

They aren't really separate topics, but it is wise to place safety first! It is really pretty easy to build a safe, and quiet technical power system.

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Jay Tee 4303
Re: AC Mains Past 20 Amps 2014/03/26 03:21:44 (permalink)
Bill, I can't confirm specifics right now, but I will when I can. What I know at this point is three areas of noise, spread over four rooms of equipment. Guitar and bass I'm not worrying about at this point, if ever, leaving twoIissues.

In the control room, interfaces, pres and processers are on the new circuit, while both PCs are on house wiring. I get hum when both interface outputs are into the small mixer. Either by itself, no prob. First move there is to get the PCs onto the new circuit and see whats what. Theres a nest of surge protectors involved, which allow the WAN demarc, firewall, and switch to remain up fulltime, ISP requirement, and another switch that goes up and down w the PCs, pkus a third layer to allow me to power off the  video monitors while the PCs stay up. Ima have to move that carefully to preserve that functionality, hence the delay.

The other issue is in the listening room, where feeds from a laptop DAW for remote recording, come together w feeds from the tracking room, thru a mixer into flown stage monitors above a large LCD. TR is on a new circuit, laptop and monitors are on house wiring. 

Tougher to get them off the house circuit but may not have to. Part of the current upgrade is to connect tracking, control, listening/laptop, and an iso room together. Backbone is ADAT via lightpipe thru an Optiplex +. There's an excellent chance the noise issue will disappear when the balanced audio runs are replaced w fiber, since selective unplugging negates it now.

More as I have it, and thanks! Much help!

IBM PC/XT
1 MB RAM
8087 Math Co-Processor
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1