ARC 2 users pls advice...

Author
keyzs
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
2014/08/18 11:35:13 (permalink)

ARC 2 users pls advice...

hi all, i've recently got ARC 2 from IK.

however, after my setup i took a listen to The Eagles: Hotel California from their album Hell Freezes Over; this is one of my test tracks when auditioning systems.

The funny thing i am hearing is when the floor tom / conga comes in after the guitar solo, the new "corrected" sound seems to have been translated to a kick. The tail of the tom seems to be lost and replaced with quite deep kick tone. If i "un-correct" ARC, i get back the familiar tom sound. 

would any ARC System users pls kindly advice... thank you all in advance.

i'm using the Yamaha HS8 in a fairly treated room.

many thanks again.

11 Replies Related Threads

Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re: ARC 2 users pls advice... 2014/08/18 12:54:21 (permalink)
    I find that ARC is finicky. Making the measurements is the most daunting as keeping all the points symmetrical is not easy. I decided to physically measure my area and use bits of tape and placed them where I wanted to set the microphone so every spot I set it, was as precise as I could make it. I did more measurments than the minimum as well and found it to have greater accuracy.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but on the third edit button there is a big knob. It was set to -6db. I set it to 0db and found that to make a difference as well with low frequency response. It seems that all ARC is doing is clearing away irrelevant frequencies and making what you hear more clear. I always go back and forth though with it on and off.

I would continue to use references though. I'm not sure I would listen with in on though. Like any other tool, you can't solely depend on it.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    BobbyT
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re: ARC 2 users pls advice... 2014/08/18 15:55:13 (permalink)
    keyzs
     The funny thing i am hearing is when the floor tom / conga comes in after the guitar solo, the new "corrected" sound seems to have been translated to a kick. The tail of the tom seems to be lost and replaced with quite deep kick tone. If i "un-correct" ARC, i get back the familiar tom sound. 

I found that using ARC,or any other room correction tools does make some things sound a little different,that's because it's already been corrected in someone elses listening environment using tools much the same as you and I,so the listening should be done without correction in most cases.
    keyzs
    Re: ARC 2 users pls advice... 2014/08/18 20:26:29 (permalink)
    Guitarpima

I would continue to use references though. I'm not sure I would listen with in on though. Like any other tool, you can't solely depend on it.

BobbyT

I found that using ARC,or any other room correction tools does make some things sound a little different,that's because it's already been corrected in someone elses listening environment using tools much the same as you and I,so the listening should be done without correction in most cases.

Hi guys, thanks for the heads up... i guess this tool and listening practices are still new to me. i'll use it for a while and see how mixes translates elsewhere. 

if there are other suggestions, pls do continue to advice.

once again, many thanks...
    Mosvalve
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1194
    Re: ARC 2 users pls advice... 2014/08/18 20:28:57 (permalink)
    I don't think it's supposed to make your monitors sound good for normal listening like stereo speakers.

BobV 

ASUS Prime Z370-P - Intel Core i7+ 8700K 3.7GHZ 16GB Memory, Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU,  Windows 10 Pro 64bit,  , Sonar Platinum 64bit, Motu 828MK3 Hybrid, Warm Audio TB12 Pre, Warm Audio WA273 Pre, AEA RPQ 500 Pre, Warm Audio WA76 Compressor, Presonus D8 Pre, Tonelux EQ5P 500 Eq, Kush Electra 500 Eq, Lindell PEX 500 Eq, Yamaha 80M monitors with HS10W Sub,  and a bunch of other good stuff. I have a Roland Juno-106 that's looking for a new home. PM me.
    keyzs
    Re: ARC 2 users pls advice... 2014/08/18 21:00:00 (permalink)
    Mosvalve
    I don't think it's supposed to make your monitors sound good for normal listening like stereo speakers.

@BobV, ahhh.... i get it.... i guess its meant to be used for "my room" corrections during the mix stage of production and then when taking the mix out to other places, the ARC that was installed in "my room" will not be there. Hence "my mix" should translate well... (i hope... )

as such, for critical listening of completed fully mastered material in "my room", ARC should not be on as it was done in another room with other forms for treatment in "those rooms". i guess it does make sense now...

as i have had ARC only for the weekend, i will continue to try it out further.

many thanks again all.
    David
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 231
    Re: ARC 2 users pls advice... 2014/08/18 22:16:05 (permalink)
    Arc does work , but I found it needed some tweaking ,  In the end it is about how your mixes translate.
        For myself I found it over-corrected.  For example I use the Equator D8's  a very clear detailed speaker ,
    I found it took away the high mid / high end clarity , so I boosted that backup with a user curve,
      I have a dip at 70 htz and at 500 ,   I had to change that correction to about 1/2 .  
         I had done detailed measurements many times but this was the best way to make It work.
    I finally just went with a hardware eq  , used eq wizard and adjusted and am extremely happy with the results
    in translation .  ( I do have a very well treated room , this was to do the final tweaks)

David F

keyzs
    Re: ARC 2 users pls advice... 2014/08/19 11:57:40 (permalink)
    @David, thank you for your advice. 

initially when the room was setup it was tested with REW. the response was not too bad with the small amount of treatment i had; RT60 was really tight; apologies i dont have the original results. i will surely do the room test again when i have a little more time. however, the biggest null i had was at about 150Hz and seriously quite a huge boost at 70Hz. i did a little shifting of the speaker stands and the null got closer to the 0db line. however, the boost at 70Hz remains unaffected. 

i was thinking of getting the HS8S sub, however i wanted to give ARC a try. Another issue is the room is seriously small; 14ft x 11ft x 8.5ft and at one corner, there is a huge wooden cabinet. Not sure at this moment if the sub could solve the problem or become a huge nightmare instead... 

for now i'll probably experiment with ARC while still mixing the old way until i'm more accustomed to the "corrected" sound. 

once again many thanks all. Cheers!!!
    Treefight
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 868
    Re: ARC 2 users pls advice... 2014/08/19 12:23:38 (permalink)
    I too have found ARC 2 somewhat frustrating.  After a second, very detailed, measuring process, the mixes still translate with too much low end (i.e., while monitoring with ARC 2, there is not much bass, but after mixing down, the bass is too heavy in other listening environments).  I find that making a "Custom" correction algorithm doesn't make that much difference (trying to extend low frequencies so as to get a more accurate representation during mixing).

I find this particularly annoying, and am considering breaking out my old ERGO unit, which always translated into very accurate mixes.  For all of IKM's puffery about ARC 2, I am not at all impressed.

I'd take any advice - without trying to hijack the thread!

Stuff.
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: ARC 2 users pls advice... 2014/08/19 12:31:57 (permalink)
    I'm interested in this thread because I own the ARC 2 system.  It's been a godsend for me, but I've discovered that I've been confused at times by the change in sound.  I found, one day, that I had inadvertently left it in "virtual monitor" mode on the boom box setting, and once I had set it to "flat" for my monitors, everything went back to normal.  So... check your settings if anything seems amiss.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    keyzs
    Re: ARC 2 users pls advice... 2014/08/19 12:56:27 (permalink)
    For the moment, i'll just be testing with "flat".

i'll try to redo the measurements again over the weekend and perhaps if time permits do a test preview of the RT60 times using REW; from there we would be able to get a better picture of the situation. according to another forum, some fellas have gotten some seriously amazing results...

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-traps-acoustic-panels-foam-etc/153456-ik-multimedia-arc-system-vs-acoustic-treatment-14.html

for now, its back to the old ways without even having ARC on the Master Bus.... 

cheers all...!!!
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: ARC 2 users pls advice... 2014/08/19 23:07:35 (permalink)
    keyzs
    according to another forum, some fellas have gotten some seriously amazing results...

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-traps-acoustic-panels-foam-etc/153456-ik-multimedia-arc-system-vs-acoustic-treatment-14.html

I'd read as much as I could stand on this subject on the above forum.  I wouldn't say there is any kind of concensus as to the benefits of ARC.

Your boost at 70 hz can't be happening everywhere, and since it's a room mode your speaker placement won't affect it much.  On the other hand, where you put your head will have an enormous effect.  Have you tried moving that around ?

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1