AD2 *.INS file creation

Author
King Conga
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 519
2018/08/16 17:19:14 (permalink)

AD2 *.INS file creation

So, I using AD2, and I want to create an *.INS file to map everything on the AD2 Stnd map. I was hoping maybe someone had already done one, or if it's like Cubase where you could export the .INS file to a .TXT file.

Something else re: AD2. Does it make sense once you've created a MIDI Master track along with all of the audio trax to export all of the Toms to their own MIDI track? I'm guessing I wouldn't have to remap anything, but let them play thru the same individual audio tracks, and when I want to convert all of those audio tracks I can just mix them down to 1 Toms track. Make sense? I want to do the same thing with the cymbals as well; except for the hi-hat. One feature suggestion would be to allow the export of a kit from the Drum Map window to an *.INS file. Sure would make life much sweeter.

KC

Mobo:ASUS M5A97 EVO/CPU:AMD FX-6200
WD SSD 250Gig
Video:AMD Radeon HD 6670, 2Gig RAM Sys: RAM:16Gig/120Gig SSD, 1TByte
O/S: Win10 Pro 64-Bit
PreSonus 1818VSL/Alesis Fusion 8HD/Presonus FaderPort8, JBL LSR308
Sonar Plat/Aud. CS6/BIAB2019/ST3.7/SO3.5

4 Replies Related Threads

AntManB
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 144
    Re: AD2 *.INS file creation 2018/08/17 17:09:06 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if this is quite what you're after but I've always used the template and map from here:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013364/Setting-up-a-Drum-Map-for-Addictive-Drums-2-in-SONAR

Cheers,

AMB

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: AD2 *.INS file creation 2018/08/17 18:12:51 (permalink)
    As far as I know, .ins files are only used for external MIDI devices, not VST instruments.

The provided AD2 track template and drum map that was linked above are all that you should need to use AD2.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    abacab
    Re: AD2 *.INS file creation 2018/08/17 18:36:58 (permalink)
    From the Cakewalk docs:

Why use instrument definitions?

The main reason to import or create an instrument definition is so you can use patch names that are specific to the MIDI module you’re using, instead of using generic General MIDI patch names. It’s much easier to find a particular sound on a MIDI module when the actual names of the patches in the current bank of sounds pop up on a list, instead of just the numbers 0 to 127, or General MIDI names like Trumpet. Of course, if you’re only using General MIDI modules, General MIDI patch names might be all you need. You can also rename each MIDI output with the name of the MIDI module it’s connected to. For example, it might be more meaningful to name a MIDI output Roland Sound Canvas instead of MOTU MIDI Express 5. That way, you won’t have to remember that you connected the Sound Canvas to the MOTU MIDI Express output number 5—the name Sound Canvas shows up as an option in the Output field of each MIDI track in SONAR’s Track view. Also if you have an effects processor or module that’s hard to get to in your studio, you may
    find it convenient to control it from SONAR.

What can they do and not do?

Instrument definitions don’t increase the number of sounds or the capabilities of your modules, they just make it easier to find and remember the sounds and/or MIDI controllers you want to use, if they’re not all generic General MIDI items. After you define an instrument, SONAR displays the names that you choose for the sounds in each of that instrument’s banks, rather than displaying the same 128 General MIDI names over and over for each bank of sounds

Where do instrument definitions come from?

The patch names and other characteristics of each particular MIDI module are supplied by the manufacturer, and are contained in an instrument definition file, which is a text file written in a format SONAR can read. Many of these files come with SONAR, and many more are available at Cakewalk’s website, and also at www.lilchips.com. Instrument definition files have the extension .ins and can contain a definition for only one instrument, or definitions for several instruments. For example, the file Roland.ins contains definitions for many Roland modules. The file Misc.ins contains miscellaneous definitions that might include your instrument if you don’t see a specific file for it. You can find these files in your SONAR folder. The file Master.ins contains all the instrument definitions currently loaded into SONAR, and determines the list of instruments that appears in the Assign Instruments dialog box.

abacab
    Re: AD2 *.INS file creation 2018/08/17 18:39:39 (permalink)
    Since the AD2 drum map clearly displays the kit piece name for each note in the PRV, I'm not sure what problem would be solved with an instrument definition file.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1