ACT control of envelope in rapture?

Author
weston_hunter
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
2007/05/15 20:58:22 (permalink)

ACT control of envelope in rapture?

I just started playing with the Rapture demo, so I'm not familiar with it. I've searched the forums looking for the answer, but I'm not able to find it. Presumably, this question is so basic it's addressed in either the help file or in the forums somewhere -- I'm just too dense to find it.

According to everything written by others, almost everything visible in the Rapture user-interface can be automated. Here's my question: After creating an EG curve, how can I easily setup ACT to control various EG elements? I mainly want to ACT control the time-length of particular segments in a multi-curve EG.

I understand that Rapture's envelope creator goes way beyond what could be done with a simple ADSR interface. However, ADSR lends to very nice realtime control of those 4 elements. I want to know how to get that same level of real-time control using the fancier Rapture EG.

Thanks,

Weston

2 Replies Related Threads

weston_hunter
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: ACT control of envelope in rapture? 2007/05/15 21:33:58 (permalink)
    Hi,

I've been playing around a bit more. I discovered that you can use the Modulation Matrix to set the X-Y Pad X and Y source parameters to Volume Attack and Release destination parameters. I then used ACT to map two sliders on my control surface to the X and Y positions on the X-Y Pad. Hence, I can control attack and release using two sliders.

I'm EXTREMELY new to Rapture, so I don't know if this would be considered an appropriate approach to doing this? Ideally, I'd like to be able to arbitrarily use ACT to control the individual EG segments, but this is at least a step in the right direction. Is there a cleaner way of implementing this?

Sorry for asking such a newbie questions.

Cheers,

Weston
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: ACT control of envelope in rapture? 2007/05/15 21:44:14 (permalink)
    Weston, you're not going to get control over individual node positions, as far as timeline position and level at each point. There's potentially an unlimited amount of those. Now that's out of the way ...
    I mainly want to ACT control the time-length of particular segments in a multi-curve EG.
    This, I can help with. In Rapture, your Note On intiates the actions after it. It's off and running, so you've already set that in motion, and it doesn't lend itself well to manipulation until the next Note On. The EG display represents one envelope of all of the envelopes that are currently in motion (per-note).

But ... there's are ways to have control over the segment lengths. Highlight a node in the EG, and press "V" on the Qwerty. Then drag up and down in the display. The perceived time between nodes will be changed for a given velocity input. With "K", each segment is lengthened and shortened by keyboard position.

Vel->tim, Vel->int, and VelTrack are more global in nature over an EG's parameters. Speaking of Global, CC73 is Global Attack over *all* Amp EGs, and CC72 is Global Release over *all*. In the MIDI Matrix, EG Attack and EG Release can be controlled individually for any type of EG that you see, in any Element.

I didn't address ACT with any of this, but I don't see the advantage over what's there already. There's something to be said for the repeatable configuration, but ... I'll give you one example. If you want to control the Sync parameter of a tempo-sync'ed EG, Shift+right click on it, and MIDI Learn your external control in. That control now proportionally changes the length of that envelope. It's be locked in, across all instances, until you MIDI Forget it, or swap to one of the nine other MIDI configs.

Edit:I didn't see your second post. Right-click in the X-Y for an EZ Midi Learn over the source. You've already found the Volume destinations in the Matrix.
    post edited by b rock - 2007/05/15 21:50:38
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1