ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? - SOLVED

Author
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
2011/04/13 07:26:06 (permalink)

ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? - SOLVED

I'm trying to export ACT presets I've made for the Kore controller so I can post them here for anyone who wants to use their Kore unit as a nice functioning control surface. I've been assuming they live somewhere in a Shared Presets folder or the like, but now that I've got them done I can't find the ones I've made - they appear in the list, I can load them and save new ones, but I can't find them anywhere. I can find other ones I've made, but not the new ones. 

Scott? Anyone? Kind of frustrating to have finally got them polished up but be unable to find them in order to post them... 
post edited by subtlearts - 2011/04/13 11:29:05

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...

15 Replies Related Threads

subtlearts
    Re:ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? 2011/04/13 09:24:11 (permalink)
    by way of an update/bump... I have found where X1 puts SOME presets... as expected, in docs&settings/userx/Application Data/Cakewalk/Shared Presets - in one of those subfolders with complex names. HOWEVER... it doesn't put ALL of them in there. Others must live somewhere else - and not in that folder at all, or anywhere that Windows Search can find. It also seems random whether they appear there when I save a new one or not. 

Furthermore... if I move that folder away and restart Sonar, it still knows about those presets - it must store them with their locations in a table somewhere - but it can't load them because they're not there. Put the folder back in, it can load them, no problem. 

This raises several issues: a) where are the other presets? b) why not store them all in one place? and finally c) how can I load new presets into that list? just dropping a new one into the folder doesn't work, because X1 doesn't know to look for it there as it's not on the secret list, wherever that lives. 

Man, this is a drag. I want to share these setups, there are several people waiting who want them, but I'm stuck! Any help appreciated... 

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    subtlearts
    Re:ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? 2011/04/13 09:55:10 (permalink)
    This is making me crazy. Here, for your viewing pleasure, is the ENTIRE entry in the manual for ACT presets:

ACT presets

After you have carefully configured the ACT MIDI Controller property page to work with your controller/surface, you will likely want to save the configuration as a preset.

To save a preset

●  Type a name in the Presets window, then click the Save (floppy disk) button. 

... yes, no mention at all of import or export or where the presets are stored. I managed to find the ones I was looking for, kind of randomly, but as far as I can tell there's no way to get it to show up on the list. And the list itself must not be stored in any format that Windows Search can read - it doesn't show up... so even if I could find it, I wouldn't be able to edit it to put new entries in. 

This means that the ONLY WAY to put new presets onto that list is to create them by hand and save them. And they will never leave your computer. You can't take them from one computer and put them on another one, say your laptop that you might want to use the same surface on. You have to recreate that sucker by hand. 

I'd LOVE to be proven wrong about this, but I've run into a brick wall myself. It's kind of staggering. 

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? 2011/04/13 10:25:30 (permalink)
    i thought the presest were store in the preference menu.this is where i locate my act files..or how i get to them i should say..in preferences/control sirfaces.i think..im sorry im not sure right now im not at my daw..ill get back later.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

chuckebaby
    Re:ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? 2011/04/13 10:27:48 (permalink)
    i believe it when you open up the act module..if you have it in your control bar.there is a small button in there.you need to press this button to access the settings..try putting the act module in the control bar.then access it that way.you will see a bunch of settings for setting act.but then there is another button to save and load settings..

Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB

codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? 2011/04/13 10:53:33 (permalink)
    Charlie: I think subtlearts has already saved the presets, but is wanting to share those files with others to save them time. Problem is - Sonar is not very clear at where it is saving those presets. 

I just saved a preset with a very unique name, then searched my entire computer for that preset and it could not find it. A search of the registry revealed that it is likely stored there. I'm not sure what good that does though, as it becomes nearly impossible to back it up or share it. You will surely lose all those settings when you move to a new computer, or re-install the old one.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    subtlearts
    Re:ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? 2011/04/13 11:02:29 (permalink)
    Charlie - the dialog you're talking about will let you import plugin mappings, which are saved as nice clear xml files. And yes, there's save/load functionality in the ACT plugin page for each controller, but no import/export functionality, and while it's possible - sometimes - to find the preset file in one of the shared preset folders, it's not possible to load a new one by simply dropping it into that folder. I've no idea where presets are stored when they're not in one of those folders, as seems quite frequently to be the case... 

Moreover, again, SONAR seems to hide the information about what presets will be available in a secret place, quite possibly as codamedia has suggested in the registry somewhere. I hadn't thought of that, I'll have a quick look around in there, maybe it would be possible to add presets to that list through a little low-key registry hacking?

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    dwcaldwell
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re:ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? 2011/04/13 11:10:32 (permalink)
    You export ACT Presets from the Cakewalk Plugin Manager. 

Go to Utilities->Cakewalk Plug-in Manager.

Select "Control Surfaces" in the Plug-in Categories box.

Select "ACT MIDI Controller" in the Registered Plug-ins box.

Click the "Export..." button in the Cakewalk Plug-in Presets group box.

You can save them anywhere you want to from there.

Regards,
    Don
    chuckebaby
    Re:ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? 2011/04/13 11:15:18 (permalink)
    sorry subtlhearts..if anything i got you a bump to get some answer buddy..good luck   :)

subtlearts
    Re:ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? 2011/04/13 11:19:52 (permalink)
    charlie - no worries

Don - THANK YOU!!! I don't know why I didn't think of that, except that, well it's completely illogical. However, it looks like it'll work and I'm happy to have learned something new and useful today.

Ironically while you were posting that I was finding a method, which worked incidentally, of adding a preset to the list through adding a registry entry. However, the plugin manager will make it a bit easier... and maybe less dangerous, at least for folks that don't often crack open the big R... 

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? 2011/04/13 11:31:59 (permalink)
    Yes - a big thanks to Don as well! Of course, I didn't need this until subtlearts brought it up, but ever since it's been bugging me - LOL!

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    dwcaldwell
    Re:ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? 2011/04/13 11:42:49 (permalink)
    No problem, guys.

I learned it because I'm slothfully lazy so I obsess about backing things up, therefore I only ever have to do anything once. 
    subtlearts
    Re:ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? 2011/04/13 14:02:47 (permalink)

I can relate... except that I'm also horribly negligent about backing things up...

anyway. It seems to work, but the question remains - why is it in a completely different dialog, as opposed to having an import/export button where you're actually working on it? 

And, why store the list as a registry value? While poking around in there I observed that SOME presets are stored as files, so the registry entry contains a reference to said file, in one of the weirdly named subdirectories of the Shared Presets folder. BUT - and this is a big but - some are stored as binary data IN THE REGISTRY ITSELF - and therefore not as individual files. 

I'm far from a programmer myself, just a nominally-informed bystander, so hardly qualified to comment... but... does this seem efficient to you? Or does it seem, I don't know, needlessly convoluted and arcane?

I'm just asking... 

post edited by subtlearts - 2011/04/13 14:04:01

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    dwcaldwell
    Re:ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? 2011/04/13 14:44:07 (permalink)
    subtlearts

anyway. It seems to work, but the question remains - why is it in a completely different dialog, as opposed to having an import/export button where you're actually working on it?  

And, why store the list as a registry value? While poking around in there I observed that SOME presets are stored as files, so the registry entry contains a reference to said file, in one of the weirdly named subdirectories of the Shared Presets folder. BUT - and this is a big but - some are stored as binary data IN THE REGISTRY ITSELF - and therefore not as individual files.  

I'm far from a programmer myself, just a nominally-informed bystander, so hardly qualified to comment... but... does this seem efficient to you? Or does it seem, I don't know, needlessly convoluted and arcane? 

I'm just asking...  
    I can only speculate, obviously, but my sophisticated wild-a$$ed guess is that the preset lists are stored in the registry for the same reason that the presets are managed in the Plug-in Manager...one-stop shopping convenience. It makes sense to me to have one common dialog to manage presets for a plethora of plug-ins rather than implementing a separate dialog for each. And keeping them in the registry is essentially storing them all in one "file" for convenient access. But, again, this may just be me seeing things through my laziness filter.

~Don
    subtlearts
    Re:ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? 2011/04/13 15:53:48 (permalink)
    That makes a certain amount of sense, I guess. Would have been nice if they had thought to mention it in the manual though. I just looked through the pages on the Plug-in Manager itself, and no mention is made of the Control Surfaces section, so even if you know to look there, there's no information about it. Bit of a weak spot there. 

And why store some entries as binary registry data and others as files referenced in the registry? Is it a size thing? If it's more than a certain amount of data, make a file for it... Ach, just pondering, really. As you were. 

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Raam
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:ACT saved presets - anybody know where they live? 2012/03/10 16:04:54 (permalink)
    I write simple program, that Export ACT presets from registry in .reg file. No need installation. Just run prog and reg file will be in the same folder with program.
     Now you have BackUp of your presets, or share it with other computers or people.  Its Free.
    http://depositfiles.com/files/c6qdyzdme
    post edited by Raam - 2012/03/10 16:14:09

My profile in Russian Cakewalk Forum
    http://sonarmusic.ru/foru...?action=profile;u=1556
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1