AC guitar recording technique

Author
WannaBeJazzer
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2007/05/09 19:19:31 (permalink)

AC guitar recording technique

Hey there-

I'm having trouble recording some fingerstyle on my J-200. I'm using my old AKG c1000s at at least 12" away, aimed a little in front of the sound hole. Problem is I'm capturing a lot of thump on each of the notes - sounds like someone's taping their finger on a desktop each time a note is played - sort of anoying once you tune into it! (the musical passage is just eight note arpegios)

any ideas on how to avoid this at time of recording? I'm afraid EQ will loose to much of the guitar's character... Also, my environment is pretty noisy, so I can't easily add more distance to the mic...

regards,
former CWU wannabejazzer.

10 Replies Related Threads

contact@jondunn.org
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 767
    RE: AC guitar recording technique 2007/05/09 20:12:26 (permalink)
    does your J-200 have a pick-up installed under the saddle?
    chrysb93021
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: AC guitar recording technique 2007/05/09 20:43:47 (permalink)
    Those AKG's came with an insert for the capsule to make it hypercardioid. Put that on and aim it upward toward the neck starting a bit above the sound hole. It should reject more of the thump that way.
    evansmalley
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 715
    RE: AC guitar recording technique 2007/05/09 20:55:55 (permalink)
    you really ought to get out of the sound hole! and get a little further from the guit- also, I think C1000's are really not great sounding mics to start with, just basically. We A/B'd them with lots of stuff, didn't matter WHAT you did, they just always sounded worst. But I found that SM-81's were overrated too, as well as some real expensive sounddesign and telefunken stuff too. So maybe we're just idiots!

I think you should try better placement of the mic and see what you can get from it that way. If you're picking up thumps from a medium-to-small diaphram condensor, you're probably too close to the air stream from the soundhole.
    newfuturevintage
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1848
    RE: AC guitar recording technique 2007/05/09 21:06:18 (permalink)
    I'd think it better to get closer to the bridge than the soundhole.

One trick as well for the c1000 you don't see often mentioned is to take off the top totally. Leave off the hypercardoid adaptor too. This opens the pickup pattern up a bit, and reduces some of the proximity effect, but your real problem is you're too close to the soundhole.

My inner child is an angry drunk.
    SH
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 942
    RE: AC guitar recording technique 2007/05/09 21:19:19 (permalink)
    Sweetwater has a QT video on recording AC guitar. Basically he recommends using two mics. One 6"-9" from the sound hole off-axis pointing down the neck. The other 6"-9" above the neck around 2nd or 3rd fret pointing down along the same plane at the strings.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: AC guitar recording technique 2007/05/09 22:04:12 (permalink)

After your done trying different mic placements I am guessing you may still have some things to work thru... so here's some questions.

question 1): Is it a real J-200 or an Epiphone?

question 2): Why are you using one of the great flat picking guitars for fingerstyle (jazz???)?

question 3): Have you tried different strings?

I can relate to the idea of having a favorite instrument regardless of it's suitability but this is the reason many studios have a few "loaner" guitars to provide the *sound* when a talented musician has a mismatch with the instrument and the style they are working in.

best regards,
    mike
    David C
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: AC guitar recording technique 2007/05/09 22:38:52 (permalink)
    Hello wannabejazzer, first off, I got the AKG sound check CD a few years ago and one of the complete surprises, in fact, one of the best tones on the whole thing was the C-1000 on acoustic guitar. You want to angle it towards the body a bit but aim it right at the 12th fret, or whatever fret where the neck meets the body about 8" to 12" away. Never ever aim a mic into the sound hole, all you'll get it thump as I guess you've found out.

Also, seems like mine has these little plastic deals for supercardiod and maybe treble boost. Might wanna get those off of there, they don't help much for what you're doing.

For whatever reason, this mic gets dissed a lot on forums, but I think it kills on acoustic if you place it right and set your gain right. It's also praised by the tape op guys for guitar amps although I honestly haven't tried it on that.

Just don't sing into it. I like it for several things but it ain't a vox mic!
    WannaBeJazzer
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: AC guitar recording technique 2007/05/10 01:47:46 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for the good responses on placement. I'll try to share a bit with each of you.

I do have a pair of these mics (such as they are) and might give the dual treatment. Though from your description SH, I'm not sure if both mics were on the north side of the soung hole. (both on fingerboard end, or one on fingerboard, one south of the bridge).

Is the J-200 real? yes and no. I believe it's a pre-lawsuit ibanez, never had it inspected, and the dude I bought it from in '81 didn't know. but yeah, interesting on the preference thing. I've tried Taylor and Martin OM and everytime I do, I leave the store thinking that the improvement is mighty slim - diminishing returns, you know! I'm sure there are some much better guitars out there, santa cruz or such, but I've never had my mitts on one. Yes, I play jazz and folk.

Dont use a c1000 on vocals? Dude, that's actually why I bought it - lol (well, that and I couldn't afford the 414)- cause I certainly can't go get myself another voice! and this mike ads a lot of artifacty edge that my mushy vocal tone needs - that and some cheap reverb!

Happy trails - mike.
    s_barber
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 390
    RE: AC guitar recording technique 2007/05/10 10:13:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: WannaBeJazzer

Thanks everyone for the good responses on placement. I'll try to share a bit with each of you.

I do have a pair of these mics (such as they are) and might give the dual treatment. Though from your description SH, I'm not sure if both mics were on the north side of the soung hole. (both on fingerboard end, or one on fingerboard, one south of the bridge).

Is the J-200 real? yes and no. I believe it's a pre-lawsuit ibanez, never had it inspected, and the dude I bought it from in '81 didn't know. but yeah, interesting on the preference thing. I've tried Taylor and Martin OM and everytime I do, I leave the store thinking that the improvement is mighty slim - diminishing returns, you know! I'm sure there are some much better guitars out there, santa cruz or such, but I've never had my mitts on one. Yes, I play jazz and folk.

Dont use a c1000 on vocals? Dude, that's actually why I bought it - lol (well, that and I couldn't afford the 414)- cause I certainly can't go get myself another voice! and this mike ads a lot of artifacty edge that my mushy vocal tone needs - that and some cheap reverb!

Happy trails - mike.

I use my c1000 on vocals and like the edge I get with it. Works for me too!
    SH
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 942
    RE: AC guitar recording technique 2007/05/11 09:08:24 (permalink)
    Though from your description SH, I'm not sure if both mics were on the north side of the sound hole. (both on fingerboard end, or one on fingerboard, one south of the bridge).

This is one frame of the video I mentioned...

post edited by SH - 2007/05/11 09:15:30
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1