ALL SET! Thanks to Jim... OT: Dead power supply

Author
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
2008/11/01 00:16:51 (permalink)

ALL SET! Thanks to Jim... OT: Dead power supply

Update: Jim Roseberry just called me back, and the replacement PS he sent works fine! I just had to plug the MB connector in and leave 4 pins free. I told you hardware isn't my forté...

While I'm at it, I want to thank Jim publicly for his support. I called him the other night when this happened, and he offered a replacement he had on hand at a silly-low price.

He's been there for me before (he built my DAW), and has always offered this level of support. Thanks, Jim at studiocat.com!

-Susan

Hi All-

[Moderators, feel free to move this -- Gear forum, maybe?]

I'm totally dead in the water, have been for several days. My power supply died. It was an Antec 450 watt in a Sonata II Antec case. I'll take the old power supply with me when I go shopping, but I should be able to just plug everything new into everything old, correct? Or do I need to worry about the screw holes, etc.?

Any recommendations re where I should shop for this? Software, I know -- hardware, not so much!

Thanks-

-Susan

post edited by Susan G - 2008/11/01 12:54:20

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64

13 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: OT: Dead power supply 2008/11/01 00:56:12 (permalink)
    Are you going online or brick? What is the MB and processor? I would get something in the above 500 watt range these days. Susan I am sorry to hear this but we will get you up and running in no time.

Best
    John
    bentedgz
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: OT: Dead power supply 2008/11/01 00:56:30 (permalink)
    Susan,

Your case is a standard atx mid-tower and you should have no problem getting one that fits. I would suggest a modular ps that has the "80%" (efficiency) certification.

The modular type allows you to use only the plugs that you need for your rig, cuts way down on the wire hairballs. I build custom PCs for specialty applications and below are links to a couple that have performed well for me. And if you have several drives and or cards onboard it certainly doesn't hurt to upsize the wattage (much better to have more rather than less than you need)

PS 1

PS 2

Good luck!

Bent
    Houndawg
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    RE: OT: Dead power supply 2008/11/01 03:49:03 (permalink)
    Another custom builder here... Seasonic/Corsair brand power supplies have NEVER let me down... best recommendation I can give by far. Plus, they're extremely quiet which is perfect for DAW use. Don't be fooled by wattage ratings. By that I mean the standards (lack of) to measure and market them are all over the place making it nearly impossible to compare one model/brand to another.

I've built several DAWs over the past few months with the Corsair CMPSU-450VX model, which is more than adequate for most DAWs, even heavily configured ones. The 450 Watt rating is very conservative and very real. It can be had from Newegg.com for $80 (Edit - and a $15 mail in rebate!) . Plus there's even a newer 400 Watt model for only $60. I've used the modular cable 520 watt version in my heavily configured rig below for quite some time now, and it's performance has been flawless.

I've written several times in the past in this forum about the absolute critical importance of the power supply in a DAW that is solid, stable, and reliable -- I can't stress the importance of a high quality power supply enough. There are few other good models/brands available, but Seasonic and Corsair (Corsair brand power supplies are actually manufactured by Seasonic) have never given me a reason to use anything else -- and as a result ALL of my custom systems have performed incredibly well, many for several years now.
    post edited by Houndawg - 2008/11/01 03:58:57

hounDAWg

LynxTWO-B/UAD-2 DUO/UAD-1
    DynaudioBM5A/AlphaTrack/RD-700GX/PCR-800
    ASUS P5K-E/Q6600@3.0GHz/4GB
    2-WD Raptors(74/150),2-320GB(BFD2/VSTi)
    2-XFX PCIe/4-17"LCD
    AntecP182/NoctuaNH-C12P/CorsairTX650
    Sonar8.3.1/XP/Vista32
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    RE: OT: Dead power supply 2008/11/01 05:49:59 (permalink)
    ...I can't stress the importance of a high quality power supply enough. There are few other good models/brands available, but Seasonic and Corsair...

Another good brand: Tagan.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: OT: Dead power supply 2008/11/01 09:06:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Susan G
    I'm totally dead in the water, have been for several days. My power supply died. It was an Antec 450 watt in a Sonata II Antec case.

That is interesting, as I have the same Antec Sonata II case (with 450 watt PS) that has been giving me problems lately. It is about (2) years old. When I press the main power switch on the front panel nothing happens. I have to uplug/replug the power cable to the back of the computer several times (sometimes a lot of times), each time pressing the front power switch until it catches and comes to life. Very strange indeed! Now, I hardly ever turn the computer off (24/7) as I am afraid the next time it will never power up. I was thinking it was either the PS going bad, the MB going bad or maybe the front panel power switch is just actually flaky. Unfortunately, with the Sonata II cases you can't easily take the front panel cover off to investigate that. I wonder what the exact issue might be.

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    RE: OT: Dead power supply 2008/11/01 11:57:55 (permalink)
    Susan,

Good luck. Lots of good avice here. Take note of any connectors that are going unused on your power supply (8-pin vs 4-pin 5V mother board connector, or video card boosters). I would then take the old supply with you and check out the connectors on any candidate supplies you find while shopping. Also perhaps you realize that the main power connector on the power supply often has a clip on extension set of pins to accomodate the variable number of pins found on legacy-vs-newer motherboards.

Billy,
    This sounds like a motherboard issue to me. My daughter's pc had the same issue and I had to short out two pins on the main connector to the supply for the power supply wake up and then just power the pc up and down with power supply switch in the back. In my case, the switch still worked fine to shut down or start windows, but the fans kept running after shut down, hence the use of the power supply switch to bring it all the way down.
    Susan G
    RE: OT: Dead power supply 2008/11/01 12:13:51 (permalink)
    @John- ASUS P5B-E, Intel Dual Core.

I've been waiting to hear back from Jim Roseberry, who was nice enough to send me a replacement. The problem is the MB connector is a 20-pin, and I need a 24-pin. I don't suppose there's an adapter for that?

Otherwise, I wouldn't care if it's online or brick except I want to get it working today!

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to see what's available locally. If nothing looks good I'll order online.

@Billy- That's weird, and makes me a little nervous! I did unplug/replug the power cable several times. This has happened before after a power outage, but it always started up after a few attempts. You're right, though, I suppose it could be something other than the PS.

Thanks, everyone-

-Susan

P.S. @feedback- Just saw your post. Uh-oh. Motherboard issue, you say? How the heck to know?

Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: OT: Dead power supply 2008/11/01 12:28:31 (permalink)

ASUS P5B-E, Intel Dual Core.

@Billy- That's weird, and makes me a little nervous! I did unplug/replug the power cable several times. This has happened before after a power outage, but it always started up after a few attempts. You're right, though, I suppose it could be something other than the PS.

Even more interesting as we not only have the same CPU case/PS, but we have the exact same MB/CPU combo. It has been working great for the past (2) years. This just started happening in the last couple of weeks. Once it is powered up my DAW works flawlessly. Yeah, I am not sure if it is the MB, the PS or a faulty front panel power switch........hmmmmmm..........
    post edited by Billy Buck - 2008/11/01 12:32:39

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

Susan G
    RE: OT: Dead power supply 2008/11/01 12:33:46 (permalink)
    Also perhaps you realize that the main power connector on the power supply often has a clip on extension set of pins to accomodate the variable number of pins found on legacy-vs-newer motherboards.

I don't see anything like that, but does that mean I might be able to adapt the 20-pin connector that came with the replacement PS to the 24 on my motherboard?

Clueless-

-Susan

feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    RE: OT: Dead power supply 2008/11/01 12:34:26 (permalink)
    Susan,
    In the case of my daughter's machine, I had checked switch continuity with an ohm-meter, and swapping the supply did nothing for me. I researched the standard power supply connector pins on the web, and found there was a pin that was normally pulled low (or was it hi?) to enable the supply once the motherboard saw that the switch had been pressed. I permanently shorted this power supply enable pin on the main supply connector to another pin that pulled it low (ground) with a small section of bare wire and reattached the connector to the mother board. (The shorted pin was obviously an input to switch the supply on). I assume the gate driving the pin low to enable the supply (probably open-collector) was blown out. Other than the hassle of using the rear switch it's been fine for a year or so now. I will probably replace her PC when she graduates college next year (used mostly for iTunes, college papers, web research, and Sims).
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: OT: Dead power supply 2008/11/01 12:41:50 (permalink)
    The socket on the motherboard is a 24-pin, so I guess you are saying the plug from the power supply is a 20-pin. Many power supplies have a connector pair to make them compatible with both. That is a 20-pin plug that fills the first set of plugs and a 4-pin plug that fits next to it in the same socket to fill the other pins. If your power supply has that, it should be fine. Do have someone check the PS you have. PC (switching) power supplies will often not work if there is a problem with the load to which they are attached (motherboard).

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

@John- ASUS P5B-E, Intel Dual Core.

I've been waiting to hear back from Jim Roseberry, who was nice enough to send me a replacement. The problem is the MB connector is a 20-pin, and I need a 24-pin. I don't suppose there's an adapter for that?

Otherwise, I wouldn't care if it's online or brick except I want to get it working today!

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to see what's available locally. If nothing looks good I'll order online.

Thanks, everyone-

-Susan

P.S. @feedback- Just saw your post. Uh-oh. Motherboard issue, you say? How the heck to know?

Susan G
    RE: OT: Dead power supply 2008/11/01 12:59:38 (permalink)
    Hi All-

I updated my original post -- happy ending, thanks to Jim!

Billy: When I talked to Jim I mentioned what you said, and he said with no fan action or any signs of life at all it's most likely to be the PS, which in my case it was. My system is roughly the same age as yours, I think. I can check in a minute.

Thanks again, everyone!

-Susan

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: ALL SET! Thanks to Jim... OT: Dead power supply 2008/11/01 16:29:16 (permalink)
    You should be fine unless you are running your hair dryer off a USB port. The extra pins provide more power capacity, but most people probably overestimate the power their computer actually needs.

http://www.smps.us/20-to-24pin-atx.html

Update: Jim Roseberry just called me back, and the replacement PS he sent works fine! I just had to plug the MB connector in and leave 4 pins free. I told you hardware isn't my forté...

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1