AKA Tommy Chong

Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2009/03/05 18:39:48 (permalink)

AKA Tommy Chong

Just watched this documentary last night ("A/K/A Tommy Chong"), which chronicles Tommy Chong's prosecution/persecution by the Ashcroft Gestapo. It'll make you angry and paranoid, but it's also very funny.

The government spent 12 million dollars and devoted hundreds of public employees to the pursuit of Chong, swooping in on his home during a pre-dawn raid with guns, dogs and helicopters. All for selling glass bongs on the internet.

Chong ultimately plea "bargained" for a 9-month prison sentence in exchange for the feds promising not to go after his wife and son. It's a sad tale. But recommended viewing nevertheless.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff

22 Replies Related Threads

ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/05 18:58:48 (permalink)
    Was it on TV, or is it something that can be rented or downloaded?

Thanks,
    Ed

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    bitflipper
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/05 19:01:08 (permalink)
    I got it from Netflix.

My Stuff
    bitflipper
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/05 19:09:46 (permalink)
    It's obvious that Americans neither invented nor have a monopoly on Official Idiocy.

I don't know what Vimto is (a soft drink, apparently) but I'm pretty sure it sells for considerably less than £40,000 a bottle.

Equally amusing is the initial punishment: a year and a half off work with full pay.

Now, the McNuggets incident, though, I can understand. McDonald's restaurants have been robbed at gunpoint for McNuggets. They must be something special, although I have never tried them and am actually unsure which part of the chicken is the "nugget".

My Stuff
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/05 19:11:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fog
    I know of his films with Cheech , but here's to very recent stories from both sides of the pond, to be objective.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4933967/Florida-woman-calls-911-three-times-over-McDonalds-Chicken-McNugget-shortage.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4925913/Police-spent-200000-investigating-officers-for-stealing-Vimto.html

Wow!!!
    That first one reads like an Onion article... so crazy it couldn't have happened, but crazy enough that really... it had to happen eventually.

The second one's pretty funny/sad too. Hippies have been complaining for years that cops just smoked all their confiscated weed. Maybe they were right?

- zevo
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/06 08:07:23 (permalink)
    Bitflipper - similar I am sure to another documentary that chronicled our government's campaign against John Lennon.

It is a curious phenomonen to see government agencies convince themselves they are not wrong by escalating. It seems the more you point out the silliness of their actions, the more they step things up to show you how serious is the situation. A self feeding loop.

Wasn't Tommy Chong born Canadian ? Someone told me he was born in Calgary? Did they try to deport him ?

Even though I do not smoke anymore, I want to buy one of his bongs.

Anyrate, I am going to Netlix this one, thanks for the post.

JR

post edited by auto_da_fe - 2009/03/06 08:29:19

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    thebiglongy
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 502
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/06 08:48:51 (permalink)
    Tis a cracking documentry tbh. Always loved the Cheech n Chong movies and standup.
    There is another good documentry online called The Union: The business behind getting high.
    Great little docu if your a bit of a toker, and interested even if your not.

What makes it all even more messed up is that in 12000 years of known usage, both for medical, spiritual and recreational, there has only been 1 recorded death from smoking cannabis. And even that death was down to a reaction that the person had with THC. Much like you or i could eat strawberries, peanuts or bread, then one day we eat a bit more to find that our body floods us with histamines and kills us off.

post edited by thebiglongy - 2009/03/06 08:50:45
    bitflipper
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/06 16:52:57 (permalink)
    Wasn't Tommy Chong born Canadian ?

Yes, he was born in Alberta, IIRC, and met Cheech in Vancouver where he had formed a comedy troupe along the lines of Second City. Ultimately the troupe disbanded but he and Cheech continued as a duo.

No mention was made in the film about his citizenship, so I don't know if he ever became a US citizen or not. Even if he is still a Canadian citizen, I'm guessing the crime was not serious enough to warrant deportation.

Of course, it wasn't serious enough to warrant nine months in prison, either.

Even though I do not smoke anymore, I want to buy one of his bongs.

Absolutely. Just to show which side of the debate you're on. I hope the last election made a similar statement to the John Ashcrofts of the world.

My Stuff
    bitflipper
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/06 16:54:49 (permalink)
    in 12000 years of known usage, both for medical, spiritual and recreational, there has only been 1 recorded death from smoking cannabis

That's only if you don't count the ones who died in prison.

My Stuff
    ParanoiA
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/06 19:37:02 (permalink)
    I try not to get worked up about stories like this as an advocate for ending "victimless crime". What a freaking waste of money chasing down a bong salesman. He ever kill anyone? Rape anyone? Molest any kids? Unless we've caught all the murderers, rapists and molesters, how in the hell do they justify diverting capital FROM catching violent criminals TO catch pot smokers?

Imagine how safe our streets MIGHT be, if all of our resources and manpower spent on victimless crimes were shifted to catch people who hurt other people?

I'm absolutely disgusted at the behavior of our government to punish victimless crime, particularly marijuana, prostitution and gambling. I can't believe we're so obsessed with judging each other's behavior that we'd imprison fathers - the providers of multi-dependent families - for such a thing. If you consider the damage to the entire family, how their lives are changed as mom becomes effectively "single mom" and all the great social benefits we've seen from that arrangment...it becomes clear that ruining someone's life for smoking something you believe ruins their life, isn't noble, it's tyrannical, cruel and shameful.
    thebiglongy
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/07 05:28:28 (permalink)
    No-one else has died directly from use of cannabis, in prison or out of it mate. Those who have died in prison usually died either from the laws of prohibition or from getting involved with gangs or other drugs ;)
    thebiglongy
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/07 05:29:47 (permalink)
    http://www.unodc.net/jobs.html

Looks like someone has hacked the United nations office on drugs and crime, website lol.
    AndyW
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2956
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/07 17:40:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ParanoiA

I try not to get worked up about stories like this as an advocate for ending "victimless crime".

There are no "victimless crimes". Now...before you go all angry on me read on...

What a freaking waste of money chasing down a bong salesman. He ever kill anyone? Rape anyone? Molest any kids? Unless we've caught all the murderers, rapists and molesters, how in the hell do they justify diverting capital FROM catching violent criminals TO catch pot smokers?

I agree with you...spending 12M to prosecute *one guy* who, as you say, is a low risk to society, is foolish.

Imagine how safe our streets MIGHT be, if all of our resources and manpower spent on victimless crimes were shifted to catch people who hurt other people?

I agree...but keep in mind that there is significant overlap in substance abuse(including alcohol) and violent crime.

I'm absolutely disgusted at the behavior of our government to punish victimless crime, particularly marijuana, prostitution and gambling.

Again..there is no "victimless crime".

If you consider the damage to the entire family, how their lives are changed as mom becomes effectively "single mom" and all the great social benefits we've seen from that arrangment...it becomes clear that ruining someone's life for smoking something you believe ruins their life, isn't noble, it's tyrannical, cruel and shameful.

The same effects occur to families because of prostitution and gambling so your argument falls flat...however...

I am actually closer to agreement with you on legalization than the above implies simply because our current laws don't work and arn't enforced. I am fairly libertarian but I believe other things need to change in our legal system regarding *responsibility* before any currently illegal drugs are legalized. The first step for me would be this: Anyone who kills another(violence, car accident, work error) while proven to be under the influence of a self-administered chemical substance gets the death penalty. End of story. For lesser harm, life in prison. You can't blame "the drug" if you put it into your body yourself. That would put responsibility on the user for their choice. This would include alcohol BTW. Until we have a legal system that holds people responsible who misuse chemical substances and harm others, we don't have a right to use them. Another needed set of civil laws would be that employers and establishments would be allowed to enforce their own drug policies...ie: an employer can say that his/her employees may not use certain substances, the mall can say "no drugs" just like they can say "no smoking". The Constitution has a right to free association...that is also a right to non-association.

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    bitflipper
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/07 21:51:26 (permalink)
    No-one else has died directly from use of cannabis, in prison or out of it mate. Those who have died in prison usually died either from the laws of prohibition or from getting involved with gangs or other drugs ;)

My point exactly. Living in a prison is much more hazardous to one's health than any drug.

My Stuff
    thebiglongy
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/08 07:51:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: AndyW

I am actually closer to agreement with you on legalization than the above implies simply because our current laws don't work and arn't enforced. I am fairly libertarian but I believe other things need to change in our legal system regarding *responsibility* before any currently illegal drugs are legalized. The first step for me would be this: Anyone who kills another(violence, car accident, work error) while proven to be under the influence of a self-administered chemical substance gets the death penalty. End of story. For lesser harm, life in prison. You can't blame "the drug" if you put it into your body yourself. That would put responsibility on the user for their choice. This would include alcohol BTW. Until we have a legal system that holds people responsible who misuse chemical substances and harm others, we don't have a right to use them. Another needed set of civil laws would be that employers and establishments would be allowed to enforce their own drug policies...ie: an employer can say that his/her employees may not use certain substances, the mall can say "no drugs" just like they can say "no smoking". The Constitution has a right to free association...that is also a right to non-association.

I find it hard to agree with the eye for an eye theory when those who do cause death could be put to good use breaking bricks in a quarry and working off thier debt to society. I dont feel the prisons of today in the uk do anything to turn offenders away from returning as most prisons allow you tv's in your cell, you have access to more things than most in the outside world, hell most the people i know who been to prison actually said they would have no worries about going back there.
    If your look at eye for an eye style judgements then i'd say work them to the bone for 25years then give them the option of injecting themselves to die. I dont believe it should be the responsibility of an individual to do this for them.
    Much like samuri allows thier own to kill themselves as a mark of shame/respect.
    Lesser harm? depends on how you judge that tbh. But the term in prison and conditions should be relative to the crime for sure.

As for drug use, a user cannot blame the drug as it was the user who took the drug, the only problem here is that many are not educated on the full effects which means they often react without realising. But as i said, it is ultimately down to the user.
    As for Alcohol, if it were created today it would have been prohibited under section 1 or class A in the uk (and we all know that wouldn't didn't work in the past lol). It is a drug that has NO medical value and also destroys the lives of hundreds of thousands every year around the globe.

I dont believe that its right that employers say that someone may not use a certain substance, as far as im concerned, if you can get the work done to the same or better standard when high, then why should they have any reason to complain.
    I do however believe more education is needed, not only for the users but for those who suffered at the hands of yellow journalism and as such have become totally anti drugs. The medias hysteria has really got people worried to the point that parents are now thinking that just because thier son doesn't want to go out like all the rests of the kids, he's smoking cannabis. Or if he comes home and has the giggles then is a bit moody later on, has been smoking cannabis. They have just plastered the tv, papers with propagander that has made people fear the worst instead of talking and listening.
    thebiglongy
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/08 07:53:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

My point exactly. Living in a prison is much more hazardous to one's health than any drug.

Hehe, in that case mate, sorry if i jumped on ya lol.
    There are more hard drugs in prison than there are available on the streets, and the worst part of it is that the government think they can stop drugs on the outside, yet they are unable to stop them getting into thier prisons, in the first place lol.
    ParanoiA
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/08 14:20:56 (permalink)
    Original: AndyW

I am actually closer to agreement with you on legalization than the above implies simply because our current laws don't work and arn't enforced. I am fairly libertarian but I believe other things need to change in our legal system regarding *responsibility* before any currently illegal drugs are legalized.

Hey I can appreciate your point here. It's a good one and compliments the arguments I use to justify decriminalizing what I consider to be "victimless crime" to begin with, and that's the notion that it's about personal responsibility and accountability as part of the bargain for individual empowerment, which is a founding principle of our republic. I'm of the Jeffersonian stripe, so I tend to be a little militant about my expectations and what constitutes a "victim". I don't disagree with you here, though.

AndyW
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/08 15:00:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thebiglongy
    I dont believe that its right that employers say that someone may not use a certain substance, as far as im concerned, if you can get the work done to the same or better standard when high, then why should they have any reason to complain.

I would ask that you think about professions like police officers, firemen, crane operators, pilots, train operators, ship captains, etc etc. Some jobs have enough external risk that the employer should have a right to specify conditions. For example, police and firemen have physical standards. This is no different IMO. This is the balance of personal liberty versus the liberty of others. Since the employer is taking the risk, they should have a say in the standards.

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    AndyW
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/08 18:19:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ParanoiA

the notion that it's about personal responsibility and accountability as part of the bargain for individual empowerment, which is a founding principle of our republic.

Yep...we in agreement...I recommend we shoot all the lawyers and start over with a new set who have actually *read* the Constitution...

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    Cheeto
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/09 07:33:30 (permalink)
    For those interested, every once and a while the History Channel runs something like a six part series called, "Hooked...illegal drugs and how they got that way" Real eye opening stuff like...

Reefer madness with people supposedly jumping out of windows? Passing a stamp tax on it, so that they could arrest you in a Catch22 when you tried to apply for one?

Marriage counselors giving X to their "patients"? Yea...what did they expect the outcome to be?

Sears & Roebuck selling needles and doses of heroin by mail order?

Banning opiates to get rid of Asian immigrants who like built the Golden Gate Bridge? Passing laws if they wore their hair a certain way they'd be persecuted?

The C-eye-A giving LSD to soldiers...you know...just to see what it does?

This is only the tip of the iceberg here, and factual, the material within that programming is truly baffling and something they'd never dare educate you about in school. If you think people who abuse drugs are silly, after you watch those documentaries you may feel those who pass the laws against them are even dumber.

Really disappointing hearing about Tommy Chong, I think he's a funny guy (but helicopters deployed? is this the movie NBK?) This is moronic considering I live within driving distance of a quite a few "head shops" (not that I have any need for anything they sell, Jeez..I barely take asprin) Somehow I think in Chongs case it has something to do with shipping his creations over state lines. I may just rent this to see just how another wise use of my hard earned tax dollars get spent.

Oh, and btw you guys gots to stop using the word bong in this thread (or the mods may delete it) The secret code word is "Tobacco water cooler"

mark s
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1140
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/09 22:45:16 (permalink)

Just watched this documentary last night ("A/K/A Tommy Chong"), which chronicles Tommy Chong's prosecution/persecution by the Ashcroft Gestapo. It'll make you angry and paranoid, but it's also very funny.

The government spent 12 million dollars and devoted hundreds of public employees to the pursuit of Chong, swooping in on his home during a pre-dawn raid with guns, dogs and helicopters. All for selling glass bongs on the internet.

Chong ultimately plea "bargained" for a 9-month prison sentence in exchange for the feds promising not to go after his wife and son. It's a sad tale. But recommended viewing nevertheless.

Ashcroft,... don't get me started!

We here in Missouri voted a dead man into office to get his butt out. I drove from a job in Colorado Springs solely to make sure I did my part.

The ultimate irony was another of GW's brilliant decisions, but we all know where THAT went.
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: AKA Tommy Chong 2009/03/09 22:50:03 (permalink)

although I have never tried them and am actually unsure which part of the chicken is the "nugget".

You may not want to know the answer to this question! Especially if you ever intend on trying them!!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1