AMD Chipset for DAW

Author
phillymac1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2011/03/29 22:35:37 (permalink)

AMD Chipset for DAW

Hey guys, my name is Phillip and I'm new to the forum and have been searching for a similar post that could help answer my questions.  I'm looking into getting back into recording music on my computer.  Not much gear just a ASR-X Pro sampler drum machine, a yamaha k49 midi controller, and a couple of vst instruments, sampletank and sonik synth.  I'm looking to go back to cakewalk or should I say sonar for my DAW because Pro Audio 9 was when I last used the brand with a Aardvark lx6 interface in WinXP, as you can see, it's been awhile :)

But to my question, I run AMD computer (currently 64x2 6000+ processor, 4GB ram, still have the Aardvark interface but since the company went out of business, may have to consider upgrading, 2 hard drive setup) all on a, don't laugh ECS A780GM-A board with  intergrated video, I also have a seperate pcie video card installed that I have the monitor hook into,  the chipset is AMD 780G.

I wanted to know with the AMD, is there a specific chipset that has been tested or highly recommended for DAW use with Sonar, have anyone in the forum using AMD 780G chipset to run a daw, if so, how are the results.  I'm not looking to go Intel route cause I figure it's not necessarily the brand of processor that causes any issues, but chipsets that these companies may not have test with their software, in my own opinion AMD strenghts are versitility, but it's there weakness too because with so many different variations of platforms and more chipsets than I can count, I don't think daw companies  test them all, hence more daw related issues.  Anywhoo, that's my two cents worth, once again I wanted to say "Hey" to the forum, and if can answer my post, I'd appreciate it....thanks

Phillip

7 Replies Related Threads

noldar12
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1075
    Re:AMD Chipset for DAW 2011/03/30 00:24:55 (permalink)
    Unfortunately for AMD, unless you are on a real tight budget and need to stay with AMD, the Intel i7 chips have left AMD fairly far behind.

If your needs are modest, if your track counts will not be that large, then AMD would be fine.  According to Scott at ADK, IIRC, the weaknesses of AMD become more evident the greater then number of plugins used.

Things have radically changed from several years ago, when AMD was king.

But, if your computer still works fine, and it will do what you need it to do for now, why upgrade right away?  The Aardvark interfaces were good, and again, if your needs are modest, can you get by with your existing system?  Granted, once the Aardvark breaks, you're done, and updated drivers, of course, do not exist (note: I had an Aardvark myself).

Rather than spend money now, why not first discover if music is something you want to get back into long-term?  If, you decide that you do want to get back in long-term, then upgrade.

Jim
    Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re:AMD Chipset for DAW 2011/03/30 15:26:07 (permalink)
    noldar12

According to Scott at ADK, IIRC, the weaknesses of AMD become more evident the greater then number of plugins used.

Does this also apply to the AMD Phenom (quad & six core) processors? Or was he refering to the older processors?

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:AMD Chipset for DAW 2011/03/30 15:39:09 (permalink)
    yes it applies the best Phenom 6 core (1090T) is basically only as good as Intels lowest i5 (750)

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    phillymac1
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:AMD Chipset for DAW 2011/03/30 22:58:12 (permalink)
    @noldar12 I'm looking to do no more than about 24 tracks at best, with about more than half of those coming from vst instrument plugins.  I'm not necessarily looking to make the switch to intel at this time, at best I'm looking to swap out my 64x2 6000+ for a phenom II quad core, and that would be as easy as dropping it in the mobo.  cheapest i7 runs about 300 bucks, then need another board then I would need more memory, cause I'm using 4gb of ddr2, that means I gotta get ddr3 for a intel setup, I'm not gonna do that when I'm still at the hobbyist level, I primarily wanted to know if my board with the 780G chipset could handle what I'm trying to achieve.

I'm definitely not gonna go into a intel vs amd thread and which is better, that's not my intention. I just wanna know if there were any recommended AMD chipset that works in a daw setup and also have anyone used the 780G AMD chipset in a daw situation and how did it work out for them...thanks
    Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re:AMD Chipset for DAW 2011/03/31 01:22:31 (permalink)
    I'm also at the hobbyist level and considering the price difference in the two, I'd have to stick to my budget. I've been using AMD's for about 10-12 years without any issues, but then again I really can't recall working on more than 30 tracks.

Sorry Phillip I can't give any input on the 780G AMD chipset, but after reading some info on it, it looks promising. AMD seems to promote it for the gamers, so it should work well in a DAW environment.....
    Check with Jim Roseberry (here in the foums)....he's a DAW builder/Sonar user and lot of people here highly recommend him.
    Good luck!!

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    noldar12
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1075
    Re:AMD Chipset for DAW 2011/03/31 02:00:00 (permalink)
    Given your goals and position at this point, spending as little as possible at this point sounds wise (I really don't want to get into a AMD vs. Intel debate either).

I do not have any experience with that chip, and so cannot give a direct answer to your question.

Good luck in your return to music creativity!

Jim
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:AMD Chipset for DAW 2011/03/31 09:14:33 (permalink)
    recommended chipset is the 890FX the 790 is also ok but the former is better
    you should be fine

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1