Helpful ReplyADAT Mic Pre

Author
gbowling
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 315
2017/09/26 20:52:23 (permalink)

ADAT Mic Pre

I was considering adding an ADAT Mic Preamp to my RME UFX. It occurs to me that if you attach a Mic Pre via ADAT, it basically becomes the piece of gear that does all the stuff that contributes to the sound, the Mic Pre stages and the A/D conversion. So I'll no longer be using any of the UFX A/D conversion or any of the analog circuitry of that unit. It basically becomes a conduit for the 1's and 0's of the digital signal. 

Essentially, from a "sound" perspective, it pretty much takes the interface out of the equation. Sure you still have the latency, stability, and smooth operation of the RME UFX, which is great. But all of the things the characterize the "sound" now become components of the Mic Pre. 

With that said, I need to study more about ADAT Mic Preamps. I was considering a "run of the mill" unit like the Audient ASP800. Which still might be a good unit. But maybe I should invest in something better. After all, even if I change interfaces down the road, it's likely that I'll still have the Mic Pre. The life expectancy of a good mic pre is probably a lot longer than the life expectancy of an interface, even though the UFX is pretty long. 

What does every here think? And does anyone have suggestions for an appropriate 8 channel ADAT Mic Preamp?

Thanks, gbow

gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/26 21:00:01 (permalink)
I have an RME UCX and an Audient ASP880.

I do use the clock link from the UCX to the Audient. The Audient doesn't have an ADAT input so you have to hook up the clock cable or sync the UCX to the Audient.

It works fine.

My UCX has SPIDF too, so I can lock to the clock in my Tascam 2488 giving me 24 inputs at 44.1.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
BlixYZ
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 805
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/26 22:37:17 (permalink)
i wouldn't call the audient pres, "run of the mill".  Presonus and Focusrite and Behringer make run of the mill pres.  Audient's are definitely nicer!

James W
BlixYZ Recording Studio
BlixYZ Records

Audient ASP800 thru Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Mackie Control Universal + C4
Yamaha HS50's plus Matching Sub, Tannoy 501a
Blue Baby Bottle, AT 4050, Neumann TLM 103, etc.
UA 610, Focusrite/ART/Neve 2CH.
Windows 10
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/26 22:53:32 (permalink)
BlixYZ
i wouldn't call the audient pres, "run of the mill".  Presonus and Focusrite and Behringer make run of the mill pres.  Audient's are definitely nicer!

Great example of totally incorrect information on the internet! Focusrite actually make some of the highest quality Mic Pres available. Especially the ones in their thunderbolt range. I have got a Scarlett 18i20 and recently just made a very high quality recording through it as well.  Focusrite also make a real nice ADAT Mic Pre but it is quite a high price.

Presonus are also quite fine indeed. The Behringer older ADA8000 Mic Pre is also one of their finer products.  I have made supreme high quality recordings through them in the past so lets put that myth to bed.

Good thing now the newer Behringer ADA8200 Mic pre is very very good indeed.  They have improved it big time. Mic pres are all Midas now and they sound fabulous. Very affordable as well. The Behringer has both ADAT In and OUT so all you need is two optical leads and set it into slave mode and it all works perfectly.

Try and get an ADAT Mic Pre that has both optical IN/OUT connectors.  It is handy to be able to lock it via the optical connection rather than the word clock. You may need the word clock on your RME for something else that is more important.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2017/09/26 23:39:51

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
gbowling
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/27 01:57:04 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Try and get an ADAT Mic Pre that has both optical IN/OUT connectors.

Good point. Although there aren't many with both In/Out. Even the RME octamic XTC which is 3x the price of most of the boxes mentioned, only has ADAT out and bnc word clock in/out. 

gbow 

gswitz
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/27 02:32:26 (permalink)
do you currently use all the outs you have? I'm not being difficult, I'm honestly curious. I have not often been limited by my outs.

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
BlixYZ
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/27 12:55:49 (permalink)
agree, focusrite make some killer pres, but i'm not impressed by those included in their interfaces.
standalone products are a different story.  sorry for the incomplete thought!

James W
BlixYZ Recording Studio
BlixYZ Records

Windows 10
BlixYZ
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/27 12:59:15 (permalink)
also, I think people are making killer recordings everyday with run of the mill pres.  even with cheap pres.  I know i have.
but the audient pres sound almost as good as API pres.  They are sweet and warm.
Presonus and focusrite put decent pres in their interfaces, but make some top notch outboard gear.

James W
BlixYZ Recording Studio
BlixYZ Records

Windows 10
gbowling
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/27 15:29:55 (permalink)
gswitz
do you currently use all the outs you have? I'm not being difficult, I'm honestly curious. I have not often been limited by my outs.

No I don't really have a problem with outs either, it's more of a clocking question. I suppose since I don't have multiple digitally connected devices, allowing the Pre be the clock is just as good as running a word clock back and using the clock in the UFX.

However, all of that is mostly secondary to the actual preamp. Sounds like most people believe that preamps are so good these days that spending the extra for higher dollar units isn't really worth it. If that's the case, my original thought of the audient ASP800 is still a pretty good idea. It does seem to be a lot of bang for the buck at approximately $750 compared to things like the octamic XTC at around $2500.

gbow

Jeff Evans
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/27 20:35:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gbowling 2017/09/28 14:30:43
I have found from experience it is better to make the ADAT Mic Pre the slave, digital clock wise not the other way around.  The reason is that the RME is naturally the master clock. It works well when it stays that way and can send a clock out to the ADAT Pre you want to connect to it.  The other reason is the quality and stability (jitter) of the master clock is going to better inside the RME as well. You want the best quality clock in charge.

The Audient looks nice but is expensive. If you are paying that sort of money the Focusrite would be equally as good for around similar cost:

https://uk.focusrite.com/mic-pres/clarett-octopre

The Focusrite Pres would easily be on a par with the Audient. The AIR switches are on all 8 channels and are very similar to the IRON switch on the Audient. They add in a nice transformer colour and sound real good. The Focusrite can do other tricks though. All 8 analog outputs are available on the D sub connector and the Focusrite can be programmed to do things the Audient cannot such as mix all 8 inputs into 2 outs so you could use it as mixer live. You set this all up on a computer and dump that into the unit so no computer is required live when in mix mode.

The Behringer ADA8200 would also sound pretty nice with the Midas Mic Pres on board for under half the price or even a third the price.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2017/09/27 22:52:03

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
gbowling
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/28 12:03:39 (permalink)
Good info Jeff, thanks for that. 

gabo

batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/28 14:20:34 (permalink)
rme babyface would be perfect

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/28 19:22:43 (permalink)
gbowling

Good point. Although there aren't many with both In/Out. Even the RME octamic XTC which is 3x the price of most of the boxes mentioned, only has ADAT out and bnc word clock in/out. 

gbow 

The XTC has ADAT I/O, MADI I/O & AES I/O.  It also has the ability to be controlled directly in Total Mix from the UFX and is a great D/D format converter.  It is what I use, now with a UFX+, and it does an excellent job. 

On some source material, it may be hard to tell the difference between a Behringer Pre or Focusrite, or Audient & RME.  Especially if the mics and monitoring are not up to snuff.  But RME and Audient can provide noticeably better quality in the right circumstance. 

Daniel Rumley
Rumley Music and Audio Production
www.rumleymusic.com
Jeff Evans
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/28 20:37:08 (permalink)
rumleymusic

On some source material, it may be hard to tell the difference between a Behringer Pre or Focusrite, or Audient & RME.  Especially if the mics and monitoring are not up to snuff.  But RME and Audient can provide noticeably better quality in the right circumstance. 

Don't agree. Very few circumstances and not so noticeable especially where the mics are great and the monitoring is great.  In fact in those situations it might be harder to tell.  The mics and the source material rule.  Mic Pres are very very good these days.  A lot better than they once were. 

I agree though comparing the Behringer to the XTC which is an excellent product for sure.  (Major difference in price though) Not sure about Focusrite compared to Audient though.  They are similarly priced and featured and I would imagine much closer than you think.  

I recently did a classical solo piano recording with the Focusrite Pres (Clarett) and they sounded beautiful.  Even compared to RME Mic Pres.  Which are also excellent of course. 

gswitz
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/29 03:11:29 (permalink)
The Focusrite liquid channels sound awesome.

RME is great.

Audient is solid but not perfect. I'd rather have an RME xtc.

The Audient asp880 I got has an impedance switch per channel. Idk if I can actually hear much difference on these other than gain.

Low pass per channel is a nice to have, but I have it on the RME anyway.

Mine had tons of noise near the nyquist frequency when I got it. I had to send it for repair twice before they got the right firmware properly installed.

In general it is a pretty cool interface though.

gbowling
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/29 11:46:33 (permalink)
I had not looked at the focusrite clarett octapre prior to the suggestion here. It's been updated recently and the new specs on it are actually quite a bit better than the audient asp800. Noise floor of 118db vs 112db for the asp800 among other things. For approx $300 less than the asp800 it might be the right way to go if I'm going for the lower cost units. The big benefit of the asp800 is the iron and hmx settings, however I don't know how much I would use those. I tend to prefer recording a clean signal and doing things to it in sonar instead of "burning in" the FX.

As for the XTC, yes that is still something I'm considering. The operation with totalmix is an excellent point. Totalmix is really excellent and of course is used with my UFX so I'm already trained on how to use it. The XTC would clearly be a long term winner, but based on comments here it's becoming hard to justify the approx 4x price over the octapre.

Thanks, gabo

gswitz
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/29 11:56:51 (permalink)
Gabo, the main reason I would like the xtc is the auto level. I find this incredibly useful and predictable.

Any ADAT interface will come into TotalMix, so from my point of view there isn't much advantage there. The only TotalMix feature you lose with a different make is gain control.

Jeff Evans
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/29 12:10:52 (permalink)
The AIR switches on the Focusrite are I am pretty sure very similar to IRON in that they are simulations of a transformer signal path.  It is available on all 8 channels.  It adds top end to the sound and in some cases it is nice to have and use.  Recently I found it was a little too much on drum overheads making them a tad bright.  Or at least with the Mics I was using at the time.  I found a good thing to do is a little test recording with and without AIR to see which is a good match for the source. The pres are perfectly flat and transparent with AIR switched off. 

I see the Magnetic saturation on the Audient is working in the analog domain which is interesting. The Focusrite is also doing this in the analog domain. They are changing the input impedance and therefore altering the relationship between the microphone output impedance and the Mic Pre input impedance.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2017/09/29 22:37:44

batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/29 14:04:42 (permalink)
do you need more than 2 preamps?

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

gbowling
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/29 14:47:23 (permalink)
gswitz
Any ADAT interface will come into TotalMix, so from my point of view there isn't much advantage there.

Ah, thanks for that, totally true as anything that comes into the UFX is going to show up in totalmix. An additional $1800 or so for auto level seems like more than it's worth at this point.

And yes I need more than 2 channels. I currently use all the line inputs and mic pres on the UFX (it has 12) and I need 4 or 5 more. And it has to be an ADAT capable unit as that's the only way I can get expansion. So I'm looking for a good quality 8 channel ADAT preamp. I'm willing to spend a little more for better quality, but I'm not sure about 4x for what seems to be a barely identifiable quality increase. For that additional $1800+ for something like the XTC or better there needs to be some fairly obvious improvements.

Thanks, gabo

gswitz
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/30 04:55:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby seriousfun 2017/10/03 05:26:47
Gabo,

You can use up to three ufxs or ucxs together. We're you aware? Each plugs into a separate USB port but they act as 1 huge input into Sonar.

Just consider it.
post edited by gswitz - 2017/10/03 12:14:47

Jeff Evans
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/30 20:40:11 (permalink)
gswitz
Gabo,

You can use up to three ufxs our ucxs together. We're you aware? Each plugs into a separate USB port but they act as 1 huge input into Sonar.
Just consider it.

Not sure about that.  Not sure where you are getting this information from.  It certainly does not seem to say anything like that on the RME site.  Usually it is not possible to connect more than one interface at once.  On the site it says it is compatible with USB 3 chipsets. Were you thinking you could connect to 3 USB ports.  That is not what they mean.  That means it is USB 3 compatible.

What I do like about RME interfaces is the fact they often have many analog inputs such as 10.  Plus the 2 ADAT ports increases the total input count to 26.  The other 4 inputs are via other digital inputs which one does not often do. e.g. SDPIF etc.. 

Most software cannot handle more than one interface at once.  Studio One can now though but only in that you are allowed to have one interface handling inputs and another outputs.  You cannot still sum all the inputs at once.  Although on a MAC I believe you can using an aggregate device setup. 

The UFX firewire port only runs at 400 speed.  I have been working with a borrowed Fireface 800 for a while and it runs at 800 speed which is damn fast.  I can get very low latencies with that model.  The RME Mic Pres are very nice.

The Focusrite Octapre or Audient are still good companion add on preamps.  I have been using a Behringer ADA8000 connected to the FF800 and it all works rather perfectly.  At my place of employment we are about to get the Clarett 8 Pre X and two ADA8200 preamps.  I suspect that will also all work pretty nice too. 

gswitz
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/30 22:16:45 (permalink)

I have confirmed this also works with UCX devices but haven't mixed and matched. I'm pretty sure you can mix and match. By this I mean you can have a UFX and a UCX both working together.

In TotalMix in the upper right hand corner is a drop down. This will show each device and you can flip between them.

TotalMix does not allow virtual routing between devices, so if you are mixing everything to mains, you will have to send out of one device into another using physical cables.

You could virtually route between the devices using Sonar if you wanted to.

I'll tell the truth, it's a little complicated to have two TotalMix windows that are both active. It's a lot easier to have your heap of inputs come from a UFX and 2 related 8 channel converters sending into the ADAT inputs in your UFX. Then you get one big control window.

I will say, my favorite thing to do with my UCX when using it for live mixing is to loopback the ADAT and SPIDF. When I have less than 8 inputs in the gig, I can then use stereo compression and stacked EQs.

In this video I talk about it...
https://youtu.be/mAMp9MPAj3k

At the time I made the video I was only first discovering the possibilities (September 2014).

Don't forget that you can download and run DigiCheck which has great analysis tools.
post edited by gswitz - 2017/09/30 22:43:25

gswitz
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/30 22:33:28 (permalink)
Both ADAT and SPIDF can be looped back on the RME UCX (no SPIDF on UFX).

This means that you can plug in 8 inputs...
Route all 8 to SPIDF out with stereo panning.

Also Route all 8 analog inputs to ADAT Outs...
Route all loop-backed ADAT Ins to SPIDF out with identical stereo panning to initial 8.

Now, input FX like compression/expansion and EQ will be on both the parallel tracks.
One of the parallel tacks (the one going to ADAT) has 2 additional stages of EQ and Compression. The first stage is on the output of the ADAT channel and the second stage is on the input of the ADAT channel.

Now, you have parallel compression and as many as 3 stages of EQ on your tracks you send to the SPIDF output.

For your main mix, you have the EQ and compression on SPIDF output (which loops back to SPIDF input).
You have another level of EQ and compression on the SPIDF input.
You route the SPIDF input to the Main Outputs from your interface (say headphones 7/8 and Mains 5/6).
You have a final stage of EQ and compression on this final output.

gswitz
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/30 22:37:05 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
gswitz
You can use up to three ufxs our ucxs together. We're you aware? Each plugs into a separate USB port but they act as 1 huge input into Sonar.
Just consider it.

Not sure about that. Not sure where you are getting this information from. It certainly does not seem to say anything like that on the RME site. ...

https://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufx_e.pdf

See section 10 >> Using more than one Fireface UFX on page 25.
post edited by gswitz - 2017/09/30 23:24:37

gswitz
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/30 22:40:38 (permalink)
Caution... my posts kept getting deleted by the spaminator. I tried to break them up into smaller posts and hope they survive.

They are not in the order that I typed them in.
post edited by gswitz - 2017/09/30 23:12:19

gswitz
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/09/30 23:30:29 (permalink)
Using this loop-back method to stack FX in the UCX, what is the latency?

RME
How much Zero is Zero?
From a technical view there is no zero. Even the analog pass-through is subject to phase errors, equalling a delay between input and output. However, delays below certain values can subjectively be claimed to be a zero-latency. This applies to analog routing and mixing, and in our opinion also to RME's Zero Latency Monitoring. The term describes the digital path of the audio data from the input of the interface to its output. The digital receiver of the Fireface UFX can't operate un-buffered, and together with TotalMix and the output via the transmitter, it causes a typical delay of 3 samples. At 44.1 kHz this equals about 68 µs (0.000068 s), at 192 kHz only 15 µs. The delay is valid for ADAT and SPDIF in the same way.

So at 44.1, latency is 0.00024 seconds.
at 192, latency is 0.000045 seconds.

The reason I have tripled the numbers is that I'm describing a scenario where you

pass 1
  bring the signal in on the analog inputs and
  out through the ADAT outputs, and SPIDF outputs
pass 2
  back in through the ADAT inputs and
 out through SPIDF outputs (merging with pass 1 direct to SPIDF signal)
pass 3
  In from the SPIDF outputs
  and out to the mains

The timing of your parallel tracks will be off by 0.000068 seconds at 44.1. I can't hear it.
The SPIDF out doesn't have any phase dangers because you send the whole mix through it.

The biggest benefit of the SPIDF loop-back is that you turn your single 3 band parametric EQ into a 9 band parametric EQ at the cost of 0.000068 seconds at 44.1.

You can use the SPIDF loop-back without the ADAT Loopback. So, if you are recording 16 channels, you still get 9 bands of parametric EQ...

Lastly, the parallel compression thing can get tricky if you forget to align the pans between the input and ADAT channels.

Jeff Evans
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/10/01 19:11:50 (permalink)
Thanks Geoff I am surprised and impressed by multiple RME units to be used in tandem.  It was not that obvious from browsing their product description. That feature could be more visible.  Many would be interested in knowing that several interfaces can be used.  Great for expansion options.  Multiple main interfaces also would mean hopefully extra ADAT connectivity for each one, ADAT preamps being a quick and effective way to expand your input and output options. 

gswitz
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/10/01 21:50:39 (permalink)
Totally is, Jeff. I think USB bus limitations make the UFX plus and madi expansion using USB 3 to be the path that RME thinks professionals should use. Especially if you really need 94 inputs.

I have some friends with RME gear, so we can get together to expand our capacity. I think that is the best practical use.

Honestly, engineers who practice teaming up can become a force in their local music community.

While TotalMix and the RME interfaces work well together in good circumstances, RME doesn't support it officially because too many computer related things can make it work erratically.

Sixteen inputs is usually enough for me.

There is a performance aspect for engineers. Packing in, setting up, capturing correctly, breaking down, packing out. Having a talented peer with you helps ensure everything works smoothly.

gswitz
Re: ADAT Mic Pre 2017/10/02 01:10:37 (permalink)
https://youtu.be/lTHmki4VyfE

I made a video about how to use the SPIDF Loop-back to stack the fx.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1